In Need of a New Generation of MMO/MMORPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tompkins5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By tompkins5
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Seriously, I think everyone is sick and tired of the same useless quest running with stupid stories just to give that game some content. Too many mmo's today have way too many quests where 80% of the time spent playing the game is killing 69 mushrooms and collecting 20 mushrooms caps and crap like that. I want and i know lot of people that want a new generation of mmo's that have quality content and quality quests like a lot of elder scrolls games, or maybe quests that have some kind of purpose.... idk. But not only the quest quality, but the combat. A combat that doesn't rely on just button mashing hot-keys that do some boring attack. For example, WOW had a very boring combat system, and many mmo's followed after. One game with a more natural combat feel to it was Neverwinter. So, if anyone knows of an mmo that includes more of a skyrim-like quest line feel and a combat system like neverwinter, I'd love to hear. I hear ESO will have a great quality of quests where you don't waste time killing useless animals for their skin like other mmo's... i just don't particularly like the combat system of TES series, or any Bethesda game in that matter. Dark souls did amazing with the combat... just saying

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts

Same here..I'm an older gamer.67........I want to role-play and killing the same thing over and over is boring..

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@tompkins5 said:

Seriously, I think everyone is sick and tired of the same useless quest running with stupid stories just to give that game some content. Too many mmo's today have way too many quests where 80% of the time spent playing the game is killing 69 mushrooms and collecting 20 mushrooms caps and crap like that. I want and i know lot of people that want a new generation of mmo's that have quality content and quality quests like a lot of elder scrolls games, or maybe quests that have some kind of purpose.... idk. But not only the quest quality, but the combat. A combat that doesn't rely on just button mashing hot-keys that do some boring attack. For example, WOW had a very boring combat system, and many mmo's followed after. One game with a more natural combat feel to it was Neverwinter. So, if anyone knows of an mmo that includes more of a skyrim-like quest line feel and a combat system like neverwinter, I'd love to hear. I hear ESO will have a great quality of quests where you don't waste time killing useless animals for their skin like other mmo's... i just don't particularly like the combat system of TES series, or any Bethesda game in that matter. Dark souls did amazing with the combat... just saying

I think It's time for some seriously in-depth espionage or more heist-oriented, 'ocean's eleven' MMOs. GTAV was just a starter vision. We should be going full throttle on this. There are so many levels of tension, intelligence gathering and mechanics in the spy genre. Think of all the 'Alpha Protocol' style classes you could have clashing in real time. Info Broker, Freelancer, Case Officer, the Plant, The fixer, The hitman, the tech etc. Itd be interesting to see user generated international incidents occur online.

Although one could argue that 'corrupted blood' debuff was too much of international incident already.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Neverwinter combat is better than most. I liked the way they made each of the classes feel different, but at the same time I disliked how each class was bound to single weapon choice to achieve that difference. However, Neverwinter also has the typical MMO quest structure of hopping from quest node to quest node, talking to everybody with an exclamation point over their head, and then finishing off the area with an instance. The story is nonexistent.

I'd like to see a dev go all out and design a game where each class had its own gameplay structure. It's time to achieve with gameplay what before we only attempted to achieve with gear-checks and animations.

I think part of the problem with MMOs is that they want to establish a long term brand but they also want to be "accessible" which is a marketing goal that just needs to die. How do you expect someone to get years of enjoyment out of your MMO if they can learn everything, accomplish everything in a week? GW2 made this mistake by taking a deep, robust skill system and boiling it down to utter simplicity. I played GW for over 5 years. I can't even get six months out of GW2.

tompkins5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tompkins5

@Ish_basic: All in all, i just want to see an MMO with a combat mixture of Dark Souls and Neverwinter, and a story complexity like The Elder Scrolls... Hopefully ESO will fulfill this void.

tompkins5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tompkins5

@platinumking320 This is true, I have been a fan of the sly cooper series, Assassins creed, and many more. I feel that the game Dishonored was on the right track, but it was just too much... or something, something was just off with that game. Very steam-punkish. I'd like to see a better flowing game like Dishonored? Either way, I nearly beat the game, but it just turned from fun to work way too fast and i lost interest before i could finish the game.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@tompkins5: I guess the realization came upon me when I was watching that show Homeland, and this was after finishing GTA5. Games like that and Payday, the devs realized that theres an interesting system, and a lot of potential content, investing in the tools and people necessary to build up a heist, and then execute it and hope it all works. It can even be more tense for the player because instead of receiving objectives, now it becomes your entire investment to make sure the op is successful.

I look at Homeland and say. Here's Saul and Carrie setting up operations which are even more nuanced and risky. Imagine that in a Sci Fi Spy MMO where you could risk bad relations with a species or start unnecessary large scale wars, The wrong NPC asset could go rogue, or get captured and risk your progress. Or some could start up investigations and oversight committees that'll run into your in-game cash. Heck what if there was a game that played like Bourne film. Chasing in third person, and tracking or digging up leads against the clock in Real Time Strategy mode when your target leaves the country.

It sounds hard to make and it might be several completely different games but there's a lot of potential there.