I'm really not understanding the appeal of ICO

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

I will probably get some angry people about this... I've recently started playing ICO for the first time (on the PS3 HD collection). So far, it's almost put me to sleep. I know that this game is supposed to have a very "artistic" and "emotional" appeal, and I suppose I can see that through the fact that you're a little kid trapped in a big prison with this quiet girl, and with the fact that there's no music really, making it very ambient.

Still, all I've experienced so far is jumping across gaps, absolutely the most bland platforming ever, and pushing/pulling crates. The most annoying things about this game is having to pull that girl around with you everywhere you go, waiting for her to run to you if she's far away, and having to listen to this kid constantly saying "OPAH! OPAH!" every time you call her. I've been playing for a good hour or two, and I'm not interested at all. What do you guys think of this, expain why you love this game. I must be missing something.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts
I remember when the collection came out and gametrailers discussed it in the show "invisible walls." Most of them had never played the games before the collection was out and they absolutely trashed the games. They essentially didn't find the appeal of them. In my mind the fact that you're playing ICO 12 years after it was released probably has a lot to do with why you can't enjoy it. It's one of those games that hasn't necessarily aged badly, but it was better experience when it came out. I have very fond memories of the both sotc and ico, but I admit that had I originally played them in 2013, I wouldn't get their appeal.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rubber-chicken
I remember when the collection came out and gametrailers discussed it in the show "invisible walls." Most of them had never played the games before the collection was out and they absolutely trashed the games. They essentially didn't find the appeal of them. In my mind the fact that you're playing ICO 12 years after it was released probably has a lot to do with why you can't enjoy it. It's one of those games that hasn't necessarily aged badly, but it was better experience when it came out. I have very fond memories of the both sotc and ico, but I admit that had I originally played them in 2013, I wouldn't get their appeal. CoquiNegro
That probably is exactly why. The element of "being alone" or the supposed "artistic appeal" in this game isn't enough of for me to appreciate it; it just feels very empty and dry. But honestly I've played games around that old that have been much more engaging.
CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CoquiNegro
[QUOTE="CoquiNegro"]I remember when the collection came out and gametrailers discussed it in the show "invisible walls." Most of them had never played the games before the collection was out and they absolutely trashed the games. They essentially didn't find the appeal of them. In my mind the fact that you're playing ICO 12 years after it was released probably has a lot to do with why you can't enjoy it. It's one of those games that hasn't necessarily aged badly, but it was better experience when it came out. I have very fond memories of the both sotc and ico, but I admit that had I originally played them in 2013, I wouldn't get their appeal. rubber-chicken
That probably is exactly why. The element of "being alone" or the supposed "artistic appeal" in this game isn't enough of for me to appreciate it; it just feels very empty and dry. But honestly I've played games around that old that have been much more engaging.

I completely understand. I guess that these games have a huge relationship with those that experienced them back when they were realized. Everyone else that attempts to be part of that relationship... well. Will be left aside. Time has passed.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rubber-chicken
[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"][QUOTE="CoquiNegro"]I remember when the collection came out and gametrailers discussed it in the show "invisible walls." Most of them had never played the games before the collection was out and they absolutely trashed the games. They essentially didn't find the appeal of them. In my mind the fact that you're playing ICO 12 years after it was released probably has a lot to do with why you can't enjoy it. It's one of those games that hasn't necessarily aged badly, but it was better experience when it came out. I have very fond memories of the both sotc and ico, but I admit that had I originally played them in 2013, I wouldn't get their appeal. CoquiNegro

I completely understand. I guess that these games have a huge relationship with those that experienced them back when they were realized. Everyone else that attempts to be part of that relationship... well. Will be left aside. Time has passed.

But with that in mind, I'm going to assume that a game like Ocarina of Time would have a different response... I actually played Ocarina of Time for the first time in the mid-2000s on my Gamecube, and that's when I decided it was my favourite game. And that game is even older than ICO. I guess it's also just a matter of preference.
CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CoquiNegro
[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"][QUOTE="CoquiNegro"][QUOTE="rubber-chicken"] That probably is exactly why. The element of "being alone" or the supposed "artistic appeal" in this game isn't enough of for me to appreciate it; it just feels very empty and dry. But honestly I've played games around that old that have been much more engaging.

But with that in mind, I'm going to assume that a game like Ocarina of Time would have a different response... I actually played Ocarina of Time for the first time in the mid-2000s on my Gamecube, and that's when I decided it was my favourite game. And that game is even older than ICO. I guess it's also just a matter of preference.

It is. It is. There is no wrong or right in this particular situation. Some will be able to replay it and still feel like it holds up, others might think that a certain game simply didn't age well. Now one game that is timeless. Super Mario Bros. That's one that I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about.
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I played ICO for the first time last year. I liked it. The kid saying the same word over and over again was annoying. And the rope part, OMG the ROPE PART!!!!!! It took me 2 hours until I accidentally hit a button and the kid started to swing.

I actually want to replay it because I heard that if you play through it a second time you can understand everything that was coded up in the subtitles the first time through.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Not every game appeals to every person.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
hard to say why. i guess the artistic side of it really ressonated with me. for one, my opinion on yorda (the girl) is the opposite of yours. i really liked what they did there, and the metaphorical way they translate it into the controls. the environments are also pretty great. but strap aside the game to its gameplay core and you have essentially one huge zelda dungeon with some puzzles that vary from dull to actually pretty interesting, and a combat that is pretty clunky and bad (though i feel it's a necessary evil, due to the artistic part that revolves around it). for the record, my first time playing ICO was on the collection.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

I actually want to replay it because I heard that if you play through it a second time you can understand everything that was coded up in the subtitles the first time through.

Hatiko
that would kinda defeat the purpose of the whole message there. they're children, they manage to get along despite not understanding a word of what each other is saying. i guess it could be nice to satisfy your curiosity, but i'd be perfectly happy if it was all gibberish.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
I felt the same way when playing the original. I couldn't understand how anyone could create any kind of emotional attachment to those characters or relate to their situation. There is no hook. No reason to like them or get behind them. When you consider that the struggle they are going through isn't universal or even well-defined, telling the story largely through silence and implication doesn't make all that much sense. The only reason we have to get behind the characters is their abilities...and given that they are largely powerless (or incompetent depending on how you look at it) we can't be enamoured with them for how skilfully they extend our identity into the game world. I got about (I think) two-thirds of the way through the game and felt the game was a lot of hot air. I love the idea of a navigating an environment with just you and a girl. But the emotional richness the game sets itself up to deliver is never realised or even convincingly explored. At least not in the first half of the game. Definitely wasn't my cup of tea.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

That's completely natural, no game will appeal to everyone.

And from what i'm understanding, the game is mostly about immersion and atmosphere, with little focus on strong gameplay mechanics. Which is a damn shame. I'll have to play the game to make a proper opinion, but i can understand why people wouldn't enjoy it.

It is. It is. There is no wrong or right in this particular situation. Some will be able to replay it and still feel like it holds up, others might think that a certain game simply didn't age well. Now one game that is timeless. Super Mario Bros. That's one that I haven't heard anyone say anything negative about.CoquiNegro

There are plenty of games that are timeless. Unique games with solid design that haven't ben replicated and improved upon literally cannot age, technical aspects aside. Panzer Dragoon Saga and Nights Into Dreams, for example, are so unique and well designed, that they're practically 'modern' games.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

the whole purpose of the game is the emotional attachement youf eel between the boy and the girl. for that it is important to also have seen the ending. I think it´s the greatest achievement perhaps in anything to tell such a touching and masterful story(I won´t spoil ending) with almost no dialogue, since the girl and boy don´t understand each other but still need each other to get out of the castle. if you don´t feel that then the game is simply not for you. the gameplay isn´t top notch although the puzzles are pretty good. it´s much like a 3d version of limbo imo. or better said limbo is a 2d version of ico in many ways. both are 10-10 in my book

and yes the game is timeless. if you think it sucks now you would´ve thought the same 12 years ago

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

I loved the game.. it explored a relationship between a boy and the girl.. even the save points were beautiful.. a sofa where the boy and girl would relax with their heads on the other's shoulder.. I loved the platforming not because of the controls or the gameplay but simply because most of the platforming was done of ledges and other high up areas.. so there was always a sense of scale.. 2 lonely ppl in a humongous castle... also to point out that this was the first game i played where my character had infinite health (rare those days..) and you had to fight not so you could live but more to save the girl.. in fact there were some enemies who tried to distract you and even went so far to ignore you and just go for the girl.. there was evil in the place.. none directed against you... but you still had to forge a symbiotic relationship to escape the castle... oh and the final point that won me over [spoiler] you get a lightsaber midway through the game.. how can u not like that [/spoiler]

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

ICO is glorious :)

Now Shadow of the Colossus, there's a game that just doesn't click with me. I'm struggling to think of another title in the last ten years that has inspired the release of so much love juice on the part of the gaming press and public, but I've always found it to be rather dull.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bultje112

Now Shadow of the Colossus, there's a game that just doesn't click with me. I'm struggling to think of another title in the last ten years that has inspired the release of so much love juice on the part of the gaming press and public, but I've always found it to be rather dull.

Business_Fun

did you ever finish shadow of the colossus? the ending of it is very powerful and explains the setting of ico. it's a prequel.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts
It's a unique game on its own, where I guess is the reason why it was overlooked when it was released. It's just one of those games that you either hate or love, which personally I felt was one of the best games on ps2. Not to mention the track 'you were there' really captivates the journey of the game.
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Business_Fun
an overrated "art" game in the last 10 years.. for me that game is journey followed by dear esther
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

bultje112

did you ever finish shadow of the colossus? the ending of it is very powerful and explains the setting of ico. it's a prequel.

I didn't, chiefly on account of how boring I found it. Besides, I've pretty much spoiled the ending for myself by reading gaming website articles with names like 'The Top 10 Most Jaw Dropping Endings Of All Time' :P That's how I managed to spoil Castlevania: Lords of Shadow before I got round to beating it.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Business_Fun
While i enjoyed Sotc i dont think its as good as people make it out to be. I didnt feel the lonliness people have spoken about, or felt bad for killing the clossi. The controls were a pain in the arse, the horse steered like a tank, the character animation was awful, trying to climb on to the horse was a pain, and the ending while good wasn't that shocking. I enjoyed the unique feeling of the game and the epicness of the boss battles
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts
[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

thedork_knight
While i enjoyed Sotc i dont think its as good as people make it out to be. I didnt feel the lonliness people have spoken about, or felt bad for killing the clossi. The controls were a pain in the arse, the horse steered like a tank, the character animation was awful, trying to climb on to the horse was a pain, and the ending while good wasn't that shocking. I enjoyed the unique feeling of the game and the epicness of the boss battles

I felt the lonliness throughout the entire game, and was actually creeped out when I had to swim over to a platform to fight the giant colossi with a stone like sword. The entire time swimming I felt like something was going to grab me in the water, or like something was watching me from a distance.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bultje112

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

thedork_knight

well maybe you didn't but I certainly did and with me many others. after a number of colossi I started to feel sorry for them thinking I was trespassing their territory and they didn't start fighting me, add to that the ending and the game becomes one of epic proportions imo. because the ending... I don't want to spoil but it's very emtional

The4thVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The4thVIII
Member since 2013 • 420 Posts
Like SoTC and Indigo Prophecy, it's all about visual appeal. Before anyone says anything I know Indigo Prophecy does not look that good, but it's all about the experience and the world. It's not very much about gameplay, so if you don't like these games you won't like games such as ICO or Heavy Rain.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The appeal is in the atmosphere. Also, responding to the criticism about the loneliness: taking the loneliness out of it would kill its unique atmosphere. But I do agree that they could have done a better job on the core gameplay. It's a bit flat.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bultje112

Like SoTC and Indigo Prophecy, it's all about visual appeal. Before anyone says anything I know Indigo Prophecy does not look that good, but it's all about the experience and the world. It's not very much about gameplay, so if you don't like these games you won't like games such as ICO or Heavy Rain.The4thVIII

the appeal for games like indigo prophecy but especially heavy rain is actually the gameplay that is quite revolutionary and different. the storyline for instance in heavy rain I found to be the weakest part while I love the game.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
At the Time, the Graphics were great. That is why the game stood out but as you see, Graphics have very little play when it comes to longevity. This is why good Gameplay is needed.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The reason why ICO may not have aged so well is because many of its original ideas have been improved upon since then. The idea of an artistic game in itself was pretty revolutionary back then, inspiring a whole art game movement. The way you, as the main player character, interacted with the secondary female character, was also pretty revolutionary. ICO pretty much paved the way for artistic games like Shadow of the Collosus, Limbo, Journey, The Walking Dead, BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, etc. After playing more modern artistic games like these, an older predecessor like ICO might feel quite dated in comparison.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I don't hate any of them but find all of the artsy games to be kind of overrated (ICO, SotC, Flower, Journey, etc). I can appreciate them for a bit but then I get bored.
MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
I really loved Ico, even accepting that the combat was fairly weak, I always felt that the puzzles/environments were extremely well crafted, as was the atmosphere, which is arguably the most important part of the experience. As a lot of people have already said, I think that it's impact at the time was largely down to the fact that the 'games as art' discussion was in an entirely different place back then.
k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

ICO & shadow of colossues are epic games, but Its okay if you dont like them

nothing is meant to be liked by everyone