Is South Park: Stick of Truth worth $60?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxchadxxchad
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

So I am a pretty big south park fan, so naturally i want this game. My problem however is that i have been reading around that people are beating the game in 10 hours. It seems like such a short game for 60 bucks, what do you think? Is it worth it or should i wait for a Steam sale? Thanks!

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

20 dollars or less is what its worth and not a cent more. To me at least. And don't worry, it wont take long for it to get there. All of obsidians games hit bottom pretty quickly, and with good reason. Well the console version will, if you want to get it on steam cheap youll have to wait for a sale since their prices are generally MSRP while console versions are half that, or you can buy used copies for a lot less.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I would wait until it hits the bargain bin. While there is a lot to see and do, the game can be completed within thirteen hours or so, which isn't long for an RPG at all.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Rent it if you can from a red box. Not worth it IMO. I did just about everything in 10 hours game time. I'm not a big fan though. There were definitely funny parts and you really do feel like you're playing a season of the show. $20-$30 game

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

$30 or maybe even $40. Anything more is too much.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@xxchadxxchad said:

So I am a pretty big south park fan, so naturally i want this game. My problem however is that i have been reading around that people are beating the game in 10 hours. It seems like such a short game for 60 bucks, what do you think? Is it worth it or should i wait for a Steam sale? Thanks!

You answered your own question in the first few words "Big South Park fan"

If you love south park you wont go wrong with this game and wont regret spending 60$ on 15-20+ hours worth of the south park humour :D

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@f22_king_raptor said:

Its funny some people see 60$ as a lot and for some it is but for most i bet if they took what they spend on junk during a week, a coffee at starbucks, a donut, a pizza or a few beers with the guys/girls and it will be alot more then 60$-

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

As easy as I hear it is even on the hardest difficulty I would wait till it dropped to $40 personally.

Skyz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Skyz_
Member since 2014 • 56 Posts

Even if you were a massive fan I'd say 60 was a bit too much, I'd wait a while.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts

If you're a big South Park fan and like RPGs, you'll get more than ten hours out of this game. The main story isn't all that long, but exploring South Park and doing side quests will take a lot of time to complete.

My only gripe with the game is that it seems to be more focused on fan service than crafting an entirely new narrative. The story's original, but it's all made out of already-created parts. That was the only thing that bummed me out, that it didn't really break any new ground for the narrative.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

I got it for $45 on release, I think the game was worth it, took me 13 hours to beat, but only have 35/50 achievements

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Its like 10-12 hours. I would say it's worth about 30$.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@f22_king_raptor said:

Its funny some people see 60$ as a lot and for some it is but for most i bet if they took what they spend on junk during a week, a coffee at starbucks, a donut, a pizza or a few beers with the guys/girls and it will be alot more then 60$-

Not really a fair comparison. That money is spent on more useful things though. Coffee helps in productivity and weight loss. Socializing with your friends is more important (IMO) than playing videogames by yourself (and south park is a single player experience).

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

@Shmiity said:

What new game isn't nowadays?

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

It is pretty short, and whilst there is alot of content, it only took me 13 hours to do most of everything. However its an excellent fan service game with some nifty gameplay and some incredibly fun RPG elements, overall I'd give it a strong 8. Not sure if its worth $60 though, maybe 40? But I guess if you're a fan you may consider pitching the extra 20.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mesomorphin

@HipHopBeats said:

@Shmiity said:

Try Dark souls 2 and Bravery Default. You may be suprised.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I bought it on day one. Love South Park's sense of humor so it was really no question whether it'd be worth it. So long as it was functional, I was going to get my money's worth out of it for the script alone.

While on the short side for a game called an RPG, ultimately I think it gets the job done well and doesn't overstay it's welcome. Funny from start to finish, cleverly written as anyone who likes South Park would expect, and probably the most stable game Obsidian has ever made.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mesomorphin

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

and probably the most stable game Obsidian has ever made.

Yes True, but does that make it better than New Vegas....errrrgghhh....NOPE! ;)

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@xxchadxxchad said:

If you are a big fan of the show, then the game is worth it, especially if you plan to take time to explore and find all of the hidden content and dialog in the game. I watched a let's play of it, and for fans of the series, this game is the ultimate fan service.

xtrip86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xtrip86
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm currently waiting for the game to drop in price. Not by much but just a little and I will be all over it!

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

Fair enough.

But I could barely play New Vegas having bought it on launch day. Bugs and glitches severely lessened the experience of what should have been my favorite game of that year. Instead it was the most frustrating game of the season because half the time I didn't know if a quest giver would be there when I got back or if my efforts would be in vain as the game bugged out and locked up.

That hasn't happened to me in South Park. Although I did hear a few grumblings around the web of people who had an occasional lockup. But for Obsidian, that's progress. They always make interesting and fun games with great ideas, they just don't always execute as well as you'd hope.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

I had no interest in this game but, a friend that had it insisted I tried

Actually really ended up enjoying it, I beat it recently actually. Despite all its flaws and simplicity its really pretty fun.

I clocked like a solid 11 hours into it I have no intention of ever playing it again

Honestly they're are way stupider things you can buy with $60 it's not the WORST buy

I would range its value somewhere in the $20-40 range

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I think kinda worth 60 dollars if your a big fan, and since its got as much content as an entire season of southpark. But if i were you i'd just wait a few months and it'll be 10-15 at least cheaper.

But that being said, 60 dollars for a season of southpark is a bit high... if you compare it to that it should actually cost around 30-40 dollars in value. I think i played it around 12-13 hours, but i was afk a while so maybe less.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@HipHopBeats said:

@Shmiity said:

A lot actually. Too many to list.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mesomorphin

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@mesomorphin said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

Fair enough.

But I could barely play New Vegas having bought it on launch day. Bugs and glitches severely lessened the experience of what should have been my favorite game of that year. Instead it was the most frustrating game of the season because half the time I didn't know if a quest giver would be there when I got back or if my efforts would be in vain as the game bugged out and locked up.

That hasn't happened to me in South Park. Although I did hear a few grumblings around the web of people who had an occasional lockup. But for Obsidian, that's progress. They always make interesting and fun games with great ideas, they just don't always execute as well as you'd hope.

Same here I bought NV day one aswell, and luckly only experienced a few glitches, nothing game breaking thank god. However its pretty patched up now.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

As the current generation of gamers is finding out, very few (if any) new game is worth paying $60 for. The "overall" declining sales in the market over past couple years indicates this. If you want sources, just search google news "game sales decline".

Parado_xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By Parado_xx
Member since 2011 • 111 Posts

It looks like a really fun game, but I'll probably buy it when it's one sale on Steam. There are, however, probably stupider things you could spend your money on for 60$, especially if you're a big fan of South Park.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Worth it if you plan to play it at least a couple times to experience the different classes. If you only play it once as one class you might be better served paying only 30-40 bucks.

JonnyBigBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JonnyBigBoss
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

It looks really good, but as a non South Park fan I'm waiting for that $40 mark.

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

It's a great game if you like the show, but I'd wait for it to go down in price. Paying $40 or less would be a good deal for this game.