Is pc gaming worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Celtic_34 (1409 posts) -

deciding whether or not to get a nice graphcis card for my i5 or get a ps4 this morning... consoles have exclusives. i can just put a game in and plug in my controller and i'm good to go. Even if i get a top of the line graphics card right now looking at the nvidia 660 and 7870 for around $200 it's basically what the ps4 has in it. I have a haswell 4430 latest generation i5. Just need to upgrade the graphics. So it's either that or $400 for a ps4. PC has steam, some games that aren't on consoles as well... But overall the popular games seem to trend to the consoles and be optimized for them where i'm having to fuss around a bit with the pc.

What should i do? I can't decide. Having both is kind of overkill. i used to game mainly on pc but switched to consoles this last gen. The 360 and ps3 were nice but definately felt the difference as far as framerates adn sharp graphics.... The p4 and newest consoles are supposed to correct all that though.

#2 Edited by Motokid6 (6147 posts) -

Does your motherboard have a pci-e slot? And is there room inside for a larger card? Is your power supply large enough* These are questions you need to ask yourself if you havent already.

As for the games.. its a matter if opinion. You say popular games. Well i personally think mainstream games are stale. The only reason i buy consoles are for Bungie's games. The rest can take a hike. Im more of an rts, sim, builder, mmo, rpg, horror kinda jinda guy. Pc has it all for me. I can do bigger and badder things with my video games.

And then the other half if the hobby. ( my favorite ) the itself. Building and maintaining it is part of the hibby and i find it most enjoyable. If thats not your thing.. then yea get a console.

#3 Posted by Motokid6 (6147 posts) -

Ma hibby.. oh i lol at my spelling mistakes. Doing this on a phone is murder. Edit doesnt work and i can scroll.. yay new GS.

#4 Edited by Celtic_34 (1409 posts) -

yeah my pc is good to go... I've researched everything to the max dude and am pretty much at the point of just making a decision. It's between a geforce 660 or a ps4 i think. I just can't decide. I agree that console and mainstream gaming is kind of bleh but i do love my nba 2k and mlb the show.... Also like uncharted and some of the ps3 exclusives. Could care less about halo or gears. I did enjoy infamous and uncharted though this last gen...... last of us and quantic dreams games also fairly decent good tooo. Also like rockstar games which come out first on consoles.......

thats mainly what i played this last gen were those games and bethesda games like fallout, skyrim etc.... stuck with civ revolution as far as strategy games this past gen and it was fun btu i hear what you are saying about pc games. id rather be playing starcraft, civization etc.... i'm also a fan of adventure games....

i think my taste in games trend more towards consoles because that's where the sports games are and open world games from rockstar and why i went to consoles in the first place and didnt look back but have this nice pc here and seems kind of a waste without putting a nice graphics card in it.

#5 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6724 posts) -

Depends.

to make one correction, you will not "just" put in a game and play anymore, last gen killed that trend off completely.

But consoles are streamlined, easy to use and as for the PS4 it is atleast competent as a media hub for the tv out of the box, with minor hazzle.

The negatives are that you give up all kinds of freedom and WILL pay a lot more for console games, even through online for the most part.

The lack of freedom for a consumer follows hand in hand with ease of use. If it is a negative or not is up to each person.

The consoles also do have some major exclusives (from the console creater more or less, not alot of them, but enough to make you consider).

The PC is the direct opposite, games are vastly cheaper. It allows user input in whatever way you want. Mostly hazzle free, but due to said freedom some trainwrecks may occur. It also has its exclusives, but they are rarely in the same ballpark in Money spent as console exclusives (not talking quality here, given that both have hits and misses).

If you prefer the freedom to add mods, alter the game, and play with the input you prefer, then the PC is better. You would give up on the console exclusives ofcourse, and while it takes some tinkering and the pc CAN be used as a media hub, most people does nto do that. (Must say though that my pc and tv communicates just fine through Wireless, they are not even needed to be in the same room).

Where the PC gets points detracted, is how responsible you as a user have to be, consoles are time consuming with slow updates which are much too frequent (almost as frequent as the pc). but they are all Automatic, on PC it is not always the case, and each user needs to maintain his/hers pc for the optimal enjoyment, to some this is too daunting, and complex, and in that case the pc will be of Little worth.

#6 Posted by LeftClick007 (77 posts) -

I would say PC upgrade, Ive owned an x360, a ps3, and pc together at one point, the consoles I've sold over the last year, i played what i wanted to on the consoles and then went back to pc. Ive always had a decent gaming pc and usually upgrade parts every 2-3 years around Black Friday but I chose not to this year. Im just gonna do an entire new build this spring, which another person already stated, is a lot of the fun of pc gamin, very much like tuning and maintaining a car. It eventually becomes a hobby if you enjoy it. If you don't see yourself enjoying that, then I say get the ps4. I was thinking about getting a ps4 much like you, but im just gonna wait, No backwards compatability and current lack of a library that interests me is why. And my gaming pc is also my media center, i have my movies, shows, and music on it and use a microsoft wmc remote control to browse through it or sometimes use my phone to navigate. If Steam added a media player/library manager Id happily use that.

#7 Edited by Celtic_34 (1409 posts) -

the thing is i have ps3 and xbox 360. im kind of regretting getting the ps3. i really liked it but i got it 6 months ago end of gen and thinking i should have just waited for the ps4... then id just get both and be done. too many consoles and gaming stuff and its overkill. I still game but i'm older and last gen i had a pc i used just for basic tasks and my 360 for gaming. picked up this ps3 late because i wanted to play the show and uncharted and some of the ps3 exclusives. it was worth it with psn plus for the last 6 months, but too much now.......

i have the receipt for my ps3.. i got it at target. have everything that comes with it. their return policy in 90 days. i wonder if i lose the receipt if they will give me store credit for when the ps4 comes in.

#8 Edited by ConorHat (141 posts) -

If you play popular games stick to consoles. PC are meant for competitive gamers who have a lot of skill.

#9 Posted by MaxMipan256 (23 posts) -

I play games since I was 2 years old and I'd say definitely pc but I am buying dualshock 3 to play on pc as on ps + I got a hdmi cable and I am able to connect both my phone and my pc to tv and with the joystick it gets better than ps if ur able to download games like I do. I know it's not right but I buy games which I really like to support the developers. Still u can do much more on pc and everything is much cheaper.

#10 Posted by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

I'll stop you right there

Massive Selection of Games, Mods, Free Games, Better Graphics, Competitive Multiplayer, having a REAL media device, more precise controls, and unlimited possibilities

PC gaming is always worth it

I'll be on my way now, tip of the hat to you sir

#11 Posted by JML897 (33131 posts) -

@conorhat said:

If you play popular games stick to consoles. PC are meant for competitive gamers who have a lot of skill.

Not necessarily. I wouldn't consider myself a "skilled gamer" by any means but I still love pc gaming because it's convenient and you can get games for really cheap thanks to Steam, Amazon, GOG, etc.

With there being less and less console exclusives with each generation, I'm seriously considering sticking with PC gaming only for this next gen of consoles.

#12 Edited by Celtic_34 (1409 posts) -

well i was in best buy just now and they had 3 ps4's left from a morning shipment that people had put a hold on they didn't come back for and i was 3rd in line. Hate me now but i couldn't pass it up. Still may upgrade my graphics card but too hard to pass up when the ps4 was there. I'm really regretting buying the ps3 6 months ago. It's a nice system and all but this is overkill.

The xbox one was again readily available........ I just want a pc and a ps4 this gen i think, but too much crap. Maybe i'll sell my ps3 or something. I have the box and everything and it's the super slim. It's just past the 90 day return policy. kind of sucks.

#13 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

It's all a matter of genre selection. PCs and consoles aren't competing because they each have their own distinct set of genres they specialize in. This is why I've never jumped wholeheartedly into PC gaming. (My particular case may change in the coming years since we're finally starting to see an English-language JRPG movement kick off on PCs, but it has a long way to go before it'll be a legitimate threat to my console gaming.)

#14 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Oh it's been said already...anyways, yeah it's worth it.

#15 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Let me just grab my The Dark Knight collectible Harvey "Two-Face" Dent double headed coin...

It was tails... Stick with STEAM

#16 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

It isn't worth it really. Most of the games that would require a bigger graphics card like battlefield, call of duty, assasins creed, watchdogs, the division, thief, elder scrolls online and such will also be on the ps4. So like 98% of the big blockbuster games will be on the ps4 as well as a ton of console exclusive games and ps4 exclusive games.

The vast majority of PC exclusive games that are actually good can run on a minimal machine really. There aren't a large amount of PC exclusives that require more hardware on your part, and the few that do half of them will be on consoles also, 1/4 of them aren't good games, and the other 1/4 will be worth playing.

Besides the nice thing about a ps4 is unlike the PC you wont ever have to worry about upgrading it for the next decade.

And this is coming from a guy who has a PC that is in the top 5% of steam hardware surveys. I feel I wasted money on my last upgrade because most of the games I play don't really require it.

#17 Edited by khatibi22 (7221 posts) -

I am a solely PC gamer myself but it has become some sort of fanatism. I have missed some real good games which were either available for consoles only or my PC was too weak to play them on times.

#19 Edited by valium88 (4455 posts) -

If you want a new GPU I wouldn't recommend you any less than a GTX 780 or a 290x. You cannot measure performance in a PC based on what the PS4 has in it. The games on console are handtailored for that specific system, which is not the same as your personal computer. I have a GTX 780 OC and is very happy with it, looks a tint sharper than on the PS4 at 1080p. A 600 series or an AMD equalient is a bad investment imo, same with any of the 700 series that ain't implemented with the GK110, everything else is GK104 which is a OC 600 series card with a fresh boxing. So be prepared to pay the price of a console to get a GPU that can truly handle new gen.

#20 Posted by moix123 (71 posts) -

PC gaming is the best if you dont have budget issue. But it always passes $1500+ for a decent gaming machine.

If you dont have that budget, go for gaming consoles

#21 Posted by osan0 (12915 posts) -

@Celtic_34: PC gaming is always worth it. best platform to play games on imho.

but consoles are also great.

are many of the games you want multiplat or are they console exclusive? is there anything coming up soon on either platform that you want to play? do you have some PC games that just play badly on your current setup but that you want to play?

its a tricky one.

on the one hand i would be tempted to get a PS4 now and maybe stick in a new GPU into the PC next year instead. i could get a better GPU for the same money.

on the other hand the PS4 just launched and its launch lineup is not great (all 3 consoles have had an average to terrible launch games wise this gen). i would also be tempted to wait for the first revision of both the X1 and PS4 before buying. by then there will be a better selection of games and any problems with the launch models should be sorted (though in fairness this gen there doesnt seem to be anything seriously wrong with either console).

at the end of the day though it all comes down to games. no point in getting a PS4 now if there isnt much of interest games wise. same with the PC.

#22 Posted by Darkeroid2212 (293 posts) -

If you are choosing between a PS4 and a GPU, get the R9 290 or the GTX 770. You can handle anything at 45(770) or 55(R9) FPS with all eye candy features on.

#23 Edited by Kenocratic (107 posts) -

Well with gaming on a 1440 res 27" monitor on my i7 pc with a Radeon 7950 the visuals have ticked up noticeably in quality. Especially in Crysis 3. So I'll hang onto pc gaming for a while because of the looks. I had to get a Xbox 360 though when GTA V came out about 3 months ago. Had to explore the southern California world they created.

The graphics in GTA V aren't as sharp as games on my 27" screen but it looks beautiful overall. I'm playing it on a native 720p led lcd tv so that helps a lot with the appearance of the game since GTA V is also in 720 res. That is there's no upscaling to 1080 res to worry about which can make the image less clear.

#24 Edited by tompkins5 (14 posts) -

@moix123 said:

PC gaming is the best if you dont have budget issue. But it always passes $1500+ for a decent gaming machine.

Although I believe if one were to custom build a PC it could be somewhat lower than $1500 (like around 1200 moneys, and every buck counts! I'm cheap.), but that's very hard to find and kinda pushing it. All-in-all, if you can't afford 1200-1800$ to put into a pc, it'd be wise to just go with the next gen consoles. Besides, with games like ESO coming out on console, other MMOs are soon to come... Which I feel that there are a good bit of PC gamers that chose PC over consoles because of the option of playing MMO's. This is actually why I might be switching to consoles here soon. If you plan on buying a S#&T ton of new games for the consoles, it may be worth it to go PC with all the great deals available on Steam, Amazon, Etc. because in the end, buying like 20+ 60$ games add up.... whereas buying the discounted games on steam saves a bit more (if it's new games you won't save much, but it's still something). That's kinda far fetched though haha... Just thought I'd add that since so many people do buy so many games... exponentially it will add up further than the PC... After the ramble, I'd say if you don't plan on buying a ton of games it'll be far cheaper to go with consoles. lolz

#25 Posted by wiouds (5399 posts) -

The only good reason to get a PC is for modding. Else there not much that make it stand out without some downside to it.

#26 Edited by 04dcarraher (20248 posts) -
@wiouds said:

The only good reason to get a PC is for modding. Else there not much that make it stand out without some downside to it.

lol, mods thats it ? what about Massive Selection of Games past present and future, Mods, Free Games, Better Graphics, Competitive Multiplayer, having a REAL media options, more control options, and a true all in one system.

Also what is all this pc nonsense claims needing a 1K+. You can build a for $650 right now that surpasses the PS4 plus comes with BF4.....

TC if you know that PSU and case can handle a those gpu's its a better choice to go with a gpu like the GTX 760 for around $250. Much faster then the 7870 and 660

#27 Posted by moix123 (71 posts) -

@tompkins5 said:

@moix123 said:

Although I believe if one were to custom build a PC it could be somewhat lower than $1500 (like around 1200 moneys, and every buck counts! I'm cheap.), but that's very hard to find and kinda pushing it. All-in-all, if you can't afford 1200-1800$ to put into a pc, it'd be wise to just go with the next gen consoles. Besides, with games like ESO coming out on console, other MMOs are soon to come... Which I feel that there are a good bit of PC gamers that chose PC over consoles because of the option of playing MMO's. This is actually why I might be switching to consoles here soon. If you plan on buying a S#&T ton of new games for the consoles, it may be worth it to go PC with all the great deals available on Steam, Amazon, Etc. because in the end, buying like 20+ 60$ games add up.... whereas buying the discounted games on steam saves a bit more (if it's new games you won't save much, but it's still something). That's kinda far fetched though haha... Just thought I'd add that since so many people do buy so many games... exponentially it will add up further than the PC... After the ramble, I'd say if you don't plan on buying a ton of games it'll be far cheaper to go with consoles. lolz

yes, you will get a good machine within $1500 is but my point is, i will not be upgrading my pc after every year to play an upcoming game, so I would prefer to get a machine that will work for like 3 years + (at least )

So in that case i will go a console aswell.

#28 Posted by tompkins5 (14 posts) -

@moix123 said:

@tompkins5 said:

@moix123 said:

yes, you will get a good machine within $1500 is but my point is, i will not be upgrading my pc after every year to play an upcoming game, so I would prefer to get a machine that will work for like 3 years + (at least )

So in that case i will go a console aswell.

yeah, but its not like they make a huge leap each year from graphics cards. upgrading doesnt have to be every year. consoles break and require you to put more cash into those as well... just sayin

#29 Posted by moix123 (71 posts) -

i Agree to that point aswell.

But for PC start up cost is a bit high. that is just my personal opinion

#30 Edited by Heirren (18447 posts) -

I don't think it is worth it for games, alone. However, if one is in need of a new computer and/or does a lot of media-based work, it makes a lot of sense to spend the extra cash for the horsepower.

#31 Edited by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

Definitely worth it. It just your preferences in games MOBAs, MMORPGS and RTS' are all reign free on the PC. And also factor in if you prefer a mouse or a controller. PC gaming is completely worth it with all the free games and promotions.

#32 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

Why are people still posting "advice" ITT? The OP impulse-bought a PS4 at post 12 and won't be upgrading. I swear you people are way too in love with your preconceived opinions. You read the thread title and just copy-paste whatever generalities you always post in these threads. Which is why these threads are always garbage.

The only relevant advice ITT: OP said he wants to play adventure and strategy games, but he already bought a PS4 and won't upgrade his PC. Luckily for him the vast majority of games from those two genres will play just fine on an i5 e-machine. He might have to be careful with the system requirements, but really there are only a handful of relevant games that he won't be able to play, at least for the next couple of years. So OP, have fun with your PS4, and get your adventure and strategy fix on your current PC. Easy game.

#33 Posted by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

@ReddestSkies said:

Why are people still posting "advice" ITT? The OP impulse-bought a PS4 at post 12 and won't be upgrading. I swear you people are way too in love with your preconceived opinions. You read the thread title and just copy-paste whatever generalities you always post in these threads. Which is why these threads are always garbage.

Yet here you are. Just because he already decided what he was doing doesn't mean the topic of "Is PC gaming worth it" is dead. This is an easily ongoing subject matter on consoles vs. PCs so chill out.

#34 Posted by cooolio (526 posts) -

@Motokid6: You make it sound like bungie has being making a lot of games for consoles recently.

#35 Posted by yngsten (256 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:
@wiouds said:

lol, mods thats it ? what about Massive Selection of Games past present and future, Mods, Free Games, Better Graphics, Competitive Multiplayer, having a REAL media options, more control options, and a true all in one system.

Also what is all this pc nonsense claims needing a 1K+. You can build a for $650 right now that surpasses the PS4 plus comes with BF4.....

TC if you know that PSU and case can handle a those gpu's its a better choice to go with a gpu like the GTX 760 for around $250. Much faster then the 7870 and 660

I agree with your argumentation, but there is no way you can build a PC that can compete in performance with the new generation consoles for $650 that is just BS, you'll get a future-proof GPU and a candybar for that amount.

#36 Edited by 04dcarraher (20248 posts) -

@yngsten said:

@04dcarraher said:
@wiouds said:

I agree with your argumentation, but there is no way you can build a PC that can compete in performance with the new generation consoles for $650 that is just BS, you'll get a future-proof GPU and a candybar for that amount.

Yes you can build a pc for $650 that competes and outperforms with those consoles.....

AMD FX 4300 3.8 ghz.

MSI AM3+ 970 mobo

Gigabyte GTX 760 with two free games.

8gb DDR3

1tb hdd

DVD burner

Rosewill blackbone case

CM EPP 550w psu

All for $660 without rebates and promo codes, with them $630

And you could go a different route with an AMD FX 6300 cpu and AMD R270x saving even money and gaining a faster cpu with still a faster gpu then those consoles.

It seems you dont know that the X1 is the weakest system with a gpu comparable to a GTX 560ti performance gigapixel and texel rates. number wise and then the PS4 is rocking a gpu that's slower then a 7870 but slightly faster then a 7850. Then their cpu's with all eight cores are slower then 2009+ based quad core cpu's that are above 2.6 ghz. however those console cpu's only are allowed to use six cores for games which brings their abilities down even further.

#37 Posted by yngsten (256 posts) -
@04dcarraher said:

@yngsten said:

@04dcarraher said:
@wiouds said:

Yes you can build a pc for $650 that competes and outperforms with those consoles.....

AMD FX 4300 3.8 ghz.

MSI AM3+ 970 mobo

8gb DDR3

1tb hdd

DVD burner

Rosewill blackbone case

CM EPP 550w psu

And you could go a different route with an AMD FX 6300 cpu and AMD R270x saving even money and gaining a faster cpu with still a faster gpu then those consoles.

It seems you dont know that the X1 is the weakest system with a gpu comparable to a GTX 560ti performance gigapixel and texel rates. number wise and then the PS4 is rocking a gpu that's slower then a 7870 but slightly faster then a 7850. Then their cpu's with all eight cores are slower then 2009+ based quad core cpu's that are above 2.6 ghz. however those console cpu's only are allowed to use six cores for games which brings their abilities down even further.

You are doing the fault many others do by comparing the hardware alone. If developers hand tailored a game to those specs like they do consoles you would no doubt be correct, but that is not the case. So next year when that 760 which in reality is a 600 series GK104 is too old, the PS4 with it's 7850 or whatever will piss on it. AC Black Flag looks almost as great on PS4 as my PC with a 2600k 4.0 Ghz and a GTX 780 DCIIOC, and they haven't even started to harvest the potential in either the PS4 or the XONE yet. So no, you are wrong.

#38 Edited by 04dcarraher (20248 posts) -

@yngsten said:
@04dcarraher said:

@yngsten said:

@04dcarraher said:
@wiouds said:

AMD FX 4300 3.8 ghz.

MSI AM3+ 970 mobo

8gb DDR3

1tb hdd

DVD burner

Rosewill blackbone case

CM EPP 550w psu

You are doing the fault many others do by comparing the hardware alone. If developers hand tailored a game to those specs like they do consoles you would no doubt be correct, but that is not the case. So next year when that 760 which in reality is a 600 series GK104 is too old, the PS4 with it's 7850 or whatever will piss on it. AC Black Flag looks almost as great on PS4 as my PC with a 2600k 4.0 Ghz and a GTX 780 DCIIOC, and they haven't even started to harvest the potential in either the PS4 or the XONE yet. So no, you are wrong.

You have no idea what your taking about..... These consoles are already being tapped out in many aspects, These consoles are not powerhouses, nor have designs that arevastly different from pc's and they are based on x86. You can not expect them to squeeze more processing power of them of from nothing. This gen is nothing like last gen nor earlier gens when the software took years to utilize the hardware's abilities. Its not the PS3 where they tapped into the unused SPE's to augment the RSX.

Your AC4 example is dumb since that game is cross generational and is still based on 360/PS3 limits. BF4 MP is its own thing on Pc/PS4/X1 vs the 360/PS3 version, and those new consoles cant even play BF4 at 1080, with steady solid 60 fps and cant even run the game on full high settings and have to use a slew of medium/high and few ultra settings.

You can not shrug off the fact that the PS4 gpu is only able to operate at 1.8 TFLOP and has a giga pixel rate of around 27 and texel rate of 57. While a R270x which is a $190-210 card can do 32 pixel and 80 texel rate. that operates at 2.5 TFLOP. While a GTX 760 with 1.2 ghz boost can do 38 pixel and 115 texel rates.

As long as your goal is 1080 and have a modern quad core cpu pc's with those gpu's they will perform better then their console counterparts.

#39 Posted by darkmoney52 (4310 posts) -

I recently switched myself. Some of the graphical and performance perks I haven't found to be a big game changer, and the idea of cheaper games hasn't played out quite so well for me (Usually I want games when they're first out, and then I also end up dropping money on games that are on sale which I play about half of).

But, what I do appreciate is the support for a lot of the more niche genres that get ignored on console. Personally I've really gotten into medieval online combat games lately, starting with Chivalry and then moving on to War of The Vikings, not the kind of thing you see on console. I'm also very into RPGs and Roguelikes, both of which get better support on PC, and I found playing modded Skyrim to be a hobby in and of itself.

So yeah, just depends on what you're into, but I wouldn't get too excited over the graphics and performance personally.

#40 Posted by yngsten (256 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@yngsten said:
@04dcarraher said:

@yngsten said:

@04dcarraher said:
@wiouds said:

AMD FX 4300 3.8 ghz.

MSI AM3+ 970 mobo

8gb DDR3

1tb hdd

DVD burner

Rosewill blackbone case

CM EPP 550w psu

You have no idea what your taking about..... These consoles are already being tapped out in many aspects, These consoles are not powerhouses, nor have designs that arevastly different from pc's and they are based on x86. You can not expect them to squeeze more processing power of them of from nothing. This gen is nothing like last gen nor earlier gens when the software took years to utilize the hardware's abilities. Its not the PS3 where they tapped into the unused SPE's to augment the RSX.

Your AC4 example is dumb since that game is cross generational and is still based on 360/PS3 limits. BF4 MP is its own thing on Pc/PS4/X1 vs the 360/PS3 version, and those new consoles cant even play BF4 at 1080, with steady solid 60 fps and cant even run the game on full high settings and have to use a slew of medium/high and few ultra settings.

You can not shrug off the fact that the PS4 gpu is only able to operate at 1.8 TFLOP and has a giga pixel rate of around 27 and texel rate of 57. While a R270x which is a $190-210 card can do 32 pixel and 80 texel rate. that operates at 2.5 TFLOP. While a GTX 760 with 1.2 ghz boost can do 38 pixel and 115 texel rates.

As long as your goal is 1080 and have a modern quad core cpu pc's with those gpu's they will perform better then their console counterparts.

Really? A PC controls the movement textures/shaders/vertices from the main CPU memory to the memory of the GPU. So unless developers get direct control of the GPU in the near future, PC hardware will not be as optimized as on the PS4/XONE where there is no "layer" between the game and the actual hardware. This is why PC specs needs to be much higher than it's console counter-parts.

#41 Posted by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

AMD FX 4300 3.8 ghz.

MSI AM3+ 970 mobo

8gb DDR3

1tb hdd

DVD burner

Rosewill blackbone case

CM EPP 550w psu

Who would build that PoS though? Not to mention you are forgetting the monitor(s), speaker(s), mouse, keyboard, the OS, etc. I'm also failing to see all that for $660 granted I've done quite a bit of spec shopping lately.

#42 Edited by yngsten (256 posts) -

@bowchicka07 said:

AMD FX 4300 3.8 ghz.

MSI AM3+ 970 mobo

8gb DDR3

1tb hdd

DVD burner

Rosewill blackbone case

CM EPP 550w psu

Who would build that PoS though? Not to mention you are forgetting the monitor(s), speaker(s), mouse, keyboard, the OS, etc. I'm also failing to see all that for $660 granted I've done quite a bit of spec shopping lately.

Excactly, and I also want to see how well that hardware perform on next years titles like The Witcher 3 just to name a demanding one, my guess is medium maybe high even on 1080p if people aren't picky on the framerate. a GTX 780 or AMD equalient is a must if people wanna match the new consoles imo, and that will eat up that budget alone.

#43 Edited by 04dcarraher (20248 posts) -

@yngsten said:

Really? A PC controls the movement textures/shaders/vertices from the main CPU memory to the memory of the GPU. So unless developers get direct control of the GPU in the near future, PC hardware will not be as optimized as on the PS4/XONE where there is no "layer" between the game and the actual hardware. This is why PC specs needs to be much higher than it's console counter-parts.

Ever heard of AMD's mantle and Nvidia's modified opengl layer that bypass's direct x to get closer on the hardware layer.... even still developers using direct x still has control on what the gpu does, it just takes more cpu cycles to process the commands. Which does not matter with modern cpu's. It only matters if your limited on resources.

Also you should realize that the unified memory on both consoles are not going to gain special abilities to allow them to bypass their cpu and gpu limits. On the PS4 the cpu portion of the APU only has two shared lanes of 10gb/s direct line to the gpu. And the cpu itself only has a 20gb/s bus limit. Its not going to change the hardware processing limits.

Optimization performance on consoles is not magical. and it does include modifying assets and setting to fit the hardware's resources. Which does include downgrading, lowering resolutions, effects and other things. The software to hardware layer is always handled by the cpu, It seems you dont realize that these consoles are not much different from computers hence the the transition from console to pc the performance difference will be very little with similar hardware since their using a low end amd cpu and a semi modified AMD gpu's.

Crysis 2 is a prime example where console optimization is blown out of proportion, seeing a 1950 pro running the game same quality and performance as the 360. Or seeing a measly 8600gt playing games better then their console counterparts. The thing people dont understand is that with the 360 and PS3 was that those companies built those taking losses to have bleeding edge tech in their consoles based on very propriety hardware that didn't get matured software until year/s later to make use of the abilities. these new consoles are not in the same league and are just using basically off the shelf pc based hardware that already has software that is mature enough to use the majority of their abilities from the get go. Take KZSF, that game used all available memory, cpu cores and gpu to produce that game. while early games on the PS3 and 360 were only using one cpu core and not making use of the whole cell nor 360's heavy shader processing abilities on gpu..

#44 Edited by 04dcarraher (20248 posts) -
@bowchicka07 said:

AMD FX 4300 3.8 ghz.

MSI AM3+ 970 mobo

8gb DDR3

1tb hdd

DVD burner

Rosewill blackbone case

CM EPP 550w psu

lol on claiming that as a POS..... and why are you adding those items such as monitor speakers mouse etc? do you add the TV, 5.1 sound system, and all other accessories needed for console gaming? If you have bought or had a desktop in like in the last 8 years you wont need any of that. also if you have been spec shopping you haven't looking good enough or live in a different country.

@yngsten said:

"Excactly, and I also want to see how well that hardware perform on next years titles like The Witcher 3 just to name a demanding one, my guess is medium maybe high even on 1080p if people aren't picky on the framerate. a GTX 780 or AMD equalient is a must if people wanna match the new consoles imo, and that will eat up that budget alone."

Your so full of it, you expect the new consoles to match GTX 780's or r 290's what load of crap. PS4 with a gpu slighter faster then a 7850 that cant even play BF4 at 1080 with full high settings yeah keep dreaming there. a r270x let alone a GTX 760 will out class the consoles.

I highly doubt you even own a gaming pc, also have any real knowledge what is going on.

#45 Edited by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:
@bowchicka07 said:

AMD FX 4300 3.8 ghz.

MSI AM3+ 970 mobo

8gb DDR3

1tb hdd

DVD burner

Rosewill blackbone case

CM EPP 550w psu

lol on claiming that as a POS..... and why are you adding those items such as monitor speakers mouse etc? do you add the TV, 5.1 sound system, and all other accessories needed for console gaming? If you have bought or had a desktop in like in the last 8 years you wont need any of that. also if you have been spec shopping you haven't looking good enough or live in a different country.

All you need for a console is the game, TV, and a controller and of course the console itself which goes without saying but since you want to touch on specifics I'll mention that too. The point is a lot more is required for a pc build. You can't just say "hey here is a tower i can build for $660 (even though it's not) and say it's all you need." Maybe the build is not a PoS so sorry for that exaggeration but you could kick in a couple hundred more bucks and have a much all around better build. Doesn't matter if I have bought or had a desktop in the past 8 years if a client asks me for a gaming computer i can't just order them specs for a tower and say "here you go." I live in America btw. What did that have to do with anything?

#46 Edited by 04dcarraher (20248 posts) -

Of course you can throw in more money for better build but the fact is that you do not have to spend 1k+ claims or whatever for the tower to be able to play games at 1080 with high/max settings, let alone able to surpass the console's abilities. Unless a person has never bought or had a computer in the last decade they already have monitor,keyboard, and mouse and speakers or can use headphones and they can even use a TV if they wanted. Most people interested pc gaming already have most of things needed. and only require the tower or just an upgrade

#47 Posted by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

Of course you can throw in more money for better build but the fact is that you do not have to spend 1k+ claims or whatever for the tower to be able to play games at 1080 with high/max settings, let alone able to surpass the console's abilities. Unless a person has never bought or had a computer in the last decade they already have monitor,keyboard, and mouse and speakers or can use headphones and they can even use a TV if they wanted. Most people interested pc gaming already have most of things needed. and only require the tower or just an upgrade

You definitely don't have to spend 1k for a good gaming build but you should. And you would be surprised on how many gaming setups start from scratch. You can't ever assume everyone has everything already because trust me they don't. But you are right on the graphics argument. Even next gen consoles won't hold a candle to what a gaming computer can put out IMO.