Kotaku: Kinect Mendatory in next Xbox. Plus more.

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Eh, I always felt Kinect was underwhelming. Having used it a few times it's not very accurate. May have been a software issue, though.

OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts

[QUOTE="OctaBech"]
MS has been rocking at acquiring 3'rd party exclusives.Black_Knight_00

Like what

I guess you forgot the beginning of this generation, then we have the 1 year timed exclusives, Gears of War, the Witcher, Minecraft, Metro... :)

So to recap these rumors: 

-No used games

-Always-online connection required

-Mandatory Kinect

Has there been a single good rumor regarding this console yet?

Vari3ty

Yes the rumor about  being able to play a game while installing it is outstanding and about time. Suddenly it's viable to download 5GB demos and buy 30GB games online.

I've been puzzled throughout current generation why Sony didn't bother to try this.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Why won't Kinect die?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#54 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
The mandatory Kinnect thing sounds like BS. That alone would drive the cost of the system pretty high I would think.rragnaar
And it's something that most of us don't want. Not liking how MS are trying to cram Kinect down our throats. I don't want a camera staring at me all day. Next you will hear MS can activate any camera and turn it on and watch whenever they feel like it.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#55 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Just because it "sold an absurd amount of units" doesn't mean it's a good product at all. You need to realize that.Metamania

It being a good product or not doesn't matter to them when they're constantly making loads of money off it. If people will buy it, why stop making it?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#56 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[

I guess you forgot the beginning of this generation, then we have the 1 year timed exclusives, Gears of War, the Witcher, Minecraft, Metro... :)OctaBech
I can play all of those games on PC. I'm talking about real exclusives, those games that are only available on that syatem.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#57 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[[QUOTE="OctaBech"]I guess you forgot the beginning of this generation, then we have the 1 year timed exclusives, Gears of War, the Witcher, Minecraft, Metro... :)Black_Knight_00

I can play all of those games on PC. I'm talking about real exclusives, those games that are only available on that syatem.

But you dont even have a gaming PC.

Besides, not many PCs will be able to play next gen games at the fidelity we will see on Durango and Orbis.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]The mandatory Kinnect thing sounds like BS. That alone would drive the cost of the system pretty high I would think.Rattlesnake_8
And it's something that most of us don't want. Not liking how MS are trying to cram Kinect down our throats. I don't want a camera staring at me all day. Next you will hear MS can activate any camera and turn it on and watch whenever they feel like it.

They'll probably throw that in the EULA that you'll have to accept to use Xbox Live. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[[QUOTE="OctaBech"]I guess you forgot the beginning of this generation, then we have the 1 year timed exclusives, Gears of War, the Witcher, Minecraft, Metro... :)S0lidSnake

Besides, not many PCs will be able to play next gen games at the fidelity we will see on Durango and Orbis.

Didn't you see we were talking about current-gen "exclusives"? I can assemble a 250 bucks PC overnight and play all the games he mentioned without ever needing an XBOX 360. It's not an exclusive if anyone with a PC can play it. Not so with PS3-only games: want some Uncharted? Buy a PS3. That's an exclusive.
CastieI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 CastieI
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts
I must be turning into a casual gamer, because every time I use my neighbors Kinect I have a blast with it. Kinect Adventures and Child of Eden were great, and that one Sega game that almost feels like a House of the Dead style arcade game was cool in it's own way once I had some practice in on it. Of course I lack the funds to go buy an Xbox and a Kinect, but once my tax refund is in, if they had a good bundle, I'd go for it. Or just get a Move wand bundle for my PS3 and start downloading some arcade shooters, I love those games.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 S0lidSnake

Didn't you see we were talking about current-gen "exclusives"? I can assemble a 250 bucks PC overnight and play all the games he mentioned without ever needing an XBOX 360. It's not an exclusive if anyone with a PC can play it. Not so with PS3-only games: want some Uncharted? Buy a PS3. That's an exclusive.Black_Knight_00

lol $250 PC? Good luck playing the Witcher 2 on that. 

PC gaming is a very niche market. Nothing as big as console. Let's take a poll in this very thread and see how many people playing Mass Effect, Bioschock, Splinter Cell, ALan Wake and Witcher 2 on PC. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Didn't you see we were talking about current-gen "exclusives"? I can assemble a 250 bucks PC overnight and play all the games he mentioned without ever needing an XBOX 360. It's not an exclusive if anyone with a PC can play it. Not so with PS3-only games: want some Uncharted? Buy a PS3. That's an exclusive.S0lidSnake

PC gaming is a very niche market. Nothing as big as console. Let's take a poll in this very thread and see how many people playing Mass Effect, Bioschock, Splinter Cell, ALan Wake and Witcher 2 on PC. 

It doesn't matter: you can play those games on PC no problem. Meaning they are not XBOX exclusives.
OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 OctaBech
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I can play all of those games on PC. I'm talking about real exclusives, those games that are only available on that syatem.

Black_Knight_00

Didn't you see we were talking about current-gen "exclusives"? I can assemble a 250 bucks PC overnight and play all the games he mentioned without ever needing an XBOX 360. It's not an exclusive if anyone with a PC can play it. Not so with PS3-only games: want some Uncharted? Buy a PS3. That's an exclusive.

And then hook it up to your TV, for comfortable sofa gaming... yeah hardly anyone in the real world does this, which is proved by sales numbers of the aforementioned games. Heck most consoles owners only have one console in the livingroom, they do not daily switch between consoles (SW is a nice indicator of that). Look I loved my PS2 and couldn't wait for the PS3, but then my favorite franchises like Tales and AceCombat plus new interesting Franchises from Capcom went straight to the 360, which I ended up getting instead. I see nothing preventing MS from buying exclusives from starving publishers again in their fight to topple Apple and Google in the war for the livingroom. MS will use every "dirty" but legit trick in the book, it's in their DNA (DirectX to sell windows, free IE to kill Napster, 500 man team to copy Mosaic, free mediaplayer to promote own wmv codec while killing quicktime, Messenger to kill ICQ/AIM, complicating having Google as main search engine to promote Bing, W8 to catch up on the apps market, the whole story behind Office and so on).
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#64 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

PC gaming is a very niche market. Nothing as big as console.S0lidSnake

What the hell are you talking about? The PC market is by far the largest.

OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 OctaBech

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]PC gaming is a very niche market. Nothing as big as console.UpInFlames

Not for gaming. Haven't been since forever really.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]PC gaming is a very niche market. Nothing as big as console.OctaBech

Yes, for gaming. The console market doesn't come close to supporting such a huge number of insanely popular games whose community size dwarfs any console game community (World of Warcraft, The Sims, Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Dota 2, etc., etc.).

Anyone who thinks that the PC market is smaller than any console has no idea what they're talking about.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 S0lidSnake

t doesn't matter: you can play those games on PC no problem. Meaning they are not XBOX exclusives.Black_Knight_00

Console exclusives. There. 

If you didnt have a 360 back in 2007, you would've had to build at least a $600 PC (twice as much as the cheapest 360) or a $1000 PC to make sure it looks and runs as good or better than the console versions. And that's people who know how to build PCs. Most people, people like you, went for the 360 instead. 

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]t doesn't matter: you can play those games on PC no problem. Meaning they are not XBOX exclusives.S0lidSnake

If you didnt have a 360 back in 2007, you would've had to build at least a $600 PC (twice as much as the cheapest 360) or a $1000 PC to make sure it looks and runs as good or better than the console versions. And that's people who know how to build PCs. Most people, people like you, went for the 360 instead. 

"console exclusives" :lol: what a ridiculous term.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="OctaBech"][QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

UpInFlames

Yes, for gaming. The console market doesn't come close to supporting such a huge number of insanely popular games whose community size dwarfs any console game community (World of Warcraft, The Sims, Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Dota 2, etc., etc.).

Anyone who thinks that the PC market is smaller than any console has no idea what they're talking about.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]t doesn't matter: you can play those games on PC no problem. Meaning they are not XBOX exclusives.Bigboi500

How is it ridiculous? Please enlighten me. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#71 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

S0lidSnake

The PC gaming market is bigger than the console market. However, the bulk of the gaming is not in the high end 3D that is common on the console but the simple social networking games that clock in insane amounts of revenue. In addition to that, the majority of the population have a PC and the main piece of hardware that is lacking for modern day gaming in most computers is a good graphic card that would be less than $250. Also, this is the last generation for console gaming. Console gaming would be niche in about 5-8 years.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

It makes it sound like PC doesn't exist. It's a nonsensical term created by 360 fanatics who got tired of their exclusives ending up on PC. PC isn't technically a "console", but it plays games just like consoles do, so to even use that term is being disingenuous at best, and nerd raging anal at worst.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Pedro

The PC gaming market is bigger than the console market. However, the bulk of the gaming is not in the high end 3D that is common on the console but the simple social networking games that clock in insane amounts of revenue. In addition to that, the majority of the population have a PC and the main piece of hardware that is lacking for modern day gaming in most computers is a good graphic card that would be less than $250. Also, this is the last generation for console gaming. Console gaming would be niche in about 5-8 years.

Yup. See this is what I have a problem with everytime this comes up and UIF gets upset. Why in the world would I care about Farmville sales numbers? Or Sims for that matter? Or even World of Warcraft? Blackknight and I are talking about XBox exclusives that are on PC. World of Warcraft is not on Xbox. Sims isnt either. OF COURSE I am talking about the high end 3D games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. That's what our entire argument was.... high end 3D games as you put them.

I dont think anyone here would claim that the PC centric games like DOTA2, Sims and MMOs have a big demand on consoles. Just like how no one should/could claim that console centric like Mass Effect, Bioshock and Alan Wake would sell as much if not more on PC. Hence, PC gaming for such titles is niche at best. Hell, Rockstar didnt even bother porting over their biggest game in 2010 to PC. They havent even announced the PC version of GTA4. If it was the largest market for such games then Rockstar would be all over it. But right now, they are treating it like they are treating the Wii U port. That right there is all I need to say.

All I was saying was that back in 2007, people chose the Xbox over the PC to play games like Mass Effect and Bioshock. If anyone has sales numbers that say otherwise then I will gladly retract my earlier statement. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]"console exclusives" :lol: what a ridiculous term.

Bigboi500

It makes it sound like PC doesn't exist. It's a nonsensical term created by 360 fanatics who got tired of their exclusives ending up on PC. PC isn't technically a "console", but it plays games just like consoles do, so to even use that term is being disingenuous at best, and nerd raging anal at worst.

lol the f*ck are you talking about?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Pedro

Yup. See this is what I have a problem with everytime this comes up and UIF gets upset. Why in the world would I care about Farmville sales numbers? Or Sims for that matter? Or even World of Warcraft? Blackknight and I are talking about XBox exclusives that are on PC. World of Warcraft is not on Xbox. Sims isnt either. OF COURSE I am talking about the high end 3D games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. That's what our entire argument was.... high end 3D games as you put them.

I dont think anyone here would claim that the PC centric games like DOTA2, Sims and MMOs have a big demand on consoles. Just like how no one should/could claim that console centric like Mass Effect, Bioshock and Alan Wake would sell as much if not more on PC. Hence, PC gaming for such titles is niche at best. Hell, Rockstar didnt even bother porting over their biggest game in 2010 to PC. They havent even announced the PC version of GTA4. If it was the largest market for such games then Rockstar would be all over it. But right now, they are treating it like they are treating the Wii U port. That right there is all I need to say.

All I was saying was that back in 2007, people chose the Xbox over the PC to play games like Mass Effect and Bioshock. If anyone has sales numbers that say otherwise then I will gladly retract my earlier statement. 

S0lidSnake

Solid, there is a difference between PC gaming is niche vs games of genre X is niche on the PC. Also folks who choose the Xbox 360 were already gaming on the original Xbox. Most gamers don't run into the dilema of PC or Xbox 360. Console gamers make decisions along the lines of Xbox 360 or PS3. PC gamers would be more like Intel or AMD or Nvidia?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 c_rakestraw  Moderator

It makes it sound like PC doesn't exist. It's a nonsensical term created by 360 fanatics who got tired of their exclusives ending up on PC. PC isn't technically a "console", but it plays games just like consoles do, so to even use that term is being disingenuous at best, and nerd raging anal at worst.Bigboi500

The term has its place. Dismissing it entirely is a mistake.

Saying a multiplatform game that only appears on console is a "console exclusive" is accurate, as the game is only available on those platforms. Saying a multiplatform game that appears on PC and consoles is somehow "console exclusive," however, is madness since there's no exclusivity anymore.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 S0lidSnake

Solid, there is a difference between PC gaming is niche vs games of genre X is niche on the PC. Also folks who choose the Xbox 360 were already gaming on the original Xbox. Most gamers don't run into the dilema of PC or Xbox 360. Console gamers make decisions along the lines of Xbox 360 or PS3. PC gamers would be more like Intel or AMD or Nvidia?

Pedro

I understand. I was busy watching the Dorner manhunt live at the time, and didnt have time to be politically correct.... especially when I was talking to a person who is a console gamer.

Didnt figure UIF's spidey sense to be so strong. 

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]It makes it sound like PC doesn't exist. It's a nonsensical term created by 360 fanatics who got tired of their exclusives ending up on PC. PC isn't technically a "console", but it plays games just like consoles do, so to even use that term is being disingenuous at best, and nerd raging anal at worst.c_rake

The term has its place. Dismissing it entirely is a mistake.

Saying a multiplatform game that only appears on console is a "console exclusive" is accurate, as the game is only available on those platforms. Saying a multiplatform game that appears on PC and consoles is somehow "console exclusive," however, is madness since there's no exclusivity anymore.

I didn't think of that, but you are correct.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Pedro
Its funny how you will say consoles drive the industry when this gen has suffered the most developer loss and bankruptcy and is mainly due to the same consoles.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 S0lidSnake

Its funny how you will say consoles drive the industry when this gen has suffered the most developer loss and bankruptcy and is mainly due to the same consoles.Pedro

Yeah the worst recession since the great depression had nothing to do with it. :P

EDIT: lol at dvader struggling with quotes. 3 Edits and it's still a mess. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Pedro

[QUOTE="Pedro"]Its funny how you will say consoles drive the industry when this gen has suffered the most developer loss and bankruptcy and is mainly due to the same consoles.S0lidSnake

Yeah the worst recession since the great depression had nothing to do with it. :P

EDIT: lol at dvader struggling with quotes. 3 Edits and it's still a mess. 

The problem started before that, when stupid PC devs decided to jump ship for monetary gains only to be buried alive. The recession then ate the weaker console devs and recently devoured THQ.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Pedro
[QUOTE="Pedro"]Its funny how you will say consoles drive the industry when this gen has suffered the most developer loss and bankruptcy and is mainly due to the same consoles.dvader654
And its always the biggest stories, again driven by console gaming. :P

Well at least we know this would the last generation for console gaming. :o
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Pedro
[QUOTE="dvader654"] Yeah ok. :lol:

I have the patience, I will wait the 8 years this generation is going to last. Hopefully this site wil still exist by then so that I can read your response to me being right. :)
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I have the patience, I will wait the 8 years this generation is going to last. Hopefully this site wil still exist by then so that I can read your response to me being right. :)Pedro

You seem awfully sure of yourself. What have you got against consoles, anyway?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="dvader654"] Yeah ok. :lol:Pedro
I have the patience, I will wait the 8 years this generation is going to last. Hopefully this site wil still exist by then so that I can read your response to me being right. :)

Why? May I ask do you think this will be the last gen? Is every hardware company going to go bankrupt? Are games going to become too expensive to make? Are tablets and cellphone going to make consoles extinct? Is there a one console future on the horizon? Are we all going to become PC gamers?

Serious question. I have seen you bring this up quite a few times and am just curious.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Pedro

[QUOTE="Pedro"]I have the patience, I will wait the 8 years this generation is going to last. Hopefully this site wil still exist by then so that I can read your response to me being right. :)c_rake

You seem awfully sure of yourself. What have you got against consoles, anyway?

I game on both consoles and on the PC and enjoy them both. Its the merging of the technology that would render the traditional notion of a console useless. You can already see the trend with consoles become less and less dedicated gaming systems. As digital downloads increase the need for a dedicated system would diminish. Console gaming would transition into multimedia non specific systems that is not limited to a specific brand or company.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Pedro

[QUOTE="Pedro"][QUOTE="dvader654"] Yeah ok. :lol:S0lidSnake

Why? May I ask do you think this will be the last gen? Is every hardware company going to go bankrupt? Are games going to become too expensive to make? Are tablets and cellphone going to make consoles extinct? Is there a one console future on the horizon? Are we all going to become PC gamers?

Serious question. I have seen you bring this up quite a few times and am just curious.

Well in addition to what I said to C_rake the industry and the technology is pushing towards a centralised system. I would not be suprised that gaming as a whole is eventually offloaded to some remote server in the future.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Pedro
[QUOTE="dvader654"] So lets get this straight so that you dont try to spin this later. You are saying there will be no PS5, Xbox 4 or Nintendo whatever. But there maybe still something that connects to your TV and is a gaming machine but its not only a gaming system. Correct?

Close enough. It would not be classified as a console or a PC. Try not to die in the next 8 years :)
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Close enough. It would not be classified as a console or a PC. Try not to die in the next 8 years :)Pedro

So something in between then. Hm... that sounds about right.

I dont think you are that crazy anymore but I do think the brands will still exist. Some changes to what a console is is coming for sure though.dvader654

Yeah. Just a matter of what form they take. Can't imagine them all staying in the hardware business if it isn't lucrative anymore, and an all-digital future would suggest that.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#97 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]Just because it "sold an absurd amount of units" doesn't mean it's a good product at all. You need to realize that.c_rake

It being a good product or not doesn't matter to them when they're constantly making loads of money off it. If people will buy it, why stop making it?

See, this I can't argue on, but at the same time, you may as well blame it on the people that do vote with their wallets. So it's really our fault for making it such a big deal when it really isn't.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 UpInFlames

Yeah no. The console industry drives this industry, not PC. Just look at all the biggest game companies, the grand grand majority of the best selling games, where are they all making their money? (Cell phones :P )

How about E3 our industries premier event, would you dare say that it is a PC centric event. It is a console dominated event cause CONSOLES drive this industry.dvader654

Please, dvader. You are so disconnected with all aspects of PC gaming that it would take a while for me to explain how and why the PC market is the biggest. Seeing as how you literally know nothing about it, and how we did this dance multiple times over the years, just trust me on this. PC is huge.

The multiplatform console-centric games usually sell better on consoles, but try to understand that there is a huge market on PC for games that you probably never even heard of. And those console-centric games still sell well on PC. It's the only market big enough to support all these titles.

Also, Gamescom is the biggest event of the game industry and PC is prominent there.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 UpInFlames

All I was saying was that back in 2007, people chose the Xbox over the PC to play games like Mass Effect and Bioshock. If anyone has sales numbers that say otherwise then I will gladly retract my earlier statement.S0lidSnake

None of which is relevant. Your earlier statements were false. If you admit you were mistaken, great. Next time specifiy what you want to say instead of making broad and incorrect statements.

And did you just draw a line between PC and Wii U? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#100 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I'm still thinking back to all the lies and half truths Microsoft used to bullshlt everyone with the first Kinect, and I can only imagine the amount of it with the Kinect 2 unveiling. It's going to be legendary. Wonder who they'll find to do the fake tech demo now that Molyneaux is gone?