Is the hate against Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare unfair?

BigGamerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll Is the hate against Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare unfair? (37 votes)

Yes 46%
No 54%

I feel that the cod fanbase reacted too harshly to the game.

Like, this is what they wanted three years ago. (which is when they started developing the game.) It's not their fault that everyone changed their minds so quickly.

• 
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

I think a big reasons for a lot of recent hate is the fact that the Call of Duty series continues to release games that are based in the future, despite many fans' desires for games that are based off of past times/wars (like World War II). Fans of the series are angry because it seems like the publisher (Activision) is not listening to the wishes of a majority of the fanbase. This is the main reason why Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare trailer received so much hate while the Battlefield 1 trailer was so well received, many people are praising Battlefield 1 for giving fans what they want instead of continuing to push the futuristic setting that Call of Duty continues to push, despite the fact that many people are tired of the futuristic setting in CoD. Futuristic wars is oversaturated the market long time ago during Halo, Killzone, Gears of War, and Gundam games while Infinite Warfare is late to the futuristic setting and Advance Warfare should have been enough and that game was okay in my books but Infinite Warfare is just pushing it way too far then Advance Warfare should have stayed.

As someone who used to love COD, it just isn't the same anymore. It doesn't have the same enjoyment. Installment after installment, it feels the exact same, nothing new, which led to it's initial profound hate but as the series went on, it decided to try and refresh the series by taking a futuristic spin and it is woefully underwhelming and Advance Warfare was the last time I even play CoD. (besides Infinite Warfare Beta)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@biggamerdude We can't go a few months without a "Why everyone hate the latest CoD" thread, but at least you added a poll to the mix.

Repeating what I posted last-time I dropped into this subject. >No<; however I'm also not a fan of the series, and will loose no sleep over me 'missing out' playing Call of Duty.

Only time I checked out this series was MW2 and it bored me quickly, both the campaign and a wave of online despite getting an o'k kill streak.

FPS is a vast genre, and games like Destiny, CoD, and Battlefield I've never found fun. I prefer twitchy shooters. More hectic experiences like D00M, Overwatch/ Team Fortress 2, Shadow Warrior, Bioshock and Halo.

We all have different tastes though, so play what you like.

You don't see me posting a thread "Is the hate against Dark Souls III Unfair". Namely because I'm not bothered if people on GS don't like it. I found it amazing, best in the series in my opinion, and I've played all the Soulborne series religiously for years.

Could easily replace that with other games I like, that are bashed in the forums. .

So my point is. What do you think? is all that counts_

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3  Edited By Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

It's like pop music, people always hate the mainstream, COD games are pretty good FPS, but this frenchise is commercialized to the bone and that's the reason why it's so hated. if it's fair or not? Activision don't give a damn as long as people buying.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

CoD has long suffered from franchise fatigue. And it doesn't help that this year release of the CoD4 remaster. Is stealing some thunder from Infinite Warfare.

The demand for a WW2 game has been growing for a long time. And now, since Battlefield 1 is seemily a smashing success. The market is there for an old era shooter. And it may be time to ditch the space suit. You can only do future warfare so much, before it gets played out.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Sure, I guess but I think the game looks awesome and I'm very eager to picking it up when it comes out. I still love the setting that they use for the Call of Duty games myself so I really don't mind at all.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts
@nirogol said:

It's like pop music, people always hate the mainstream

i don't believe that personally. it may have an effect on people's perspective but i think it's more

@jak42 said:

CoD has long suffered from franchise fatigue.

^this. there's been at least one new cod game released every year for the past 11-12 years. that's a lot of very similar games. year after year after year.

@jak42 said:

And it doesn't help that this year release of the CoD4 remaster. Is stealing some thunder from Infinite Warfare.

i think the bundled cod 4 remaster is their attempt to pre-empt the effect of that fatigue on sales, hence the subtle bump in price.

my interest in the cod series has declined in line with their shift of focus from single to multiplayer. my favourite cod campaigns are all by infinity ward, cod 1, 2 and 4. i'd love activision to take the shackles of the cod template off and let iw loose to create whatever game they wanted

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#7 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

My hate is more for Activision, and they consumer soul killing business practices they employ. COD is good for what it is. I still play BLOPS 2, a few times a week, and it's good stupid fun. Activision needs to be sent to hell though.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

If the games were not so heavily focused on multiplayer, I wouldn't hate on them so much, but being essentially "forced" to pay for a new game each year, plus DLC, to stay current and competitive so you can play with your friends is annoying. It's a brilliant tactic from a business point of a view, but from a customer point of a view it is terrible and completely corrupt.

The best multiplayer games support the community by establishing this pillar around the game, then building the community around it over years. Games like Counterstrike, Team Fortress, Halo, and so forth.

As someone said, CoD is "pop music", it's not good, it's just the game "you have to have" because everyone else has it. You pop it in, it's all you play for a couple months, and then you buy it again in 10 months. Rinse and repeat.

I don't hate it, I can just live without it. I pity people that think it is a good game, though, but I won't get into arguments over it lol. I'm over that shit. CoD is a bargain bin game to me, I buy it in after three years when Activision finally marks it down in price (because they are cheap bastards and they still have ten year old games for 40 dollars on Steam lol)

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

I havn't cared much for cod since they stopped making ww2.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Short answer No.

Long Answer HELL NO.

Call Of Duty is so stale that anyone buying it must love year old bread.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

In some ways, sure. Call of Duty stays the same and people complain. They go into a different direction and people complain. "What's with this future shit? They should go back to doing modern or WWII". And if they did do another modern game, then yeah, "Same old shit".

I gave up on caring about Call of Duty a while back, but the yearly complaining is more annoying than the actual yearly releases of the game.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

I don't think it was just the "COD fan base" but gamers in general. I haven't bought a COD since the excellent MW2 and haven't played one since Black Ops, so I'm certainly not part of the fan base but as a gamer I can see the same old engine, the same old graphical qualities, the same old frame work for game play.

Giving it a futuristic skin doesn't automatically make it "innovative" and unusually for the rather slow gaming market, people are finally catching on. Having said that, it will still sell shit loads and might even be fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58947 Posts

Past hating it, sort of just ignore it..

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Sure, I guess but I think the game looks awesome and I'm very eager to picking it up when it comes out. I still love the setting that they use for the Call of Duty games myself so I really don't mind at all.

I don't know if I will buy it I want to play modern warfare remastered but I'm not happy to fork out 65 quid on both games.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#16 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@davillain- said:

As someone who used to love COD, it just isn't the same anymore.

I blame the change in engine more than anything. Black Ops II was futuristic yet maintained that great gunplay from the older games.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

The hate for COD is mostly a heard mentality "cool to hate" sort of phenomenon. Ignoring it is fine though. They do release them way too often with little effort given much of the time. I really enjoy Blops3 though. I was excited for the new one but the MP streams I watched are leaving me very underwhelmed. It would take a great campaign to get me to buy this one and I'm skeptical.

On the internet, people love to mindlessly pile on to a hate train and that's what happens here. I think it's a problem society needs to find a cure for. Ignoring it makes sense. Liking it is fine. Riding the hate train is a disease.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

People still buy it. Im not even that into the games anymore and I still buy them.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i enjoy the campaigns of the cod games, nothing groundbreaking but feels like a michael bay movie, lots of misogynistic nonsense along with over the top action, takes me back to the summer blockbusters... :D

the mp is fun for about 20 hours as well... :)

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

buying COD games that end with "Warfare" is a bad idea, besides COD 4.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@mark1974:

@mark1974 said:

The hate for COD is mostly a heard mentality "cool to hate" sort of phenomenon. Ignoring it is fine though. They do release them way too often with little effort given much of the time. I really enjoy Blops3 though. I was excited for the new one but the MP streams I watched are leaving me very underwhelmed. It would take a great campaign to get me to buy this one and I'm skeptical.

On the internet, people love to mindlessly pile on to a hate train and that's what happens here. I think it's a problem society needs to find a cure for. Ignoring it makes sense. Liking it is fine. Riding the hate train is a disease.

That's true. It's alright to like an video game that most people don't. I like YouTube, but it's really bad when it comes to video games & Call Of Duty (don't get me started on Infinite Warfare's trailer & how folks went stupid) is the latest example of that. It's the old "let's trash Call Of Duty for it's so cool" type of thing & it's pathetic. I don't mind sci-fi or futuristic setting video games, but not with Call Of Duty. Last three COD games have been terrible to the point of sticking with playing single player & moving on to other games (Dishonored, Titanfall 2, Homefront, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell & etc).