Is there really such a thing as a timeless video game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

To clarify, a timeless video game would be a game that came out say 20 years ago, and it would feel like a brand new game if it was released today.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

What you are implying is impossible due to advances in technology. No, something that is timeless is something considered just as good today as the day it was made. It is usually used in traditional art, like paintings, sculptures or literature. In that definition, yes there are a LOT of timeless games out. Super Mario Brothers, Pac Man, Donkey Kong just to name a few.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Chrono Trigger. But it would considered an indie type game today.

Also system shock 2. Apart from the graphics the game feels modern to me.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Excluding the graphics yes

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#5 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

As long as it's memorable in spite of its graphical age, then yes games can be timeless.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Doom and Tetris. Also Ocarina of Time

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Nothing is "timeless", 20 years ago is not so much, I'm 50, 20 years ago I was 30 at that age I had already been playing for many years, I played Pacman, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders and so on at the Arcade when I was 16 so, that's 34 years, my kids don't play any of the games I used to play and if that serves an example, those dear games that entertained one generation will die when that generation is gone. Tetris will only be remembered because it represented a breakthrough in videogames. Anybody remember that handheld football game console from Mattel ? ( I can't remember it's name ) that little device appeared in the market in the late 70's.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Uhm.... Yes...

1st of all.... Its highly unlikely that its going to be a game with a story..... I'm sorry but once you start to factor in things like Characters and Emotions then things are going to show their age due to technological constraints.

You want a complete Gameplay Experience.... No Characters, no settings, no Story what so ever..... If you don't have to concern yourself with believability and accuracy then the game has a higher chance of being Timeless.

a Primary Candidate would be Tetris.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:
1st of all.... Its highly unlikely that its going to be a game with a story..... I'm sorry but once you start to factor in things like Characters and Emotions then things are going to show their age due to technological constraints.

I'd agree that Tetris is a good candidate, but a good story is also timeless.

Meanwhile, Riven is 17 years old and it still looks fantastic. They went with a combination of live actor footage, photorealistic environments, and 'natural' feeling puzzles - none of which have aged since the game's release.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

That is a subjective. What is timeless is or not is base off the person. Some could call Doom timeless but compared to modern FPS, I do find Doom to have been outdated.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mastermetal777

@Planeforger: sounds like an interesting game. I'd like to point out as well that Chrono Trigger, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 6 and 7, Half-Life, Deus Ex, and a few others that escape me are all games considered timeless that have memorable stories.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@Planeforger

Well, I factored in Graphics when I nominated Tetris.

@wiouds

True

Theres is an extremely finite small number games I'd choose over the most average of Modern Games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Yes, there is. There are a lot of great games that have aged superbly. Chrono trigger instantly leaps to mind. When I first played it in 2009, it was modern and fun as hell. Remember that sometimes old school doesn't mean dated.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mastermetal777

@turtlethetaffer: agreed. I didn't get to play it till 2011, and it still feels fesh and new even for the modern times.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Great games are timeless. I have several games I've collected over the past 30 years that I still play and enjoy them more than the games today that get rated 9 and 10 on this website.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 turtlethetaffer

@mastermetal777: I thought the graphics and animations were also far ahead of its time. The game is still a gorgeous example of 2D art done right.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Yes, absolutely. There are quite a few timeless games, many which have already been mentioned.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Judging by OPs definition, I'd say no. How can a 20 year old game feel brand new? Graphic evolve, physics evolve, user interface evolve and so on.

On the other hand, I feel there are plenty of games I'd call timeless (going by my own concept). Baldur's Gate 2 would be a good one. Look at WRPGs these days and you'll see no one have the same kind of depth as Baldur's Gate 2. They all seem to have less spells, less content, less complexity, inferior dialogue. Not only that, but because how they handled the graphic (aside from the characters), it still looks absolutely beautiful. It almost passes the OP's definition of timeless, but the user interface is noticably outdated and so it clearly doesn't feel "brand new".

I know some have mentioned Zelda Ocarina of TIme and I do agree it's a real classic but when you play it, it feels (and looks) pretty damn outdated and to be honest, I believe nostalgia is the biggest factor here.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@xWoW_Rougex: The thing about OoT is that, while the controls and graphics are a tad dated (graphics more so because honestly the game controls fine) the design is what holds up. The game is superb when it comes to things like level layouts and the items you get, as well as the exploration. Plus the story, simple as it is, manages to be endearing, at least to me. I do think calling it the best game of all time is overselling it (I personally like Majora's Mask a lot more) I think that OoT is still a really terrific game in many ways.

which_wich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By which_wich
Member since 2014 • 189 Posts

Tetris.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

homm3, but its not really timeless, since UI is shit, there is no timeless games if you take every aspect of them . And usually old games plays pretty bad compared to new ones, baldurs gate for example, pretty shit interface, non-existent diffuculty curve, but its not a bad game for its time.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

Nothing in art is timeless. The time it was made in is the context, and when seen from a different point in time it is bring seen in a different context.

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

I say Uniracers from the Snes. Sure today you would be more likely to find its type of gameplay on a phone or tablet, but if you did it would certainly fit in with something you would find today.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu

Is anything Timeless at all or do people just have super strong Nostalgia ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

the heavier the focus on gameplay and mechanics, the bigger the chance, and I would say "yes"

Pac-Man

Space Invaders

Tetris

Super Mario Bros.

UFO: Enemy Unknown

Those are a few games I would consider to be timeless. They would likely feel like a game made recently most due to the input. Although nowadays they would likely be indie games ^^ There are other games that fits the bill. I would say that anything that is not Graphics heavy has a good shot, or anything where the mechanics is not made to support the story.

As such I would also in gneral Count some sprite based games, although there is an issue. Older sprite based games had so low quality sprites that it is detrimental now. Which may make some peopel reconsider playing them.

Edit Forgot Pong. That is timeless aswell.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Maddie_Larkin

I didn't know Pong was about two people playing Tennis until 4 years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Maddie_Larkin

I didn't know Pong was about two people playing Tennis until 4 years ago.

wait... pong had people :o omg, I thought it was two walls kicking a brick after eachother :P

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

@Maddie_Larkin

LoL... Me too... And not once did it phaze me. I wish it stayed that way.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@psx2514 said:

To clarify, a timeless video game would be a game that came out say 20 years ago, and it would feel like a brand new game if it was released today.

Like people have said what you suggest/ask is impossible simply do to the exponential development there is in hardware and that of course will be reflected in the games coming out.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

Concerning Tetris, it's interesting how most of you consider this game to be timeless (and I assume that much more people out there do as well). Yet, it's neither the most graphically stunning game out there nor does it have an "epic" storyline (do we really need a long sweeping epic story explaining why all the blocks are falling?)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mastermetal777

@psx2514: I would argue that any game that pushes the boundaries of what can be done with the medium, and is almost universally recognized as doing so, is a timeless one. This can include, but is not limited to, games with stories that really define what it is to act a story out instead of simply watching.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@psx2514

Nope.... The Blocks are also rendered beautifully by that old tech... I mean the 1st you see that block you knew immediately it was a block. Can't say the same for Mario or countless other Characters