Let's spot the influences in The Evil Within

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'd like to get some more discussion going about this game. Sadly, I still haven't had much time to play it as I'm only on chapter four, but where's what I've noticed.

The Last of Us - Sneaking around and stalking your enemies and stealth killing them definitely reminds me of The Last of Us. Plus, there's the bottle throwing to distract or stun them.

BioShock - This is a bit of a stretch, but I got a whiff of Bioshock when I heard the music from the gramophone on the way back to the hospital.

Silent Hill - Again, going back to the hospital. It's like traveling to a different dimension. Plus, the enemy design seems like it fits right in with Silent Hill's universe.

Resident Evil 4 - Chapter two and three reminded me of the beginning of Resident Evil with the old houses and shacks, and the fact that you had several routs to chased and flee.

How about you guys?

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#2  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

The entire first chapter is undoubtedly influenced by Outlast; the chapter taking place in an asylum with lots of scientific/paranormal experimentation, the fat guy that imprisons you is reminscent of the one in Outlast, hiding in the locker, the decaying aesthetic, focus on stealth... it's all there

Haven't played past that, will resume soon though

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JustPlainLucas

@SovietsUnited said:

The entire first chapter is undoubtedly influenced by Outlast; the chapter taking place in an asylum with lots of scientific/paranormal experimentation, the fat guy that imprisons you is reminscent of the one in Outlast, hiding in the locker, the decaying aesthetic, focus on stealth... it's all there

OUTLAST! I knew I was forgetting something. The hiding mechanic also reminded me of Clock Tower as well.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

is this game really scary? or is it like resident evil, just creepy? i want to play a new game but not suere if i go for this one, i dont like being scared

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#5 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

@SovietsUnited said:

OUTLAST! I knew I was forgetting something. The hiding mechanic also reminded me of Clock Tower as well.

Also, I found the reality warping "hospital" sequences very reminiscent of Condemned, due to the black & white gradient and fade effect on the entire screen. Then, starting Chapter 2, exploring the forest with the lamp strongly reminded me of Alan Wake

And it's only been 30 minutes of playtime :D

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

If only it was influence by President Evil 5 (Specifically Lost in Nightmares)

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I saw a stream of the first chapter. Aside from the very obvious similarities with Outlast, what I really noticed was... Tomb Raider!

• You're hanging upside down in the bad guy's lair, and start swinging in order to free yourself. Even the camera movement when landing on the ground was quite similar.
  • There's a section where you're sliding and you have to move left and right to dodge stuff. Just like the river sections in TR.
  • There's a part where you land in a blood pool, then emerge from it with your whole face and body completely red and covered with blood. Which also happens in TR.
Avatar image for empiresdownfall
EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By EmpiresDownfall
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

@humanistpotato said:

is this game really scary? or is it like resident evil, just creepy? i want to play a new game but not suere if i go for this one, i dont like being scared

Keep in mind that Im very, VERY hard to scare, so I dont think it's scary. It's definitely tense though. My fiance think it's very scary, especially when Laura, or Nora, whatever her name is, shows up.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JustPlainLucas

@humanistpotato said:

It's more like Silent Hill scary. It's unnerving and disturbing with the occasional jump out at you BOOs. Of course, I'm still only at chapter five.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Outlast and Resident Evil covers 90% of the games ideas

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

The Shining (film) - There is a segment of the game where a corridor comes gusting down with tons of red blood.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It's Resident Evil 4 with touches of Silent Hill, Clocktower, and Outlast. It's honestly just Resident Evil 4 thats slightly sloppier and more difficult.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@empiresdownfall said:

@humanistpotato said:

Keep in mind that Im very, VERY hard to scare, so I dont think it's scary. It's definitely tense though. My fiance think it's very scary, especially when Laura, or Nora, whatever her name is, shows up.

@JustPlainLucas said:

@humanistpotato said:

It's more like Silent Hill scary. It's unnerving and disturbing with the occasional jump out at you BOOs. Of course, I'm still only at chapter five.

i checked some videos from twitch, it looked like a action game, i played the game myself, bu didnt even finished finished fist chapter, i dont now i guess i dont like scary games, at all.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

Appearently the may have also been infected by Dark Souls too.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

Appearently the may have also been infected by Dark Souls too.