TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

Not too long ago, due to needing the money, I sold my N64 and a good slice of my collection (mostly third party titles I knew I could buy back). Recently, I've been craving to get back into my n64 games, but damn, are some of the prices ridiculous. I bought my N64 for maybe 30 bucks, and now I'm seeing prices for twice- three times that! And I've been wanting to start a SNES collection, but my god, it's even worse for the Super Nintendo.

I understand why these prices are high, especially with relatively high demand, I was just wondering if any of you guys thought it was ridiculous and what are the craziest prices you've seen people try to sell something for?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

It is crazy. Which is why I don't get the completionist collectors who have to own every piece of merchandise related to their collection. I respect and admire them, but I don't get why anyone would put a mortgage on his house to buy a $100.000 Nintendo World Championship gold cart.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Why don't you just get a PC ?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Emulators are a good way to get retro games, but nothing beats the feeling of actually owning a physical copy of an old nostalgic game. And yes, they are getting more expensive because gamers have put a larger value on older games in recent years.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

I think you're better off just buying HD remakes and collections of retro games.

AGeekyLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AGeekyLink
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

It's a good thing if you own those platforms.

There's money to be made.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@TheManofTin said:

Not too long ago, due to needing the money, I sold my N64 and a good slice of my collection (mostly third party titles I knew I could buy back). Recently, I've been craving to get back into my n64 games, but damn, are some of the prices ridiculous. I bought my N64 for maybe 30 bucks, and now I'm seeing prices for twice- three times that! And I've been wanting to start a SNES collection, but my god, it's even worse for the Super Nintendo.

I understand why these prices are high, especially with relatively high demand, I was just wondering if any of you guys thought it was ridiculous and what are the craziest prices you've seen people try to sell something for?

The older something gets and the rare a item becomes always gets the price to shoot up, since its all a question of supply and demand.

So now is a good time to start collecting the older games and consoles before they get up there and you have to pay a lot for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

It would be for me, as I only want to purchase Japanese imports that are factory sealed. I would not even be able to get the hardware new or if I could, it be expensive for sure. Then either I get the hardware used or brand new; if the hardware breaks, I won't not be able to get it fixed by the company.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Yeah, it's annoying. People keep saying the prices will go back down, but they're still going up, especially for SNES and Saturn games. You know things are getting out of hand when Mega Man games start going for almost $200.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#10 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: I just like the authenticity of playing the real thing on the actual console. But for some reason, this only seems to apply mostly to Nintendo games. Sega games, I'll usually just by in an HD Collection.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@TheManofTin

Hmmmm.... I guess I'm not that kind of guy.... Played that old Wrestlemania game on an Emulator and it felt just like the way it did back when I played it on the Sega....

Luka024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Luka024
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

My suggestion is to scour Craigslist, thrift stores, garage sales and pawn shops locally. Ebay isn't an option anymore for most things. I've collected mainly hardware so far, as I have just recently decided to collect. I bought an original Game Boy off of eBay last week for $7 with 5 games. It works perfect and has one small scratch in the corner of the screen. Some local finds were an N64 with Smash Brothers in the original box and two controllers for $35. A Genesis in it's box, two controllers and Tecmo Super Bowl 3 for $20. Original Xbox with two controllers and 17 games for $40. A Gamecube, 5 games and two controllers for free.

XOne_ShotX91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 XOne_ShotX91
Member since 2014 • 152 Posts

A buddy of mine just bought Conkers on N64 a few months back for just under $70.

While I would love to play some of these games from my childhood again, I'm not going to pay that much just for a game that I'd play through once and be done with it. Nope. I think the most Ive ever spent on an older title was $20 for Metal Gear Solid (Hard Copy) on the original Playstation. Any more than that and I dont bother. I did pick up Dino Crisis for $6. One of the best $6 Ive ever spent.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

That's why I'm starting to get in Retro Collection so that I collect as many games as possible before the prices get any higher.