Is Return To Castle Wolfenstein one of the best FPS made?

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

Hello. recently, I started playing this title again. When it launched, it was one of my absolute favorite FPS delivering on both a SP and MP front. Aside from a shitty stealth mission, the AI, the weapons, the campy story, the level design, a game I love very much.

Upon replaying it, my vision wasn't augmented and I did ask for this. Even the visuals remains still fairly nice to look at.

So I ask you fellows, in the great pantheon of FPS, how does Return To Castle Wolfenstein rank?

#2 Edited by sebas_1987 (15 posts) -

While its not the best FPS ever made. Is ONE of the best FPS made for PC. And even with the outdated graphics, its still a lot of fun.

#3 Posted by thelordofpies (570 posts) -

Wolfesntein: The New Order took it's place my god is that game great.

#4 Edited by Behardy24 (4634 posts) -

The mutiplayer is still pretty popular nowadays.

#5 Posted by Behardy24 (4634 posts) -

I have the game on the PlayStation 2. I liked it a lot. Can't give my full opinions on whether it's the best FPS of all time though. Still figuring that one out for myself.

#6 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

The game was one of the best when it came out. It's still a great game. Combining sci-fi/futuristic enemies and weapons with a military shooter worked well. And it had good level design. However, I believe that virtually every game becomes bested and hence outdated at some point. Technology will only lead to the possibility for better and better gameplay. Story is another thing.

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

Not sure I agree. While technology and production values become better, FPS games tend to forget about the gameplay and deliberately design themselves to be an interactive movie to appeal to the widest audience possible. Most FPS these days are complete shit imo.

RTCW delivered on both a single player and multiplayer standpoint, while titles these days bang out a barely interactive walk in a line 4-5 SP and a multiplayer more interesting in throwing peanuts at the player with unlocks and XP like an MMO rather than a shooter.

When a genuinely great shooter comes that impresses me like Shadow Warrior, it seems to basically gets ripped apart for being "repetitive" when the entire point is to allow the player to his or her own devices and be creative within the context of the gameplay.

#8 Edited by wiouds (5257 posts) -

It is a good game but the level design need to be worked on. Too many tunnel level. I just can not put it higher than a number of CoD games that are out.

#9 Posted by marcheegsr (2841 posts) -

I loved it but I think Quake 3 team arena and Unreal tournament is better.

#10 Edited by iwilson1296 (2214 posts) -

it's one of my favorites along with avp2.

#11 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

I have always enjoyed it quite a bit.

#12 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13681 posts) -

Its Strange how people can look back on their old favourite games and then go bit shit crazy against modern games with fewer flaws.

#13 Edited by Heirren (17358 posts) -

Ever? I don't know but it really makes cod and battlefield look like shit, and shows how underrated/appreciated Rage is/was. The focus of these games was the pure shooting mechanics and they exceed in spades.

#14 Posted by SovietsUnited (2316 posts) -

It is, IMHO. Awesome multiplayer along with a moody, atmospheric campaign. Great gunplay as well

#15 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

@Heirren said:

Ever? I don't know but it really makes cod and battlefield look like shit, and shows how underrated/appreciated Rage is/was. The focus of these games was the pure shooting mechanics and they exceed in spades.

Hey another Rage fan! Welcome to the incredibly small club.

#16 Posted by Heirren (17358 posts) -

@firefox59 said:

@Heirren said:

Ever? I don't know but it really makes cod and battlefield look like shit, and shows how underrated/appreciated Rage is/was. The focus of these games was the pure shooting mechanics and they exceed in spades.

Hey another Rage fan! Welcome to the incredibly small club.

I still haven't finished it. I don't remember what stopped me from playing it. I believe I started Twilight Princess and couldn't put it down...and then I think Uncharted 3 came out. Anyways, the game has that "this feels right" to the movement, aiming, etc. It feels tight. Most shooters lack this. People were so bogged down thinking about visuals this or whatever, but it is the gameplay that makes the game. I just sunk a lot of time in MK8; I was going to play one or two cups and i'm about to go back to it an hour or so later.

There needs to be more adrenaline shooters. COD and Battlefield are just fucking jokes of games. A solo campaign that just doesn't stop and has some tempo to it. I don't understand why games have gotten so mute in this regard. I just watched this video on Goldeneye64 (Casually Hardcore, great channel btw...no not mine) and games truly have taken that illusion of freedom away. It baffles me that Goldeneye is a more complex game than COD.

#17 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

For me it might be the BEST FPS game ever made....but MIGHT be.

#18 Edited by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Its Strange how people can look back on their old favourite games and then go bit shit crazy against modern games with fewer flaws.

It's strange how this post has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13681 posts) -

@uninspiredcup

Its not strange at all you knew damn well thats this was coming.... :)

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

I forgive you. It's what the Jesus would do.

#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13681 posts) -

@uninspiredcup

Are you comparing yourself to Jesus ? LOL !

#22 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

I stood on a tac pin last week, that's technically stigmata.

#23 Posted by gajbutler (157 posts) -

The MP was amazing

#24 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13681 posts) -

@uninspiredcup

I have no idea what a Tac Pin is ?

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@uninspiredcup

I have no idea what a Tac Pin is ?

I dono, why are you asking me? Do you?

#26 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@firefox59 said:

@Heirren said:

Ever? I don't know but it really makes cod and battlefield look like shit, and shows how underrated/appreciated Rage is/was. The focus of these games was the pure shooting mechanics and they exceed in spades.

Hey another Rage fan! Welcome to the incredibly small club.

I still haven't finished it. I don't remember what stopped me from playing it. I believe I started Twilight Princess and couldn't put it down...and then I think Uncharted 3 came out. Anyways, the game has that "this feels right" to the movement, aiming, etc. It feels tight. Most shooters lack this. People were so bogged down thinking about visuals this or whatever, but it is the gameplay that makes the game. I just sunk a lot of time in MK8; I was going to play one or two cups and i'm about to go back to it an hour or so later.

There needs to be more adrenaline shooters. COD and Battlefield are just fucking jokes of games. A solo campaign that just doesn't stop and has some tempo to it. I don't understand why games have gotten so mute in this regard. I just watched this video on Goldeneye64 (Casually Hardcore, great channel btw...no not mine) and games truly have taken that illusion of freedom away. It baffles me that Goldeneye is a more complex game than COD.

Well, to start I'll say I loved the game, but you hit on a couple of the key points that make it unique. An FPS that takes 20 hours to beat if you do everything? That's so rare these days. I can't think of another FPS that gives you so much content. The movement and aiming took a few minutes to get used to but it does take on an interesting feel that let's you know you're playing Rage. Most games don't do that. It's one of those games where I just can't understand why so many people didn't like it. I love the games like Bioshock and the new Wolfenstein game where you have this arsenal of weapons and gadgets and you can choose how to attack each enemy/situation.

I just hope they end up making the planned sequel that was shelved due to poor sales.

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

If you are looking for adrenaline shooters. I'd highly recommend Shadow Warrior, Hard Reset and to the lesser extent, Painkiller: H&D (which is basically a painkiller remake with less content).

#28 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (826 posts) -

No, it is one of the worst.

/thread

#29 Posted by speedfog (3229 posts) -

The game was and still is awesome, I still play the multiplayer once a while. The community is also great.

I played the single player more then 15 times if i'm right. I was never bored of it.