Just got a new TV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

It's a Samsung 40 inch 6030 series. I can link the bestbuy thing if you want. The picture is great. It has everything I would need and more. 3d support. 120hz led. I'm just finding myself turning off the auto smooth feature and turning on game mode more times than not with the ps4. so is 120 hz uselss. also some games might have 3d support but not sure I see myself using it. i'm assuming you need glasses.

This tv was $499. They had the same brand tv Samsung 1080p 60 hz for $369.99 which is really cheap. I'm coming from a Panasonic 32 inch 720p/1080i tv which was basically fine but this is nicer although I don't n eed a huge tv. 40 inch is really nice but kind of big as it is. but playing games it definitely feels more organic vs looking at it on a screen. depth wise it just looks better and is sharper too.

is this extra crap worth it? I was like might as well get everything since I want this to last for 10 years and through this entire generation.

anyone? i'm not exactly rolling in money here. But wanted the full experience of the ps4 vs playing on a smaller tv. this tv is super nice i'm just not sure I need all the added features.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Nice thanks for the input. I will be buying a tv shortly and I'm currently researching models. IMO i think the 'smart' stuff is garbage, all I really need is a sharp picture and good lighting. I doubt I'd ever use that 3d nonsense but they all seem to have it nowadays....just like all tvs seem to be 'smart'.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

The xtra crap is just xtra crap you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I felt this way when i got my 60 inch panasonic plasma tv. It came with 3d, and i've had the tv for almost 3 years and never once used 3d, and probably never will. Completely useless feature i wish it didn't have and i likely paid for when i got it. a tv worth over 2000 bucks and doesn't even come with 1 set of glasses to view 3d with, so im assuming 3d must be awful so why even bother with it.

Every review i've ever seen about 3d movies have been negative, talking about it giving people headaches or having washed out colors.

Other crap they put in with new tvs is they call them "Smart TV's" or whatever the hell that means. Basically has junk software that supposed to be able to play internet stuff on i guess. It barely works on mine, and with other brands of tvs i always hear about people having different problems using it. Extra marketing words to make one tv sound better then another.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

Not only are they usually not worth it (along with extended warranty) I remember when we got a Mitsubishi DLP way back and when i got to the thread for it on Avsforum they said you would need to DISABLE all those extra features as they artificially enhanced the picture.

You set aside the extra money for a professional calibration which is a few hundred bucks.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

Other crap they put in with new tvs is they call them "Smart TV's" or whatever the hell that means. Basically has junk software that supposed to be able to play internet stuff on i guess. It barely works on mine, and with other brands of tvs i always hear about people having different problems using it. Extra marketing words to make one tv sound better then another.

The Smart TV's have built in apps like Netflix, web browser, Amazon Prime, etc. I think they're marketed towards people that don't have a gaming console or blu-ray player with these apps already installed. Plus, if you're using the Smart TV apps, it's best to use a wired connection over wi-fi.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Celtic_34

I think i'm going to swap it for the other TV. The one thing i'm unsure on is 120 hz. I'm assuming it makes no difference. I've read it really doesn't. $140 to have 3d and 120 hz vs 60 hz and no 3d. The tv's otherwise are basically the same. This is a 40 inch which im feeling like is almost too big anyways. The other is 39. i was playing on a 32 inch tv last gen and it was a bit small. 39 seems like it would be perfect.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasean79

@Celtic_34 said:

This is a 40 inch which im feeling like is almost too big anyways. The other is 39... 39 seems like it would be perfect.

Wait, what?! You're trading in your 40" for an inch smaller because 40" is too big?!

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Get a 1080p, and you should definitely calibrate it.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Celtic_34

@jasean79 said:

@Celtic_34 said:

This is a 40 inch which im feeling like is almost too big anyways. The other is 39... 39 seems like it would be perfect.

Wait, what?! You're trading in your 40" for an inch smaller because 40" is too big?!

I swapped it mainly because i got $150 back for features i don't need. I have the other tv now. I got $150 ba ck with taxes and all. This tv is the same thing. It's a samsung 5000 series. It's 1080p 60 hz vs 1080p 120 hz with 3d. The other tv also had a network jack. I just dont see myself using any of that. This tv is the same thing except you just plug it in and go. Nothing fancy about it. I wish i could compare 120 hz vs 60 hz head to head on the ps4 though. Having those smoothing features was at least nice to have. I turned them off though.

I'm pretty bare bones anyways. Not trying to impress anyone with my TV. I just am a nitpicker for performance and framerates. I'm playing the show 14 right now on ps4 and there is some flicker and flutter but i'm guessing it's just the game. Would be nice to mess with the refresh rates though. I can just keep swapping it lol and driving the salesperson nuts who sold it to me. I wish i could compare head to head. I honestly don't think 120 hz makes a damn bit of difference though.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasean79

@Celtic_34:

Sounds a lot like the TV I just helped my in-laws buy. I went with a 50" Samsung 5000 series. They're very old school, so I picked the model without the Smart TV apps. They seem to like it very much, considering they were upgrading from a Mitsubishi projector TV.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Comparing my almost 8-year-old Sony 1080p LCD TV which is 60hz (which I have set to 'game mode') to a CRT, the 'speed' is very similar with movies, tv and games. When I go to Wal-Mart and see movies on 120hz-capable screens, many 'fast action' scenes look like they're being fast-forwarded. Movies and games don't need 120hz unless you're doing 3D (60 for each side of glasses).