Koji Ikarashi (Castlevania) has left Konami

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

He's setting up his own indie studio and will make the types of games he used to make. It would be cool if he had some original ideas, but its not like the world is overflowing with quality Metroidvania games (though there are a few out there).

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/213274/Castlevania_maestro_Koji_Igarashi_strikes_out_on_his_own.php

Today, Koji "IGA" Igarashi has announced that he is forming his own independent development studio and is hinting that he will make a game in the vein of his most popular works.

In a statement released to the press, he has revealed that his last day with longtime employer Konami was March 15. He is in the process of creating a "small" studio.

#2 Posted by groowagon (2741 posts) -

ABOUT GODDAMN TIME!

there's nothing that has come close to SotN after it was made. some random Shadow Complex has appeared, but we need more! we need BIGGER!

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (15282 posts) -

I bet dollars to donuts that we'll see a Kickstarter campaign for a MetroidVania type game thats as similar to his Castlevania games as Inafuna's Mighty No. 9 is to Mega Man, not that that's a bad thing though.

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10025 posts) -

I still don't know what to make of Kickstarter. It seems like a bad thing when no publisher wants to fund the game but its good when they exceed the required amound.

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (15282 posts) -

It is sad to see him leave Konami. While I'm sure he'll make some good MetroidVania type games I'll really miss the lore and characters that the Castlevania franchise brought to the table. It's also really sad to see Konami as a whole just sink further as a developer to whom I only look to as a Metal Gear Solid developer now.

#6 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6006 posts) -

FUCK!!

I guess that seals it- no return to the original timeline. Fuck.

#7 Edited by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

Good for him, I actually have a lot of respect for the people that leave comfy positions in this difficult market so, they can create the kind of games they want to make not what the company does.

Thats passion.

I'll definitely keep his indie studio on my radar.

#8 Edited by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Sure the games he'll make will be great but I can't help but wonder where Castlevania will go from here.

#9 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

I bet dollars to donuts that we'll see a Kickstarter campaign for a MetroidVania type game thats as similar to his Castlevania games as Inafuna's Mighty No. 9 is to Mega Man, not that that's a bad thing though.

No doubt. It nutty that those guys had to flee their companies in order to make the sorts of games that fans wanted.

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (15282 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

No doubt. It nutty that those guys had to flee their companies in order to make the sorts of games that fans wanted.

Yeah for sure and it's not like they'd have to spend a lot of money either, look at the kickstarter for Mighty No. 9 it was only like 2 to 3 million and the fans were interested enough in it to reach that goal effortlessly.

#11 Posted by Randolph (10435 posts) -

So… both Castlevania and MegaMan are essentially dead now. I'm just really sad all of a sudden. That's two members of my childhood "holy trinity" of gaming. (Mario, Castlevania, MegaMan)

#12 Posted by geniobastardo (1295 posts) -

Sure the games he'll make will be great but I can't help but wonder where Castlevania will go from here.

Yea, they even have to make a DLC for CLoS 2.

#13 Posted by Metamania (11970 posts) -

@Randolph said:

So… both Castlevania and MegaMan are essentially dead now. I'm just really sad all of a sudden. That's two members of my childhood "holy trinity" of gaming. (Mario, Castlevania, MegaMan)

Basically, yeah. Konami and Capcom unfortunately don't have that much faith in either series, no mater how much they try to deny that.

#14 Posted by MirkoS77 (7035 posts) -

@CarnageHeart: and I hope these Kickstarters flourish. I'm certain publishers have sat up and taken notice of Star Citizen's success. What's it at....35+ MILLION?? That's simply insane. I hope that many of these Kickstartered campaigns that harken back to genres believed untenable investments by today's AAA publishers prove to be massive successes (when they reach into the millions, they pretty much are viewed as such anyway, even before the game release). It doesn't matter that they ultimately suck, what matters is that the demand is on display.

I'll be the first backer to IGA's Metroidvania KS. I still believe there a tremendous demand for 2D games out there and it's a shame they're constantly disregarded because solely that tech can do more. Thank God for Kickstarter. That and Steam helping the revival of PC gaming have been great gifts to gaming.

#15 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6006 posts) -

God damn Kickstarter campaigns always start with PC and are lucky if they go elsewhere.

I want my god damn Castlevania on my god damned 3ds! And you know Konami's going to bitch if it's a game set in a castle starring a whip-wielding vampire hunter.

Sure, M#9 is more legit than anything Capcom's put out in a decade at least, but original creator or not, it ain't MegaMan. Likewise, as awesome and totally worth playing as a new IGA adventure RPG will be, it won't be able to bank on the Castlevania history or answer any of the lingering questions that were left flapping limply in the wind with the coming of Lords of Shadow.

#16 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

So basically no more 2D Castlevania games like the ones on DS and whatnot. This is a sad day.

#17 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Good for him, I actually have a lot of respect for the people that leave comfy positions in this difficult market so, they can create the kind of games they want to make not what the company does.

Thats passion.

I'll definitely keep his indie studio on my radar.

Nah there is more money is all. No passion to it at all. The whole idea is romanticized by people who don't actually do it.

Why wouldn't someone leave a company when they can get on kickstarter and have people throw millions of dollars at them to make a game that indie guys can make for a couple thousand dollars?