Indie Dev's Publication Deal Hit by Steam Greenlight Hurdle

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19389 posts) -

I am not sure whether this was picked up by anyone at GameSpot, but recently an indie developer hit some snags in its attempt to publish a game.

Gamasutra appears to have caught this news first. An indie developer, which started a Steam Greenlight push for its game earlier but which has not concluded, has later obtained a publishing deal with Adult Swim and wants to publish the game without having to go through Steam Greenlight. Steam Greenlight officials cross-referenced their application to publish, and discovered the Steam Greenlight page. Code Avarice was told to follow through with the Steam Greenlight process anyway.

I suppose that Code Avarice would seem like just some small fish compared to other higher-profile indie developers, but I personally am not comfortable with this issue; on one hand, it seems to me like an indie dev is trying to work around procedures that it started and should follow, and on the other, Valve's Steam Greenlight division is putting up a bureaucratic obstacle.

What do you think about this incident (low under the radar as it may be)?

#2 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

Steam Greenlight will improve over time. They can't afford not to; if it's too much of a hassle in general, they'll lose to a rising competitor. PC gaming is open and ever-changing, Steam just happens to offer the best prices and service for now.

#3 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19389 posts) -

PC gaming is open and ever-changing, Steam just happens to offer the best prices and service for now.ReddestSkies

Indeed, for now - and I really, really hope it stays that way, even though I am not buying from Steam anymore.

#4 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

I heard about that. It's a bit silly, but I can understand how Valve feels they need to stick with their own rules. It's up to Valve to refine their service and rules so that it makes the most sense to everyone. It seems that in this particular case, the developer acted hastily and placed the game on Greenlight way too soon without any kind of a plan or forethought.

#5 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19389 posts) -

It seems that in this particular case, the developer acted hastily and placed the game on Greenlight way too soon without any kind of a plan or forethought.UpInFlames

I have a very strong impression of that too.