Is Dark Souls challenging or just badly designed?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Al-Manyouk
Member since 2013 • 99 Posts

The controls are poorly designed, too many actions are linked to too few buttons, like for example you have to press the circle button for both rolling and jumping, you end up jumping when you want to roll, and rolling when you want to jump.

The targeting system isn't good either, when you lock on to an enemy the camera stays focused on them and you can't move it, sometimes your whole view would get blocked behind trees and you can no longer see anything since you can't move the camera. You also have to be very close to an enemy to lock on, so you can't keep an empty space between you and the enemy to see what they're doing.

The way you walk on ledges, cliffs or other thin paths is cheap, no specific method to traverse them was ever designed, meaning you have to walk so carefully or you will fall off and die, even while you're fighting an enemy.

There is no map either, which makes you run around in circles for hours, and worse is the game gives you no sense of direction, making you even more lost.

As for the actual combat, I've heard about how strategic it's supposed to be, but you use the same strategy for every enemy, hit and run, or circle around them and wait for an opening to attack. This became boring and repetitive after a while. As for the poweful enemies, I don't understand how giving them attacks that were stronger and faster than yours and high hp makes the game any more challenging rather than tedious and frustrating.

As for the tutorials, the devs often seemed too lazy to explain fundemental gameplay techniques, like for example teaching you how to properly parry, and this was praised as in "Dark Souls doesn't hold the player's hand like other games".

Any other game would have been panned for these issues, but Dark Souls is somehow acclaimed for them. The game really is difficult, but it's difficult for all the wrong reasons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Sounds like you want your hand to be held to me.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Any game that doesn't allow frequent saving is badly designed.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

after playing for 24 hours, id say both. some enemies are just spamming you with attacks while others are predictable to defeat. the controls are fair tbh but the main gripe for me is the knockbacks and area of attack that cause the most frustration especially the dragon at the bridge where its fire attack is able to clip through the terrain.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I think they were deliberately going for a frustrating kick in the nuts aimed at people with stockholm syndrome :P ...so I think the game delivers perfectly.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I don't find it to be badly designed, it's just meant to be tough as nails. But in the end I find it to be very rewarding.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

syztem
Sounds like you've play too many RPG's to me.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I think they were deliberately going for a frustrating kick in the nuts aimed at people with stockholm syndrome :P ...so I think the game delivers perfectly.

Its a masochists' wet dream.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I don't find it to be badly designed, it's just meant to be tough as nails. But in the end I find it to be very rewarding.

Ricardomz

And yet, I've heard people claim it's one of the easiest games to go through if you know what you're doing.

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Al-Manyouk
Member since 2013 • 99 Posts

Ricardomz

Actually I found it very unrewarding. A game is supposed to have some form of story or plot to keep you engaged. Constantly wanting to see how the story unfolds is what motivates you to carry on in a game. Dark souls had no story, it had lore but no story. There was just one pointless cinematic in the beginning where you hear someone mumbling about some fires and dragons and that's pretty much it.

The_Red_0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Red_0ne
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

It's not hard. It can create the illusion that is is, but really it just makes you pay attention. The entire game is composed of patterns and such, and if you just concentrate, you pick them all up and the game becomes a breeze. Muscle memory really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Al-Manyouk

Actually I found it very unrewarding. A game is supposed to have some form of story or plot to keep you engaged. Constantly wanting to see how the story unfolds is what motivates you to carry on in a game. Dark souls had no story, it had lore but no story. There was just one pointless cinematic in the beginning where you hear someone mumbling about some fires and dragons and that's pretty much it.

How old are you?

Games have never needed a story to succeed. It's a medium that was built on nothing but mechanics.

They should be fun to play, not fun to watch.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
The game is VERY easy once you learn how to fight. I for one disagree with pretty much all your complaints. It was refreshing to play a game where I have to learn the enemies behavior to succeed. I understand many need their hands held through the game though, like you, and that's ok. If that's what floats your' boat. Dark Souls is one of the best games I've played in a long, long time.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

"i suck at the game.  blame the controls"

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

Bigboi500
It saves constantly...any time you turn it off, or it crashes, EVERYTHING is saved. Quite brilliant, actually.
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

Its hard because at first you dont know what you are doing.

If you take your time and know the what every boss does, its not that hard. The only time I really had problems was with the first Black Knight and Havel, because I took them on way to early. After that none of the bosses killed me more then 3 times

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

demi0227_basic

It saves constantly...any time you turn it off, or it crashes, EVERYTHING is saved. Quite brilliant, actually.

You're right, I meant to say checkpoints. I don't like going through an entire dungeon and fighting a boss, dying and having to go through it all over again. I'm only going by Demon Souls since I've not played Dark Souls.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#18 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

You're right, I meant to say checkpoints. I don't like going through an entire dungeon and fighting a boss, dying and having to go through it all over again. I'm only going by Demon Souls since I've not played Dark Souls.Bigboi500

Dark Souls is more generous with checkpoints. Rarely are you far from a bonfire before fighting a boss.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I think they were deliberately going for a frustrating kick in the nuts aimed at people with stockholm syndrome :P ...so I think the game delivers perfectly.Black_Knight_00
This, I keep telling my friends who critisize dark souls. 

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]You're right, I meant to say checkpoints. I don't like going through an entire dungeon and fighting a boss, dying and having to go through it all over again. I'm only going by Demon Souls since I've not played Dark Souls.c_rake

Dark Souls is more generous with checkpoints. Rarely are you far from a bonfire before fighting a boss.

Really? I did not know that. It's the main reason why I never bothered with Dark Souls. I'm all for an epic boss battle, I'll keep fighting until my fingers turn blue trying to find a way to beat a tough boss, but I have no patience for fighting fifty enemies over and over just to reach a boss. imo that kept Demon's Souls from being a truly great game.

Thanks for letting me know.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

It's not hard. It can create the illusion that is is, but really it just makes you pay attention. The entire game is composed of patterns and such, and if you just concentrate, you pick them all up and the game becomes a breeze. Muscle memory really.

The_Red_0ne

Mostly the illusion comes from the franchise actually penalizing you for death, which it does in about 3 different ways. Most games don't penalize you at all and you just restart a few seconds, maybe a minute before you died. But you're not actually dieing in Dark/Demon Souls anymore than you are in any other game, assuming that game isn't a total pushover.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Its not badly designed, the game is just so darn difficult because it severely punishes you if you suck at it, and you totally do for the first playthrough. Just stick through it and you'll see, any playthrough after that has the game feeling like a total cakewalk. I won't deny that it has its cheap moments though, that curse effect really crossed the line a bit for me.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Neither. The difficulty is just right and the game is well designed.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

First off, the controls are fine and function perfectly. The only time you can jump is out of a full on sprint. It isn't like you'll try rolling to the side and just randomly jump, no, you're simply failing to grasp a very basic mechanic. If you want to roll after a sprint, just slow down a little bit and then roll and you'll avoid jumping. 

The aiming system is a bit off at times, especially when your forced into small corridors with several enemies. However, I've never had this issue of being too close to the enemy and not being able to tell what they're doing. The aiming system isn't perfect and leaves something to be desired, but that isn't one of them.

You have to be careful while on ledges, why does it need a whole new mechanic to traverse them. Would you prefer it to be like Uncharted where you're simply locked on a ledge and have zero threat of death? It requires precision and patience, but it isn't cheap. Especially since many of these edges simply ask you to move forward.

Each time you enter a new area, text appears that takes up the entire screen. Remember what various locations are called, and explore. A map isn't necessary, especially since the world isn't that big and many areas have a very distinct art style so it's rather easy to remember where you have, or haven't been. If you really want a map, make one. That game doesn't tell you where to go or what to do because you can complete each area from the get go however you see fit.

Interesting that you complain about a lack of strategy and then immediately talk about how cheap the more powerful enemies are. Did it occur to you that you're using the wrong strategies on those more powerful enemies? If I think about the Undead Burg, I know that I'm going to block normal attacks and then quickly slash the lesser enemies, I'm going to bait the spear zombies by attacking them and then blocking their retaliation allowing me to hurt them, I'm going to roll away from the firebombs then retaliate with a bow, backstab the Black Knight, parry him once or twice to finish him off, and then I'm going to two hand a Claymore to battle the Taurus demon after I plunge attack his face. There's already plenty of variety right there.

The game teaches you the controls and gives you some pretty simple enemies to practice on. How does it not teach you how to parry? It tells you what button to push, and so long as you know what "parry" means it should be pretty straight forward. 

gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Metamania

And yet, I've heard people claim it's one of the easiest games to go through if you know what you're doing.

well any game is easy if you know what you're doing.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Metamania

It is. It's actually incredibly simplistic. You just have to be patient. But when a game forces you to play it a certain way the ENTIRE game it becomes really stupid and boring.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Challenging yes, but Dark Souls is the right kind of challenging. 

No map and little sense of direction? Believe it or not, this is something that draws in a good number of players. Think about all the games you've played recently. Lots of them have extended intros with long cutscenes and many tool-tip style hints. There are many linear games out there that have your path set from the beginning. As a long-time Metroid player, I appreciate that I have freedom to explore and that I may clear areas before what normal progression would be.

Difficulty? A lot of Dark Souls' difficulty comes from unfamiliarity, I think. All those traps and hidden enemies will most certainly cause you pain your first time through. But if you pay attention to enemy patterns, and try different approaches for different enemies, you may find yourself able to predict what hazards are ahead. It is important to plan your course of attack. (There's an enemy behind that corner. I should eliminate that enemy before crossing that narrow bridge. I'm close to a boss fight. Better provoke enemies one at a time to have healing for the boss.) In addition, almost every attack from every enemy in the game can be either evaded or parried. There are only a few instances where I would label the game difficulty cheap (Silver Knight Archers). As a whole I find the game much more fair and rewarding that something like max difficulty in an FPS game, where 'difficulty' comes from oversized health pools and endlessly respawning enemies.

As for controls, that will vary between players. I've never really a problem with them. What the game could stand to do, however, is explain its mechanics better. You are'nt really given enough information about certain things such as: Weapon stats scaling with the appropriate parameter, weapon effects like Divine/Occult/Chaos, and Adjustment stats for Catalysts and Talismans. It can be hard as a new player to understand that past a certain level, it's not really worth investing in some stats or that while a Lightning Uchigatana sounds cool, a Regular +15 Uchigatana with Crystal Magic Weapon applied will out-damage it with the appropriate stat investment.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu
Another thing I don't like about Dark Souls is how unbalanced it is, but then again all RPG's are unbalanced. I don't know, I was hoping Dark Souls would be different.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

firefox59

It is. It's actually incredibly simplistic. You just have to be patient. But when a game forces you to play it a certain way the ENTIRE game it becomes really stupid and boring.

Patience? F*ck Patience.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Challenging yes, but Dark Souls is the right kind of challenging.

No map and little sense of direction? Believe it or not, this is something that draws in a good number of players. Think about all the games you've played recently. Lots of them have extended intros with long cutscenes and many tool-tip style hints. There are many linear games out there that have your path set from the beginning. As a long-time Metroid player, I appreciate that I have freedom to explore and that I may clear areas before what normal progression would be.

gpuFX16

The exploration aspects of Dark Souls are my favorite parts of the game. It's just an amazingly fun and rewarding game to explore. Even open world games today tend to fail at giving you a reason to explore them, the only impetus being to collect 100/100 thingamajigs so you can unlock a trophy. Dark Souls has whole environments that are hidden and entirely optional - I'm thinking about the painting and the sandy beach with the dragon statue at the end (can't remember the names; been awhile). One of the best game worlds I've ever ventured into.

Also, I agree on what you're saying about these extended tutorials most games are bogged down with today. Nobody wants to pay for instruction books anymore, so they have to turn the first 15 minutes of their games into these garbage sequences. The first 15 minutes that could be spent sucking you in with a killer intro is instead spent on "push O to duck under pipes and low hanging obstacles." Enough.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gpuFX16

The exploration aspects of Dark Souls are my favorite parts of the game. It's just an amazingly fun and rewarding game to explore. Even open world games today tend to fail at giving you a reason to explore them, the only impetus being to collect 100/100 thingamajigs so you can unlock a trophy. Dark Souls has whole environments that are hidden and entirely optional - I'm thinking about the painting and the sandy beach with the dragon statue at the end (can't remember the names; been awhile). One of the best game worlds I've ever ventured into.

Ish_basic

Ash Lake and Painted World of Ariamis are the locations. And yes- it's great. I love Metroid-style non-linear games that let me explore. It's pretty great that you can travel through starting at say, Sen's Fortress and from there, head downwards: >Undead Parish>Darkroot Garden>Valley of Drakes>Blighttown>The Great Hollow>Ash Lake, all without ever having to see a loading screen. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

The controls are poorly designed, too many actions are linked to too few buttons, like for example you have to press the circle button for both rolling and jumping, you end up jumping when you want to roll, and rolling when you want to jump.

The targeting system isn't good either, when you lock on to an enemy the camera stays focused on them and you can't move it, sometimes your whole view would get blocked behind trees and you can no longer see anything since you can't move the camera. You also have to be very close to an enemy to lock on, so you can't keep an empty space between you and the enemy to see what they're doing.

The way you walk on ledges, cliffs or other thin paths is cheap, no specific method to traverse them was ever designed, meaning you have to walk so carefully or you will fall off and die, even while you're fighting an enemy.

There is no map either, which makes you run around in circles for hours, and worse is the game gives you no sense of direction, making you even more lost.

As for the actual combat, I've heard about how strategic it's supposed to be, but you use the same strategy for every enemy, hit and run, or circle around them and wait for an opening to attack. This became boring and repetitive after a while. As for the poweful enemies, I don't understand how giving them attacks that were stronger and faster than yours and high hp makes the game any more challenging rather than tedious and frustrating.

As for the tutorials, the devs often seemed too lazy to explain fundemental gameplay techniques, like for example teaching you how to properly parry, and this was praised as in "Dark Souls doesn't hold the player's hand like other games".

Any other game would have been panned for these issues, but Dark Souls is somehow acclaimed for them. The game really is difficult, but it's difficult for all the wrong reasons.

Al-Manyouk

I agree 100% but anyone who critizes Dark Souls is a troll and a crybaby. :P

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

[QUOTE="syztem"]

Lulu_Lulu

Sounds like you're still complaining about RPGs to me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

How old are you?

Games have never needed a story to succeed. It's a medium that was built on nothing but mechanics.

syztem

Age has absolutely nothing to do it. Some games; especially games like these, benefit from having some semblance of a story. This isn't Pong or pacman where there is absolutely no need for a story. Games like these create goals with the use of a story giving purpose.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

The game is VERY easy once you learn how to fight. I for one disagree with pretty much all your complaints. It was refreshing to play a game where I have to learn the enemies behavior to succeed. I understand many need their hands held through the game though, like you, and that's ok. If that's what floats your' boat. Dark Souls is one of the best games I've played in a long, long time.demi0227_basic

This hand held nonsense that you and your choir keeps singing is nothing but BAD design. A game informs you about the mechanics, not hide it under a rock. I am not saying this game has done it; cause I have not played it long enough, but the lack or the absense of instructing the gamer on the mechancis of the world is bad design. I guess you would have a blast playing EVE without a tutorial. :|

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="syztem"]

How old are you?

Pedro

Age has absolutely nothing to do it. Some games; especially games like these, benefit from having some semblance of a story. This isn't Pong or pacman where there is absolutely no need for a story. Games like these create goals with the use of a story giving purpose.

Actually, if I remember correctly, even though there wasn't a HUGE plot or anything like that, there was a small tale of how Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man met and fell in love in the earlier games, but that's about it. Just saying.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

First off, the controls are fine and function perfectly. The only time you can jump is out of a full on sprint. It isn't like you'll try rolling to the side and just randomly jump, no, you're simply failing to grasp a very basic mechanic. If you want to roll after a sprint, just slow down a little bit and then roll and you'll avoid jumping. 

The aiming system is a bit off at times, especially when your forced into small corridors with several enemies. However, I've never had this issue of being too close to the enemy and not being able to tell what they're doing. The aiming system isn't perfectand leaves something to be desired, but that isn't one of them.

You have to be careful while on ledges, why does it need a whole new mechanic to traverse them. Would you prefer it to be like Uncharted where you're simply locked on a ledge and have zero threat of death? It requires precision and patience, but it isn't cheap. Especially since many of these edges simply ask you to move forward.

Each time you enter a new area, text appears that takes up the entire screen. Remember what various locations are called, and explore. A map isn't necessary, especially since the world isn't that big and many areas have a very distinct art style so it's rather easy to remember where you have, or haven't been. If you really want a map, make one. That game doesn't tell you where to go or what to do because you can complete each area from the get go however you see fit.

Interesting that you complain about a lack of strategy and then immediately talk about how cheap the more powerful enemies are. Did it occur to you that you're using the wrong strategies on those more powerful enemies? If I think about the Undead Burg, I know that I'm going to block normal attacks and then quickly slash the lesser enemies, I'm going to bait the spear zombies by attacking them and then blocking their retaliation allowing me to hurt them, I'm going to roll away from the firebombs then retaliate with a bow, backstab the Black Knight, parry him once or twice to finish him off, and then I'm going to two hand a Claymore to battle the Taurus demon after I plunge attack his face. There's already plenty of variety right there.

The game teaches you the controls and gives you some pretty simple enemies to practice on. How does it not teach you how to parry? It tells you what button to push, and so long as you know what "parry" means it should be pretty straight forward. 

IndianaPwns39

I found the highlighted to be rather entertaining especially in the order it was written.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

Actually, if I remember correctly, even though there wasn't a HUGE plot or anything like that, there was a small tale of how Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man met and fell in love in the earlier games, but that's about it. Just saying.

Metamania

LOL. Even Pac Man had a story.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

The aiming system is a bit off at times, especially when your forced into small corridors with several enemies. However, I've never had this issue of being too close to the enemy and not being able to tell what they're doing. The aiming system isn't perfect and leaves something to be desired, but that isn't one of them.

Pedro

I found the highlighted to be rather entertaining especially in the order it was written.

Controls =/= aiming.  

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="syztem"]

Yangire

Wonderful ! :) you've been paying attention !
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

Controls =/= aiming.  

IndianaPwns39

The way a game controls DIRECTLY affects your aiming. :|

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Sounds like you've play too many RPG's to me.Lulu_Lulu

Wonderful ! :) you've been paying attention !

Yeah, you have this repetitious type of bitching that's hard to ignore.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

Controls =/= aiming.  

Pedro

The way a game controls DIRECTLY affects your aiming. :|

You can control your character just fine. In fact, I'd say the controls from movement to blocking to attacking are truly the best of the genre. 

Aiming, in the sense of readying and firing a bow and arrow, works just fine so I get how that sounds confusing. In this sense, however, aiming refers to the auto targetting lock on system which is easy to control. You click the right thumb stick and then move it enemy to enemy. However, the camera gets in the way time to time (thus the auto lock function not being perfect) which is a camera issue, not a control issue. I'm always in control of my characters actions, even when the camera is being a little bitch.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Pedro

LOL. Even Pac Man had a story.

Thank god Dark Souls has some of the best lore and story mechanics in any game this generation.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

You can control your character just fine. In fact, I'd say the controls from movement to blocking to attacking are truly the best of the genre. 

Aiming, in the sense of readying and firing a bow and arrow, works just fine so I get how that sounds confusing. In this sense, however, aiming refers to the auto targetting lock on system which is easy to control. You click the right thumb stick and then move it enemy to enemy. However, the camera gets in the way time to time (thus the auto lock function not being perfect) which is a camera issue, not a control issue. I'm always in control of my characters actions, even when the camera is being a little bitch.

IndianaPwns39

I would simply leave at we differ in the scope of what is considered part of the controls.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

Thank god Dark Souls has some of the best lore and story mechanics in any game this generation.Minishdriveby

Sure it does....:roll:

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

I don't know about Dark Souls, but Demon's Souls was pretty fair. I wouldn't call it challenging, nor would I call it badly designed...as long as you keep aware of your surroundings and don't rush you should be fine. That being said, I couldn't care less about that uninteresting story whatsoever

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] Thank god Dark Souls has some of the best lore and story mechanics in any game this generation.Pedro

Sure it does....:roll:

Sorry, you haven't searched for it. It's why I've gone back countless times and replayed the game.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gpuFX16

Sorry, you haven't searched for it. It's why I've gone back countless times and replayed the game.Minishdriveby

I happen to enjoy the lore in the game, even though I'm gameplay first and foremost. The story's there. IF you want it. I found the DLC lore especially good.