Is Castlevania: Bloodlines that valuable?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by wildcat2000 (4499 posts) -

I have a copy in great condition that a friend gave me many years and not really being into the series Ive always planned on eventually selling it. I know its the only Genesis Castlevania and like I said its in great shape so I thought I might get a reasonable amount out of it.

However I checked ebay and Amazon and some copies are over $100. Is this right?

Mine has the case and promo poster (Lethal Enforcers, ya know how folded posters would come free sometimes). Its just missing the manual. Oh and I cut the plastic hang tab ontop cause it was in the way...oops? lol

#2 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

$100?!?!

I swear, ebay inflates it's prices even more every year, I bought my SEALED copy for less then half that price three years ago

#3 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

It's valuable for a Genesis game, but that isn't saying much; the majority of Sega Genesis games aren't worth more than $5, and the "valable" ones aren't typically over $15 in price. The same goes for Bloodlines; a good price for the loose cart is less than $20 and around $30 for a complete copy. Anybody charging $100 for a copy is just looking for a stupid collector with more money than brains to come by and buy it from them.

#4 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
There are 2 versions on ebay - one is the hard shell case with a manual with a cover in color, the other is one in the cardboard 2-piece 'case' with a manual that's black & white. Don't pay too much attention to those extremely high starting bids on ebay or the inflated prices on Amazon as those are just the seller asking price, not actual interested bids. Currently one on ebay in the hard-shell case with manual sitting at $25.00 with 10 hours left.
#5 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3839 posts) -

It's valuable for a Genesis game, but that isn't saying much; the majority of Sega Genesis games aren't worth more than $5, and the "valable" ones aren't typically over $15 in price. The same goes for Bloodlines; a good price for the loose cart is less than $20 and around $30 for a complete copy. Anybody charging $100 for a copy is just looking for a stupid collector with more money than brains to come by and buy it from them.

Shenmue_Jehuty

You must be forgetting titles like Beggar Prince, Action 52, Aerobiz Supersonic, Aero the Acrobat 2, Air Buster, Alien Soldier, Bible Adventures, Blackthorne, Bodycount, Crusader of Centy, DarXide, Double Dragon... I'll just stop there. WHat I am getting at, is that you cant touch a TON of games on the GEN or 32X for for $20. Most of the mentioned titles gor for anywhere between $30-$80 depending on completeness and condition, and I only went through A-D. I know you said "typically" however, a list of well over 50-100 games listed well above that seems somewhat typical itself.

As far as Bloodlines going for $100 or more... that seems ridiculous. I've seen it go sealed and complete for under $60 within recent memory.

If you are trying to get a copy of the Japanese Tetris look to pay upwards of $15,000, Blockbuster World Video Game can go for up to $2,000-$3,000, Nightmare Circus can go for $300, Shining Force 2 $80 or more complete,

Anyways, what I am getting at, is that some games just fetch really high prices, I am a collector and always look for a great deal (I ussually dont pass one up if I see it), however, if you ever see a retro game selling for well below "internet" value in the wild it is very wise to snatch it up! The internet inflates and deflates retro games quite regularly, so watching the fluxes and buying them in the wild (if you can find them) is often the way to go. Plus it is more exciting as well!

#6 Posted by wildcat2000 (4499 posts) -

So at best mine would be worth between maybe $20 - $30. It really is in fantastic shape. The case is the hard shell one and the cart itself is like new. No label scratches or peeling and no missing pins. The only flaw is no manual.

On a side note is the game Burning Force rare/valuable? Its an old "3D" shooter for Genesis. To my understanding it was originally an arcade game and got ported to only the Genesis. I have that too. Just the cart though. Paid like $5 for it. Not that Im selling it. Just wondering.

#7 Posted by kyuss015 (293 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

WitIsWisdom

You must be forgetting titles like Beggar Prince, Action 52, Aerobiz Supersonic, Aero the Acrobat 2, Air Buster, Alien Soldier, Bible Adventures, Blackthorne, Bodycount, Crusader of Centy, DarXide, Double Dragon... I'll just stop there. WHat I am getting at, is that you cant touch a TON of games on the GEN or 32X for for $20. Most of the mentioned titles gor for anywhere between $30-$80 depending on completeness and condition, and I only went through A-D. I know you said "typically" however, a list of well over 50-100 games listed well above that seems somewhat typical itself.

As far as Bloodlines going for $100 or more... that seems ridiculous. I've seen it go sealed and complete for under $60 within recent memory.

If you are trying to get a copy of the Japanese Tetris look to pay upwards of $15,000, Blockbuster World Video Game can go for up to $2,000-$3,000, Nightmare Circus can go for $300, Shining Force 2 $80 or more complete,

Anyways, what I am getting at, is that some games just fetch really high prices, I am a collector and always look for a great deal (I ussually dont pass one up if I see it), however, if you ever see a retro game selling for well below "internet" value in the wild it is very wise to snatch it up! The internet inflates and deflates retro games quite regularly, so watching the fluxes and buying them in the wild (if you can find them) is often the way to go. Plus it is more exciting as well!

While it is true that there are certainly some expensive Genesis games, going after loose copies of its games is not as pricey as say, the SNES. Some of the ones you mentioned are genuinely pricey (crusader of centy, Aerobiz) but the rest have some qualifier to them (Like Beggar Prince, it's a "new" game, Action 52 being an unoffical, etc), and some are Pal 32X games that are another beast altogether. Then of course there those freak games like the Tetris title, but that's more for the die hard collector; anyone looking to getting a starting set of Genesis games just to play can do so relatively affordably. Even me, I prefer to get Genesis games CIB since its not too bad compared to say the NES or SNES, as their complete CIB can get pricey.

That might have been what Shenmue was going after. It's a lot easier on the wallet going after complete Sega Genesis titles than it is against most Nintendo Consoles. That can change easily, as some of us might go after Imports (Alien Soldier, like you mentioned), the Add-on systems (CD,32X) or other type of titles, as these games can get pricey, Sure, there is MUSHA, Crusader of Centy and others, but thats not as bad as say, the SNES which is really not buyer friendly right now.

#8 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

WitIsWisdom

You named most of the exceptions, but most valuable Genesis games aren't worth more then $20.

#9 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3839 posts) -

Yeah, you guys have a point that right now the GEN is way more affordable then the SNES and even the NES in most cases. Finding complete GEN games is much more common then finding NES/SNES games due to the fact that most people just threw the cardboard boxes away. However the higher prices with the game carts themselves is anybodies guess.