Is there a console you regret getting?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

Poll Is there a console you regret getting? (63 votes)

Yes 62%
No 32%
No, but traded it after a while due to lack of games 6%

Have you ever had a console you traded in or didn't want after buying it?

• 
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Yeah, probably my PS3. I originally bought one back when the Infamous Bundle, came out and while I played Infamous 1, and 2 afterwards it got stale. Then I traded that in and just recently got another one. Played Last of Us Multiplayer, couldn't be bothered with Single Player and GTA 5 was a let down so now it may be traded in again for Next Gen Money.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Bought a Wii U last december, and what a horrible console it turned out to be. I hung onto it until about June or July of this year until I saw the shit-tastic games lineup they had coming out for the rest of the year. As soon as I saw how crappy it was ending up I got rid of that crapper pronto (luckily got rid of it shortly before the price drop) and applied the cash towards my up and coming PS4.

Lesson learned...never buy a Wii U!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I've purchased most systems ever since the Atari 2600 and the only one I ever regretted buying was the 3DO. However I never did purchase a Jaguar or Virtual Boy but I'm sure those would have been right up there as well.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Not really. I used the Wii much much less than anything else; bought one around the time SMG 2 released and I don't think I played it from late 2011. It was only purchased for a handful of games, nearly all of which met expectations.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Yes and it was the Gamecube. In my opinion the library was horrible!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i have kept all my consoles myself and i have been fortunate that i have bought consoles i have been content with. SNES, N64, PS2, 360 and PS3

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I still have my original Atari 2600. And I don't regret any of them. Luckily I had a pretty good "crap sensor" and never picked up some of the more doomed consoles over the years. I skipped the 32X until it was like $12, I skipped the Atari Jaguar and the Phillips CD-I.

I guess the Wii was kind of a waste of money, but I don't regret it. And it was technically my kid's machine, not mine. So I'm going with a solid "no".

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

The saturn for lack of games and support.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Virtual Boy. I used all of my birthday money from my 16th birthday to buy one. At full price. Ugh.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

Virtual Boy. I used all of my birthday money from my 16th birthday to buy one. At full price. Ugh.

oh man, that sucks

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Game.com, Trubo Grfx, 3DO, NEOGEO, NEOGEO Pocket, Atari 5200,WonderSwan, Vita and 3DS (those last two may redeem themselves yet).

Mostly due to lack of games I can enjoy.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@lozengez said:

Game.com, Trubo Grfx, 3DO, NEOGEO, NEOGEO Pocket, Atari 5200,WonderSwan, Vita and 3DS (those last two may redeem themselves yet).

You bought a 3DO? On purpose? You poor bastard. I pity thee.

I had a Turbo Grfx too. But I didn't regret it at all. There was a great movie rental place by my house and the owner was a gamer too, so he always had the coolest games. Back then he'd rent SEGA games, SNES games, NES games, and even had a shelf of Turbo Grfx games as well. If I weren't able to rent and try some of them though, I can certainly see how one might regret that purchase.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

@lozengez: i loved the turbo grafx, I think its underated actually.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Wii U.

It's literally in a trash bag right now. Though thats because im too lazy to take it out after moving.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

The original Xbox. I somehow fell into the hype surrounding Halo 2, and I only ever owned one game for it (which was not Halo 2).

Came close to buying a 360 once, but I never did. I don't regret that choice, however.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
@1PMrFister said:

The original Xbox. I somehow fell into the hype surrounding Halo 2, and I only ever owned one game for it (which was not Halo 2).

Why did you buy an Xbox if you didn't get the SEGA, From Software, Team Ninja and Bizarre Creations games? There's some overhauled games like Genma Onimusha and Fatal Frame 2: Director's Cut with exclusive improvements. 720p enabled games like Soul Calibur II and The Warriors..

Shit, you even had the ability to actually go online and play Phantom Dust, something i unfortunately missed, i just recently picked up an OG Xbox.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
@mattykovax said:

@lozengez: i loved the turbo grafx, I think its underated actually.

Man, i have to agree here. I used to love the hell out of my turbografx. Galaga was so amazing back then on there, some old wrestling type game, the one alien pinball game, and bonk! Those were some good times.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

Honestly, the Xbox 360. I bought the Skylander bundle last Black Friday for $150. I had wanted one for so long. However, I now have thirty games for it and have played maybe 10 hours on it in the past year. I have so many games on Steam that I don't take the time to play console games. It's my own fault, not the fault of the console.

@1PMrFister said:

That's a shame. There were so many great games for the original Xbox. So many games I enjoyed that I actually started collecting them. I own about 550 of the 800 or so North American releases. One day I will have a copy of every game released!

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

pretty much every Nintendo console after the SNES. I never really cared for any Nintendo-made games, except Zelda, so once the major 3rd parties abandoned Nintendo post-SNES, Nintendo's consoles pretty much became irrelevant to me. I bought N64 for Ocarina and then promptly traded it in after finishing said Zelda game(for Star Ocean 2 and racer by Namco as I remember.). I bought a GC the first time for Eternal Darkness, traded it in, then bought it again for RE4. I would have been better off never buying either of them given my monetary situation at those particular times. Didn't get much enjoyment out of it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Never, i am a gamer at heart and have grown up gaming, so nah i might have regretted buying a game or two, but never a console, there are always a game worth it on every console.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes. I regret ever buying the Xbox 360. I personally never got much out of XBL, and the few good exclusives never managed to justify the expense in my opinion.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@lozengez said:

LOL, I had a Game.com as well. It was awful. I had a Mortal Kombat game, and it's port of Duke Nukem 3D, which oddly enough was likely it's best game. I also had RE2 on it, which was just awful. Still, it's the best gaming device Tiger ever made, a far sight better than those god awful stand alone game devices and wrist watch games they used to make.

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Only bought a 360 so far and loved it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Yes. A 3DO and a Jaguar (I won't even mention how much I paid for it, let's just say it was far, FAR above retail). At least Tempest was cool.

I also regret buying my Neo Geo, not because it's a bad system or has garbage games, but when I bought it I didn't take into consideration the game prices, especially how much they cost the older they get. Not to mention emulation makes it worthless really.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The Gamecube. Prior to launch and early on Nintendo was talking about how they were planning on releasing original games alongside their familiar franchises and they even acquired Silicon Knights (I really enjoyed the original Legacy of Kain). Unfortunately both Miyamoto's Pikmin and SK's Eternal Darkness were commercial disappointments and Nintendo decided to abandon originality and focus on milking the faithful. Despite the superb RE4, the GC is far and away my worst purchase. Its not the worst system I ever played (that honor goes to the Jaguar, but that was my brother's mistake) but it was crappy.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Never, i am a gamer at heart and have grown up gaming, so nah i might have regretted buying a game or two, but never a console, there are always a game worth it on every console.

Basically this. Well, that and I pretty much don't believe in 'buyer remorse' shit. Whether it's a game or console I always thoroughly think out if I could see myself being interested in the long run of that console and buy accordingly. I pretty much listen to my intuition; if I have vibe that absolutely KNOW I'll like *this* console or *that* game that plays on a certain console (in addition to considering all future game releases for it) then I go w/ it and never look back. If I have a vibe I should wait, then I wait.

Shit...I ain't made of money, afterall. Ain't nobody got no time to be having shit sit around the house collecting dust b/c I don't have any other reason to use it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

I bought a Wii U about a week ago. No regrets as yet. It would be the second time I have purchased the system. I still hate some aspects of it but its functional.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PumpkinBoogie

@Pedro said:

I bought a Wii U about a week ago. No regrets as yet. It would be the second time I have purchased the system. I still hate some aspects of it but its functional.

'Second time'?? What happen to the first one? o_0

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

@PumpkinBoogie said:

I returned it. I was unexpressed. I still not sure why I bought it again. LOL

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Got a 360 because I thought my PS3 was on its way out and I was going to go for a change of pace. Good thing my PS3 didn't die because I was bored with the 360 in no time and traded it in, there weren't enough exclusives I wanted and the whole paying for internet wasn't doing much for me since I mainly played single player games and there were no incentives like with Playstation Plus.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PumpkinBoogie

@Pedro said:

@PumpkinBoogie said:

I returned it. I was unexpressed. I still not sure why I bought it again. LOL

Yeeah....that DOES beg to question 'why'.......0_o

But hopefully, it'll be better luck for you this time, lol.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

PS3

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_Last_Ride

@sukraj said:

PS3

Really? Why? Just curious

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

No. I've owned pretty much ever console ever made since the Atari 2600 and I've never regretted buying any of them. I may have regretted paying full price for a few of them, but I have always found something to play on every console.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 1PMrFister

@Lucianu said:
@1PMrFister said:

Why did you buy an Xbox if you didn't get the SEGA, From Software, Team Ninja and Bizarre Creations games? There's some overhauled games like Genma Onimusha and Fatal Frame 2: Director's Cut with exclusive improvements. 720p enabled games like Soul Calibur II and The Warriors..

Shit, you even had the ability to actually go online and play Phantom Dust, something i unfortunately missed, i just recently picked up an OG Xbox.

We didn't have internet at my house at the time, so that was half the reason for owning an Xbox eliminated already. I rented quite a few games for it, and I enjoyed some of the exclusives, but it just didn't warrant its purchase for me like my PS2 and Gamecube did.

If there is one good thing to come from me getting one, it's that it taught me to never buy a system for just one game. I don't exactly have that much money to throw into this hobby.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride

@1PMrFister said:

@Lucianu said:
@1PMrFister said:

We didn't have internet at my house at the time, so that was half the reason for owning an Xbox eliminated already. I rented quite a few games for it, and I enjoyed some of the exclusives, but it just didn't warrant its purchase for me like my PS2 and Gamecube did.

If there is one good thing to come from me getting one, it's that it taught me to never buy a system for just one game. I don't exactly have that much money to throw into this hobby.

it's not wise to base a purchase a console on just one game

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:
True words of wisdom. I bought a Vita solely for Persona 4 Golden and now I regret it because I hardly play the system at all, even though I have quite a few Vita and PSP games.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39  Edited By Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Yep, traded my PS3 for Xbox 360 so I could play Halo games. Turns out I really don't like Halo games, plus there so many more exclusives on PS3 and it worked better for stream movies from my PC.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By 1PMrFister

@The_Last_Ride said:

@1PMrFister said:

@Lucianu said:
@1PMrFister said:

That is what I said, yes.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Yes, the Wii and the Wii U were huge disappointments.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Not really. The closest I came to regretting a console was PS2... I already had a Gamecube and I felt like it offered very little other than Dragon Quest VIII and Devil May Cry 3.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

The 360, it broke within a year of having it, but I did get a PS3 slim after so I guess I'm glad it broke.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#44 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Xbox 360 only cause it had the disc drive error after a few months of owning it. Went through about five consoles before the Slim came out. Xbox, only cause I never got the chance to play the system as my brother hogged it with Halo 2 all of the time. I only got to play a few games like Nina Gaiden, Shenmue 2, Halo, Halo 2, and 3rd party games.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@1PMrFister said:

@Lucianu said:
@1PMrFister said:

You know, the cool thing these days is that both the OG Xbox and the games are dirt cheap, it requires the least amount of money to collect.

I'd say that the system is on par, arguably better than the Gamecube as far as quality exclusives go, it's just that most of these are hidden gems overshadowed by Halo and popular PC ports. Here's what i would recommend, exclusive wise, if you haven't played these yet:

The SEGA games - Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, GunValkyrie, Shenmue II, Outrun 2 and SEGA GT 2002.

From Software games - Otogi: Myth of Demons, Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors and Metal Wolf Chaos

Team Ninja - Dead or Alive Ultimate, Dead or Alive 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black

Bizarre Creations - Project Gotham Racing 2 (the best in the series, and one of my favorite racing games ever made)

For some splitscreen action wen your friends come over, also recommend the exclusives Phantom Dust, MechAssault 1 & 2.

I'd also recommend some multiplats (which aren't on the PC), some of which are superior on the Xbox - Super Monkey Ball Deluxe, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Burnout 3: Takedown, Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO, Genma Onimusha and Fatal Frame 2: Director's Cut.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Randolph said:

me chana did n't get it.

ZEYAAM898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ZEYAAM898
Member since 2009 • 1921 Posts

no

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@1PMrFister said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@1PMrFister said:

@Lucianu said:
@1PMrFister said:

That is what I said, yes.

Yeah, that's why i am not going with Xbox One this time around.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The console I regret getting is the CD-ROM add on for the Turbographx-16 Which at the time cost $700.00 but back in 1990. Playing videogames on a CD was a big deal. It would be until Dec 3rd 1994 until Sony was able to make CD gaming mainstream. 1995 in North America. So I was able to at least play games Via CD Rom 5 years before it caught on.

The TG CD Rom player was alright. Just not many games were released for it. But it is not a full console. So the console I have bought the least games for. Hence the regret is the Nintendo Wii. But it cost only $179.99 at the time. Just motion controls are not my thing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

No. I like the option of playing whatever game I want....I did not use the Wii much but I do plan on picking up a Wii U. I just can't see ignoring Nintendo games.