Injuries from gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RE4WiiGirl
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts

Have any of you ever gotten an injury from playing a game? Let's face it... we all have.

My most recent is i'm assuming from playing a game on my PC (with xbox controller) for over 3 hours with no break. I now somehow have this sort of muscle or bone injury on my left index finger knuckle. It's been like this for 3 weeks and I don't know how to fit it and I haven't played a game since (I know right 3 weeks, it's been TOUGH!). Have any of you had this before, what did you to to fix the problem?

When I was much younger, i'd get blisters on my thumb from playing 1080 Snowboarding on my 64. You know that Trick Attack where you're in the Half Pipe and have to get the highest score? Well I did that for hours and eventually my thumb would hurt so much i'd have to either stop, or i'd just cover it with a bandaid and continue lol. Needless to say I eventually got blisters most times anyway.

How about you guys?

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
I used to play a lot of WiiSports,and WiiFit with my whole family. Damn that's where I got a minor muscle and bone problem,but I think it's fine,I drank supplements shortly after that
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Have any of you ever gotten an injury from playing a game? Let's face it... we all have.

My most recent is i'm assuming from playing a game on my PC (with xbox controller) for over 3 hours with no break. I now somehow have this sort of muscle or bone injury on my left index finger knuckle. It's been like this for 3 weeks and I don't know how to fit it and I haven't played a game since (I know right 3 weeks, it's been TOUGH!). Have any of you had this before, what did you to to fix the problem?

RE4WiiGirl

What kind of pain is it? If it's tingling, numbing or some kind of paralyzed feeling, it could be carple tunnel, which can be cured with a probiotic injection in your hand. If it's a deep joint pain, it could be some kind of arthritis.

The fact that the pain is persisting after 3 weeks means that something is definitely wrong. Go see a doctor. 

ZomBViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ZomBViperKing
Member since 2013 • 100 Posts
I have never gotten injured from playing a video game.
MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
Got some hand cramps from playing Guitar Hero for too long, and got some pretty serious blisters on my palm from playing the first Mario Party. PAIN IS NOTHING, WINNING IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts
Funny you should mention this. The day before yesterday, I started playing borderlands 2 on my 360 after I got in from work around 2pm. I was trying to beat the Hyperion battle arena before the final story mission, and it's 5 levels higher. So I tried and tried and tried.. Took me roughly about 6 straight frustrating hours. Afterwards, I noticed my right wrist was hella sore from the base of my thumb, all across the bottom and into my upper arm. I guess I was getting a little too into it and tensed up too much, or something. I never noticed until I beat it and was able to relax finally. Two days later, it's still super sore... And one time when I was 16, I threw a temper tantrum while playing WoW. I died running gnomer one too many times.. And I punched through the wall in my room and broke my pinky.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

my arms were sore from metroid prime 3.  then again, i was weak as grass back then

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

No. And I am a gamer for 14 years.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#9 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

My thumbs were often too sore to play back in the early days of NES. Had to ration my time.

I get tendinitis in my wrists and forearms from prolonged sessions these days.

No real injuries. When I get frustrated, I just power down and go outside. I don't like breaking things I paid good money for.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#10 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I haven't gotten any serious injuries. Just blisters on my thumb after playing a game too long using the D-pad instead of the analog stick.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#11 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i gamed for a few weeks during my summer break and managed to cause some stress to my wrists and forearms with all the gaming. So i had to do exercises not to get any further injury. But that is about it, it vanished after a couple of days of stretching my wrist everyday
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#12 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
I once had my finger bleeding from pressing the shoulder buttons of the Gamecube controller too rapid. I was speed running F-Zero GX with snaking and after 3 hours my hands got slippery and when I looked at it I had a cut in the intersection of the part of my finger in contact with the button and the part that wasn't. I also have synovial cyst from playing.
isv666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 isv666
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

The only inury I've ever gotten was from the ol' N64 controllers.  Sometimes when playing some game that required you rotating the analog stick, I'd use my palm and it'd get rubbed a little raw.  Beyond that, I can't think of much else.  Maybe some cramps if I played too long.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
I have never gotten injured from playing a video game. ZomBViperKing
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Yeah no, I've never had an injury of any sort from gaming and I've been gaming for about 16 years.  The only type of strain I've had was eye strain from the room being too dark, but then I kind of stopped for a few minutes, made it lighter in the room and got back to it.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#16 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts
no I never had a injury playing video games
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I was playing Kinect Adventures a few years ago and I jumped. When I came back down I heard a very loud pop. So I stopped and held still because I knew that was not a natural sound, I took a step forward and found out what it was. Took off my socks and there was the tip of the toe closest to the big toe, pointing right up at my face. So I just reached down, closed my eyes, and pulled on it until I heard a sound like breaking a kit kat bar underwater. I screamed obscenities for a minute straight and when I looked at my toe it was back in the correct order. It turned jet black for a few days and hurt like all get out.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

Let's face it... we all have.RE4WiiGirl

No, in the 20+ years I've been gaming I've never been injured from it.  Maybe a very mild finger cramp but that's it.

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#19 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts
Not really injured but i do get sore hands from playing my 3DS too much sometimes, it goes away when i stop playing though.
RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RE4WiiGirl
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts

[QUOTE="RE4WiiGirl"]

Jimn_tonic

What kind of pain is it? If it's tingling, numbing or some kind of paralyzed feeling, it could be carple tunnel, which can be cured with a probiotic injection in your hand. If it's a deep joint pain, it could be some kind of arthritis.

The fact that the pain is persisting after 3 weeks means that something is definitely wrong. Go see a doctor. 

No tingling, numbing or paralized feelings. It was just a sore, stretched kind of annoyance. It was like, when I bent my finger, it pulled and hurt around the knucle area. Somehow though it has gone away today, after nearly 4 weeks, insane?! Yes I DID go to a dr after the 1st week... waited for 45m to get in, told her what was wrong, what might be the causes. You know what I get, "put some Voltaren on the area, dont play video games for so long"..................... :|
Real f***ing help you were lady! But anyway its better now, 4 weeks without games.... ugh! Cant wait to get back into it :D 

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I have sometimes had headaches from playing Call Of Duty too long but thats about it!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I've gotten my fair share of injuries, but nothing gaming related. I remember the first time I heard about Nintendo thumb. A buddy at college (back in the early 90's) mentioned a professional basketball player missing a game because of Nintendo thumb. We though he was making the whole thing up (including the term) but he was telling the truth :shock:.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
[QUOTE="ZomBViperKing"]I have never gotten injured from playing a video game. wis3boi

Bretar81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bretar81
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Only problem I have ever had is playing on my mates Wii, swinging the controller and breaking my hand on the door frame :D. Never liked the Wii any way!

TaciturnBengal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TaciturnBengal
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I have never gotten hurt while playing video games, even with the Nintendo Wii and the Wii-mote.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

No, and I've done some pretty unhealthy shit (12 hour DotA 1 marathon, for instance). Most I've ever gotten are sores on my thumbs from using an analog stick too much.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Don't know if this counts but I sometimes wear sunglasses even at night when gaming to dim the glare and flashing colors for scenes like Battlefield 3's ridiculous intro before you get the start menu. All those bright screens and flashing colors can sometimes do a number on my pupils even if I'm in a brief session.