Inquisition, am I the only one?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks this is the worst Dragon Age?

It took me forever, but I finally finished this game last week. I had the problem of having to force myself to play it. It was an okay game, but it didn't feel like Dragon Age to me. I think I would have liked the game a lot more if I wasn't expecting to play a Dragon Age game.

I know most people didn't like Dragon Age II, I don't happen to be one of those people. It wasn't nearly as good as the first and lost a lot of the charm and cool things that made the first great, but it still felt enough like Dragon Age to me. My biggest issue with it was the recycled assets... I don't know how they even felt comfortable releasing that game with as much recycling that occurred.

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

@MuD3: I wouldn't know if its the worst dragon age or not seeing as how it is the first one I have played. However, I found it to be boring and repetitive, and was basically forcing myself to play it too in order to try and justify paying $60 for it. I didn't finish it and I ended up selling it.

I personally do not understand all the hype and praise surrounding the game...but to each their own.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

I'm currently playing it actually. I got to the Hinterlands recently and was amazed by the gargantuan amount of things to do. I started doing some side quests and more and more kept popping up. I didn't like the side quests much but I didn't want to finish the story so fast. I went online and found out people saying to get out of Hinterlands ASAP before you burn yourself out. I did exactly that and boy was I glad I did. The Hinterlands made me wanna stop playing but after progressing the story I found it to be absolutely epic.

I really love the combat in this game. I started off in hard mode and I turn off all AI tactics because I want to be the one controlling all the members. I love it when I win tense fights with epic strategies especially when it involves taking advantage of the environment like for example putting archers in elevated spots and getting the warrior to defend a chokehold. Epic.

Idk, I don't care if it's Dragon Age or not. This is my first Dragon Age anway. I'm finding this to be an astounding game so far.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

i love Inquisition, way much better than DA2

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

I have DA.I 25 hours i love it best of the series

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Personally I found it to be the best one. I played it on the Xbox One and it looked great. I also really liked the gameplay as well as the size and scope of the game. I too really enjoyed Dragon Age II with the recycled assets being the only real drawback.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@blamix99 said:

i love Inquisition, way much better than DA2

indeed, da 2 was terriblem but the better one is definitely origins, this game is huge but is mostly filled with boring fetch quests, the story is weak and boring (that orlais ball was boring as fuk, seriously bioware?) and it doesn't have focus, which is the downfall of most open world games.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Inquisition is a terrible game, but I'm not sure if it's worse than 2.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Codex review is out..

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9752

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I bet a lot of people that hate DA:I are those that 1) try to do all the side quests and 2) try to do them sequentially (i.e. "I'm gonna clear out hinterlands first. Then I'm gonna clear out fallow mire, then I'm..."). That stuff is filler, and in my opinion should only be done when/if it fits in with the personality you are projecting on your character. If your character wouldn't care or at least not have time at that moment given the bigger issue they are trying to resolve, then they shouldn't do it. Maybe can come back later. But the game flows better, is more coherent, and you get to explore diverse areas more frequently, if you stick to the main quest line more closely and only do side quests as desired.

I don't think it's a perfect game. But I've had so much fun with it.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i didnt hate it, but i found the game very boring and couldnt get myself to beat it. maybe i just wasnt in the mode to play a dragon age game cause i loved the 1st and even the 2nd one.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@xantufrog: I did all the side quest I could in each area before moving on to the next and had no problem. I would say you of course have the "Contrarian" group, which see a highly regarded game and are compelled to dislike it for no other reason than that. You have the "DAO lovers" that anything that isn't a rerelease of DAO is regarded with hate, even if the game is leaps and bounds better than DAO(which isn't that hard to do)

I personally didn't look at the side quest like that and I will give BW credit, they wove the side quest into the main theme well. Side quest would net you agents for the Inquisition, spread influence and such because you needed to build this organizationn. Its not like say DAO, the Darkspawn are kicking down your door and for no reason other than a little gold you were doing sidequest. I thought it was the best DA game, it side stepped running directly back to cliche fantasy plots like DAO, it avoided the issues of DA2 with the recycle environments and this time, the big decisions you made actually made sense for your character to make.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BboyStatix

@Sepewrath: I think doing too many side quests would make you over leveled for the story thus removing the challenge. This is my first dragon age and I was starting to feel burnt out doing too many quests in hinterlands. Only when I decided to progress the main quest did I realize how fun this game is.

Side quests aren't bad actually. I only have some complaints with the fetch quests. However, now that I think of it. Fetch quests give you incentive to explore which given the beautiful environments is a great idea. Sadly I'm playing the xbox360 version so it doesn't look that great :(

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

There are 7 billion people on the planet. I'm sure there's someone else like you out there.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath

@BboyStatix: In most RPG, the first area is kind of the most boring one, the enemy encounters in other area's were leaps and bounds better than the generic bears and bandits you encountered in the Hinterlands. And without the side quest, you leveled to slowly to take on things like the dragons.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I did enjoy the other two dragon age more than Inquisition. After a while, I gave up on doing most of the side quests in DA:I because I wanted to speed the game up.

I did not enjoy the combat in it.

I hate the level up system. It offer one choice a level and too often the choice is ability you do not want but need to get to the ability you want or just a dump .The only way to affect your base stat was to pick a skill tree node that also have a power with it. The base stats does is not affected by any stats changes from the gear. This fetish for skill tree need to stop.

I played CoD:AW just before I started to play DA:I, and I enjoy that power up system more that DA:I. I say as a RPG I enjoy CoD:AW, a FPS, so much more that DA:I.

I avoid talking about moral pick and interactive story because at this point I feel that are hurting RPG, and wanted to keep that out of this.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Sepewrath Perhaps I wasn't very clear - I definitely don't mind the sidequests. I was just noting that they are only worth it insofar as you find them enjoyable and pertinent to your role playing. If they are sucking the fun out of it for one person, my advice would be to just ignore them until that gamer comes across one they do like. I doubt Bioware intended everyone to kill every single possible side-quest in this beast (although of course they know a sub-population of gamers can't NOT 100% it) and I think the intent was just to give the gamer that vast amount of quests for more flexibility in how they CHOOSE to experience the game.

As an aside I can't imagine 100% Hinterlands before moving elsewhere! I'm amazed you stuck that approach out. Too dry for me, and after a while you start to lose track of the plot because you haven't come in contact with it since 100 fetch quests ago. I had to leave, do some main story stuff, see some new sights, and come back when I was in the mood for more Hinterlands... no regrets on that decision

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sepewrath

@xantufrog: Nah I had no problem keeping track of the quest and it leveled me up enough so that when I went on with the story and visited new areas. I wasn't be killed every 5 minutes, I mean I think I did just about every side quest and my level was in the upper 20's and I was a Knight Enchanter--the dragons still made me work a little to beat them. Also I was trying to beat the dragon in the Hinterlands so I needed some extra juice, I did have to give up on that though and leave because it was beating my face in.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BboyStatix

@xantufrog: Yeah your approach is the best. Actually I go with this approach in most games. I do a few sidequests, progress the story, do some sidequests and so on. I feel it keeps the experience fresh. The problem arises when people play the game to 100% it. They want that achievement no matter how tiresome or boring it is. Although, I must admit in AC Rogue, I really do enjoy all the side activities so I pretty much do everything lol!

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i quit this game after a few hrs of playing. I just had no fun running stupid little missions they kept giving me to do. felt like a chore.