Kotaku claim to have full details on Playstation Orbis devkits, controller, etc.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Kotaku has managed to get the specs of the Orbis devkits.

We'll begin with the specs.And before we go any further, know that these are current specs for a PS4 development kit, not the final retail console itself.So while the general gist of the things you see here may be similar to what makes it into the actual commercial hardware, there's every chance someif not all of itchanges, if only slightly.

That being the case, here's what we know is inside PS4 development kitsmodel # DVKT-KS000Kas of January 2013. As you'll see, some things have changed since earlier kits became available in March 2012.

System Memory: 8GB
Video Memory: 2.2 GB
CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
GPU: AMD R10xx
Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
Drive: Blu-Ray
HDD: 160GB
Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels

"British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen.Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button."

Kotaku

The way it handles user accounts sounds a lot smarter too...

Sony is trying to change the way you think about user accounts with the PS4. As it stands now, and this applies to all current consoles the PS3 (and the Wii U), when you log in, you log in as a single user. With Orbis, Sony is moving the place of "ownership" away from the console, with something it calls "multi-user simultaneous logins."

Which means that the PS4 will let more than one person be logged into the same system at the same time. It achieves this by linking control pads to user accounts; as each new controller syncs with the system, that player's account can be logged in as well. Accounts won't be "locked" to a controller; you'll simply be prompted to sign in to an account every time an extra pad is connected to the console.

One application we learned about for this feature would be that, were four players in a co-op battle able to defeat a boss, then all four would receive trophies.

We only learned of this feature in relation to local accounts stored on the console itself. It's unclear whether you'd also be able to do this via the PlayStation Network if you were playing online.

Lots more at the link.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#2 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

So is it's GPUand CPU a good improvement or not? Also how much RAM does it have? There are lot's of different aspects, but either way I know the PS4 is gonna rock! And the controller sounds interesting, I just hope it doesn't change the main layout of the Dual Shock it's self.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rragnaar
These should probably be taken with a grain of salt since they don't seem to match the other leaks out there. Then again, all of these could be legitimate devkit leaks, but just from different points in time since the hardware gets revised during the development of the system.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#4 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Interesting way of handling accounts. Sounds like it would be real expensive if you share your system with multiple people, but clever nonetheless.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Now we're up to 8 GB ram. If it keeps going this way, we'll be up to 64 GB by the time it launches. :P

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Which means that the PS4 will let more than one person be logged into the same system at the same time. It achieves this by linking control pads to user accounts; as each new controller syncs with the system, that player's account can be logged in as well

Makes sense. Littlebigplanet already does that.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart

Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch.

The controller rumor is the most exciting one for me. Having a touch pad might not be useful for many game types, but its orders of magnitude cheaper than a screen, so even with such a button the PS4 controllers might stay inexpensive and retain their current form factor.

Last but not least, I'm not a developer myself, but I've always heard that devkits have twice the RAM of consoles. 10 GBs of fast ram would be awesome though.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
I think its in Sonys and MSs best interest to avoid gimmicky controllers with cheap addons, all that will accomplish is making the Wii U look better. Consumers will think they are similar but Wii U pad is the most elaborate so they go with that option instead.
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Interesting way of handling accounts. Sounds like it would be real expensive if you share your system with multiple people, but clever nonetheless.

c_rake

wait doesn't 360 already supports this feature? oO

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CarnageHeart

I think its in Sonys and MSs best interest to avoid gimmicky controllers with cheap addons, all that will accomplish is making the Wii U look better. Consumers will think they are similar but Wii U pad is the most elaborate so they go with that option instead. F1Lengend

I agree, but if they go with gimmicks, either let consumers avoid the gimmicks (based on the leaks, the Kinect seems to be optional) or don't make them pay extra for them (which will hopefully be what Sony does).

Nobody cares about the tilt sensing in the PS3's controller, but people don't pay extra for it, so once vibration was restored (remember its initial absence?), all complaints about the tilt feature ceased.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

The controller leak is the best part. Im glad its just a cheap touchpad instead of an expensive LCD screen.

The devkit specs dont mean much now that we have actual specs already.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#12 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

wait doesn't 360 already supports this feature? oOV3rciS

Does it? I don't have an Xbox so I wouldn't know.

Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]wait doesn't 360 already supports this feature? oOc_rake

Does it? I don't have an Xbox so I wouldn't know.

Yes it does, that was thr first thing I thought after reading this

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rragnaar

This is a quick photoshop I worked up that could make sense. Removing the start and select buttons, moving the PS button down and smoothing over the bevelled edge between the edge of the controller and the center would give plenty of room for a touchscreen without being gimmicky.

dxlkkx.jpg

The start and select buttons are somewhat irrelevant. Anymore the select button is just used as another face button, and the functionality of the start button could be folded into the PS button. One button press pauses the game, and a double tap of the PS button could bring up OS features. For backwards compatibility, the left side of the touch panel would be the select button, and the right side would be start.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

This is a quick photoshop I worked up that could make sense. Removing the start and select buttons, moving the PS button down and smoothing over the bevelled edge between the edge of the controller and the center would give plenty of room for a touchscreen without being gimmicky.

dxlkkx.jpg

The start and select buttons are somewhat irrelevant. Anymore the select button is just used as another face button, and the functionality of the start button could be folded into the PS button. One button press pauses the game, and a double tap of the PS button could bring up OS features. For backwards compatibility, the left side of the touch panel would be the select button, and the right side would be start.

rragnaar

They clearly need to fix triggers on dualshocks... they simply suck! Also repositioning the analog sticks might be a good idea.