It wasn't just the ending that was bad (ME3)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

The whole game was somewhat of a disappointment. I know everyone on Gamespot likes to complain about the ending, but I rarely see anyone complaign about the campaign. I found the comment that Max Temkin of Giant Bomb as the best explanation of why the game disappointed me:

"Mass Effect 3 finally transitioned the Mass Effect franchise into a big dumb action movie, and in many ways that was an incredibly sad experience. The people and places we've discovered and grown to care about were finally reduced to things for Shepard to blow up and places for her to blow things up in, and this ruined the game for me so thoroughly that by the end, when we learned that we shouldn't have even bothered hanging on to our Mass Effect save files for five years, it was just salt in the wound.

InMass Effect 1, we muddled through long elevator rides and boring vehicle combat so we could learn more about the incredibleMass Effectuniverse--the game rewarded our efforts by teaching us about richly-textured worlds and cultures.Mass Effect 2had a lazy plot and more boring combat, but was mostly saved by a great "building your team" story where we got to meet fantastic new characters.

ME3 went wrong because it recycled people and places from the first two games and revisited them only as a series of set pieces for us to blow things up in (we even blew things up on theCitadel, twice). That's a fundamental problem for a Mass Effect game, because what was fun about this franchise wasn't the specific worlds and characters it introduced but the thrill of their discovery. Without that I'm just some guy shooting at lizards and aliens with a machine gun, and what the **** am I supposed to learn about the human condition from that?

Anyway this dumb game is in my top ten because of the part withMordinin the elevator."

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
25 reasons why Mass Effect 3 is silly.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#3 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

I disliked Mass Effect 3 as much as I liked it. It was great at times, but the rest of the time it was by far the weakest of the series and none other that a crappy shooter. Ending aside I felt the missions simply weren't as fun as they could, or should, have been as well.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Since Mass Effect 1, I said that the "choices" would have little to no affects on the ending. So I did not care how little the choices matter at the end, I still say it is one of the worse ending in any story heavy game I have played.

I think the best thing that could have done was push the games after ME3. I know the promise that it would be three games but the story they needed more time to make the Reaper Wars stronger. Because they stuck with the 3 games promise, we got the magic weapon to save the galaxy story.

Even with the magic weapon, they could have made the story better. For example if the last piece of the weapon is a device that the reapers use to allow organic to work with their tech. The only place they know where one is at the former collector base. Depending on if you blew it up or not, the level is different.

Bioware over all stories are not that good. They are good at detail about the characters.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i agree that there were a lot of things wrong with campaign, but i don't think they included the decision to make big action scenes. the series always had big action sequences. ME3 isn't the only ME game to let the player blow stuff up on the citadel or a newly revealed homeworld.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Minishdriveby

Since Mass Effect 1, I said that the "choices" would have little to no affects on the ending. So I did not care how little the choices matter at the end, I still say it is one of the worse ending in any story heavy game I have played.

I think the best thing that could have done was push the games after ME3. I know the promise that it would be three games but the story they needed more time to make the Reaper Wars stronger. Because they stuck with the 3 games promise, we got the magic weapon to save the galaxy story.

Even with the magic weapon, they could have made the story better. For example if the last piece of the weapon is a device that the reapers use to allow organic to work with their tech. The only place they know where one is at the former collector base. Depending on if you blew it up or not, the level is different.

Bioware over all stories are not that good. They are good at detail about the characters.

wiouds
This isn't about the ending though, this is about the game as a whole, and personally I found the whole game a bit of a disappointment.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

Minishdriveby

This isn't about the ending though, this is about the game as a whole, and personally I found the whole game a bit of a disappointment.

The ending was just part of what I talk about.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
I thought the game was fantastic myself. Excellent campaign and incredibly fun multiplayer. Bioware never fails to impress me.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

First off, what the hell did you think the Reapers were going to do? We just spent two entire games and bundles of DLC talking about how destructive the Reapers were, so I really have to say no sh!t to the fact most of the stuff you came to love started to get destroyed... it was kind of the point.

Secondly, the destruction of everything I fought for was one of the reasons I enjoyed the game. Again, we just spent two entire games learning about this world, fleshing it out, discovering new and beautiful places, and now it was time to fight for all of that. It was one of the few games that, while fighting, it felt less like gameplay and more like me trying to save stuff I've come to care about.

This is why the ending was all the more disappointing. You spend an entire game racing against the clock and trying to save the entire galaxy, literally, to have more than half of what makes the world so compelling in the first place to be blown up anyway.

Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

The whole game was somewhat of a disappointment. I know everyone on Gamespot likes to complain about the ending, but I rarely see anyone complaign about the campaign. I found the comment that Max Temkin of Giant Bomb as the best explanation of why the game disappointed me:

"Mass Effect 3 finally transitioned the Mass Effect franchise into a big dumb action movie, and in many ways that was an incredibly sad experience. The people and places we've discovered and grown to care about were finally reduced to things for Shepard to blow up and places for her to blow things up in, and this ruined the game for me so thoroughly that by the end, when we learned that we shouldn't have even bothered hanging on to our Mass Effect save files for five years, it was just salt in the wound.

InMass Effect 1, we muddled through long elevator rides and boring vehicle combat so we could learn more about the incredibleMass Effectuniverse--the game rewarded our efforts by teaching us about richly-textured worlds and cultures.Mass Effect 2had a lazy plot and more boring combat, but was mostly saved by a great "building your team" story where we got to meet fantastic new characters.

ME3 went wrong because it recycled people and places from the first two games and revisited them only as a series of set pieces for us to blow things up in (we even blew things up on theCitadel, twice). That's a fundamental problem for a Mass Effect game, because what was fun about this franchise wasn't the specific worlds and characters it introduced but the thrill of their discovery. Without that I'm just some guy shooting at lizards and aliens with a machine gun, and what the **** am I supposed to learn about the human condition from that?

Anyway this dumb game is in my top ten because of the part withMordinin the elevator."

Minishdriveby

Haters gonna hate

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts
I thought the game was fantastic myself. Excellent campaign and incredibly fun multiplayer. Bioware never fails to impress me.Archangel3371
Yeah same here... Easily my 2012 GOTY. Loved it!
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Mass Effect 2 will always be my favorite of the trilogy. Mass Effect 3 wasn't as bad as Bioware forums and Retake ME3 make it out to be. Granted there are a few flaws in the writing, too much auto dialog, lack of ME2 sqaudmates, no epic suicide mission disappointed me more than the red, green, blue endings. The original Dark Energy endings didn't sound that much better than what we got anyway. Overall, Mass Effect 3 was definitely one of the better games I played in 2012.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I thought the game was fantastic myself. Excellent campaign and incredibly fun multiplayer. Bioware never fails to impress me.Archangel3371

Wouldn't say excellent, but it delivered what it promised.....until the end, where it then failed.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#14 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Mass Effect is overrated as a series.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
ME3 was the biggest dissapointment since DA2. I don't even know what the terrible ending is because the game was bad enough that I never finished it.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiouds

ME3 was the biggest dissapointment since DA2. I don't even know what the terrible ending is because the game was bad enough that I never finished it.dagreenfish

Think of Fable 2 but not as good.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"]ME3 was the biggest dissapointment since DA2. I don't even know what the terrible ending is because the game was bad enough that I never finished it.wiouds

:lol: I couldn't bring myself to finish Fable 2.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"]ME3 was the biggest dissapointment since DA2. I don't even know what the terrible ending is because the game was bad enough that I never finished it.wiouds

So um.. Reaver shoots the um... Reavers during a monologue?
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
My main problem was all the time spent building a team in ME2 and barely getting to use any of them in ME3.
tempertress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#20 tempertress
Member since 2012 • 1131 Posts

I have a serious love/hate relationship with this game.

I think it stands up well as a solid RPG with great gameplay but I hate what has been sacrificed from the first game. The complex RPG levelling systems were all left by the wayside while more action running and climbing elements were picked up - to no real advantage in my opinion.

I love the series but it still doesn't compare to Knights of the Old Republic.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#21 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Hmm, I really liked it but I jumped into the series with the second game, though I am going to go back and play the first one for what that's worth (very little probably).
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#22 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I actually liked the ending. The whole game in general felt like a bad soap opera though. They tried to hard.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I think it stands up well as a solid RPG with great gameplay but I hate what has been sacrificed from the first game. The complex RPG levelling systems were all left by the wayside while more action running and climbing elements were picked up - to no real advantage in my opinion.

tempertress

Pretty much my feelings. I liked the original after I gave it a try, but after thatl, things did'nt really feel right. ME2 felt weird to me. Lost the RPG mechanics in favor of more third-person shooter action, which is'nt really up to the level of polish seen in stuff like Vanquish or Gears of War. I was'nt as disappointed with ME3 as others were because I had some rather low expectations of it- in fact, I was planning on skipping it entirely, but Amazon threw a lightning deal for half price so I decided to go for it then.

tempertress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24 tempertress
Member since 2012 • 1131 Posts

[QUOTE="tempertress"]

gpuFX16

Pretty much my feelings. I liked the original after I gave it a try, but after thatl, things did'nt really feel right. ME2 felt weird to me. Lost the RPG mechanics in favor of more third-person shooter action, which is'nt really up to the level of polish seen in stuff like Vanquish or Gears of War. I was'nt as disappointed with ME3 as others were because I had some rather low expectations of it- in fact, I was planning on skipping it entirely, but Amazon threw a lightning deal for half price so I decided to go for it then.

The original had a lot of problems in lazy side mission level design. The latter games had problems in their over-simplification. Despite that, though, I actually liked the ending(s) and I was happy with my choice. I felt it suited the story and I still loved the series. It's easy to nitpick games, especially the big ones like these that we assume would know better, but at least for me I still loved these games.
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

Minishdriveby

Couldn't agree more with the bolded statement. It was no longer a game but a movie that guided us through with game elemements.

Would also like to add what I said way back then when it first came out. That post got lost within all the "bad/horrible ending/backlash" statements.:P You can't even set up a love interest if unless you did in 1 or 2 or wanted to go gay/lesbian. Interaction within teammates basically went out the window. Everyone was generic as hell, aside from EDI and Steve no one had any sort of character/traits/anything to distinguish characters as unique. You could've replaced everyone in ME3 (Tali, Liara, Garrus, etc) with a new faces and change one or two lines and have them work out just fine because everyone had no personality. Oh wait....they did if applicable.....if you killed them off in 2 or 1. IE Legion is dead, oh well, new half ass legion appears doing legion's lines. As I have said before, its not a bad game, its just not a great game either. A pretty average game being weakest of the trilogy.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Still have no desire to play the game, speaking of which my first and second game saves have long been lost. At this rate, I might just buy the damn game for the Wii U when it gets dirt cheap if I ever decide to get it.
alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

The worst thing about mass effect was this: "Take earth back" that is what was said in the lunch trailer and made me excited but at the end we actually took earth back and saved it by destroying the hole solar system.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

ME3 was bad, very bad.

Cutscene 5 minute, play 2 minutes, cutscene 5 minute, play 2 minute.

They turned epic universal war into General Hospital.

"team" is now choose 2 people out of 5 and only one of them have biotics if you don't save Kaiden.

Side missions are garbage. "Go here and scan to get Eye of Timbuktu" then bring it back to citadel.

Bunch of psycho-bullschit with little boy running thru the woods.

Ending had intelligence of 3 year old.

"We destroy organics to keep synthetics from destroying organics." What???

Choices : Control, Merge, Destroy - wait wasn't this also the ending of Deus Ex?

Some of the enemies are very frustrating to fight, you put like 5000 bullets in them before they die. Ardat Yakshi and those big beasts that charge you, have to reload my shotgun 3-4 times just to kill 1.

To me ME1 was very good and ME2 was the best one.

Had alot of fun in ME2.

ME3 is just "bleh." If all ME games are like ME3 I don't want to buy them anymore. Not fun.

STOP KILLING THE GAME WITH CUTSCENE.

ITS NOT A MOVIE.

ITS A GAME.