Is "The Last of Us" as good as "Half-Life"?

• 98 results
#51 Posted by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Jacanuk said:

I disagree here, Beyond two souls and Heavy Rain are as filled with cutscenes as The last of us is, so if you call those two cinematic experiences, The Last of Us sure as a amen in church is the same. So you can't rule that out just because you are a huge fan of Tlou.

Beyond: Two Souls - 8 hours and 14 minutes of cutscenes

Heavy Rain - 2 hours and 20 minutes of cutscenes

The Last of Us - 2 hours of cutscenes

Do your research next time.....

What about you just learn to read? but honestly don't bother responding, debating with you is like hitting my head into the wall constantly so i have no intention of doing that.

Why, because I point out your factually incorrect statements and you don't like being told that you are wrong?

#52 Posted by MrYaotubo (2680 posts) -

Half Life is one of the best,most influential and important games ever made. The Last of Us is not.

#53 Edited by platinumking320 (666 posts) -

One was the first to prove you can use set pieces entirely to facilitate a story. The other needed cutscenes for its drama...

not fair? two different games? Okay...what else can we measure...

Allright the Half-life US containment soliders vs. TLOU factions.

Ulp looks like the former has better A.I. and weaponry.....and Adrian Shepard (its not cheating)

Sorry TLOU. you did good.... Just not enough.

#54 Edited by firefox59 (4378 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Jacanuk said:

I disagree here, Beyond two souls and Heavy Rain are as filled with cutscenes as The last of us is, so if you call those two cinematic experiences, The Last of Us sure as a amen in church is the same. So you can't rule that out just because you are a huge fan of Tlou.

What about you just learn to read? but honestly don't bother responding, debating with you is like hitting my head into the wall constantly so i have no intention of doing that.

Why, because I point out your factually incorrect statements and you don't like being told that you are wrong?

You can beat TLoU in about 6 hours. Heavy Rain is 5 hours long. So the percentages of gameplay to cutscenes between the two aren't that far off. I have no idea how long it takes to beat Beyond .

#55 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2943 posts) -

Lol , not even close . I don't know why you even mentioned both games in one sentence . Every time when Half Life came out , it changed FPS forever . What impact did The Last of Us make .? None .

It is only praised for character progression and story telling .

#56 Posted by Ish_basic (4010 posts) -

Lol , not even close . I don't know why you even mentioned both games in one sentence . Every time when Half Life came out , it changed FPS forever . What impact did The Last of Us make .? None .

Can you really talk about impact fairly? HL came out 16 years ago and so has had plenty of time to influence the industry. We've only seen a couple dev cycles since TLoU.

In any case, I don't think impact is a good measuring stick. There are plenty of good ideas that get ignored (i.e., h ave no impact) yet are really great ideas. I think about how Chrono Trigger had New Game + and yet it was years, maybe even decades before we ever saw the feature again in console RPGs. Starbreeze innovated this tremendous FPS design for Escape from Butcher Bay...a design that facilitated story telling in a realistic way with no cutscenes and believable game environments, and yet here we are years later, not even a hint of it in other games.

Additionally, a game can have impact without being really great. Kill.switch is one of the primary templates used by cover shooters today...you'd be suprised how closely GoW and Uncharted follow it.

#57 Posted by Jacanuk (4331 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Jacanuk said:

You can beat TLoU in about 6 hours. Heavy Rain is 5 hours long. So the percentages of gameplay to cutscenes between the two aren't that far off. I have no idea how long it takes to beat Beyond .

Also what i said wasn't about any specific amount of time, what i wrote was if you look at Heavy Rain and Beyond they are as filled with cutscenes meaning that they play a major part in all 3 games, remove the cutscenes from Heavy Rain, Beyond or Tlou and you wont sit back with anything but a empty shell.

So it doesn't make sense to call the first 2 cinematic experiences and not call The Last of Us the same thing.

#58 Posted by filben (34 posts) -

Well, I've finished TLOU three times, and it's one more to go for me. But I've never finished HL. It haven't been something special for me since release. So for me it's the better game. Nevertheless it's hard to compare on objective point of view since they are totally different.

But calling TLOU a movie is very much of nonsense. Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls are interactive movies as they clearly (at least BTS) advertises with actors. Telltale games like TWD or TWAU are interactive movies. TLOU is just like a slow paced (gameplay-wise) action-adventure. There are different solutions to almost each situation. You can choose to be stealthy or to engage in combat. Sometimes you're forced to either one. You upgrade weapons, scavenge for parts and explore the world/scenes (obviously not big time, since, you know, it's not Skyrim/open world RPG). But those points are pretty obvious so I just take people saying it's a movie as a troll.

#59 Edited by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) -

@firefox59 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Hahaha no.

If you speed-run through it, maybe. But nobody who is actually intending to enjoy the game spends less than 10 hours on it. I have played through it twice, and both times took about 15 hours. I was playing on Hard difficulty, btw.

#60 Posted by Shmiity (5100 posts) -

The Last of Us got me right in the feels. Half-Life was an important game for the FPS genre, though.

#61 Posted by loafofgame (523 posts) -

You guys realize you're comparing a game that was released only last year with a game released back in 1998, right? Half-Life has had 16 years for people to think about it critically. The Last of Us was only released last year, and recently re-released for the PS4, and people are still talking about it, whether they praise it or detract from it. Give it a couple more years before you make a snap judgement on its longevity.

[...]

But again, it was made in 1998 and has had 16 years to be criticized and pondered. If you really want to have this conversation be relevant, let The Last of Us be debated over and over for 16 years and see where it stands. But then again, these are games in 2 completely separate genres, so I don't think comparisons are too fair. But eh, what can you do.

This. Also, I'd say it was relatively easier for Half Life to innovate its genre than it is for TLOU, given the developments that preceded the two games. I know that's a risky statement, but well, if someone has already invented the wheel, you can't really invent it again. You can only improve it. But that will never feel as significant. Anyway, as has been said, comparing these two games makes little sense to me: too different and too far apart.

#62 Edited by uninspiredcup (8301 posts) -

People are understandably focusing on Halflifes massive, massive impact.

It the same time as well, it is a fucking good game. One of the greatest aspects compared to 99% of games at the time and now (including Last Of US and it's sequel Halflife 2) is the illusion that the world within the game world exists outside of the player rather than revolving around him/her.

The lengthy introduction of the player as essentially a generic employee, escaping, fighting and through that reaction, becoming the focus of the military as reactionary to killing grunts. Afterwords, later in the game the military simply give up and plan to level the place. Leaving the player purely with the aliens of Xen.

Inside all of this the player is being given funny little meta stories of scientists trying to escape, aliens invading, marines wiping out scientists, marines and aliens fighting and the eventually the win of Xen. Hints of something greater going on without spelling it out.

At the time it was mind blowing. And playing Black Mesa again, it's still better than FPS today imo. That's not nostalgia.

#63 Posted by mastermetal777 (1247 posts) -

@firefox59: The Last of Us is much longer than 6 hours. My shortest playthrough, which was a speedrun, lasted about 10 hours. If you take the time to get all the collectibles, listen to optional dialogue, and scavenge for supplies, it stretches to a little over 16 hours. And this is on Normal difficulty.

#64 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@mastermetal777: as a single-player only gamer i honestly can't imagine buying games that last for such a short duration at full price. absolutely unacceptable for me.

#65 Posted by mastermetal777 (1247 posts) -

@udubdawgz1: as a single-player gamer myself, I prefer a quality tightly made experience over one that lasts hundreds of hours. I like longer games, but I prefer one I can enjoy as a quality product rather than one that has a bunch of things to do that may be of varying quality

#66 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

The Last of Us is honestly probably the better game, but not nearly as memorable an experience for me. Half-Life blew my mind when it came out, TLOU didn't feel that way.

But the genres the games occupy are so far off from one another...there really isn't enough to compare them aside from personal preference.

#67 Posted by Ballroompirate (22772 posts) -

TLOU is in a whole superior league than Half Life.

#68 Edited by dakan45 (18614 posts) -
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Why are we comparing one of the greatest video games of all time to a movie?

what he said.

Half life had amazing ai for its time and its still is today, the ai in TLOU is garbage. Half life is a benchmark of how to make a linear game becaue it has variety, while TLOU re uses the same idea all over...find ladder,sneak, find plank...would be fine if it was 8 hours but they dragged it to 15 hours.

@Black_Knight_00: Are you serious? So what you saying is that you like the game becuase its a sony game? Thats what you are saying basicly. From what i read up until your comment people dont like how this game got rated so high for its story and not its lackster gameplay. When the order comes out and it is utterly uber scripted as the previews said and people will "hate" it for being "cinematic" as hell are you gonna call "sony haters" on that one too?

@Cloud_imperium: maybe TLOU has a lot more impact in the future and everyone makes more "cinematic" games that focus on the story. That wont be a impact in a good way, it will only make me stop playing games, or stop playing games until sony and ms turn into "hulu" and you pay for a subsription fee to stream their "interactive experiances" and use a controller to "interract" with the story..... Games cost 50-100 million to make, lets turn them into interactive movies, that will surelly not be a waste of money and development time. (sarcasm)

#69 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -

i don't like any thing about Half Life games

TLOU is far better game for me

also one is FPS and the other is survival Wide linear TPS with exploring how can you compare them when they have nothing in commen ?!

#70 Edited by Notorious1234NA (527 posts) -

@udubdawgz1: because the two games are fundamentally diff.

#71 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -
@Cloud_imperium said:

not true

name all those huge numbers of reviews and gamers who give it 10/10 just because the story and didn't love the gameplay too ...i will wait

#72 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11575 posts) -

@shadiezz2012

Its gameplay was praised too.... It just wasn't great gameplay. Infact half of it wasn't gameplay at all.

#73 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: maybe in your opinion but to me and most the gameplay was indeed great ...also what game are you talking about that half of it wasn't gameplay ?!

outside of 17-20+ hours game only 2 hours of it are videos

and i'm still waiting for all those reviews that only praised the story and not the game play while giving it overall 10/10

#74 Posted by mastermetal777 (1247 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: if you're talking about the sections where you're walking around looking for stuff and optional conversations, then all you're saying is it's not gameplay in the strict definition you've made it out to be. It most definitely is gameplay if you're still in control of the character.

#75 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -

@mastermetal777: that's exploring which is indeed gameplay ....do people here really think exploring for items in games is not gameplay anymore ?!

that makes all open world games with no gameplay then

#76 Edited by mastermetal777 (1247 posts) -

@shadiezz2012: Oh I know it's all still gameplay. I'm just trying to explain it to Lulu_Lulu, which is a lost cause, but I try anyways lol. And don't get them started on the gameplay debate either. Here's 2 things you need to know about Lulu_Lulu: they have a hatred of RPGs that doesn't make any sense, and they hate stories in games because they believe it doesn't work in the video game medium (again, doesn't make much sense).

#77 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@dakan45: lol, no kidding. tlou is a game that epitomizes redundant, mediocre and copycat gameplay. if cinematic presentation continues to be given a higher emphasis than great gameplay, then, i too won't be playing video games. well, lol, i'm already done with consoles. but, the point is made.

searching the net, i am truly baffled at how reviewers either ignore the generic and uninspired gameplay or actually freakin praise its mundane mechanics that many other games do much better. the sheep are herded to the pen with such ease these days and it's no wonder that devs waste their money on voice-acting, "accessibility" and panache. the fluff of sales.

as well, the story of tlou is astoundingly cliched, pc and hardly unexpected. the game is also short and has one reasonably difficult setting. one play-through needed only.

however, it's all presented very well.

#78 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11575 posts) -

@shadiezz2012

Don't wait for me... I made no such claim.... Atleast not to you.... Anyway MasterMetal just explained what I meant by gameplay.

@mastermetal777

Yeah I get it. You see no difference between Interaction and Gameplay. This is where our "discusion" usually ends

#79 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -

@mastermetal777: strange ..i saw him praise TLOU though in past comments

also if he indeed don't like TLOU or RPG games then his opinion is thankfully is in the very very minority.

#80 Posted by mastermetal777 (1247 posts) -

@shadiezz2012: He only likes the gameplay, which is only half of what the game is about. I'm pretty sure he doesn't truly care for the story at all.

#81 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11575 posts) -

@mastermetal777

"...they have a hatred of RPGs that doesn't make any sense...."

Because I said no such thing....

Tell me.... What do I hate about RPGs ?

You can't because you don't pay attention.... And thats okay, but why you feel the need to spread lies about me ?

#82 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: i know you didn't...in fact i remember you loving the game you even said you hated uncharted games but TLOU was awesome game for you

i'm talking about another user who said TLOU is only loved because the story which is not true

#83 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11575 posts) -

@shadiezz2012

Sometimes people like him say generalizing things and you have to put in the extra effort to figure what they really mean. theres alot of misunderstandings.

#84 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -
#85 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@shadiezz2012: that wasn't me, but, i do think the presentation, graphics and cinematics combined with the dialogue, voice-acting and characters has, quite obviously, blinded people to the very mediocre gameplay that is also simply presented well.

how else can i explain the acceptance of so many that the gameplay is actually good, when, it can be proven average, faulty and redundant? been there done that and, as a matter of fact, done better by others.

as for me, the story was typical forced cliche pc garbage that moved me none at all.

#86 Posted by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -

@udubdawgz1: maybe because they can have different opinions than your opinion

#87 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@shadiezz2012: lol, yes, the cinematic presentation allows people to form erroneous opinions of the provably average and copycat gameplay elements of tlou.

you see, there is FACT in video games and all "opinions" aren't simply accepted because... they are opinions.

we should print out the dialogue and go through it line by line and see if i can "prove" that it's cliched, forced and pc.

we should go through all the gameplay elements of tlou and see if i can find such gameplay (and, done better) in previously released games.

or, we could just say something like, "maybe because they can have different opinions than your opinion." which, btw, also applies to me.

nah, lol.

#88 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -

or, we could just say something like, "maybe because they can have different opinions than your opinion." which, btw, also applies to me.

yes i agree ...it just happens that your opinion is among the very very minority.

also just asking ...what's your psn ?

#89 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@shadiezz2012: it WAS among the small minority months ago when the game was first released. scouring the internet now it is quite obvious that there are MANY more people who feel the way i do.

there's a big difference between liking a game and objectively analyzing a games components and mechanics.

#90 Posted by -Unreal- (24540 posts) -

Half-Life was a much better game than TLoU. It is one of the most stand-out games of the genre and in gaming as a whole. When it was released in 1998, it was an incredible game. When TLoU was released, it was a good game but it isn't a game that has the same legacy or impact as Half-Life did.

#91 Posted by Refresh220 (17 posts) -

The Last of Us is better in my opinion.

#92 Posted by dostunuz (26 posts) -

Nothing will ever beat first Half-Life. Oh, maybe Half-Life 3 if that ever happens.

#93 Posted by dakan45 (18614 posts) -

@udubdawgz1: Notice how biosh!t infniite is basicly the same. A repettive long story focused game that you have crappy combat that you kill hordes of identical enemies and you got a female charactr following you around.

10/10 best game ever.

Makes you wonder if hl2 was rated so high for the same reason rather for the varied and well designed campaign.

#94 Posted by dakan45 (18614 posts) -

@shadiezz2012: Most of which is repettiion, it hardly qualifies as extra gameplay, i cant believe you said it was more influential than half life, fanboy much?

Seems i was once again right, the TLOU fanboys are UNREAL!!

#95 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11575 posts) -

@dakan45

Video Games are all about repitition. Its not a negative thing. Unless the gameplay is not Fantastic !

#96 Edited by dakan45 (18614 posts) -

@dakan45

Video Games are all about repitition. Its not a negative thing. Unless the gameplay is not Fantastic !

No after a while the game gets borring, it needs variety.

#97 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11575 posts) -

@dakan45

In my experience, people are easily fooled. Remember all those cows who talked about variety in Uncharted 2, from the jungle to the ruins to the snow caves and mountains and the Epic Train Section..... It was the same crap just with a different background. And you know what, it worked.... People don't want gameplay variety they just want distractions..... You'l see it pop up ALOT in Open World games. Same gameplay in different scenarios.

If you wana see variety done right then check out Super Mario 3D World.

#98 Edited by PCgameFan (9 posts) -

TLOU is a medicore, not even good. HL is a great game. HL2 is the greatest.

#99 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8850 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@fred_flatulence said:

Thoughts?

No.

Half-Life was a game that revolutionized the FPS genre and even today can be seen mimicked in almost all FPS games.

The Last of Us is a mediocre 3ps action game that only have one thing going for it and thats the story which many seem to think is so good.

Which also leads to why would anyone compare the two, one is a FPS the other is a 3ps action game.

My play through of the last of us had almost no third person shooting... In fact the game discourages that kind of an approach. Stealth and planning were big parts of the Last of Us. Situations felt very dynamic at times.

#100 Posted by jcopp72 (5336 posts) -

Thoughts?

that's quite the question there. to answer, no The Last of Us is not just as good as Half Life, It is soo much better.