Kinect for pc = 200 $

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Link

Microsoft has opened pre-orders on its own online store for the Windows-compatible version of Xbox One’s 2.0 Kinect. What might surprise those unfamiliar with windows-based Kinect applications is the unit’s price, which is $199.

It gets less surprising if you look at the price of the Windows version of the old Xbox 360 Kinect, which is priced $149 for students and a whopping $249 for everyone else. Apparently a discounted price for students isn’t available for the 2.0 version, at least for now. The unit will ship on July 15th.

The rather pricey gadget doesn’t even ship with any software, and is designed to work with theKinect for Windows Software Development Kit 2.0, which has to be licensed separately and will be available this month as a public beta. That kind of clause indicates quite clearly that this is an offer aimed more to developers than to actual gamers.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Why?

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Whoa hold on a sec there ,the way I hear, every X1 is bundled with Kinect ; Could this mean that X1 would be 200 bucks cheaper without this useless device being bundled?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@elkoldo said:

Whoa hold on a sec there ,the way I hear, every X1 is bundled with Kinect ; Could this mean that X1 would be 200 bucks cheaper without this useless device being bundled?

No, because that includes what is basically a "licensing fee" for developing for the device on a PC. The did the same thing with the original Kinect. They intentionally disallow you from using the console counterpart Kinect so that you have to buy the "PC" version.

-Byshop

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@elkoldo said:

Nope, the Kinect costs around 80 bucks to make, this is basicly a more expensive version for developers. But really makes me wonder, why the **** it costs that much

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

That's quite the ripoff that microshaft is serving up for folks, typical.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

As of late Microsoft has been hiring monkeys to make all of there decision because I refuse to believe that a human with basic intelligence would make such a brain damaged decision to release this shit for $100 more than their earlier version that is practically useless because its shipped without software. What the **edit** is wrong with the decision makers at Microsoft?