Jack Tretton has stepped down as CEO of SCEA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Can I be dramatic now Pedro? :P

TOKYO, March 6, 2014 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. today announced that Jack Tretton will step down from his role as President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) as of March 31, 2014. This is a result of a mutual agreement between Mr. Tretton and SCEA not to renew their contractual relationship.

Shawn Layden, currently Executive Vice President and COO of Sony Network Entertainment International, will become President and CEO of SCEA, effective April 1, 2014.

A 15-year PlayStation veteran, Layden was one of the founding members of SNEI in 2010, joining the company directly from Sony Computer Entertainment, where he most recently held the position of President, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan. His career at Sony Computer Entertainment also included eight years at SCE Worldwide Studios in London where he directed international software development.

This doesn't look like a power grab like Amy henning's outing, but big news nonetheless. I always liked him... even when he claimed KZ 2005 trailer was realtime.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

This isn't nearly as dramatic as the Amy Hennig thing but it's still kinda sad since I liked Jack.

Can we get some good news from Sony? Jeez, it's like they deliver the most successful launch in history and then press the self destruct button.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Mixed feelings. I think he's disappointed they didnt renew his contract. Kaz betrayal!

A Message From Jack Tretton

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Mar 06, 2014 // President & CEO

PlayStation Nation,

It is with mixed feelings that I inform you that I will be stepping down as President and CEO of SCEA effective March 31, 2014. This is a result of a mutual agreement with SCEA, and I leave knowing that the PlayStation brand has never been stronger, PlayStation 4 momentum continues to accelerate, and the future will only get brighter for our gamers.

Serving PlayStation fans for the past 19 years has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my career. Your passion for gaming inspired me every day.

I want to thank you for constantly pushing PlayStation to deliver breakthrough gaming and entertainment experiences, and to never settle for “good enough.” The embodiment of this commitment can be found in the PS4, which has quickly become the #1 next-gen console worldwide…thanks to you.

We’ve shared many memories over the past two decades and I’ll always be grateful for your support.

Thank you,

Jack Tretton

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

@dvader654 said:

NOOOO! WTF is going on at Sony.

He was great. Will miss him at E3.

Oh that's right! What the hell is Sony's E3 going to be like without him???

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

E3 was definitely more interesting because of Jack.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

@S0lidSnake: Interesting news....Sony is restructuring.....perhaps his departure is part of what is going on internally.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

I think with the success of the PS4 he probably thought he deserved a raise and Sony thought otherwise so they parted ways, thats my assumption. Regardless I loved his presence at E3, second only to KAZ, he will be missed.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

It will be sad to see him leave, because he seems like a genuinely nice man, and always brought a little magic with him to E3. Maybe he thought it was better to go out on a high, and be fondly remembered for his time at Sony.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Good, I couldn't stand that sweaty little ass clown. Anyone will do a better job than Tretton did. He was nothing more than a polarizing figure head.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Disappointing news, hopefully SCEA will not have issues in the long run with a new CEO. However, I feel like Sony know what they are doing. All the best to the guy for the future though, I am sure somebody would like to pick him up.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

TOKYO, March 6, 2014 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. today announced that Jack Tretton will step down from his role as President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) as of March 31, 2014. This is a result of a mutual agreement between Mr. Tretton and SCEA not to renew their contractual relationship.

Shawn Layden, currently Executive Vice President and COO of Sony Network Entertainment International, will become President and CEO of SCEA, effective April 1, 2014.

A 15-year PlayStation veteran, Layden was one of the founding members of SNEI in 2010, joining the company directly from Sony Computer Entertainment, where he most recently held the position of President, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan. His career at Sony Computer Entertainment also included eight years at SCE Worldwide Studios in London where he directed international software development.

This doesn't look like a power grab like Amy henning's outing, but big news nonetheless. I always liked him... even when he claimed KZ 2005 trailer was realtime.

Yes. Dramatic reaction approved. :P I wonder what's the deal with these shake ups?

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

This move of his is pretty understandable as there are many reasons he would leave. Leaving at a high point (which they certainly are currently) is always a nice thing to do. Perhaps he planned to leave for a while but wanted to make sure the launch was successful (leaving before launch of product is never a good sign) or perhaps he did so well at Sony he got a much better offer from another company. Purely speculation of course, but it's not necessarily a bad thing for him personally.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Good, I couldn't stand that sweaty little ass clown. Anyone will do a better job than Tretton did. He was nothing more than a polarizing figure head.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I genuinely could not believe the post above yours. Tretton was the worst thing tied to the Sony name and now that he's gone the company will be better for it. This man by himself is a huge reason why I've had this nagging negative attitude towards Sony for a few years now. He's a disrespectful jerk and and I hope that none of the good strong companies hire him so that he can ride their coattails.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Shame. He was interesting to watch at E3. Guy must have skin thicker than a rhino given the point in time he assumed leadership of SCEA (2006 was Sony's worst year in the console biz).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Wow, that's surprising. It'll be interesting to see where he goes to next.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@firefox59 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I genuinely could not believe the post above yours. Tretton was the worst thing tied to the Sony name and now that he's gone the company will be better for it. This man by himself is a huge reason why I've had this nagging negative attitude towards Sony for a few years now. He's a disrespectful jerk and and I hope that none of the good strong companies hire him so that he can ride their coattails.

i think you mean phil harrison who is subsequently tied to the xbox1

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

Hmm, well Jack was more of a figurehead than a ceo in my eyes so im not surprised or i might be a bit since the ps4 did have a very successful launch.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#19 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

His departure was amicable from the sounds of it. He probably just got tired after working with the same company for so long. Hell, maybe he's going to retire. Who knows. I wouldn't read into this as some huge shake-up or signs of trouble. There's way too many possibilities consider.