Is there any way to make the Steam Box run Windows games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts

Hello! I am sort of a newbie when it comes to PC. I am leaning torwards to buying the Stdam Box from Ibuypower. I heard that it only runs through Linux and i have no experience with upgrading PC's. I know most games on Steam run on Windows and i wanted to get games such as Outlast, DayZ, and Final Fantasy XIII.

Is there any way to make it compatible with the box or am i at Steam's mercy to wait for releases for Linux?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GuitarSmash said:

Hello! I am sort of a newbie when it comes to PC. I am leaning torwards to buying the Stdam Box from Ibuypower. I heard that it only runs through Linux and i have no experience with upgrading PC's. I know most games on Steam run on Windows and i wanted to get games such as Outlast, DayZ, and Final Fantasy XIII.

Is there any way to make it compatible with the box or am i at Steam's mercy to wait for releases for Linux?

A Steambox is a pc , It runs a Steam Os that allows for you to boot into steam and then you run games from there.

So my advice is get a proper pc and just dual boot if you really want the os also.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@GuitarSmash: Yeah, you can dual boot it, just buy a copy of Windows 7 off eBay, and with the USB ports you can plugin your mouse and keyboard and turn it into a hybrid gaming console/desktop PC.

You might also want to check out Ubuntu and dual boot off that, it's free and can also function as a desktop PC.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Yeah just remove that pos linux and install the glorious windows 7 on it.