Is The Crew worth it second hand do you think?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

I've just found a very reasonable price (approx' half price) for The Crew.

I wanted to try it since Project Cars is delayed but is it really worth it? The reviews overall are polarising but overall more negative.

What do you think?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

I think The Crew is worth full price also.

But yes if you can get it for half, get it and if you like arcade racing games you will have a ton of fun.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#3 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

If you really want it and your standards can accept its quality, then sure. At the end of the day, it's your money.

I'd personally rather spend my money on a better game.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jacanuk

@illmatic87 said:

If you really want it and your standards can accept its quality, then sure. At the end of the day, it's your money.

And what better open world mp racing game is there out there right now?

And quality? i know Ubisoft have had a few hiccups with Unity and Tetris, but The Crew is actually a pretty smooth experience

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@illmatic87 said:

And what better open world mp racing game is there out there right now?

And quality? i know Ubisoft have had a few hiccups with Unity and Tetris, but The Crew is actually a pretty smooth experience

Original Test Drive Unlimited

Burnout Paradise

NFS Most Wanted 2012

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#6 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

The Crew is good so long as you can accept a few things.

1. You're not a graphics whore like all the reviewers out there are.

2. You're willing to pour hours into the Crew to get anywhere.

3. You realize that the handling of your car before you majorly upgrade it several hundred points will handle like a greased brick

4. You think of the Crew like an RPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#7 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p: Burnout and Need for Speed are both EA who I boycotted a long time ago. I won't touch another EA game for a long time. I was half tempted to go Need for Speed Rivals but I won't give EA money till they sort their sh*t out. I am even cut up by the Dragon Age: Inquisition because I really like RPGs but I won't pay money to EA, so even that I'll buy second hand next year when the price has dropped. Test Drive I would but I'm trying to move next gen now. I have some games on my list for back catalogue on Xbox 360 and PS3 but Test Drive isn't one of them.

@Jacanuk: I don't dislike arcade racers but they can be a little annoying to me sometimes. I've played a LOT of simulators in the form of Forza over the last several years so it can be a bit of a shock. Though, Forza Horizon and Need for Speed have always been fine for me. Grid 1 and 2 are one of the few arcade racers that I literally could not stand because the handling was simply too stupid to put into words. From what I've seen The Crew seems closer to Need for Speed than Grid though so I'll probably give it a go.

@jasonredemption: Hey yeah I'm not a graphics whore at all, I grew up in the PS1 days and still play some good old PS1 games now. Even have my original PS1 plugged into my 42inch LED TV and play it quite often. So no graphics aren't an issue for me. In fact I kind of understand, The Crew is EASILY the biggest racing game to date and possibly the biggest none MMO game ever created. I think it is laughable to expect that sort of scale and graphics like a CGI movie at the same time. Just look at Skyrim it was huge and overall the graphics were a lot lower than the 360/PS3 standard at the time BECAUSE of its size.

Well "pour tonnes of hours to get anywhere" it kind of depends on where I'm going and why. I'm not someone who likes to fast travel in racing games because why the hell wouldn't you want to drive in a racing game? That is the entire point. I get that it takes a good hour to get from one coast to the other. Which means I guess a bit of planning will have to be used and not just me driving from coast to coast aimlessly wasting time.

Handling in games has always been an issue for me. I played a lot of simulation games and when you go from "as precise as technology can provide" to "as functional as arcade racing devs can get away with" it is kind of jarring. That being said games like Need for Speed and Forza Horizon were fine for me. Games like Grid where your car is fishtailing all over the track and it feels like you are turning on tracks like a scalextric car it angers me a LOT. I really hated Grid 1 and 2, like they just infuriated me with how unrealistic the turning was in that game. I did get used to it but after a simulator like Forza 3 and 4 both of which I poured about 100 hours into it was a shock to change.

The odd physics hiccup or some dodgy AI I can probably ignore for the most part. We'll see I'm probably going to go for it and see for myself. Overall the general consensus does seem to be kind of half arsed points like the graphics and some dodgy AI. I think people are overlooking the fun in these games. I'll decide for myself. Besides I really do want a racing game to tide me over till Project Cars comes out.

Thanks for your input.

Avatar image for deactivated-57de36cfc19df
deactivated-57de36cfc19df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 deactivated-57de36cfc19df
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts

Nope. I wouldn't play that garbage if they paid me.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

How much is it a single player game?. how limited is single player?.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jacanuk

@skipper847 said:

How much is it a single player game?. how limited is single player?.

It as much a single player game as you want it to be, just as long as you know its always online since its a mmo.

It´s might be fun though with friends.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I think the crew may not be the most polished game around or the best racing game by any means, but it really does have some interesting concepts and mechanics, so I would definitely go with a half price buy if given the option

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

For half the prize it's definetly worth it, i have been having tons of fun with this game while playing solo and co op, been having some problems while playing pvp with friends and we keep getting disconnected from the same room and that kinda sucked but other than that it's a really awesome game.

dark_rising76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dark_rising76
Member since 2010 • 1300 Posts

It's a decent game but it could have been so much better than what Ubisoft made it out to be. It's fun to drive cross country and and I do like the RPG elements in it but it basically forces you to win races and missions in order for you to progress in the story mode. I found the last two Need for Speed games of having a better overall experience playing than The Crew. I thought about getting it too since it's half off but I can find better games to play that's not so flawed.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Dannystaples14: i liked it, so yeah

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I've sunk 178 hrs in it.

It's not the greatest "race" game, but if you want a nice selection of vehicles to drive around for fun, across the entire nation (albeit a smaller, deformed USA), it's great fun. I play it a lot with my boys as well. Overall, It's a lot of fun, but it's nowhere near a sim if that's what you are after.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

This thread is over 3 months old. Bumping old threads is against the Gamespot Code of Conduct so I will be locking this.