Long, Long Ago I was Excited for Star Wars Bf

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

https://melsmifgames.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/long-long-ago-i-was-actually-excited-for-star-wars-battlefront-3/

Quated, from link and I agree 100% and often still play batllefront 2 so this is reposted because I'm a fan and agree with how disappointing ea's vision for the series.

"I loved Star Wars Battlefront 2, still do. My friends and I have been known to fire it up on the older systems and give it a run to this day. So naturally I was excited when rumors started to trickle out regarding the production of a third addition to the franchise, but now I’m less than enthused. It seems EA Games, and the subsidiaries attached to the product don’t really get what made the predecessor such a beloved game. Hell, this game looks like a step backward in so many ways I can’t help but wonder if it’s merely a cash grab.

EA is such an odd animal to me. On one hand the flagship and its subsidiaries can generate some truly great games. We’ve seen that recently with games like Mass Effect, the Dragon Age series, and I’m a fan of what little Garden Warfare I’ve seen. However, more often EA earns its reputation as a “ruiner” of sequels and a largely blah game maker in general. We’ve got more than enough examples of that on hand in that regard. The more I hear about SWB3, the more I fear it is going to land in the latter category and it saddens me greatly.

There is a long list of things I’ve found troubling about the latest reveal for the game. Mostly, it seems they are focusing almost exclusively on Player vs. Player multiplayer, and they aren’t even doing a great job with that! At this point we have been told there is a max player count of 40 players on the battlefield, presumably a 20 v 20 setup, and when asked if there were going to be any AI “bots” to supplement any missing players the response was “no comment”. So it looks like if you can’t get enough players you’ll have even fewer people fighting in what already feels more like a skirmish than a battle. It’s not like EA is incapable of more players either! Just look at Battlefield, they have a max limit of 64! Battlefront id supposed to highlight the massive battles that often went on behind the scenes in the beloved movie franchise but instead we’ve got some tidily little throwdowns between two groups of 20 people. Not to mention if you get to roll as one of the super powered “general” types (Vader, Boba Fett) you’ll probably dominate a measly force of twenty…

Space fights in a game about space fights? Forget it!

No indication there will be space battles, merely air/ground units planetside. The AT-AT walker shown somehow navigating Endor’s heavily forested terrain? Not player driveable. (as a fun drinking game check out the @EAStarWars twitter handle and take a drink every time they respond to someone with “We’re focusing on air battles and dogfights that take place on the vistas of our planets rather than space“)

Only four playable planets

No single player campaign, just a couple of missions you and one other person can play

No Galactic Conquest mode…

The last two items bother me the most. Actually, no, the last item bothers me the absolute most. It is almost enough to get me to completely ignore this game altogether. For those not in the know Galactic Conquest was the best part of Star Wars Battlefront 2. There is no way to argue against that fact, so don’t bother. It is what my friends and I play when we pick it up nearly a decade after its launch. Essentially Galactic Conquest mode allowed you, or you and some friends, to play a “Risk-like” game against the computer or other players where you fight battles on planets and in space to gain footholds in the galaxy, obtaining perks that help you further dominate, and eventually conquering the galaxy. I can safely say that absent Galactic Conquest mode or something similar SWB3 remains a shell of its former glory.

Granted the game isn’t even out yet so I can only base my interest level on what I’ve heard second-hand. What I’ve heard though has removed it from a “must have pre-order” to an “I may not even buy this game“. Honestly the game they are trying to get us excited about baffles me (for a sci-fi game called “Star Wars” you’re telling me we never even see space!?). The framework for how to make this game successful was already available for review. You take Star Wars Battlefront 2, you slap some fresh graphics on it, you add more maps and player options (not remove them), you ship it out. It was a task any rookie game developer could probably have handled but EA seems to have failed. I sincerely hope they allow people to mod this game. EA rarely impresses me, but this is just sad."

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

These are some valid complaints, and as a fan of the franchise myself I can understand how you see it, but it's important to remember that, up until recently we've had little or nothing to go on in the way of information regarding the game, and, though we received a CG trailer and some behind the scenes details, we really don't know much about the game overall. While it does seem a bit shady for the devs to be dodging the topic of the traditional Battlfront bot system in the game, as well as space battles, which received a bit of a mixed response last time around, I'm not going to call anything until we get a decent showing of gameplay, which will likely come at E3 this year. I wouldn't put any of these things past DICE, and EA isn't known to change their formula too often, but from what i've heard so far, the devs seem like their trying to stay true to the core franchise, and the fact that many of these things haven't been specifically ruled out yet is keeping me cautiously optimistic.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I knew as soon as it was announced that EA bought exclusive rights to the new Star Wars games license and that it would be out "in time for the movie" that it would be an incomplete pile of trash.

Unfortunately, it will sell amazingly well, and further justify to EA that they need to take content out of games and sell it to us later at inflated prices (I can guarantee there will be "feature packs" with all the missing modes later on down the line).

I won't be buying it... and at this point, I'm contemplating boycotting the Mirror's Edge reboot because DICE is just tooting the EA trumpet over this game.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

just get the game dude

pre-order get and get the season pass should have everything you need outa a next gen battlefront

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@ProtossX: Except all the features I wanted out of a new battlefront, and less then 9/10ths the amount of content my ps2 battlefront has. At this rate I don't think I'll have purchased an EA published game since Bf4 and I think It will stay that way for a long time with how things seem to be shaping up from the think tank driven EA.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It's being made by DICE and EA- what did you expect? It's not going to work on release day, and it's going to have about 25% of the content that Battlefront 2 had. This game is destined to flop

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@Shmiity: That's the thing it won't flop due to the crazy advertisement budget for the movie and this game. It's going to get crazy amounts of ads sell like hot cakes and then die out fast, since it's muyltiplayer only and we can expect a yearly release. Solidifying this bullshit as a business model for them. People will buy anything. They've proven it time and again. Fucking sucks most people have zero standards or want to look into the products before purchasing. Ruins it for those who actually have standards.

https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1968/7590/original.jpg

That picture sums up why I'm so pissed. Sorry for link and not photo but this sites img and link shit seems too have broken completely in the last four months for me. Nice to see they change things from functioning to non functioning with half the capability even when it does work. Thinking this next SW BF will be just the same as that.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@ribstaylor1: Deal breaker for me is no singleplayer and no galactic conquest

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@The_Last_Ride: Ya not having galactic conquest really put the nail in the coffin for me. It's what I still go back and play after all these years. It's what me and my friends still have a go at when were in the star wars mood. And if it's not present in the next iteration of Star wars battlefront, there will be no purchase.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Ya not having galactic conquest really put the nail in the coffin for me. It's what I still go back and play after all these years. It's what me and my friends still have a go at when were in the star wars mood. And if it's not present in the next iteration of Star wars battlefront, there will be no purchase.

I was actually going to pre-order this, now i am going to buy it used