In response to the "last gen of consoles" article

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hikaruai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 hikaruai
Member since 2005 • 35 Posts

That article got me thinking about the clear decline in gaming and something came to me that may not be obviously apparent to everyone. Third party developers neglecting Nintendo was a HUGE setback to the industry. Nintendo is the last console maker continuously trying to push boundaries and staying innovative. Say what you will about their peripherals and Wii motes, etc, but whether you hate it or love it you can't deny that it offers you something that the rest of the consoles don't.

Sony and Microsoft started duking it out over power, but they are essentially two sides of the same coin now with a very few distinguishing exclusives between them. They both merely offer the same "AAA" titles which are pretty much just games built for the broadest appeal possible and lack any artistic integrity. Regardless, the few that are worth playing, the best version is always the PC anyway. We are in an age now however that modern PCs topple over the specs that any console can hope to accomplish and remain profitable. There really is no point in this day and age to have three versions of the same game, especially when there is always one definitive version anyway. If the Playstation and Xbox can't offer anything different than what the PC can offer, there is no point in them being there anymore. Sure, competition can offer more choice, but instead everything has been streamlined to offer more of the same. I say diversify or GTFO.

Avatar image for renouncereality
Renouncereality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Renouncereality
Member since 2014 • 87 Posts

Hmm I don't overly agree with this viewpoint. I am more of a console player and prefer the big titles on my xbox over my PC. There is plenty of games on offer that don't fit the AAA category and I personally skip the next big FPS sequel in favour of something with a bit more substance.

I think the reactionary Indie revolution in recent years has actually revived gaming in a big way. There are so many good indie games out their that cost barely anything and can be played on most low end PC's (I play them on a laptop). Therefore I don't see a clear decline in gaming, just a shift and re-birth away from AAA titles to more thoughtful low budget games.

I think there is room for both in the industry and I love my big game releases as much as the next person but gamers will just have to expand their horizons to find fresh experiences because they are definitely out there.

hikaruai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hikaruai
Member since 2005 • 35 Posts

@renouncereality: oh I agree that it is nice to see a resurgence of indie games and I have been enjoying some of them, but they can easily be on any platform as well. I brought up the AAA titles as in the article they discussed the overbudgeting and problems galore these have been causing, I wanted to elaborate that with these titles, they always run with higher resolution and better fps on the PC offering the best experience. I just don't see what Sony and Microsoft are offering different that can justify the need for their consoles anymore. For instance, back in the 16 bit days there were two completely different experiences than you would get from gaming on PC vs a console...transport forward to late 90s early 2000s that still held true, even if only functionality wise; Starcraft was better suited to play with mouse and keyboard on the PC and Tekken Tag with a controller or joystick right. Technology has improved rapidly however, and modern computers have bridged that gap. Even the big games of today that are graphic intensive and fast can be played with a more complete experience on the PC, from FPS to resolution or whatever. If modern consoles are dying, I don't think it is due to mobile gaming and stuff like that as that is a completely different market, I think it is due to lack of what they can offer now.

TLDR: What does Sony and Microsofts new consoles offer that the PC doesn't?

Avatar image for renouncereality
Renouncereality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 Renouncereality
Member since 2014 • 87 Posts

@hikaruai: For me I think that buying and upgrading a PC is a lot of effort and quite costly compared to consoles. I know that some people will disagree with this but there is a definite barrier towards gaming on a PC for people who don't know the ins and outs of making their own rigs. I like the feeling of buying a console and knowing that every game i buy will be instantly playable without having to upgrade. There is always going to be a gap in graphics but that honestly doesn't bother me that much. Plus there are some exclusives that I have grown fond of over the years that you need a console to play.

I think if you take the time and effort (and dollars) that is required to make a good PC then it would be worth it and it has almost everything you need for a great gaming experience. I would actually love to have an amazing rig but I haven't felt the need to get one..yet.