Do you approve of DLC? Pls still comment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

I myself have refrained from buying dlc I've never liked the idea of it, I realised straight away it's just a clever way of game companies making more money out of me. I think the only dlc I've ever bought was a weapon pack for Deus ex, and I felt dirty afterwards, I had to take like 10 showers, all i got was a antique looking shotgun 10,000 credits and something else that I can't even find. Was totally not worth it paying real money for in game credits didn't sit right with me. I'm more than happy to buy a game play that game to completion and fcuk the dlc.

Do you buy every piece of dlc for a game, and are the dlc expansions substantial, am I missing out?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

If DLC is worth the cost depends very much on who is making it and what the dlc is

you have the bad like the first Bioshock and other season pass DLC´s, Payday 2 etc.

But you also have the good like Rockstar´s GTA IV DLC where both ads so much new content that its almost like a whole new game, and that is how a DLC should be.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Not usually. I miss the days of expansion packs because they had enough new content to be standalone games.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Generally not. DLCs tend to be short in length and end up being close to the price of the actual game once it's been out for a while. It's best to buy it bundled if you can or just wait for some sort of complete edition.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Well I've purchased dlc that I felt was worth it so in general I would say yes it is but it all depends on the content, the individual, and what they expect out of it.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

It's pretty hit or miss. Sometimes you get screwed(Arkham Origins season pass), sometimes you get awesome(GTA4 TLaD, RDR Undead Nightmare), and(if you're like me) sometimes you just keep shelling out because it's awesome(Sleeping Dogs costumes, Just Cause 2 weapons & vehicles).

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

Depends on the DLC, individual taste and wallet, plain and simple..

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ariabed

@yngsten: it's not plain and simple, I'm asking about people's experiences with DLC. As I never really bother with it.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

the only DLC i felt content with buying is Skyrim's DLC and The Last of Us's.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@ariabed said:

@yngsten: it's not plain and simple, I'm asking about people's experiences with DLC. As I never really bother with it.

Topic: Is DLC good value for money? So I said it depends on the DLC, some offer new lands to explore, others merely a "horse armor" and it also depends on the appeal it has on individuals, if I'm a warrior I might not find the "Staff of Flames" that interesting, but a Sorcerer might... so yeah, it's pretty much that simple. I've been satisfied with some DLC, other DLC not, some I ignore...but I find DLC that offer substantial content (good ol' expansion) more appealing rather than the item money grabs.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ariabed

@yngsten: cheers, And yeh your right I need to change the title of this thread :)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i only buy story DLC or something that adds to the game. Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed are good examples

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Do You remember Expansion Packs ?

DLC is nothing compared to that.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

The concept of DLC? Sure, additional stuff to do in already awesome games is welcome, IMO. If only every game released added content as good as Left Behind, Minerva's Den, Artorias of the Abyss, etc., then I'm sure we'd all be pretty enthusiastic for it.

Pricing and the richness of content are the two attributes usually lacking. But some devs get it and have done a good job with their DLC offerings.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Last_Ride

@geniobastardo said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

i only buy story DLC or something that adds to the game. Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed are good examples

other than that, I buy DLCs only when they're dirt cheap.

Depends on the quality though

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ariabed

@Lulu_Lulu: are expansion packs not DLC? forgive my stupidity Like I said I just buy a game play through the story and I'm done. I mean if I by added story will there be enough of a story to get into it or will it just end prematurely?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Last_Ride

@geniobastardo said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@geniobastardo said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

other than that, I buy DLCs only when they're dirt cheap.

Depends on the quality though

yup. Like the games you've mentioned, I buy them regardless of their price but I missed Dragon Age one.

Awakening from DA Origins is a game on it's own. I recomend it. I mostly get what i want when i buy DLC and i am satisfied with it. Because i know what i like

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Same here. I recently bought all story DLCs for Dishonored and Dragonborn for Skyrim and I'm happy I did as they turned out to be great experiences. Of course I waited for a steam deal and a 50% price drop.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@ Ariabed

Its not Stupid at all. Expansion are pretty much DLC, only difference they are like whole new games... Kind of like Far Cry's Blood Dragon or uhm...... I can't even think of another recent one. The reason theres so much confusion about them is because Expansion Packs are so rare they've practically become as mytholigical as the locness monster or the Two-nicorn (its like a Unicorn with 2 horns, it originated in Egualia).

Last Time I bought an Expansion was Creature Isle for Black & White.

The only time I get DLC now is when I buy the complete editions of games, President Evil 5 Gold Edition or Arkham City GOTY Edition. I'd rather repurchase the entire game again with DLC than buy DLC seperately mostly because DLC is pretty expensive. I don't like Season Passes either.... Just look at what happrned with Bioshock Infinte.... What a ripp off. Its like Pre-Ordering except this time you don't know whats coming.

In a Perfect World

Sports Games

Assassin's Creed

Call of Duty

Street Fighter

would all be like World of Warcraft: One Game with 10 Expansions.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

If I had a choice I'd rather it not exist, but if it's handled well I have no issues with it. Day 1 is bullshit though and is nothing more than stripping finished content out to nickel and dime us. If it arrives 3-4 months after the release and is priced accordingly, no trouble. I usually try to refrain from buying it and will instead wait for the GotY edition later on though if it's a franchise I'm a huge fan of (Batman's Catwoman DLC) I'll buy sooner.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I no longer buy games the day they come out because of DLC. I wait for complete editions and price drops. The shorter the game the longer I wait. If a game is 5 hours long I'll wait till it's dirt cheap. Metal Gear Rising is a perfect example. It's down to $20 new now which is more acceptable to me. I'm gonig to pick it up soon. I won't pay full price if I think it's a rip off. Batman Arkham City is another example. I waited and got the Game of year edition for $20. Back in the day I had no problem paying full price for a game because it was a finished product. Now they try to nickle and dime us on everything.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@ jdc6305

Amen to that !

Actually I only pretend to be above DLC but the truth is I'm broke as hell and can't actually afford to buy a new game at $60 then $30 worth of DLC.

I'm not proud.... I'm just cheap. :)

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

I'm Loafofgame and I approve dlc.

Stripped of any business intentions I think dlc is a logical development, because well, it's downloadable. Ergo, convenience. That said, it can be used in questionable ways, although I'm often tempted to blame the consumer for any disappointing experiences. I firmly believe that in general you can pretty accurately predict whether a specific full game will be worth it and after that you can also assess whether the dlc will be worth it. I have to admit I usually wait for sales and since the formula 'lower monetary investment equals lower demands and expectations' regularly applies, I'm not discontent with my purchases very often, even though I probably should have been had I paid full price.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Some of'em are necessary u know like the last dlc of Bioshock Infinite which u need to play to understand the whole story ...make a long story short , Story dlcs matter.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

What about Uploadable Content (ULC) ?

Shouldn't we be looking into a ULC concept ?

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ariabed

@Lulu_Lulu: that's what I did with fallout3 I bought the GOTY edition for next to nothing even though I already had the original version. I've played through a couple of the added stories they're only an hour or two worth of gameplay so depending on how much each story would have been when first released, I don't think it would have been worth it, saying that, you do get some good weapons and armour for completing the stories I guess, Chinese stealth armour anyone? yes please!!!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu

@ Ariabed

I still think its weird people like that game an even weirder that theres a group of people who liked Fallout 1 and 2 even more.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ariabed

@Lulu_Lulu: never heard of fallout till fallout3, fallout3 is a great game once you get a few objectives on the go and feel like you have some purpose, u can explore and search buildings other vaults for supplies, I just loved the futuristic retro style anyway your other point about ULC, isn't that just modding which of course only PC gamers have the luxury of, how would it work for consoles?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride

@geniobastardo said:

@The_Last_Ride: Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be getting that before Inquisition.

You should get most of the DLC except for the DLC where you play as Darkspawn. That is rather boring tbh.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@ Ariabed

User Generated content.

It all Started with Minecraft. And pretty soon will end with Project Spark.

Its such a shame theres no Multiplatform Equivalent that rivals that game.... Although Disney Infinity's Toy Box did try.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#34 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Do You remember Expansion Packs ?

DLC is nothing compared to that.

Rockstar says hi.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ speedfreak48t5p

Rockstar Sucks.

I wouldn't buy their main game, let alone their expansions.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@ariabed said:

@Lulu_Lulu: that's what I did with fallout3 I bought the GOTY edition for next to nothing even though I already had the original version. I've played through a couple of the added stories they're only an hour or two worth of gameplay so depending on how much each story would have been when first released, I don't think it would have been worth it, saying that, you do get some good weapons and armour for completing the stories I guess, Chinese stealth armour anyone? yes please!!!

Ah yes... some of that fallout 3 dlc was pretty decent.

But with fallout new vegas I found the dlc was pretty much essential.

So with fallout 4 I might just be inclined to wait for the inevitable goty edition lol.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I think there's more to DLC than just making money. DLC also adds life to a game, especially ones that rely heavily on the MP component. I mean, look at COD for example or even Halo. If they released all of the maps and weapon upgrades with the game at launch, how many people would still stick around with it a few months later? BUT, if they hold out on a specific map until 3 months after launch, that makes those who might be sick of it to stick around for one more go.

As much as I dislike DLC at times, it really is genius for game developers. It adds depth to a game and makes money for them. Why wouldn't they offer it?

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ariabed

@thereal25: @mjorh: oh I see so as well as making you pay for added content that could of been in the game from day1, bio shock infinite are making you buy DLC if you want the whole story, no fair. So they're giving you 3/4 of a game and making you buy the last bit that's exactly why I don't like DLC.

@thereal25; it takes great discipline to resist a shiny new game, and wait for it to be cheaper or for a GOTY copy, especially when all you hear about is how amazing said game is. Lol

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 The_Last_Ride

@geniobastardo said:

@The_Last_Ride: playing as the darkspawn. That sounds boring as it is.

Yeah i bought that to try it out, it wasn't worth it. At least it wasn't expensive. But yeah, story driven games with good DLC is a good thing as long as it doesn't take anything away from the original game

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thereal25

Companies are smart.

Psychologically it sounds better to have the base game at $60 and have $20 dlc as opposed to just having a $80 game.

But we as consumers have to be smart too. We have to ask ourselves - do I really want that dlc - is it necessary? - is it worth it?

And the same applies to the game itself.

Personally I don't mind dlc - even day one dlc - because I know I always have the option of waiting for steam specials down the track!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

@ thereal25

"But we as consumers have to be smart too."

yeahhh thats never going to happen. If Microsoft just hung in there I'm sure they couldve implimented their original DRM policy for the Xbox One. Pretty much like valve with steam way back in 2005. They just hung in they because they new gamers aren't smart. They know we don't like forming our own oppinions and prefer to have reviews do it for us and distill that oppinion down to a single number. Gamers are screwed.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ thereal25

And Companies are beyond smart. They are freaking genius. If only you knew the sh!t they've been up to.

There was one guy who figured out the trend but he was too late. Games were already doing it. We couldve stopped this if only we knew sooner.

www.gamasutra.com/blogs/AndrzejMarczewski/20140422/215939/Gamification_Design_vs_Game_Design.php

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ariabed

@thereal25: extra content/story ok I can respect that but when it comes to holding back the whole story in the main game only to release the rest of the story in DLC then that's wrong.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ariabed

@Lulu_Lulu: you really reckon we could have stopped this?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@ Ariabed

Actually No. This level of conditioning is extremely persuasive, some jack ass actually gave it a name... "Exploitationware". Even I'm having a hard time acting like I'm above it all when I'm actually not. One lapse in judgement and I could be a Hardcore DLC whore. or I could just go back to pirating stuff. anything could happen. :(

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I hardly ever buy DLC. Once I buy a game, that's it, Im done with it. I hate pre-order bonuses, too.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Free DLC is dandy. But I pass on paid DLC, unless it's part of a GOTY package.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thereal25

@ariabed said:

@thereal25: extra content/story ok I can respect that but when it comes to holding back the whole story in the main game only to release the rest of the story in DLC then that's wrong.

I suppose it seems a bit dodgy. But if you think about it, dlc is just a label.

You could think of it as a psychological trick by the industry to get people to spend more on the game.

So, in my experience, sometimes dlc is more of an enthusiast bonus kind of thing and then sometimes it's almost essential to the game... but the maths is still there...

... and the same question always arises, ie.: "is this game worth x amount of money right now or should I wait?"