Inaba runs Platinum Games like he is in Danger of Starving...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

You run the company like you're in danger of starving

Development studios need to stay lean to survive and not succumb to bloat, argues Atsushi Inaba. Speaking to us for an in-depth profile on Platinum Games in our new issue, E246, the studio producer has expressed his fears that the team could grow too large, endangering the quirky, creative atmosphere that has produced the likes of Vanquish and Bayonetta.

I dont know if its right to say were lean per se, he tells us. But I do think an important thing for an independent developer like us is to be on the edge of starving. I mean, you run the company like youre in danger of starving the whole time, and thats the right way to do it.

For Inaba, a creeping sense of impersonality is a major concern. When Platinum Games started out in 2006 it had 50 staff; six years later the studio has tripled in size, hitting 200 when the contractors are counted. Theres actually a lot of people working in the company Ive never had a sit-down chat with, which I find odd, he says. One day you look around and suddenly theres hundreds of people working on something and youre not quite sure where they all came from.

The Platinum directors also make a slight dig at their previous employer Capcom. The company made great hay of the fact that it had a team of 600 people working on Resident Evil 6 for periods of its development. But Hideki Kamiya is amusingly dismissive of such large projects. I heard that there were a huge amount of people working on Devil May Cry 4, just an enormous amount of people, he observes, dryly. Didnt help them, did it?

The team also gives a rather startling insight into its management practices. President and CEO Tatsuya Minami is described by Inaba as, explosive broad-minded and violent a violent visionary.

Meanwhile Metal Gear Rising: Revenegance director Kenji Sato says of working for Inuba, The first word is carrot the second word is stick. And there arent very many carrots. Mr Inaba is always making you push yourself, and right now in my position I certainly felt that. A few carrots and a lot of sticks.

That is the correct balance, responds Inaba.

#2 Posted by SolidTy (43850 posts) -

OP : Inaba runs Platinum Games like he is in danger of starving...

------

I have a similar response to my personal projects, it's just a way to get the most out of my people, myself, etc.

I can think of a few examples in my life where I felt/did the same and applied this to my schoolwork, my job, etc.

Here's one inspirational example of many :

I got my grandmother to dig a six foot trench, and she claimed she couldn't do it. However, I didn't let her come in for a meal until she got the job done, and you know what? She did it with only a little help from her sympathic great-grandkids. : P

Inaba is right, and this philosophy works for family and other business' as well.

Also, Hideki Kamiya (RE2, DMC1, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta 1) is my favorite Platinum developer and I'm looking forward to his next game, Wonderful 101.

#3 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
The Japanese have an excellent work ethic so this story isn't all that revelatory when you take their entire culture into account as a whole. They have a totally different outlook when it comes to their professions; something other cultures might find beneficial as well.
#4 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -
However, I didn't let her come in for a meal until she got the job done, and you know what? She did it with only a little help from her sympathic great-grandkids.SolidTy
What the heck? He's right. The big publishers spend money like it's going out of style and waste so much talent and focus.
#5 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Platinum certainly does a good job of keeping themselves on the edge of starvation. They made an M rated exclusive on the Wii, followed that up with a intensely Japanese DMC type game that was functionally exclusive to the X360 (which was far less hospitable to such games than the PS3), then followed that up with a multiplatform 5 hour shooter (which packed an amazing amount of repetition into those 5 hours) and which unsurprisingly got buried, now they are making another M rated exclusive on the Wii U. The only game they are making which has a chance of success is Revengeance, which would be their first commercial success.

They are tremendously talented, so studios keep giving them chances, but they are consistently stupid about which genres and platforms they target.

#6 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Platinum certainly does a good job of keeping themselves on the edge of starvation. They made an M rated exclusive on the Wii, followed that up with a intensely Japanese DMC type game that was functionally exclusive to the X360 (which was far less hospitable to such games than the PS3), then followed that up with a multiplatform 5 hour shooter (which packed an amazing amount of repetition into those 5 hours) and which unsurprisingly got buried, now they are making another M rated exclusive on the Wii U. The only game they are making which has a chance of success is Revengeance, which would be their first commercial success.

They are tremendously talented, so studios keep giving them chances, but they are consistently stupid about which genres and platforms they target.

CarnageHeart

Bayonetta 2 is being funded and published by Nintendo that is why it is exclusive.

I think The Wonderful 101 could be successful on the Wii U it is a new IP from Nintendo and developed by Platinum Games.

#7 Posted by SolidTy (43850 posts) -

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

OP : Inaba runs Platinum Games like he is in danger of starving...

------

I have a similar response to my personal projects, it's just a way to get the most out of my people, myself, etc.

I can think of a few examples in my life where I felt/did the same and applied this to my schoolwork, my job, etc.

Here's one inspirational example of many :

I got my grandmother to dig a six foot trench, and she claimed she couldn't do it. However, I didn't let her come in for a meal until she got the job done, and you know what? She did it with only a little help from her sympathic great-grandkids. : P

Inaba is right, and this philosophy works for family and other business' as well.

Also, Hideki Kamiya (RE2, DMC1, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta 1) is my favorite Platinum developer and I'm looking forward to his next game, Wonderful 101.guynamedbilly

What the heck? He's right. The big publishers spend money like it's going out of style and waste so much talent and focus.

I made an invisible :P ": P" in green above, although it originally looked like this " : P "that you missed when you quoted and deleted the " :P ". ;) :P

#8 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Bayonetta 2 is being funded and published by Nintendo that is why it is exclusive.

I think The Wonderful 101 could be successful on the Wii U it is a new IP from Nintendo and developed by Platinum Games.

I get that. The commercial prospects are dim, but Bayonetta 2 wouldn't happen if Nintendo wasn't picking up the tab. Still, if Platinum had been bright and either made the PS3 version (the platform where that subgenre is the most popular) themselves then Bayonetta would have been successful enough that Sega wouldn't have hesitated to approve a follow-up. Instead, Platinum made the X360 version their focus (X360 is a great platform whose users have varied tastes, but they haven't demonstrated much of an appetite for DMC type games) and let Sega's interns handle the PS3 version (which still outsold the X360 version and would have done a lot better if it wasn't terrible).

And you're right about Wonderful 101. It might become a NMH type launch window hit.

#9 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]However, I didn't let her come in for a meal until she got the job done, and you know what? She did it with only a little help from her sympathic great-grandkids.guynamedbilly

DMC4 was profoundly disappointing but that had more to do with the fact the development team was out of ideas than it did with the size of the team. Too many companies let the popularity of a franchise dictate whether or not a sequel gets made, paying no mind to the fact that the developer may be out of ideas or want to move on to different things. Of course, the developer's lack of ideas/interest tends to damage the franchise, which eventually solves the 'You'll make sequels as long as the franchise is popular' problem :P.

#10 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

I love Platinum Games, they know what's what.

#11 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -

I made an invisible :P ": P" in green above, although it originally looked like this " : P "that you missed when you quoted and deleted the " :P ". ;) :P

SolidTy
Ha, running Gamespot dark mode made that hard to see and you said it in such a matter of fact way I thought that it could be true. :)
#12 Posted by SolidTy (43850 posts) -

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

guynamedbilly

Ha, running Gamespot dark mode made that hard to see and you said it in such a matter of fact way I thought that it could be true. :)

Bwahahaha!

That was the intention, I was relying on Dark Mode to cover my ": P". :P

#13 Posted by BranKetra (48781 posts) -
Platinum Games is doing well. Their comments shoild be considered by anyone working towards a goal.
#14 Posted by bad_fur_day (1988 posts) -

"Dear mr. Inaba, quit ruining metal gear with your epic untalentedness.

Thank you."

#15 Posted by Justin_G (201 posts) -

^ you don't even have a clue what you're talking about.

#16 Posted by bad_fur_day (1988 posts) -

^ Platinium games ruining metal gear. Inaba is a producer there.

Actually I do.

Do you know what your talking about is a better question.

#17 Posted by Justin_G (201 posts) -

yes, i do. it's called an industry... and they work on what are called GAMES.

you maybe have heard of this concept before... things change. to keep things interesting and keep people wanting more. to do this, people ADD more to their franchises and if it's QUALITY, your silly opinion doens't matter. it's the BEST THING FOR YOUR BUSINESS. plus, it's a NEW and altogether DIFFERENT game. just like every MG game after the original... and it works and is QUALITY.

so you don't have a SINGLE clue.

#18 Posted by bad_fur_day (1988 posts) -

Mmmm, like they did with Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry.

And they all suck now.

#19 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
Platinum Games has largely taken the top spot of my favorite developer recently. Yeah, it kind of sucks that I probably won't be able to enjoy Bayonetta 2, but their games are consistently fun and well made without taking themselves too seriously. They maintain that "feel" of being created by a bunch of people that just love games rather than by people just looking to make games where they can check boxes.
#20 Posted by Justin_G (201 posts) -

Mmmm, like they did with Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry.

And they all suck now.

bad_fur_day
herp.... and a-derp. when did Platinum Games get involved in any of those games you even mentioned. quick answer... NONE. you are... DERP. a herp da DERP-DEE-DUM. DEE DUM DEE DIDILY DOO. whoa. i can be as derp as you.
#21 Posted by NINEINCH-Tool (118 posts) -

And they all suck now.

bad_fur_day

you are a mo-ron, please recede your flatulent existence into the **** bowl of your nativity

#22 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
Ooooo, a forum fight! Kick his ass, Sea Bass!
#23 Posted by Justin_G (201 posts) -

:roll:

#24 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -

The company made great hay of the fact that it had a team of 600 people working on Resident Evil 6 for periods of its development.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Great hay?

#25 Posted by bad_fur_day (1988 posts) -

You guys are seroiusly not very good at flaming people, lol. Grammar would help.

#26 Posted by Justin_G (201 posts) -

Can we get back to the issue at hand, such as you naming off a bunch of games that you claimed Platinum Games have ruined? (Even if they had nothing to do with those games in any way, shape or form?)

Where do you get your information from, anyway? Out of your nether regions?

#27 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

The company made great hay of the fact that it had a team of 600 people working on Resident Evil 6 for periods of its development.

meetroid8

Great hay?

I looked it up and "Make Hay" means "To turn to one's advantage" So they said they made great hay which meant they turned it to their advantage of the fact that Resident Evil 6 had 600 people working on it and it still was bad.
#28 Posted by NINEINCH-Tool (118 posts) -

You guys are seroiusly not very good at flaming people, lol. Grammar would help.

bad_fur_day

you are seriously very very good at flaming people.....because you're a flamer. Now pull your head out of your ass and interact with the world.