Is cleaning Cartridges/CD's with a Q-tip/cotton ball dipped in alcohol ok?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -

A friend of mine said cleaning the cartridge bottom end (where the chip board is at) with a Q-tip and alittle bit of alcohol is perfectly save and it works most of the timewhenever you get a blank screen..is this true? cause i wanted to clean afew SNES and Genesis cartridges that i just recieved that arent working properly, but if doing that does more harmthen good then i wont even bother trying it.

And what about CD's.. is cleaning PSX CD's or the PSX lens with a cotton ball dabbed in alcohol work with cds that have error reading problems? or that doesnt do a thing?

#2 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

alcohol on its own might be a bit too much , either dilute it, or use something with alcohol in it.

as for CDs, alcohol wouldn't do much.

#3 Posted by d_parker (1725 posts) -

Q-tip and rubbing alcohol has worked on SNES games for me.

Wouldn't try it with discs though.

#4 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Been using alcohol and Q-tips to clean cartridges for years. It's always worked for me. Just make sure you don't over use the alcohol and douse the cartridge or anything, and be sure the contacts are dry before using the game again.

As for CDs, don't use alcohol. I don't see how that would help anything. I use micro-fiber cloth to wipe mine off (those little cloths they give you with your glasses at the eye doctor's).

BTW, a little alcohol will also remove most marker markings on a cartridge or a case like when people write their names or prices on there.

#5 Posted by NodakJo2010 (1060 posts) -

If you want to go a safer route use a little windex with the qtip.

thats what I do and it makes the games work perfectly fine.

I've used both windex and rubbing alcohol and neither produced any bad results...I just prefer windex

#6 Posted by Megavideogamer (5580 posts) -

Cartridges yes. CD's windex is ok.

#7 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4729 posts) -

It's fine, but DO NOT soak the q-tip in it. I've broken a few SNES games that way.

CD's, though, I wouldn't reccomend it.

#8 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
alright, thanks guys.
#9 Posted by tab134 (338 posts) -
qtips+alcohol work well for cartridges. alcohol and discs on the other hand is a little bit more sketchy, i find that alcohol can leave a sort of ghosting on the disc. also, cotton balls usually suck in my experience, it breaks down fast and leaves paper gunk all over the disc.
#10 Posted by Marfoo (5994 posts) -
Cleaning electrical contacts with alcohol is fine, but use the highest concentration you can as water can be corrosive. You can also buy contact cleaner (sometimes called tuner cleaner or pot cleaner) at your local hardware store. Just makes sure it's completely dry before using again.
#11 Posted by Bubble_Man (3098 posts) -

I've cleaned many cartridges with alcohol and never had a problem. Use a high concentration of isopropyl alcohol and it will evaporate very quickly. On a side-note, do not use brasso or any other abrasives; they can strip the protective coating right off a cartridge's contact pins.

#12 Posted by Orlando_Magic (37447 posts) -

I use rubbing alcohol + q-tips to clean games all the time. When I had a really dirty game that still wouldn't play after cleaning it with rubbing alcohol I would open the cart and rub a pencil eraser on the contacts which worked great.

#13 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23855 posts) -
Yes it's fine. You can even dump the pcb in alcohal and it will still work.
#14 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
Yeah, I cleaned my cartridges with a q-tip & alcohol, then use the dry end to wipe off the alcohol.
#15 Posted by RossRichard (2505 posts) -

Always used windex myself.

#16 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

All these people using Windex. I can't imagine that could be good. You ever wiped a window with Windex, and was kind of lazy about it? If you don't completely wipe it, it leaves blue stuff behind. That blue stuff can't be good for your games.

#17 Posted by RossRichard (2505 posts) -

All these people using Windex. I can't imagine that could be good. You ever wiped a window with Windex, and was kind of lazy about it? If you don't completely wipe it, it leaves blue stuff behind. That blue stuff can't be good for your games.

Emerald_Warrior

I only use enough to get the qtip damp. Been working for 25+ years.

#18 Posted by SectorSix6 (201 posts) -
yes, rubbing alcohol and a Qtip is perfectly fine and works 90% of the time. As for CD's use that liquid solution and the micro fiber cloth that you buy when cleaning plasma/LCD tv's.
#19 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23855 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

RossRichard

I only use enough to get the qtip damp. Been working for 25+ years.

windex is fine

most of it is isopropnal alcohol anyway