ITT: explain why your favorite genres are your favorite

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lucianocasanova
lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lucianocasanova
Member since 2014 • 813 Posts

Racing- I always been a car enthusiast and I kinda love racing in general or things that go fast

Sports- sports enthusiast, love watching and doing them

Fighting- always had an interest in martial arts

Shooters- always had an interest in war

Puzzle- some just feel relaxing( some, not all puzzle games)

Action-adventure- they have stories

Beat em ups- they have sortie and involve fighting

Platformer- same reason as "Action-adventure"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Horror - good stories, and always down for some creeps /tension

RPG (specifically JRPG) - stories, and I like strategic combat, especially of the turn based variety

Avatar image for lucianocasanova
lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lucianocasanova
Member since 2014 • 813 Posts

@meathead373: interesting.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

RPG - building characters, strategic combat, great stories

Action-adventure - fun combat, neat settings, fun characters, good stories

First-person Shooters - love the perspective, provides great stories (some anyways), and simple but effective combat

Metroidvania - fantastic level design, fun combat, character building, and great stories that are hidden

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Right now my favorite genre is metroidvania's. I love the platforming aspect and it feels exciting to dodge dangerous obsticles/enemies. For some reason they feel rewarding to finish.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Edo-Tensei_
Member since 2015 • 173 Posts

Action Adventure: Mixed genre can sometimes implement gameplay elements found in other genres. Pacing and the experiencing "the journey" feel. Story as you said.

Survival Horror: Especially the Japanese classics, makes you tense and focused on the gameplay. Great atmosphere. Resource management is hated by many but in a horror game it helps create the illusion of survival.

RPGS all types: Story, role-playing, mote elements if choice, best immersion, exploration, variety, production values. Best game genre of all time.

Arcade racing: fun.

3d platformers: Often simple yet fun games can be enjoyed by all ages. Funny most of the time. Easy to learn hard to master kind of fun.

Action games: Similar to action adventure but with a deeper focus in fighting engines (exp: DMC).

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

RTS (even though I suck at them): I just enjoy the whole base building aspect (hence my suckiness).

RPG: It's like reading a good book (if it has enough story to back it up that is). I enjoy getting lost in the world, exploring, fighting, leveling up, finding loot, customising my character equipment, etc.

3D Platformers (may they see their glory days again): They're just plain fun and not something to take too seriously.

Horror (when it's done right): I just enjoy a good spoopy.

Assassins Creed type games (for lack of a better word): Sword fights and open world parkour in beautifully designed environments. What's not to like?

True stealth/sneaking type games: Dat tension as you hide from and sneak up on enemies

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

RPG - obvious mathematical cues for player power increases, lots of numbers

Strategy - makes me think

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

My favorite genre is the first person shooter genre. My first FPS game was Call of Duty 3 on the Wii and I enjoyed it a lot minus my arms getting tired from using the Wiimote. I eventually ditched the Wii for the PS3 so I could get more shooters. I have around 55-60 games for it now, and the vast majority are first person and third person shooters. I don't know why, but shooting virtual guns is really fun. :P I can only imagine what it's like to shoot a real gun (probably not even close to like shooting a virtual gun). I'm looking forward to getting my PS4 in the mail soon. :D More awesome games ahead!

FairyWren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FairyWren
Member since 2015 • 29 Posts

My favourite genre is RPG, but with a good story. I love getting lost in another world. I especially like open world RPGs because you have so many choices of what you can do.

Avatar image for british02081979
British02081979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 British02081979
Member since 2015 • 57 Posts

Survival Horror Dying Light i love to bits. The Virals especially the female is funny the way she screams because your out of reach.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Fav - Open World FPS - I love exploring

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Racing - i split it in 2 categories:Arcade and Sim

Sim is for my love of cars and tinkering of engines so i don't put much in them for impressing me with they're looks.

Arcade is for the fun and freedom from the real world , so they must impress me.

Fav sim - Gran Turismo 3

Fav arcade - Burnout Paradise

RPG - Clasic or curent JRPGs

Mostly for battle mechanics and original take on the fights /Disgaea for SRPG , SMT/Persona for clasic and Star Ocean for action/

Fav RPG - Dragon Quest 8

Fighting games - 2d is my weak point , and 3d is a half and half.

For 2d i like that is fast paced and just chaotic.

3d like Tekken and Virtual Fighter are more technical and ask more thought as for a guarantee win , well the old ones that is.

Fav 2d - Street Fighter Alpha

Fav 3d - Tekken 5

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Turn based strategy. One of my favorite games from a while back is Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

Loading Video...

Even though this game looks like utter ass, it had it where it counts. Armor thicknesses and angle, ballistics calculations, terrain considerations, distance, infantry psychology and their ability to withstand battle fatigue. All of it needed to be considered. You'd plan out your move, and then hit play. It would play in 60 second intervals in realtime, then it'd pause and you'd get to give new orders. Like Helmuth von Moltke said, "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy".

Man I wish they'd remake this with modern presentation. I love this genre because it's fascinating watching battles unfold and seeing the implementation and evolution of strategy and tactics when varying dynamics are introduced that you cannot control nor predict. Not many games I play give such satisfying feedback over the long term, which is ironic considering you don't even really "play" Combat Mission at all, you oversee it.

Mannimarco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mannimarco
Member since 2015 • 41 Posts

RTS- Always liked warcraft orcs and humans. Also like C&C Red alert for PC. I still have it on my windows 95 PC. I am also getting a game for genesis called Powermonger which is RTS

RPG- I prefer western RPG games, never liked the JRPG's which is why I never cared for PS1-2 RPGs.

Action- I like games like GTA and Far Cry. Mostly the older GTA's because I think they're way more challenging than 4 and 5. I also liked far cry 3 because it was a great setting IMO and decent story. It reminds me in some ways of the movie "The Beach".

Arcade- I like old school arcade games, but not so much the spending money

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

My favorite genre is open world action adventure, because there is plenty of stuff to do which is very weighty and satisfying, plenty of side missions which offer freedom to complete the game in our fashion. Some eg: of these game are gta, red dead redemption, infamous etc.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I don't think there's a single genre that I haven't enjoyed at least one game from, except the 'playing fake music' genre. I do not like that one.

My favorites:

• RPG/Open World
  • Sports
  • RTS
mdbuchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mdbuchman
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts

Turned Based RPG/Strategy - Old school here....grew up on chess. I like the opportunity to analyze all the options and then make my choice based on that with a timer in the background. I stopped playing the Final Fantasy series when they went away from turn based. That used to be one of my favorites of all time.