Is Legacy ready for the new Gamespot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -
I don't have any direct sources, but every member should see this lovely red bar on the to of your browser saying it's coming with details and an FAQ. If you don't see it then change your security or something. The new gamespot is coming. Thing will be different, things will be removed, vague new guidelines, and tons of thing switched around. On the bright side, the site will work, we will apparently have new features, and.......That's it. Early to mid this month is the date for the change. Now, since Legacy is the only board without a sticky about the new rules, I am not sure if Legacy platforms will be in the new gamespot. It may or may not be fused with other boards, or maybe it WILL be back in action. But keep in mind all of your contributions from reviews and blogs will all be gone. A lot of threads but not all will also be vanishing.
#2 Posted by SoNin360 (4968 posts) -
Pretty sure blogs and reviews are carrying over. I'm not entirely sure about all the Forums, it seems most are carrying over and there might be some new ones. I doubt they would toss this Forum.
#3 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I can tell you that there's still plenty of bugs. But hopefully that will get worked out as the Beta progresses.

Unfortunately, I don't see a Legacy Platform Board there. :(

#4 Posted by LJSEXAY (1865 posts) -
I don't think Legacy is there.
#5 Posted by NinjaLegacy (184 posts) -
I talked to a guy who knows a guy and he said its gone. But there are websites like nintendo age, digitpress and racketboy.
#6 Posted by LittleMac19 (1521 posts) -
Thanks based Obama.
#7 Posted by LittleMac19 (1521 posts) -
Thanks based Obama.
#8 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -
You would think that they will add a Legacy for 360, ps3 etc anyway and it's a pretty popular sub forum
#9 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Got an invite to the New GameSpot Beta, as I'm sure many of you did. Checking out the new GameSpot. Just setting up my new profile and looking around.

I see a lot of bugs, still, hopefully those will be ironed out as the beta goes on.

Speaking of bugs, I can't seem to be able to pick an avatar image. Whether in FireFox or in Internet Explorer, whenever I click the choose an avatar image button in my profile settings, nothing pops up.

The "Games List" section is now called "Stacks". That's buggy too, as it will never save anything I add to it.

So we're really not off to a good start. Did anyone at GameSpot even check this stuff before launching the Beta? I understand that's what Betas are for, to find bugs and iron things out. But these are plain-as-day bugs that anyone should have caught even before the Beta.

I also don't see my favorite forum, Legacy Platforms. :(

#11 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15450 posts) -

However the new GS turns out, I'm sure you'll still see the same old legacy-related threads being posted.

This forum has been stuck in its own timewarp way back before it was renamed as legacy platforms.

#12 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

However the new GS turns out, I'm sure you'll still see the same old legacy-related threads being posted.

This forum has been stuck in its own timewarp way back before it was renamed as legacy platforms.

Panzer_Zwei
I'm sure we can break out of it. Heck, Atariage is further ahead in variety of legacy platform discussions and that's a focused theme website it shouldn't be hard to do here. Start with some old console and Computer systems, try to talk about some handhelds and portable electronics more and we will be off to a good starts. IF they fix the damn bugs.
#13 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Panzer_Zwei
I'm sure we can break out of it. Heck, Atariage is further ahead in variety of legacy platform discussions and that's a focused theme website it shouldn't be hard to do here. Start with some old console and Computer systems, try to talk about some handhelds and portable electronics more and we will be off to a good starts. IF they fix the damn bugs. Also Bonk is back so I don't know if this post is already in or not.
#14 Posted by Allicrombie (24816 posts) -
Pretty sure blogs and reviews are carrying over. I'm not entirely sure about all the Forums, it seems most are carrying over and there might be some new ones. I doubt they would toss this Forum.SoNin360
Everything is "supposed" to carry over.
#15 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

will the lists of games you have on the site be copied over? would be a big hassle if I lost it all.

#16 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8004 posts) -
It seems legacy has been merged into games discussion, the legacy threads are there. No handheld sub-forums either, just main Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony ones. I really don't mind tbh as it is, current gen crops into legacy topics quite a bit and the other way around so it really won't be much different community-wise I think. I haven't been in general games much but enough to see it's better than system wars(and maybe even Legacy lately as far as trolls go).
#18 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

will the lists of games you have on the site be copied over? would be a big hassle if I lost it all.

bultje112

Yes, it carries over. But it also doesn't let you make any changes. The "Save" buttons is unresponsive. So any changes you make to it, doesn't stick.

#19 Posted by Yo-SUP (235 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

Yes, it carries over. But it also doesn't let you make any changes. The "Save" buttons is unresponsive. So any changes you make to it, doesn't stick.

I heard they were actually going to cancel some transfers because it's making the new site even more buggy than it already is. Looks like we will have to fight to bring the Legacy Platforms it's own board like the olden days. Draw your sword, thou time has come for war. Like spamming legacy threads and causing a massive unbalanced mess of confusion. I mean then again, this new site is going to freaking implode at the rate it's currently in. If you ever got invited like I do it's a huge slow crippled. browser crashing mess. Have the things don't work, and CONFIRMED to be on a day next week. I will save gamespot!
#20 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Yo-SUP

I heard they were actually going to cancel some transfers because it's making the new site even more buggy than it already is. Looks like we will have to fight to bring the Legacy Platforms it's own board like the olden days. Draw your sword, thou time has come for war. Like spamming legacy threads and causing a massive unbalanced mess of confusion. I mean then again, this new site is going to freaking implode at the rate it's currently in. If you ever got invited like I do it's a huge slow crippled. browser crashing mess. Have the things don't work, and CONFIRMED to be on a day next week. I will save gamespot!

I generally don't like Beta-anything, boast-factor only matters to those with an inferiority complex.

And i'm certainly not interested in being a test-bed for a site that already works and makes sense, but is being changed for the sake of changing it. New! Shinier! Different! Better!

These things never are better. I'm a fan of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach but i'm in the minority with that idea. You don't go out and buy a new car just because it's newer, especially if you know in advance it'll let you down more often. Funny how the modern mindset is oblivious to this.

And getting rid of the 0.5 scoring system is a really dumb idea as well, i'd like a chat with the prat who decided that was a good thing. I've given lots of games 6.5 and 7.5 for good reason; they're worse/better than 7/10 games. The new system lumps them all in together and makes it impossible to distinguish between 'mainly disappointing but some fun to be had' and 'well worth playing, despite flaws'.

This is especially important for legacy titles given the price some of them demand.

But yeah, i'll stick with the old site for as long as it's available and then when the enforced change comes around, i'll compare functionality and layout to other gaming sites which have Legacy discussions and review options (of which there are many).