Is Exclusivity Still Important?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Exclusivity Still Important? (24 votes)

Absolutely!!! - I won't even consider a pruchase unless I know its on a system I want or have. 13%
Mostly. - Games overall are important, but a console should have a few defining moments. 25%
Not Really - I could do with one or two, but any game can be fun, exclusive or not 42%
Not in the Least - I could care less about exclusives. 21%

While I was working tonight, I thought back to the SNES era of gaming. I remembered owning a NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbo Grafx 16, and I think one other console, so I could have access to all the gaming I wanted. Now, sure, we all have our glory days from the early ages of gaming. But for the life of me, I couldn't think of one reason why any of the games I played back then, NEEDED to be on just one console. Granted, it would have been hard to recode a game from cartridge to disc to HuCard. But most consoles then, had worked to six buttons and a D-pad, with Start and Select. And the visuals weren't noticably different from each other.

Fast forward to today, and the situation is even stranger. Now, studios build their own engines or buy one, all the relevant tech is equalized for the most part, there's few interface options except for S-video or HDMI, and controllers are so interchangeable, that a few hours with a dev kit, could have you playing PS 4 games, with an X-1 controller. Financially, it's even wilder. The last Tomb Raider for example, needed to sell five million copies to be successful according to CD/Squenix. What if that game was an exclusive on one console? How could they EVER expect to hit that mark, short of going out and buying five million PS3 or 360s, bundling their game in free with them, and giving them away at the same price point as the console?

All of this leads me to ask; Does exclusivity still matter? And who does it matter to? With video game sales taking a downward turn, mobile devices increasingly going up against pure consoles and handhelds, I would think now is the WORST time to try and back one specific horse in this race. I'll break this into the four groups directly affected by exclusivity: The Gamer, The Device Maker, The Game Maker, and The Game Seller.

The Gamer - Frankly, we are on the far end of the getting screwed stick, but we do get a proper poking. Exclusivity really does nothing for us. It only feeds the fanboyism between consoles and devices, and makes the worst of our community, stand up and shout for attention. A game that sells for $60 on a PS4, is gonna sell at $60 on an X-1, a WiiU, or anything else it comes out on. Likewise, games that require special controllers, aren't going to make us run out and buy a whole new console, plus a new controler, PLUS a game for that controller, to be satisfied.

The Device Maker - This group, I see living in a fantasy world. It doesn't matter which console or device you back, their creators all think the same thing: "We can sell more than our competition, if we have exclusive rights to a title" So, they shell out mucho dinero for those rights, don't think about whether or not the GAME is gonna be fun, and are shocked and shaken when no one buys it, or the console it's now prison-chained to. Even worse, the Device Makers, often endlessly tout the graphics and special effects of these exclusives, which are often the LEAST important part of a game. We've proven recently, that you don't need FSAA and Organic Bloom, to have a fun, graphically appealing game.

The Game Maker - If anyone is severely hampered by exclusivity, I think it's the game makers themselves. Yes, it's nice to get a pile of cash upfront for your game because some console or handheld maker, wants it for themselves. But in doing so, you automatically cap whatever sales you can expect, to the maximum number of sales that device has made. It's impossible to exceed that number, and that's assuming ALL those devices are still active, and ALL the people owning them, buy a copy of the game. Even worse, if you have a runaway hit, you've REALLY shortchanged yourself. I can't think of any game that has been exclusive in the past five years, that couldn't have made MORE money, had it been available on more than one platform.

The Game Seller - This is the only group that profits from Exclusivity in any form, and by god are they looking to chop even more off for themselves. At first, the profit was largely small. Because retailers like Gamestop and Bust Buy can track who bought what system in their stores' area, they can ship and distribute exclusive games accordingly. You don't need two thousand copies of Gears of War 3 in a Gamestop where there's been just 200 sales of x-360s. But as time progressed, they managed to jump in on the bandwagon, with "in-store exclusive bonuses" Even with multiplatform games, retailers are trying to carve up who gets what first, to their benefit alone. And recently, Gamestop said they were going to be working with game makers, at the DEVELOPMENT level, to facilitate in-store bonus content. So even MORE of the game will be hacked off and served to Gamestop first, before they birdy-feed us the rest.

As an old fart of a gamer(I'd use another term that starts with F, but Gamespot won't let me. :-) ) I just see exclusives as a pissing contest between a bunch of drunk frat boys at a party. It serves no purpose, demeans the worst of us, costs us all money for the extra kegs, and ends in a haphazard debate of quality over quantity.

• 
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Too Long Didn't Read.

Exclusives are definately important.... To people who need to justify they're systems.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Okay I read it.... And yeah I agree.... If this was posted in system wars then we could've seen all the System Whores defend their choices in the rudest fashion.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Khasym
Member since 2003 • 585 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

But in the end, the question remains that how would consoles like wii u survive without the exclusives?? how would xbox and PS manage to sell more without the exclusives? They just simply can't.

Well, that's just it. Nintendo's a fantastic game maker. I can fault their consoles and peripherals, but even as a Nintendo detractor, I can't really slam their games. All their games, are kind of hamstrung by the fact that they're chained to the Wii/WiiU. Imagine the sales if they went multiplat. As for Sony and MS, without exclusives, they can actually put forth more effort and MONEY, into making their consoles better, cheaper and more engaging. They would have more money to put behind their consoles to make THEM distinct, rather than the games they play being distinct.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

@geniobastardo

We're now starting to zero in on why PC is the better platform.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Khasym
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@geniobastardo

We're now starting to zero in on why PC is the better platform.

:-) Well, I wouldn't say that. But, we're getting charged more and more for these consoles, that pretty much look and act the same. Even WITH the exclusives, there's really no way to tell the difference between the PS4 and X-1. It's like trying to compare the NASCAR variants of individual automakers. Whatever positives or negatives each has, a skilled team using the parts, can still put out great effort.

What's interesting, is that in five year's time, all the exclusives, will be out on an open source like Steam or GoG. Whoever has the rights, will sell em off for a quick buck, and whatever exclusivity they had, will be gone. But if the consoles themselves did things different, they'd stand out.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

For console manufacturers they are important: "hey look we have this game and the others don't so you gotta buy our console if you want to play it"

For me, they are annoying because I don't want to buy all this redundant hardware to play all of the games I want.

I voted "I could[sic] care less", but I really couldn't

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@Khasym

I'd rather see that future tomorrow than in a few years....

Fanboyism is making things unncecssarily complicated for me.

CimmerianSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CimmerianSpace
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Didnt Unity kill exclusivity?? Not being an Xbox or PS4 owner i cant comment on those, but if i play a game on my PC it wouldnt bother me if it was on another platform

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: i don't get why ppl write essays to say something so simple

Nope not important besides some of the best games multiplatform anyway....

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@Notorious1234NA

Its a delicate issue thats easy to misunderstand, so the long essay needs to cover all basis.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

For consoles yes, it's the only reason you have to buy one.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

Well, exclusives only exist to nourish the platform. If it wasn't for any exclusives, why would people buy consoles anyway? Consoles wouldn't have grown to the extent they have today.

Personally, I could care less about exclusives. In all honesty I would want all the games on just one platform rather than scattered through a plethora of platforms. But in the end, the question remains that how would consoles like wii u survive without the exclusives?? how would xbox and PS manage to sell more without the exclusives? They just simply can't.

That isn't true , did console exclusive games help, sure but its not the reason why consoles are big.

The major reason consoles are big is because its so much easier than having a pc not to mention cheaper.

So are exclusives on consoles important nah not really except for Nintendo which if they didn´t keep their own ip´s so close would be left in the dust.

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Notorious1234NA

most ppl here would be PC gamers if the ol myth "PC gaming too expensive" wasn't ingrained in their minds due to smart marketing.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

Thats no longer the case now is it.... Console Convenience is dead and PC Convenience is on the rise.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

@Notorious1234NA

Precisely ! ! !

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

Thats no longer the case now is it.... Console Convenience is dead and PC Convenience is on the rise.

That is something the pc propaganda machine might have made you believe, will it become easier with a steam box sure, but here you really can ask "why would i buy this?"

As long as you have a console where all you need to do is plug in the hdmi cable and you can play 99% of all games without any major problems, the question is more why would i even bother with a PC? and do you really want me to show post after post after post about just how many have problems with playing pc games?

And i say that as a pc gamer.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacanuk

@notorious1234na said:

most ppl here would be PC gamers if the ol myth "PC gaming too expensive" wasn't ingrained in their minds due to smart marketing.

Sure, because there is absolute no difference in sitting down with a console or sitting down with a pc then price.

So no most people wouldn't be pc gamers because convenience and ease is still important to a lot of gamers.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

Thats the console Propaganda machine, its very very far from Plug in and Play and even further from being inexpensive.

and I say that as a Xbox owner.

The only thing PC doesn't have that I most desire is local multiplayer.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

Thats the console Propaganda machine, its very very far from Plug in and Play and even further from being inexpensive.

and I say that as a Xbox owner.

The only thing PC doesn't have that I most desire is local multiplayer.

You are clearly misrepresenting the facts here, if you have a xbox and can't just "throw in a cd" and play you are doing something wrong, and if you are referring to the installation some console games have, its still within the scope of "plug and play"

Do steam help the same thing on pc? again yes but you want me to show you all the people who can't because of their pc, either because to outdated drivers, to old hardware, not to mention that unless you a high end pc you can often spend a fair bit of time finding the correct graphical setting.

Also pc dont have LAN, thats sure news to me, also i think its news to many of the LAN parties that have been around since the mid 90´s

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43995 Posts

Yeah I think exclusivity is still important. I voted for the "Mostly" option a console should have at least a few defining moments to give reason for it's existence.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

lol, logically NO. not even close. if it did, then, one would be forced to argue that only those who have played EVERY game in existence have a rational argument.

i just had this discussion recently with a complete fool who actually thought "exclusivity" proved his argument for the ps4 that centered on sales and personal preference as opposed to my point: pc's are superior.

personal taste has nothing to do with one's argument and exclusivity is actually harmful.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@Khasym

I'd rather see that future tomorrow than in a few years....

Fanboyism is making things unncecssarily complicated for me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

How could I be doing something wrong....? The idea is I'm not suppose to do anything at all, yet I still find myself running updates both Automatic and Manuall, Online Passes which are just Activation keys for consoles on top of Paying Gold Membership to play online, expensive accessaries that shouldve been included in the 1st. I still don't get why Microsoft still doesn't include the Play and Charge Kit as standard. The console hardware is outdated to and it shows everytime the framerate suffers, except you don't have the option to upgrade it, no sir, instead you need to buy a whole new console with whole new accesseries and just to **** you over once more they release an HD, or Remastered version of the game because lets face it, Backward's Compatibility is bad for business.

Ah yes LAN, still Requires 2 PCs, Still Requires Networking, Still Requires two copies of the same game..... The only difference between LAN and Online Multiplayer is Distance..... don't get me wrong... I am admitting you're right, foolish but right all the same.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: forget fanboy funniness. it won't be complicated if you ignore its stupidity.

and, remember, as we get older, every year there are more fools who think sony is great . personally, the xbox and the 360 demolished that idiot line of thought, but, due to microsoft's stupidity, it's right back here again. and, combined with young idiots, you get games like tlou being thought of as innovative, new and great.

thus, pc's baby!

go hawks!

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Exclusives are the main reason I picked a PS4 and Wii U over the Xbone. It's even worst for MS since major multiplatforms are better everywhere else.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@udUbdaWgz1

But this stupidity is affecting me ! :(

I was seriously looking foward to getting Disney Infinity, then I found out about the Hulk Preorder exclusivity bonus for Sony.... Its not that Playstation Getting an extra bonus that bothers me..., its the fact that Sony went out of their way to make sure nobody else could get The Hulk too, even if they were willing to pay for it, buy it seperately or whatever.... Oh it will be available for everybody eventually, after Sony moves enough units.

I don't even want the Hulk.... Or do I ? Doesn't Matter !

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jacanuk

@udubdawgz1 said:

lol, logically NO. not even close. if it did, then, one would be forced to argue that only those who have played EVERY game in existence have a rational argument.

i just had this discussion recently with a complete fool who actually thought "exclusivity" proved his argument for the ps4 that centered on sales and personal preference as opposed to my point: pc's are superior.

personal taste has nothing to do with one's argument and exclusivity is actually harmful.

Its actually funny that you assume that because PC in tune with Moore´s law quickly get ahead of consoles, it actually also makes it the more superior platform, because we all know that its all about having a ferrari and not actually being able to use it that matters, And that some how impacts peoples choice. Its system wars logic at its worst. Also you and your friend are actually both fools here, first of all most people buy what their friends buy because funny enough they want to actually be able to play with them. And they also buy what makes it most convenient for them.

Not to forget the last biggest point that this whole fanboy debate is just absolutely ridiculous since most adults actually don't consider them fan of any one console, its just kids who seem to have that notion. I for one have all 3 consoles and also a pretty decent pc , so all i care about is the games , the hardware is just there.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jacanuk

@udubdawgz1 said:

@Lulu_Lulu: forget fanboy funniness. it won't be complicated if you ignore its stupidity.

and, remember, as we get older, every year there are more fools who think sony is great . personally, the xbox and the 360 demolished that idiot line of thought, but, due to microsoft's stupidity, it's right back here again. and, combined with young idiots, you get games like tlou being thought of as innovative, new and great.

thus, pc's baby!

go hawks!

Think you missed a sign where it said Games Discussion and not System Wars fanboy debate.

Also the irony in your post lol nice one.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

Redundant hardware. If you can afford it then lucky you, its still redudant as theres no technical reason why these games can't be multiplatform. Sony and Microsoft do what they have to further their systems even if they are the same under the plastic.

A world governed by multiplatform games and no exclusives may never happen, doesn't mean its not better, and considering that its the people standing in the way of this possibility instead of the technology then why shouldn't I say exclusives are bad ? Because You don't want to look like you've wasted money ? I have no allegiance and I am part of no club and I don't buy what my friends buy. Such a pitty so many people can't think for themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I find exclusive to be annoying. like once a great man said, "Exclusive mean holding games hostage to a specific system that doesn't help anyone."

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Exclusivity does nothing but hurt gamers.

I wish it didn't happen outside of instances where it's only capable of being done on certain hardware such as a game that's only really playable with a keyboard/mouse, or something that takes advantage of motion controls.

But then again.... All hardware makers are capable of making motion controls, and adding keyboard/mouse support.....

Exclusivity sucks.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Gamerno6666

Ah yes, I've been looking for a much simpler way to to sum up Exclusives into a single sentence.

"Exclusive mean holding games hostage to a specific system that doesn't help anyone."

Its definately going on twitter. :)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

How could I be doing something wrong....? The idea is I'm not suppose to do anything at all, yet I still find myself running updates both Automatic and Manuall, Online Passes which are just Activation keys for consoles on top of Paying Gold Membership to play online, expensive accessaries that shouldve been included in the 1st. I still don't get why Microsoft still doesn't include the Play and Charge Kit as standard. The console hardware is outdated to and it shows everytime the framerate suffers, except you don't have the option to upgrade it, no sir, instead you need to buy a whole new console with whole new accesseries and just to **** you over once more they release an HD, or Remastered version of the game because lets face it, Backward's Compatibility is bad for business.

Ah yes LAN, still Requires 2 PCs, Still Requires Networking, Still Requires two copies of the same game..... The only difference between LAN and Online Multiplayer is Distance..... don't get me wrong... I am admitting you're right, foolish but right all the same.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

Redundant hardware. If you can afford it then lucky you, its still redudant as theres no technical reason why these games can't be multiplatform. Sony and Microsoft do what they have to further their systems even if they are the same under the plastic.

A world governed by multiplatform games and no exclusives may never happen, doesn't mean its not better, and considering that its the people standing in the way of this possibility instead of the technology then why shouldn't I say exclusives are bad ? Because You don't want to look like you've wasted money ? I have no allegiance and I am part of no club and I don't buy what my friends buy. Such a pitty so many people can't think for themselves.

If you don't just plug and play, you are doing something wrong if you own a console And i never find myself doing updates, thats what automatic and background downloads is for when they do happen or worry about online passes because its still easy if that is what you want. Also paying gold to play online, well thats not really about how easy it is to play, but more a critic of Microsoft and Sony. And the graphics and frame nonsense, this is not system wars, so that one don't bite.

But most you list here are not really to do with the fact that 99% of the time you can sit down on the console and play and can keep playing because the gamers will keep coming and keep getting better, so you might get better framerate, better graphics and a bigger playground online on a pc, but still it doesn't matter when that is mostly just cosmetic and when you come right down to it if all you want to do is plug and play, nothing beats a console.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

Everything that is convenient is costly and everything that is affordable is inconvenient... Simple as that.

"if all you want to do is plug and play, nothing beats a console."

Nope... Nothing beats a Nintendo.

Also you never heard of prebuilt gaming PCs, not convenient enough for ya ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

To me, yes mostly. It's what separates consoles and gives them some identity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

Seriously? There are many words I could use in my comment to you but I am afraid you wouldn't be able to understand them, or worse...get to bored reading the first sentence. The original poster took time and effort to write the post. You could at least show some initiative and read what they wrote.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Too Long Didn't Read.

Exclusives are definately important.... To people who need to justify they're systems.

To the original poster. Exclusive games had a purpose years ago when the systems were different. They were defining who they were. Some were bought out. Others never gained enough of a fan-base to make a large profit, (*cough* Sega Dreamcast *cough*) Over the last 20+ years, the video game industry has basically turned itself into a battleground when they could honestly profit HUGELY from combing their efforts instead of criticizing the competition all the time. They tend to focus on how to impress the individuals with a low attention span. Nintendo used to be THE system...now its considered more of a joke than an actual gaming system. The PS4 and XBox1 are so similar, it it pretty much pointless to even have two different competing systems. A lot of "fan boys" will argue that their system is better than the other...in a lot of ways, they could be right one way or another. I am not trying to debate that here. Think of the possibilities if the developers no longer created exclusives. They would get more revenue...that doesn't take much effort. People cannot honestly afford two systems, let along three. I personally own a PS4, but would love to play Halo, Gears of War, etc. more but I am not going to fork out more money to buy a XBox1. I'm sure there are XBox1 owners that would love to play PS4 exclusives. In conclusion, it would be nice to think about. The possibilities that would be created by developers if they were no longer required to focus on two systems, but one...and when I say one, I mean both Microsoft and Sony stop competing with each other and created one, simple, all inclusive system.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

yes mostly for me

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@TheDarkWolf86

Like the PC ? ;)

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Notorious1234NA
  • The main reason consoles are popular now is because of price, that's it.
  • The success of the PS4, Nintendo DS, and Wii have shown us that specs, convenience, and software do not move units and those factors are simply correlations.
  • If we measure convenience with regards to flexibility (most gamers do hence the very social Xbone), it's clear which wins

In the last recent years, PC gaming has become dirt cheap and developers make sure their games can run on low end, mid tier, and high end graphics cards. What PC elitist don't want you to know is that a cheap 660 Nividia card can run most current/ future games on Medium to High settings flawlessly with 40-70 FPS easily after some automated tweaks. Even the $120 560ti can run most games today with no problems. Sure the 780 will give you 100+ fps, but its unneeded and you enter the realm of diminishing returns. That is the problem with PC gaming in a nutshell. Everyone thinks you need powerful system when in fact all you need is $600 to build a decent gaming PC. Heck, I game on a friggin Asus laptop and have zero problems..nuff said case closed. My friggin 660M LAPTOP can play plenty AAA games with no problems including MMOs like TERA that have horrible optimization. Yes PC games have problems, but you know as well as I that the overall quality of the game depends on the developers reputation. The same applies to console video games so your point was moot. Every generation, the industry (SONY-MS-Nintendogs) pumps out shit after shit copy paste games leaving us with only 1-15 critically acclaimed innovative video games after 7 years. The rest are akin to B list movies or worst get the COD treatment. Moving on now, some proof or example of what a $120 560ti GPU can do:

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#43 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Exclusives just arent prevalent as they were before due to the decline in 3rd party exclusivity. It's mostly there for bragging rights or a means to convince someones insecure self that they made the correct gaming purchase. You'd be surprised at the amount of console owners that dont care for exclusives and are content with owning any relevant gaming console for their household or living room. Many are now making their console purchases due to the genuine service a console provides over the actual exclusive games.

I'm in the market for either a Wii-U/PS4/XB1 at the moment. Exclusives arent really a factor I am keen on due to most exclusive game announcements just not really interesting me. It's becoming a case particularly with Sony/MS where they are putting out exclusives just for the sake of having exclusives; rather than releasing games that I actually want to play.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Khasym

@TheDarkWolf86 said:
The possibilities that would be created by developers if they were no longer required to focus on two systems, but one...and when I say one, I mean both Microsoft and Sony stop competing with each other and created one, simple, all inclusive system.

That is 100% how I feel. Both Sony and MS are trying to innovate their console, in the worst possible ways. Instead of doing things with the consoles themselves, they're doing things on the services the consoles run on. They're not really innovating the X-1 or the PS4, they're innovating Xbox Live and Playstation Plus. For a brief time, almost half a second long, I was actually excited for MS when they announced they were packing a Kinect in with the X-1. I thought that maybe they finally worked out the bugs, and can really soar on motion controls.....then I saw that it was just BUNDLED in, as a stand alone addon. And I knew then that MS was setting early adopters up. Sony, to it's small credit in this regard, DIDN'T try and force the PS Camera into the mix. I'd be PC exclusive for the next ten years if they did. :-)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#45 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Not Really - I could do with one or two, but any game can be fun, exclusive or not (Voted)

"Exclusive" is a dirty word . A dictatorship .

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46  Edited By YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

Exclusives are absolutely important. With consoles and PCs getting many of the same games, the exclusive games are the ones that make the platforms different. It's why Nintendo will never put Mario games out on other platforms, why Sega couldn't go 3rd party while making its own hardware, why Sony has built up an impressive first party lineup and both Sony and MS throws astronomical amounts of money at publishers.

In many ways, exclusives are the identity of a platform. What is a Nintendo console without their stalwart franchises? Or Sony? Or Microsoft?

With so few exclusives nowadays, the ones that still exist have become ever more important. At the end of the day, every console is a computer. Some, like the Colecovision or SG-1000, actually becamecomputers later in their lives. It's the games that distinguish one platform from the next.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@YukoAsho

Yeah so ?.... if Mario went multiplatform then Nintendo wouldn't be so special anymore.... Which sucks... FOR NINTENDO !

But Mario will be Mario regardless of how many platforms its on.... I get why Nintendo doesn't to share but why do gamers encourage this level of selfishness when they don't benefit from it ?

I swear to god I've seen actuall rage from People when Games like Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry and The Witcher. I've seen them swear and curse and even condemn the destruction of the franchise than to see it go multiplatform, as if the number of platforms dilutes the quality of the game.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#48 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's the only reason why I own consoles; otherwise I'd play everything only on PC. So yeah, it is very important

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

They are poopy. I hate them. It's honestly just one of the big 3 Console manufacturers injecting money into a Dev to create a game no one else can have. The dev will never sell more units through exclusivity- they always have the limited fanbase. It's just console makers trying to sell consoles. If there was no exclusivity, we could actually have competing consoles. Consoles competing against CONSOLES, not which company injected money into a cool game.