Konami and Capcom, among other Japanese developers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

What has happened with Japanese developers? Remember when Capcom, Konami, Square and Enix among others, used to make video games that defined this industry? Castlevania, Contra, Breath of Fire, Gradius, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Actaiser, Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma, Star Ocean, Mana series, Resident Evil. These games used to be the games that made a system worth owning. How is it nowadays?

Let's look at Konami releases this generation: MGS4, Catlevania: Lords of Shadow, Silent Hill Downpour. One of these games is excellent, one is pretty good, and one is kind of up for debate. These are the games that are considered the best released by Konami this generation. How about Capcom? Let's see. Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Resident Evil 5 and 6, Mega Man... Huh? Nevermind. None of these games are considered to be among the best of this generation. Granted, Capcom is responsible for rejuvenating the fighting genre and that is probably the only thing they deserve some serious credit for in these past years. Square Enix? Final Fantasy XIII. Pass. XIV? I'm throwing up. Hey, Dragon Quest, look at that.

I'm one of those annoying people that goes around telling people that "the old days were better". These same developers used to make games that defined a genre, that defined the industry, or hell, defined gaming.

How do you feel about these developers that once produced something golden and nowadays just produce games that are OK?

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts

What has happened with Japanese developers? Remember when Capcom, Konami, Square and Enix among others, used to make video games that defined this industry? Castlevania, Contra, Breath of Fire, Gradius, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Actaiser, Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma, Star Ocean, Mana series, Resident Evil. These games used to be the games that made a system worth owning. How is it nowadays?

Let's look at Konami releases this generation: MGS4, Catlevania: Lords of Shadow, Silent Hill Downpour. One of these games is excellent, one is pretty good, and one is kind of up for debate. These are the games that are considered the best released by Konami this generation. How about Capcom? Let's see. Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Resident Evil 5 and 6, Mega Man... Huh? Nevermind. None of these games are considered to be among the best of this generation. Granted, Capcom is responsible for rejuvenating the fighting genre and that is probably the only thing they deserve some serious credit for in these past years. Square Enix? Final Fantasy XIII. Pass. XIV? I'm throwing up. Hey, Dragon Quest, look at that.

I'm one of those annoying people that goes around telling people that "the old days were better". These same developers used to make games that defined a genre, that defined the industry, or hell, defined gaming.

How do you feel about these developers that once produced something golden and nowadays just produce games that are OK?

OniStrat
I can say the same thing with Activision, Interplay, Take 2, Acclaim, Midway, EA, Crystal Dynamics, Accolade, Lucas Arts, THQ, Looking Glass, Vicarious Visions, etc, for American Developers. It's not just japanese. Both sides have lost their path and the only way to get them back on is too stop buying their bad games instead of buying them hoping they will get better as the latter does not change their strategy and they will continue doing the same thing. People need to realize this but they keep doing the former and support their habits being stubborn. Also Capcom did not rejuvenate the fighting genre, i have no idea where the heck people get that from.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Japanese gaming has gone under, unfortunately. They're not in a good state right now.

The case of Konami is perhaps the worst. They don't even make their cla$$ic franchises themselves (CONTRA, GRADIUS, CASTLEVANIA, SILENT HILL) anymore, except from the few arcade ones they have running.

They've disbanded most of their old guard studios.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OniStrat

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

Dj-Dampleaf

I can say the same thing with Activision, Interplay, Take 2, Acclaim, Midway, EA, Crystal Dynamics, Accolade, Lucas Arts, THQ, Looking Glass, Vicarious Visions, etc, for American Developers. It's not just japanese. Both sides have lost their path and the only way to get them back on is too stop buying their bad games instead of buying them hoping they will get better as the latter does not change their strategy and they will continue doing the same thing. People need to realize this but they keep doing the former and support their habits being stubborn. Also Capcom did not rejuvenate the fighting genre, i have no idea where the heck people get that from.

I'm not sure I agree with you. I think the western developers are blooming right now, and have been for a while. Today the industry is western driven. Many Japanese developers try to mimic the style of the American and European games. The point of my first post, which apparently didn't come through well enough, is that Japanes games have lost their identity and driving force in many aspects.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dj-Dampleaf

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]

OniStrat

I'm not sure I agree with you. I think the western developers are blooming right now, and have been for a while. Today the industry is western driven. Many Japanese developers try to mimic the style of the American and European games. The point of my first post, which apparently didn't come through well enough, is that Japanes games have lost their identity and driving force in many aspects.

No, a lot of people are misinformed. U.S devs are dying the most, and the top western devs are few, and even if those few top companies partner, most of the time the partner ends up struggling making a profit, or they get their creativity killed to meet guidelines they must use. There are many Western devs making games with elements from ONE Western Dev, it's not as black and white as you think. The industry used to be even on both sides, and while you could say using labels like western that westerns are booming, only certain games, which is why i would take this gen to be the gen were the most devs copied very few games or took elements that are KNOWN to be from said games.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Panzer_Zwei

Well, you mentioned games like CASTLEVANIA : LORDS OF SHADOW, and SILENT HILL : DOWNPOUR.

These are not Japanese-made games. They're European games.

Konami hired external studios to develop those games, as they have done with pretty much most of their franchises for a long time by now.

That those two games may be good or bad doesn't change the fact that they can't be considered Japanese games.

Sometimes Konami hires other Japanese studios, OTOMEDIUS is an example of that. But still, like I said, in-house Konami games aren't as promiment now.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dj-Dampleaf

Well, you mentioned games like CASTLEVANIA : LORDS OF SHADOW, and SILENT HILL : DOWNPOUR.

Konami hired external studios to develop those games, as they have done with pretty much most of their franchises for a long time by now.

That those two games may be good or bad doesn't change the fact that they can't be considered Japanese games.

Panzer_Zwei
MGS is the only series they still make on ground right? also the LoS 3ds sequel?
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OniStrat

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"] I can say the same thing with Activision, Interplay, Take 2, Acclaim, Midway, EA, Crystal Dynamics, Accolade, Lucas Arts, THQ, Looking Glass, Vicarious Visions, etc, for American Developers. It's not just japanese. Both sides have lost their path and the only way to get them back on is too stop buying their bad games instead of buying them hoping they will get better as the latter does not change their strategy and they will continue doing the same thing. People need to realize this but they keep doing the former and support their habits being stubborn. Also Capcom did not rejuvenate the fighting genre, i have no idea where the heck people get that from.Dj-Dampleaf

No, a lot of people are misinformed. U.S devs are dying the most, and the top western devs are few, and even if those few top companies partner, most of the time the partner ends up struggling making a profit, or they get their creativity killed to meet guidelines they must use. There are many Western devs making games with elements from ONE Western Dev, it's not as black and white as you think. The industry used to be even on both sides, and while you could say using labels like western that westerns are booming, only certain games, which is why i would take this gen to be the gen were the most devs copied very few games or took elements that are KNOWN to be from said games.

The indutry is not economically healthy for smaller developers, but if you'd look at how western games have performed score wise, and how positive the user satisfaction is, you'd paint a different picture.

Japanese developers used to lead the industry. They made the system sellers. These days it's the other way around.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dj-Dampleaf

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]I'm not sure I agree with you. I think the western developers are blooming right now, and have been for a while. Today the industry is western driven. Many Japanese developers try to mimic the style of the American and European games. The point of my first post, which apparently didn't come through well enough, is that Japanes games have lost their identity and driving force in many aspects.

OniStrat

The indutry is not economically healthy for smaller developers, but if you'd look at how western games have performed score wise, and how positive the user satisfaction is, you'd paint a different picture.

Japanese developers used to lead the industry. They made the system sellers. These days it's the other way around.

No, they lead in hardware, they were both on even fronts in software. There is no imaginary japanese domination. There are tons more lower rated U.S. developed games then japanese developed games and tons of less deaths, very few companies are making tons of money and bigger japanese companese are equal to average middle class U.S. ones now, so they are following say, games like COD to make more money just like tons of U.S. devs. You are not looking at the whole picture, you are looking at what the media is throwing at you without realizing that it's not a straight-froward conclusion.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OniStrat

Sometimes Konami hires other Japanese studios, OTOMEDIUS is an example of that. But still, like I said, in-house Konami games aren't as promiment now.

Panzer_Zwei

I'm well aware that these games are not developed in house by Konami. Why are these game outsourced? Is there only one prominent developer left at Konami? Konami (in Japan) hasn't really made anything worthwhile in a long time other than the MGS games.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Dj-Dampleaf

MGS is the only series they still make on ground right? also the LoS 3ds sequel?

Well, METAL GEAR 4 was made by Kojima Studios, which I think is indepentant or semi-indepentant from Konami.

The new METAL GEAR game is being developed by Platinium Games is it not?

That's how is it nowadays. Only a few bunch of developing studios can handle high budget productions.

It is not as bad on the portable side, from my understanding.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dj-Dampleaf

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

Well, METAL GEAR 4 was made by Kojima Studios, which I think is indepentant or semi-indepentant from Konami.

Platinum games and someone else. Probably the people who worked on Los, or was that also Plat? I know they are partnered with someone. i think Konami is making the LoS 3ds game though.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OniStrat

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"] No, a lot of people are misinformed. U.S devs are dying the most, and the top western devs are few, and even if those few top companies partner, most of the time the partner ends up struggling making a profit, or they get their creativity killed to meet guidelines they must use. There are many Western devs making games with elements from ONE Western Dev, it's not as black and white as you think. The industry used to be even on both sides, and while you could say using labels like western that westerns are booming, only certain games, which is why i would take this gen to be the gen were the most devs copied very few games or took elements that are KNOWN to be from said games.Dj-Dampleaf

No, they lead in hardware, they were both on even fronts in software. There is no imaginary japanese domination. There are tons more lower rated U.S. developed games then japanese developed games and tons of less deaths, very few companies are making tons of money and bigger japanese companese are equal to average middle class U.S. ones now, so they are following say, games like COD to make more money just like tons of U.S. devs. You are not looking at the whole picture, you are looking at what the media is throwing at you without realizing that it's not a straight-froward conclusion.

I'm not looking at how the media has skewed the angle. I'm drawing from own experience. I believe you when you say that both were even on software sales, it's just that when I was younger all I ever heard about anywhere was about Japanes developed games. The same games mentioned in the first post, plus some more. Friends, magazines and TV commercials all seemed to focus more on Japanese games.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dj-Dampleaf

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]The indutry is not economically healthy for smaller developers, but if you'd look at how western games have performed score wise, and how positive the user satisfaction is, you'd paint a different picture.

OniStrat

I'm not looking at how the media has skewed the angle. I'm drawing from own experience. I believe you when you say that both were even on software sales, it's just that when I was younger all I ever heard about anywhere was about Japanes developed games. The same games mentioned in the first post, plus some more. Friends, magazines and TV commercials all seemed to focus more on Japanese games.

They still do, they just end up loosing support quickly due to poor quality. Or no interest from gamers. Even then it still works on both sides this gen because if you only brought let's say, all of the most copied games, or the games that sold over 3ish million this gen, you would have a very poor collection of games. You would not even really actually have 1% of either console library, maybe 2% for the Wii. There are many games that get badly rated, ignored, or hidden/unsupported because o the same games that are "booming" as you say. I think both sides should stop and go back to going their own path so we can get unique games instead of having games will killstreaks, and Qte's all over every game that is in the front of shelves. It seems this will transfer over unchanged the next gen as seen from launch titles on Wii U.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OniStrat

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"] MGS is the only series they still make on ground right? also the LoS 3ds sequel?Dj-Dampleaf

Platinum games and someone else. Probably the people who worked on Los, or was that also Plat? I know they are partnered with someone. i think Konami is making the LoS 3ds game though.

Lords of Shadow was developed by MercurySteam and Kojima Productions. The 3DS game is developed solely by MercurySteam.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Panzer_Zwei

Of course. Japanese companies used to lead the game industry. All of the 80s, 90s, and still in the 2000, was dominated by the Japanese.

That's not the case any more, and I think most game programmers are well ware of it.

Even if they still sell a lot of games, they're not in the lead anymore.

The Japanese market is very self-centered, that's what helps them out.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dj-Dampleaf
*For example, just now a dev i just read about is switching their game development because they have found that the general consense is that cartoon graphics =kiddy and will change it over. This is a U.S. dev. Also lol, they lied to me about making the 3DS game, darn you Konami.
Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dj-Dampleaf

Of course. Japanese companies used to lead the game industry. All of the 80s, 90s, and still in the 2000, was dominated by the Japanese.

That's not the case any more, and I think most game programmers are well ware of it.

Even if they still sell a lot of games, they're not in the lead anymore.

The Japanese market is very self-centered, that's what helps them out.

Panzer_Zwei
Lead in hardware. Also, as above, cartoon graphics now all of a sudden = kiddy according to recent news. I wonder what will happen to Sly cooper.... Also looks like all these trends have not slowed and the copying and rehashing will dive right into next gen.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OniStrat

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"] No, they lead in hardware, they were both on even fronts in software. There is no imaginary japanese domination. There are tons more lower rated U.S. developed games then japanese developed games and tons of less deaths, very few companies are making tons of money and bigger japanese companese are equal to average middle class U.S. ones now, so they are following say, games like COD to make more money just like tons of U.S. devs. You are not looking at the whole picture, you are looking at what the media is throwing at you without realizing that it's not a straight-froward conclusion.Dj-Dampleaf

They still do, they just end up loosing support quickly due to poor quality. Or no interest from gamers. Even then it still works on both sides this gen because if you only brought let's say, all of the most copied games, or the games that sold over 3ish million this gen, you would have a very poor collection of games. You would not even really actually have 1% of either console library, maybe 2% for the Wii. There are many games that get badly rated, ignored, or hidden/unsupported because o the same games that are "booming" as you say. I think both sides should stop and go back to going their own path so we can get unique games instead of having games will killstreaks, and Qte's all over every game that is in the front of shelves. It seems this will transfer over unchanged the next gen as seen from launch titles on Wii U.

I don't think this is possible. The reason Japanese developers have changed their original style is to appeal to the "mainstream" western gamer. The western games industry has grown in a faster pace than the Japanese industry. To make up for development costs this generation, the Japanese developers have tried to, as I said before, mimic the most popular western games. The Japanese games industry has lost its identity, as far as console games go.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dj-Dampleaf

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]I'm not looking at how the media has skewed the angle. I'm drawing from own experience. I believe you when you say that both were even on software sales, it's just that when I was younger all I ever heard about anywhere was about Japanes developed games. The same games mentioned in the first post, plus some more. Friends, magazines and TV commercials all seemed to focus more on Japanese games.

OniStrat

I don't think this is possible. The reason Japanese developers have changed their original style is to appeal to the "mainstream" western gamer. The western games industry has grown in a faster pace than the Japanese industry. To make up for development costs this generation, the Japanese developers have tried to, as I said before, mimic the most popular western games. The Japanese games industry has lost its identity, as far as console games go.

Actually not just consoles. Yes i agree, they are trying to appeal to a mainstream audience, but they are doing it because they need to make money and think foolishly even though they have clearly failed before, that following the leader is going to bring in that money as the biggest japanese companies have for nearly 2 decades, with more and more over the years, are becoming second class in terms of profits. The issues is that people IN the U.S. and other western countries know this is true but still do the same thing. It's like both are actually scared to do something on their own rather then it being their only choice. As odd as that may sound it seems to be one of the few explanations other than insanity because by NOW both sides know that this is stupid to keep doing because it could kill the market, which is several billions of dollars. Advertisers are another issue, advertisers now would not take a risk even if it WOULD NOT actually hurt them and only throw most support and partner with the big boys. Which are few unlike before. Making a lot of companies to waste resources just trying to put their game outthere or make it stand out clone or not.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]I'm not looking at how the media has skewed the angle. I'm drawing from own experience. I believe you when you say that both were even on software sales, it's just that when I was younger all I ever heard about anywhere was about Japanes developed games. The same games mentioned in the first post, plus some more. Friends, magazines and TV commercials all seemed to focus more on Japanese games.

OniStrat

That's not entirely true.

The games that appeal to westerners are only those which actually made it overseas, and thus the ones most people in the west get a hold on.

However, there's a whole bunch of PS3 and portable games which aren't released overseas, and they are very Japanese centric.

A lot of Japanese gamers don't like western games. Thus it would make little sense to follow their trends.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#22 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

you know what really gets me is everytime some one talks about konami only one title becomes the topic , what ever happened to zombies ate my neighbors and interplay the only good game from them were 2 snes racing games 1 rockn roll racing and the other is its spiritual sequal known as radical psycho machine racing

as for capcom aside from wii remakes of re0 re1 dead rising , and 3dses revelations they have been dead to me ,

wonder what happened to kemco!

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Panzer_Zwei

ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBORS was made by LucasArts. Konami only published it.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

OniStrat

capcom has recently released dragons dogma, which is one of the best games I'veplayed in the past 5 or so years and it truly redefines teh genre. especially the whole pawn system and how teh action is implemented in the game. after it I could no longer play skyrim.

I also think square enix are doign quite well. other then that you are rigjt. the japanese can't keep up in current gen anymore. konami is the worst. the only thing they have left is kojima, but he can't make 3 games at a time.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

That's how is it nowadays. Only a few bunch of developing studios can handle high budget productions.

It is not as bad on the portable side, from my understanding.

the new metal gear solid ground zeroes game is doen by kojima though and so is metal gear solid 5. ground zeroes trailers looks amazing!