Keio 2: Flying Squadron

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

So howcome I've never seen a thread on this game? I don't own it yet, but honestly, the game looks really good.

for those that don't know it's a 2D platformer for the Saturn with some 2D shmup levels included

the game was never launched in the US and both the Pal and Japanese releases are sold for a pretty penny

link for gameplay

so, has anyone played this game? thoughts? good, bad?

#2 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15452 posts) -

I have the game. It's a decent and charming 2D side-scrolling game in line with those of the previous generation. A lot less simple than say, ASTAL, but not as exciting or innovative like SHIN SHINOBI or SILHOUTTE MIRAGE.

The shooting segments are about the same as the previous game - average-ish at best.

I don't think it's worth paying a high price tag for it for sure.

#3 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
ah, that's a shame
#4 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15452 posts) -

It's a good game, just not awesome, nor a must-play experience.

#5 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

Panzer_Zwei
is it worth 20 euro IYO? found someone selling it at that price
#6 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15452 posts) -

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

rilpas

That sounds like a good price. Cheaper than it's original price tag. If you liked what you saw in the videos, then go for it.

#7 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Panzer_Zwei

That sounds like a good price. Cheaper than it's original price tag. If you liked what you saw in the videos, then go for it.

thanks man.

heh, I've been thinking about creating a thread showing off my saturn collection, its growing at a healthy pace, right now I think I'm only missing 5 major exclusives (only counting western released games): Shining force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, Three Dirty Dwarves and Burning Rangers :P

#8 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15452 posts) -

DRAGON FORCE was disappointing. The game started pretty awesome, but in the end the braindead enemy A.I. ruined the game for me.

The sequel was a lot better.

I also don't know if SHINING FORCE 3 is worth it without the other 2 games. You're meant to play all three for the whole experience. It's not just a different perspective thing, it's a continous story.

#9 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

DRAGON FORCE was disappointing. The game started pretty awesome, but in the end the braindead enemy A.I. ruined the game for me.

I also don't know if SHINING FORCE 3 is worth it without the other 2 games. You're meant to play all three for the whole experience. It's not just a different perspective thing, it's a continous story.

Panzer_Zwei

alas, I don't speak Japanese and using translation guides just isn't really my thing

Suppose I could always wait and hope the game gets the Monster World IV treatment

#10 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

So howcome I've never seen a thread on this game? I don't own it yet, but honestly, the game looks really good.

for those that don't know it's a 2D platformer for the Saturn with some 2D shmup levels included

the game was never launched in the US and both the Pal and Japanese releases are sold for a pretty penny

link for gameplay

so, has anyone played this game? thoughts? good, bad?

rilpas

it's a decent shooter. 8/10, nothing exceptional. just incredibly rare and fun graphics and also hard even for a shooter. glad I got mine recently for only 30 euros(pal)

#11 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

rilpas

the game is worth like 100-150 euros, so yeah get it!

#12 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

rilpas

alas, I don't speak Japanese and using translation guides just isn't really my thing

Suppose I could always wait and hope the game gets the Monster World IV treatment

the other shining force 3 scenarios have been translated though. I've played them all in english on my saturn and it's in my top ten best games I've ever played.

#13 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

bultje112

the other shining force 3 scenarios have been translated though. I've played them all in english on my saturn and it's in my top ten best games I've ever played.

they were translated? how? when?

#14 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

years ago. just check shining force central. they made a file that you could patch to the cd image of the game and you can play it in english. simple as that. scenarios 2 and especially 3 are even better than 1. but playing 1 by itself is already great

#15 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

years ago. just check shining force central. they made a file that you could patch to the cd image of the game and you can play it in english. simple as that. scenarios 2 and especially 3 are even better than 1. but playing 1 by itself is already great

nice, thanks for that

#16 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

I don't want to get into any **** for this, but let's say if you search well enough in google, you might find the iso with the patch already applied, I succeeded in it few years back, saves the "trouble" from ripping the iso from your original game file. I don't know how good you are with computers of course. shining force 3 is awesome in that apart from great gameplay, it is also the srpg with the best storyline I've ever seen. in fact it goes back to shining the holy ark and the young boy you find in the main city, who's father is killed by the vandal galm. that boy is julian...

#17 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15452 posts) -

^ The SS doesn't run copy games. He'd also need to mod the system to play it that way.

Sounds like a pain in the ass for those without an already modded system and an image burning program that you already know it works for SS games.

#18 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

all you need to do is the swap trick. which is as easy as counting to 3. just check on youtube how it works.

#19 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8221 posts) -
They're too expensive for me. I may try them by other means sometime if I don't find a deal on them, not paying those ebay prices.