If I bought WildStar.....

#1 Posted by Behardy24 (2305 posts) -

would you be open to playing with me? Thinking about picking up the game in the next week and I am wanting to party up with any GS folk around here and do the normal grind. I promise, I don't bite.

#2 Posted by Ish_basic (3892 posts) -

Very few pc gamers in GD, I think. Maybe the PC forums.

I'm in the process of not playing Wildstar right now. Been playing it since early release and kinda took a break for E3 and the Destiny Alpha...i'm struggling to find any desire to go back.

The combat is actually quite fun and the challenging dungeons are a welcome change to modern MMO instancing that is usually a faceroll....but the questing is bottom of the barrel and as you get further becomes even more grindy, requiring you to kill an inordinate amount of mobs to complete single quests. What makes matters worse is that for some odd reason, helping another player kill a mob means you both get less progress towards your quest goal, taking us back years to the days where you had to fight over spawns to complete a quest....nobody missed that.

If you can stand the torture that is leveling and get to the point where you're more engaged in raids and dungeons on a constant basis, then there is enjoyment to be had. But as an altoholic, it's really off-putting. I don't like sticking to a single character, but the thought of leveling another is painful.

#3 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7939 posts) -

I having a lot of fun with it. I have like 4 characters all lvl 13ish. I need to stick with one but I am having hard time deciding.

#4 Posted by Jacanuk (3639 posts) -

would you be open to playing with me? Thinking about picking up the game in the next week and I am wanting to party up with any GS folk around here and do the normal grind. I promise, I don't bite.

Not really.....

But i also dont have Wildstar or plan to buy it so :D

#5 Posted by Behardy24 (2305 posts) -

Very few pc gamers in GD, I think. Maybe the PC forums.

I'm in the process of not playing Wildstar right now. Been playing it since early release and kinda took a break for E3 and the Destiny Alpha...i'm struggling to find any desire to go back.

The combat is actually quite fun and the challenging dungeons are a welcome change to modern MMO instancing that is usually a faceroll....but the questing is bottom of the barrel and as you get further becomes even more grindy, requiring you to kill an inordinate amount of mobs to complete single quests. What makes matters worse is that for some odd reason, helping another player kill a mob means you both get less progress towards your quest goal, taking us back years to the days where you had to fight over spawns to complete a quest....nobody missed that.

If you can stand the torture that is leveling and get to the point where you're more engaged in raids and dungeons on a constant basis, then there is enjoyment to be had. But as an altoholic, it's really off-putting. I don't like sticking to a single character, but the thought of leveling another is painful.

Yea. Your right. I made a thread on the PC forums.

I agree with you on the criticism you made in your second paragraph, the quests are bland as they ever can be and with the world being an uninteresting overall, it makes for groggy experience. That's why I'm hoping to party up with some other GameSpot members so the experience can be a lot better and also to try dungeons and/or PvP with the other GS people. Cause I heard to complete/do well in both dungeons and PvP, communication is a large upper-hand.

I myself am comfortable with leveling up one single character as I love the feeling of gaining exp, but I can see where your coming from when you say leveling another character from scratch is painful.

#6 Posted by Behardy24 (2305 posts) -

I having a lot of fun with it. I have like 4 characters all lvl 13ish. I need to stick with one but I am having hard time deciding.

My plan to combat the "which character and class should I play syndrome" is to play the first tutorial level with each of class and decide which I feel I will stick out the longest.

#7 Posted by Ish_basic (3892 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn said:

My plan to combat the "which character and class should I play syndrome" is to play the first tutorial level with each of class and decide which I feel I will stick out the longest.

That plan will not work for the Esper, though. Starts off really slow because of your initial builder. It gets much better as you go. The healing aspect is fun, too, but you don't really get to try that out to its full potential until the first dungeon at 20.

#8 Posted by Behardy24 (2305 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

That plan will not work for the Esper, though. Starts off really slow because of your initial builder. It gets much better as you go. The healing aspect is fun, too, but you don't really get to try that out to its full potential until the first dungeon at 20.

On the topic of dungeons, how do you access one exactly in-game? During the Beta I was level 24 and I couldn't figure it out.

#9 Posted by Ish_basic (3892 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

@behardy24 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

On the topic of dungeons, how do you access one exactly in-game? During the Beta I was level 24 and I couldn't figure it out.

Maybe it wasn't available, but you should be able to bring up the group finder and select dungeons when you unlock access. I think you might need the quest for it to come up in your list, though.

I do like that dungeons scale your level down. Helps them balance the difficulty. It really is the best part of the game with difficult and clever bosses. Even the trash mobs are no joke. I just think the loot needs to be increased, at least the vendor trash and gold drops. It's ridiculous to get 35c from a mob that's 10x as hard as the trash in regular questing, which will give about 3s at the same level. I'm cool with hiding better end-loot behind ranks, but it's annoying that people leave when they see they're not gonna hit the medal they want.