Journey is IGN's Game of the Year. Now Gamespot GOTY too! What in the world.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

Lets face it from a reviewer point of view games like Journey are gold. Fun and short would be exactly what I would want if I were being paid to play and review games.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
I'm surprised at People's Choice award and seeing ME3 probably winning it all despite the backlash, guess the minority are quite a VOCAL group.D3s7rUc71oN
I was wondering the same thing. What, people finally warmed up to the game?
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#156 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="lozengez"]

Vader is going to explode.

SciFiCat

He and Grammaticon-Cleric are going to recreate the final Nazi's scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

:lol:

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]Mass Effect 3 didnt really have a bad ending, it was decent, the contreversy started because somebody at Bioware miss calculated their hype to product ratio during prerelease.wiouds

It was bad end with or without the hype.

Yup. You dont have the player spend the entire game collecting allies and war assets and then completely ignore that in the final mission. It's like what's the point. not to mention the fact that the ending didnt even have proper cutscenes or made any kind of sense whatsoever.

I still like the game, and i suppose it's still my GOTY (havent played AC3, Far Cry 3 or Dishonored) but the whole end game was the most disappointed i've been ever.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I'm so glad that GameSpot is standing up to violence in games, and have stopped rewarding them. Kudos to them for breathing fresh air into gaming journalism by denying more samey lamey ole FPSs that have saturated the entire generation. Thank you GameSpot.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#159 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

What happened to your other super angry post. :P

dvader654

Eh, a post that was overly rude and not needed, made in the passion of the moment due to my frustration of you not seeming to me to give Journey its due credit as I've seen from you in various threads. Thought better to delete it hoping you hadn't seen it, too late. :( Didn't mean to come off as personal even though it seemed that way. But in all fairness what you did say was fairly condescending which is where the anger came from.

Anyway, you have some valid points. It's just that I'm frustrated that I'm unable to eloquently express my feelings towards Journey through, as said, the traditional means that has defined gaming so far. I really can't defend it through conventional means and definitions gaming has such used, which strangely is part of why I find Journey to be such an accomplishment. Thing is, I find gaming to fit a broad definition under the umbrella of interactive entertainment as a whole, which is why I don't see how the game necessarily plays or the options it affords the player should be the #1 determining factor in its quality or merit. If you are going to judge a game on that aspect alone, where does the line begin, and where is it drawn? What is the standard?

It's the same way I view puzzle games. Do they not suffer from all the same issues (if not more so) than Journey does? Therefor, are they not games, or lesser games as the interface is so rudimentary? Puzzle games can in fact be some of the most in-depth experiences out there. I find your issue (and others who take your position) to be that you're critiquing games through the lens of the tools given to you to play them and while I can understand such a viewpoint I also find it to be a linear, one-way, and closed-minded one. I've always found gaming to be about the end product, the interface and gameplay to be able to enjoy them is a means to an end, not the end themselves and should not be judged entirely by and through them, as much importance can be placed on them.

I don't know how to better express my thoughts on this matter as so many of you can quite well, but I hope you can at least try to see what I'm saying. Perhaps Journey does not fit into the category for what we have known games to be in the past, but I don't think that should automatically preclude it from acclaim and due accolades, even the most prestigious ones this industry has to offer.

Dont worry man, I know how things get in here at time, myself as well. I am going to respond to the puzzle game comparison. Certain puzzle games offer incredible depth, they are games that I could put hours and hours into mastering. A puzzle game has that element of competition that Journey is totally lacking as well. Can a puzzle game be GOTY to me, well something like Tetris or Angry Birds is too simplistic for me but a game like Portal absolutely as it combines all elements into one incredible package. From my point of view most puzzle games offer me something I can really sink my gaming and thinking skills into, while Journey does not. I see what you are saying but to me almost all my enjoyment from games come from the gameplay part. Very rarely is there a game that shows up that I enjoy the aspects around the game so much that I enjoy it even though I find the gameplay to be poor. That is why I play games, so its hard for me to separate the two, its even hard for me to understand why anyone would love video games if not for the love of the gameplay.

the thing is that journey does have great gameplay. it's just generally not fun and that's not a slight against it. braid and (at times) dark souls aren't fun either, but the parts that aren't fun serve a purpose to make the games better.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 fend_oblivion
Explain to me the great gameplay. I played a bit recently and all I did was walk forward on sand, easily avoid a flying thing with a spotlight. Then slowly climb a tower by going to the clearly marked area where you press the only button that does anything other than jump. Then you just magically float up stopping at the same shirne like things with zero challenge, zero skill involved, zero level design involved. So explain how that is great.dvader654
You know, if you look it that way, then games like The Walking Dead are devoid of gameplay. That game is made entirely of QTEs. Sure you can die in it but come on, all you do is point and click, mash a button and then other. But people love TWD (including me). Why? Because there are other aspects that they enjoyed more than the gameplay. Same reason why people like Spec Ops : The Line. The gameplay is like any other TPS but people will be remembering it for the experience. Do give this article a read. It'll give you an idea as to what the devs were trying to achieve in Journey.
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

I'm so glad that GameSpot is standing up to violence in games, and have stopped rewarding them. Kudos to them for breathing fresh air into gaming journalism by denying more samey lamey ole FPSs that have saturated the entire generation. Thank you GameSpot.

dvader654

What does violence have to do if a game is GOTY worthy or not. And what FPSs are winning on this site?

Did you bother reading as to why GS gave Journey GOTY? As far as FPS go, GameSpot generally rates them highly.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 fend_oblivion
[QUOTE="dvader654"] I am aware of that, but Journey does have platforming elements, there is no reason why they cant be good. I have not played Walking Dead yet but I assume its an adventure game so it should have some puzzles. Plus I know in that game your choices effect the outcome, that is a level of interactivity that not even Journey has.

The Walking Dead is one of those rare adventure games that ditches the puzzles altogether. And as for the choices you can make, after playing all 5 episodes, I can tell you that nothing changes. It's just an illusion of a freedom that isn't there. Regardless of your choices, the end outcome is the same. Just like Mass Effect, the choices you make are pointless. The Walking Dead, however, does a much, much better job at story telling and character development than the Mass Effect series. As for interactivity, Journey does a whole lot better than either of those two games. The multiplayer aspect of it is incredible because it makes you realize the importance of another character. Like said in the article, you have people coming over to the forums and thanking those anonymous players for helping them out. Isn't that too a level of interactivity? Journey is not much of a great platformer, I agree. It isn't on the same level as that of other platformers, but still, most people love it. If you look at TPS/RPGs, I can say the same for Mass Effect too. It's a piss poor, dumbed down TPS that plays poorly and has a mediocre story filled with lore inconsistencies and plot holes. Yet, most people love it. Different strokes for different blokes.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#166 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Jesus. Journey is pretentious art trash, and this generation needs to die. How this won over the slew of great games this year is baffling. I can't believe any of you would be happy paying $15 for a two hour non game. Mario Party and Barbie games have more gameplay.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Jesus. Journey is pretentious art trash, and this generation needs to die. How this won over the slew of great games this year is baffling. I can't believe any of you would be happy paying $15 for a two hour non game. Mario Party and Barbie games have more gameplay.GodModeEnabled

*Shrugs* I can't believe anyone paid $60 for the POS that was ME3 and felt they got their money's worth, let alone confused it with quality (its an rpg that plays like a mediocre tps!). Obviously, tastes differ.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Jesus. Journey is pretentious art trash, and this generation needs to die. How this won over the slew of great games this year is baffling. I can't believe any of you would be happy paying $15 for a two hour non game. Mario Party and Barbie games have more gameplay.CarnageHeart

*Shrugs* I can't believe anyone paid $60 for the POS that was ME3 and felt they got their money's worth, let alone confused it with quality (its an rpg that plays like a mediocre tps!). Obviously, tastes differ.

Also, as good as Dishonored is, even replaying the game it's short and questionable @ $60. And then there are people who only play Halo games for the single player campaign, so I'm sure they also feel bad having to pay $60 for ten hours worth of gameplay.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Jesus. Journey is pretentious art trash, and this generation needs to die. How this won over the slew of great games this year is baffling. I can't believe any of you would be happy paying $15 for a two hour non game. Mario Party and Barbie games have more gameplay.Zen_Light

Also, as good as Dishonored is, even replaying the game it's short and questionable @ $60. And then there are people who only play Halo games for the single player campaign, so I'm sure they also feel bad having to pay $60 for ten hours worth of gameplay.

I got halo 4 for the campaign and I do not feel bad.

I played The Journey at a friend's and I felt overpaid for it. IT show that graphic and sound is all you need to make GoTY.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#171 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
If video games are to become the dominate media format then it has to move from being just plain games and become a interactive entertainment median for all froms of expression.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#172 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Jesus. Journey is pretentious art trash, and this generation needs to die. How this won over the slew of great games this year is baffling. I can't believe any of you would be happy paying $15 for a two hour non game. Mario Party and Barbie games have more gameplay.CarnageHeart

Considering I put in around 250+ hours in ME3 in both the single and multiplayer I have to say that I more then got my money's worth. I love RPGs and I love cover shooters, win win.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 GodModeEnabled

Besides a stupid ending ME3 had great gameplay and multiplayer. There is a lot of fun to be had in the tactical combat in the game, especially on higher difficulties. Tastes differ, I agree but Journey winning GOTY is as ridiculous as Flower winning it. They re practically the same kind of thing. It isn't really a "game" per se. Here's an honest question for you too Carnage, would you give a sh1t about this game if it wasn't a Playstation exclusive?
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Jesus. Journey is pretentious art trash, and this generation needs to die. How this won over the slew of great games this year is baffling. I can't believe any of you would be happy paying $15 for a two hour non game. Mario Party and Barbie games have more gameplay.GodModeEnabled

Besides a stupid ending ME3 had great gameplay and multiplayer. There is a lot of fun to be had in the tactical combat in the game, especially on higher difficulties. Tastes differ, I agree but Journey winning GOTY is as ridiculous as Flower winning it. They re practically the same kind of thing. It isn't really a "game" per se. Here's an honest question for you too Carnage, would you give a sh1t about this game if it wasn't a Playstation exclusive?

Aside from the endings and the bugs (which weren't as nasty as Skyrim's but that is a very, very, very low bar) ME3 continued Bioware's trend (which started with Jade Empire) of incompetently aping popular action genres. The move has paid off well for them (clearly a lot of people would rather play a mediocre action game then a good turn based game) so I don't blame Bioware, but that doesn't mean that move hasn't turned combat into something much shallower than what one finds in the best turn based rpgs or modern shooters.

Since Christmas just passed, I'll give your last insult an honest, non-insulting answer. Exclusivity has nothing to do with quality (or lack thereof). I created no less than three threads about X-com Enemy Unknown and have defended it against its few (badly misguided) detractors because like Journey, it is an awesome game.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 S0lidSnake

Aside from the endings and the bugs (which weren't as nasty as Skyrim's but that is a very, very, very low bar) ME3 continued Bioware's trend (which started with Jade Empire) of incompetently aping popular action genres. The move has paid off well for them (clearly a lot of people would rather play a mediocre action game then a good turn based game) so I don't blame Bioware, but that doesn't mean that move hasn't turned combat into something much shallower than what one finds in the best turn based rpgs or modern shooters.

CarnageHeart

What bugs did you experience btw? I put in close to 30 hours in the single player and maybe another 50 in the MP and I dont recall any major bugs. Or minor ones. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I still remember the terrible framerate in Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, the constant out of sync audio in Killzone 3 and the awful aiming system of Uncharted 3. With mass effect 3, my experience was smooth as butter... both online and offline.

And you keep calling Mass Effect a medicore shooter and I just dont get that. How many shooters allow you to have biotic powers along with your more traditional weapons? How many shooters allow you to control your entire squad and their powers? There is nothing mediocre about the shooting itself which is perfectly adequate as evidenced by how well the game plays online. Getting headshots is just as easy as it in the best third person shooters like Gears, Uncharted and Max Payne 3. The enemy variety is unmatched and the level design is a lot more vertical than Gears or Max Payne 3.

The only thing it doesn't do well is cover mechanics, but even Gears and Uncharted have trouble with cover. Uncharted only gets away with it because of how agile Drake is, but going from cover to cover is a pain in the ass in every game.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#177 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Jesus. Journey is pretentious art trash, and this generation needs to die. How this won over the slew of great games this year is baffling. I can't believe any of you would be happy paying $15 for a two hour non game. Mario Party and Barbie games have more gameplay.

Wait, don't you like Planescape Torment and The walking dead? One is essentially a visual novel and the other is an interactive movie. Mario party has more gameplay than both of those games.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#178 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="dvader654"] Dont worry man, I know how things get in here at time, myself as well. I am going to respond to the puzzle game comparison. Certain puzzle games offer incredible depth, they are games that I could put hours and hours into mastering. A puzzle game has that element of competition that Journey is totally lacking as well. Can a puzzle game be GOTY to me, well something like Tetris or Angry Birds is too simplistic for me but a game like Portal absolutely as it combines all elements into one incredible package. From my point of view most puzzle games offer me something I can really sink my gaming and thinking skills into, while Journey does not. I see what you are saying but to me almost all my enjoyment from games come from the gameplay part. Very rarely is there a game that shows up that I enjoy the aspects around the game so much that I enjoy it even though I find the gameplay to be poor. That is why I play games, so its hard for me to separate the two, its even hard for me to understand why anyone would love video games if not for the love of the gameplay. dvader654

the thing is that journey does have great gameplay. it's just generally not fun and that's not a slight against it. braid and (at times) dark souls aren't fun either, but the parts that aren't fun serve a purpose to make the games better.

Explain to me the great gameplay. I played a bit recently and all I did was walk forward on sand, easily avoid a flying thing with a spotlight. Then slowly climb a tower by going to the clearly marked area where you press the only button that does anything other than jump. Then you just magically float up stopping at the same shirne like things with zero challenge, zero skill involved, zero level design involved. So explain how that is great.

And yes Demon's Souls is a lot of fun. :)

the thing it really hangs it's hat on is the interaction between players (or the potential lack thereof). yes, thatgamecompany might have made some more elaborate platforming obstacles, but more elaborate obstacles would have hurt that interaction between the players because they would have. i mean, i go to work and everybody has their own task that needs doing. i don't get to know them much as individuals in the normal course of the business day. however, i can go to a party and there is no set activity. all i'm really doing is talking to people and getting to know them. people shine more as individuals because they don't have other activities. journey is more akin to the party than the workplace in that the goals are more general so people can be more like individuals. some players will dance and flutter around (attention whores, i swear), pairs make their own languages with chimes, and whatever other ways they want to express themselves that aren't so direct that cultural barriers would get in the way.

as for my point about demon's souls (and at risk of getting off track), it's one of my favorite games. however, getting my ass soundly kicked by the flamelurker in a few seconds and needing to work all the way back to him with even less health, restoratives, or mercy from the game isn't fun. would i want from software to patch the game and change all that? no, the game would be a lot worse.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#183 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 wiouds

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"][QUOTE="dvader654"] I am aware of that, but Journey does have platforming elements, there is no reason why they cant be good. I have not played Walking Dead yet but I assume its an adventure game so it should have some puzzles. Plus I know in that game your choices effect the outcome, that is a level of interactivity that not even Journey has. dvader654

The Walking Dead is one of those rare adventure games that ditches the puzzles altogether. And as for the choices you can make, after playing all 5 episodes, I can tell you that nothing changes. It's just an illusion of a freedom that isn't there. Regardless of your choices, the end outcome is the same. Just like Mass Effect, the choices you make are pointless. The Walking Dead, however, does a much, much better job at story telling and character development than the Mass Effect series. As for interactivity, Journey does a whole lot better than either of those two games. The multiplayer aspect of it is incredible because it makes you realize the importance of another character. Like said in the article, you have people coming over to the forums and thanking those anonymous players for helping them out. Isn't that too a level of interactivity? Journey is not much of a great platformer, I agree. It isn't on the same level as that of other platformers, but still, most people love it. If you look at TPS/RPGs, I can say the same for Mass Effect too. It's a piss poor, dumbed down TPS that plays poorly and has a mediocre story filled with lore inconsistencies and plot holes. Yet, most people love it. Different strokes for different blokes.

In that case Walking Dead would be a disappointment, again I have not played it yet.

But I really cant let the Mass Effect comment go by. The choices in Mass Effect CHANGE EVERYTHING. I dont get this obsession with the ending, you played a total of 100+ hours across the three games and all people seem to remember are the last 20 minutes, its crazy. The choices you make in the ME series can completely change the roster of the people in your team in the final game. Entire storylines change. I talked to other ME players and they almost experienced a totally different story than me. I would say in the history of video games no series has ever handled choices as well as Mass Effect has, to do so across 3 games, in this scale is unheard of. So it failed to do so in the final 20 minutes, whatever, what you spent hundreds of hours playing is what matters.

Since Mass Effect 1 I told everyone that your choices would not matter that much so I was not affected by the lack of effect of the choices. With that in mind, I found the ending to be bad. It suck that the ending said that all the playable parts of all three games are meaningless. I wish that the RPG element in ME3 add more choices that affects the game play.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

Since Christmas just passed, I'll give your last insult an honest, non-insulting answer. Exclusivity has nothing to do with quality (or lack thereof). I created no less than three threads about X-com Enemy Unknown and have defended it against its few (badly misguided) detractors because like Journey, it is an awesome game.

Wasn't really meant to be an insult, just don't see you talking about many other games than exclusive ones, to each their own. I can't argue that Bioware is not as good as it used to be because that much is certain to be sure. What strikes me as weird is that I never came across any of these bugs or problems you are talking about. Its probably a sign of the time that the people are getting tiredof the sea of sequels for games like this to get GOTY which I can sort of understand. I wouldn't have a problem with it winning best indie, or best psn game or whatever (not my choice but fine) but against all the other games in the mainstream? Eeeeeh can't see it.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="F1Lengend"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Jesus. Journey is pretentious art trash, and this generation needs to die. How this won over the slew of great games this year is baffling. I can't believe any of you would be happy paying $15 for a two hour non game. Mario Party and Barbie games have more gameplay.

Wait, don't you like Planescape Torment and The walking dead? One is essentially a visual novel and the other is an interactive movie. Mario party has more gameplay than both of those games.

Walking Dead is a little gameplay lite but it is still there, and you could make an argument on it I concede. However I won't even get started on Planescape Torment, that might be the dumbest thing you have ever said---- and I say that with love of course <3
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#190 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

I'm pessimistic about adaptations between different mediums. How can a work of literature ever fully manifest in a game? How can you impose the wonderful narrative of Half Life 2 onto paper? However important aesthetics are, it's not enough for a game to function without the "nuts & bolts" and its systems.

Allicrombie

I actually agree with you on this point and furthermore, Campbell's work is not a narrative but rather an anthropological and literary study, identification and classification of redundant myth constructs and paradigms that have been a common factor in various cultures throughout the ages.

nothing new under the sun.... right, which is why its even more impressive that they managed to successfully turn it into a game at all, let alone one that is a serious contender for one of the best games of the year.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#191 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]wiouds

Enough. We get it already -- show and dance, Hollywood something-something, and whatnot. You don't have to keep repeating the same damn phrases over and over and over again as if the same shallow argument is somehow going achieve something. At this point, I assume you're more interested in getting a rise out of people than you are discussing anything.

Either start actually contributing to the thread or leave.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 c_rakestraw  Moderator

In that case Walking Dead would be a disappointment, again I have not played it yet.dvader654

For what its worth, the choices in The Walking Dead do matter, in some sense. Mostly in regards to where your relationship with the group stands across the whole series. It's a lot of small touches, but it goes a long way to making it feel like your actions are having some sort of tangible effect on the whole. The linearity of the story doesn't make the choices any less effective or powerful.

That said, yeah -- there isn't a whole bunch of traditional gameplay there. But then, the whole point is playing it for the story, anyway.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 c_rakestraw  Moderator

as for my point about demon's souls (and at risk of getting off track), it's one of my favorite games. however, getting my ass soundly kicked by the flamelurker in a few seconds and needing to work all the way back to him with even less health, restoratives, or mercy from the game isn't fun. would i want from software to patch the game and change all that? no, the game would be a lot worse.LoG-Sacrament

I see where you're coming from, but that's precisely why Demon's Souls -- and Dark Souls -- is so much fun to play. It's no different than any number of challenging games (XCOM on Ironman Classic, for instance).

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Black_Knight_00
My butt is just fine Black Knight. :Pdvader654
At least until GME gets to it :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Proof positive of just how much generic, re-packaged trash came out this year.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="dvader654"]My butt is just fine Black Knight. :Pdvader654
At least until GME gets to it :lol:

:lol: I'm wearing iron underwear.

Be vigilant
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

Since Mass Effect 1 I told everyone that your choices would not matter that much so I was not affected by the lack of effect of the choices. With that in mind, I found the ending to be bad. It suck that the ending said that all the playable parts of all three games are meaningless. I wish that the RPG element in ME3 add more choices that affects the game play.

dvader654

So you found having six different classes to not be enough. You can play the game as a straight up shooter, as a support class, using force powers, going stealth. I found the classes and haracter building to be more than deep enough. Now do you mean the story choices didn't lead you to all new levels and stuff?

The problem I have is that there is very little deviation you can make within a class. It seems to me that Borderland games have a more control of the character within a class. I would like to have two soldiers be able to play noticeable differently.Instead of an offense power why not get a soldier with a special heavy weapon. Have it where alternative paths that needs out of combat skills to get through.

Imagine having a part of the game that you need to defend a location and you have the time to set up a defense of some type. If you have an engineer with the right skills you can fix up defenses there. You have someone with the right biotic skills then have them move objects around to make cover

I understand that would be hard with staging the shooter parts. After all good staging is the art behind a good shooter. While A WRPG art is from give the player option a ways to deal with task before them.

With that poor made segue, game play elements are art. Game play is what makes something a game. We can have great games with poor visual, audio and story, but with poor game play they game as a game is poor. Until we start thinking of parts of the game that make it a game as art, we will interactive stories claiming to be artistic game while the game part is poor or simple.

I am not saying interactive stories are bad. I am saying trying for force them to be games is wrong. We should remove the burden of trying to be a game from interactive stories like journey, The Walking Dead, and Heavy Rain. They are not games. Just as a novel is not a play. It does not mean that novels are bad.

I think that game of the year should take a look at just the game play as a part of the game.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"] So you found having six different classes to not be enough. You can play the game as a straight up shooter, as a support class, using force powers, going stealth. I found the classes and haracter building to be more than deep enough. Now do you mean the story choices didn't lead you to all new levels and stuff?dvader654

The problem I have is that there is very little deviation you can make within a class. It seems to me that Borderland games have a more control of the character within a class. I would like to have two soldiers be able to play noticeable differently.Instead of an offense power why not get a soldier with a special heavy weapon. Have it where alternative paths that needs out of combat skills to get through.

Imagine having a part of the game that you need to defend a location and you have the time to set up a defense of some type. If you have an engineer with the right skills you can fix up defenses there. You have someone with the right biotic skills then have them move objects around to make cover

I understand that would be hard with staging the shooter parts. After all good staging is the art behind a good shooter. While A WRPG art is from give the player option a ways to deal with task before them.

With that poor made segue, game play elements are art. Game play is what makes something a game. We can have great games with poor visual, audio and story, but with poor game play they game as a game is poor. Until we start thinking of parts of the game that make it a game as art, we will interactive stories claiming to be artistic game while the game part is poor or simple.

I am not saying interactive stories are bad. I am saying trying for force them to be games is wrong. We should remove the burden of trying to be a game from interactive stories like journey, The Walking Dead, and Heavy Rain. They are not games. Just as a novel is not a play. It does not mean that novels are bad.

I think that game of the year should take a look at just the game play as a part of the game.

Your ideas are pretty awesome and I agree completely that the gameplay is the art of the video game. Excellent post.

Truly wiouds, you speak wisdom. All these decades and no one knew that adventure games weren't games :P.