List of games that have really good story lines.

#1 Edited by superdude4669 (25 posts) -

Other than skyrim, I would like a list of games with good storylines.

#2 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11662 posts) -

Skyrim ?

Well if Skyrim is your standard then I gues any game with a story will make the list. ;)

#3 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Skyrim ?

Well if Skyrim is your standard then I gues any game with a story will make the list. ;)

sums it up.

#4 Posted by wallacom (45 posts) -

the original CoD. Prince of persia trio. These are the one that stuck with me

#5 Posted by Jacanuk (4339 posts) -

Other than skyrim, I would like a list of games with good storylines.

Skyrim ???? what are you on about with that game great storyline, since when?

But a great storyline is games like Mass effect, GTA IV, LA Noire,

#6 Posted by Gannon27 (98 posts) -

If you want a game with a great storyline what about Bioshock. I have played every game, every dlc and I still don't completely understand the storyline. I have never seen a storyline discussed so much by so many people.

#7 Posted by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

Mega Man Legends.

#8 Posted by marcheegsr (2582 posts) -

Mass effect trilogy, Fallout 3 + Brotherhood of steel dlc, Dragon age origins, Deadly premonition, Beyond two souls, The Last of us

#9 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

planescape: torment
grim fandango

#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7437 posts) -

LOL Skyrim

Mass Effect Triolgy

GTA 4 and 5

Portal 2

#11 Posted by iamllamapie (211 posts) -

Skyrim? Really?

This tells me you haven't experience that many games or taken an interest in their stories. Try BioShock, Mass Effect Trilogy, Yakuza Series, Onimusha, Silent Hill etc.

#12 Edited by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

Mother 3 and Spec Ops: The Line put a lot of video game stories to shame.

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11662 posts) -

Alot of movie stories put mother 3 and Spec Ops stories to shame.

#14 Posted by superdude4669 (25 posts) -

Thanks guys, sorry about the skyrim part, I wasn't thinking when I posted this :]

#15 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

To the moon. Best story I've ever seen other than that try Bioshock.

#16 Posted by Grieverr (2687 posts) -

The Walking Dead. The Wolf Among Us. Speaking strictly of story, of course.

#17 Posted by Minishdriveby (9855 posts) -

Man the writing was terrible in To the Moon.

#18 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

and how exactly?? I found nothing wrong with it.

#19 Edited by SovietsUnited (2289 posts) -

Legacy of Kain
Spec Ops: The Line
Marathon trilogy
Planescape: Torment

#20 Posted by Minishdriveby (9855 posts) -

@Minishdriveby said:

@geniobastardo said:

The dialogue was chalk full of memes and internet humour. I thought the overall plot as alright, but the two scientists were a terrible.

#21 Edited by Firosen (427 posts) -

The Last of Us. The zombie apocalypse thing has been done to death (lol pun), but it's the interactions between the characters on their journeys that's the real draw of the game. It's an original take on an over-done concept, and the story that forms around the bonds of Joel, Ellie, and all the people they meet along the way that are the real meat of the game.

#22 Posted by MudoSkills (376 posts) -

If you have a PS2, Digital Devil Saga 1/2 is phenomenal. If not, there's a possibility it might get put on the Playsation Store at some point.

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11662 posts) -

@ Firosen

Only original in video games. And even then only in plot... Not in Narrative. I thought it was so boring. Left Behind was miles better but again the Narrative just wasn't good enough.

#24 Posted by Firosen (427 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: I dunno. I thought the narrative was creative in TLoU. I felt like the narrative conveyed the story very well and helped build up a believable father-daughter relationship between Joel and Ellie. More so than the relationship between my character and his wife in Skyrim (you've been gone for months - here's lunch and 1500 gold).

#25 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5986 posts) -

Very hard to go past Bioshock & Bioshock Infinite... also the Mass Effect series.

#26 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11662 posts) -

@ Firosen

thats all good..... For non-interactive medium like books and movies where you're suppose surrender and submit control.

But in video game. At the very least it they could relay the story in a way that doesn't take control away (Like Valve Games) it shouldn't briefly cease to be game just for the "feels" and at the very most it should let you play the plot points (Beyond 2 Souls) instead of making you watch it unfold.

#27 Posted by fully87 (26 posts) -

Ghost trick for the DS had a unique story, The walking dead game by telltale is a good shout also.

#28 Posted by Renouncereality (84 posts) -

@fully87: Yeah Telltales walking dead's story was amazing.

Also agree with all the standard ones ie. Mass effect, Dragon age and gone home.

However best story ever in a game for me is from the Witcher series. Most captivating games I have ever played!

#29 Edited by shadowkindgames (23 posts) -

Mass effect (Bar the ending :)), Planescape torment, Baldur's gate, Metro 2033, Dragon age Origins, Err pretty much anything from Bioware / Obsidian and Black Isle. Final fantasy 7 and 8? Chrono trigger, Fallout 3 was alright..

How could I forget the Witcher? Awesome stuff.

#30 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@geniobastardo said:

The dialogue was chalk full of memes and internet humour. I thought the overall plot as alright, but the two scientists were a terrible.

Well I do agree that sometimes they were full of internet jokes but DBZ and Hulk's references were funny.

#31 Edited by ChefPers0n (43 posts) -

Bioshock is generic, dystopian shit and Mass Effect barely deviates from the Space Opera template. Though I doubt this will sway OP who is impressed by derivative Fantasy at it's most basic, and on that note I suggest Dragon Age: Origins. Also, The Witcher 2 may be worth a look if you're feeling adventurous for some much better, yet still derivative, fantasy.

For future internet-goers skimming forum opinions through the warm house of 'Google search', if you disregard the overblown dialogue, early Silent Hill games are great in story and worth your time.

#32 Edited by SapSacPrime (8761 posts) -

If you enjoyed Skyrim's story TC don't let anybody else sway that descision, especially not when they list a franchise like ME which never lived up to the foundation layed by the first game in the series. I would personally choose Vagrant Story and the Witcher series, although I do enjoy to elder scrolls games story. Oh and as few have said Silent Hill, particularly the second game.

#33 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2957 posts) -

Mass Effect trilogy

The Witcher 1 & 2 (and 3 when it comes out)

The Book of Unwritten Tales

Broken Sword (all of them have great storylines)

Assassin's Creed (1 , 2 and Revelations . Brotherhood is OK as well)

Amnesia games are also pretty good at story

Freelancer

Alan Wake

Max Payne 1 and 2

Planescape Torment etc .

#34 Edited by sukraj (22608 posts) -

@wallacom said:

the original CoD. Prince of persia trio. These are the one that stuck with me

I love these games.

#35 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

I felt Enslaved had great pacing, narrative, and intruging premise. Worth a look for sure.

#36 Posted by SSlater413 (514 posts) -

The Metal Gear Solid Series and The Last of Us.

#37 Posted by Yoshi9000 (391 posts) -

My two favorite videogame storylines so far are Nier and 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors

Nier is has a very dark and twisted story, but it's not so apparent at first. The story is subtle but very well put together once everything makes sense. Voice acting is great for a JRPG, and the characters are all likeable, some more than others. Like I said, the story is subtle, and if you pay attention to detail and to the dialogue, you will pick up some moments both funny and heartbreaking. The ending section of the game isn't subtle though, and has some pretty epic moments.

999: A great mystery/thriller story. The reason it has such a great story is it falls mainly under the visual novel genre, and is written by the same author of some other visual novels. This was the only one released in the west though, along with the sequel virtues last reward. Both are great games, but I just liked the writing in 999 more. Play them both though, if you are looking for a great story and don't mind lots of reading.

#38 Posted by livingundead (225 posts) -

I disagree with Mass Effect having a great story, only because Bioware recycles the same basic story over and over. Their games are far too predictable.

As far as Skyrim not having a great story? I disagree somewhat. The story offered by Bethesda is not very good, but it's really easy to create your own story and that's where Bethesda strives. it's why people buy their games because people are only limited by their imaginations. I like Skyrim. Spent over 200 hours in that world. I don't think I even got half through the main quest because I was too busy exploring and making my own quests.

Shadowrun Returns is interesting. I like The Swapper, Bastion, and Gone Home. The Longest Journey is a classic. The Metro games are pretty entertaining. If the game has voice actors, as long as they make the story believable it'll get a pass. If the voice acting is cheesy, no matter how good the story should be it'll fall flat.

And games like Uncharted have great voice acting. At least the main roles are believable so the game world feels believable that's why it gets far more praise than it may deserve.

#39 Posted by Ballroompirate (22778 posts) -

Id have to go with a few of my fav stories

MGS1

MGS3

Tlou

Mass Effect 1

Persona 4 Golden

Kotor

FF6

FF12

Hotline Miami

#40 Edited by Behardy24 (3823 posts) -

The Metal Gear series, the bioshock series, and Mass Effect series.