I was wrong about Skyrim

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Okay, so I recently made a thread detailing why I thought the game sucked but I just hadn't really taken the time to learn it properly and really give it a chance.

Now that I've done so, I must say it's a really good game.

Very time consuming though.

The amount of depth and content in this game is really something!!!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

LMAO ! Wow ! This is the 1st I've heard of something like this happening.

However I am keen on hearing why the change of heart ?

Did you discover mods or something ?

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#3  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Always give games a second chance, you never know what you might like.

For example, I have just finished playing King's Field US/EU after giving it a second go; from what felt like controlling a tank went on to be a highly immersive, enthralling game with fantastic exploration and dark, ominous atmosphere

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu

@ SovietsUnited

Liking and disliking games has never been an issue for me because compartmentalising is easy for me. I don't just like or dislike an entire game, theres always somethings I like and some thing I don't. And I give all the parts that make up the game fair consideration before laying down the Hammer of judgement. Going back has never changed my feelings towards a game.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@thereal25 said:

Okay, so I recently made a thread detailing why I thought the game sucked but I just hadn't really taken the time to learn it properly and really give it a chance.

First who cares? .

And you admit that you just bashed a game because you didn´t really understand it or spent time in it.

Nice.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

@Jacanuk
said:

@thereal25 said:

And you admit that you just bashed a game because you didn´t really understand it or spent time in it.

Nice.

Aaw, come on, it might be a bit questionable, but isn't it also a tiny bit admirable? It made my cold and bitter gaming heart light up a little...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Skyrim is the size of an ocean, but the depth of a puddle.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#8 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts
@loafofgame said:
@Jacanuk said:

Nice.

Aaw, come on, it might be a bit questionable, but isn't it also a tiny bit admirable? It made my cold and bitter gaming heart light up a little...

There is no need to be snide and cynical about this, opinions change constantly; you only scare users away

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#9 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I often try to give a game a second chance. For instance the demo of Kingdoms of Amalur was AWFUL. However I loved the game and showed me that a good third-person action-rpg when done right could be a WONDERFUL experience and one of my favorite games. Bioshock Infinate is another example of this, the first go at it and I only got about 20 minutes in and just couldn't get into the experience. Once I started the game over and actually gave it a chance (a few hours) I was hooked and I really enjoyed the game. There are other games that after several tries I still don't like. Dishonored looks really cool but I just can't get into it, maybe I just suck at it but it's just not scratching my itch. I've tried several times to like Far Cry 2 but end up giving up after a few hours. I often find indie games to lack the interest to keep me playing them.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@thereal25 said:

There is none.

Rtzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rtzon
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Then play Oblivion and/or Morrowind and prepare to be mind blown.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loafofgame

@SovietsUnited
said:

@loafofgame said:
@Jacanuk said:

Nice.

There is no need to be snide and cynical about this, opinions change constantly; you only scare users away

Are you talking about me...? I was being positive about his comment. It doesn't happen very often that a user openly admits he misjudged a game. I might have exaggerated the 'cold and bitter gaming heart' a little, but I meant it in a positive way...

Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Splatted
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

@thereal25: I don't like Skyrim, but thanks for being one of the good people on the internet. Nice to see someone who possesses both an open mind and the ability to admit they were wrong.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Good to see that you're enjoying the game now. I thought it was a fantastic game and loved every minute of it. I just purchased the dlc for it recently so I'll be returning to play more of it again real soon.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Not to criticise you or anything like that, but if you're going to make a thread about this topic you need to be more specific in the opening post. Why did you think Skyrim sucked and why have you changed your mind? That's how you get people to discuss the topic.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ geniobastardo

It wouldn't deserve a second chance if you had just commited to playing it alil longer.

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al-Manyouk
Member since 2013 • 99 Posts

There are 3 types of people that dislike Skyrim:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Everyone else loves it, provided they actually played it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Al-Manyouk

I'm in Category 1. I was like maybe 12 or 11 when I first tried Morrowind.... So much freedom and stuff, it got into me way too early and I've hated it ever since. Never Played oblivion and Skyrim..... well, all that can be said has been said many many times before.

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Al-Manyouk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Never Played oblivion and Skyrim.....

Though you see fit to trash it any chance you get?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@ Al-Manyouk

Ofcourse, Bethesda's Incompetence makes it so damn Easy ! You can't hold me responsible for that.

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Al-Manyouk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Al-Manyouk

Ofcourse, Bethesda's Incompetence makes it so damn Easy ! You can't hold me responsible for that.

...wat?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@ Al-Manyouk

The Constant bugs, The fact that the community drastically improved the vanilla version so easily.

Its not exactly inspiring much faith in Bethesda as a developer.

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al-Manyouk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Al-Manyouk

The Constant bugs, The fact that the community drastically improved the vanilla version so easily.

Its not exactly inspiring much faith in Bethesda as a developer.

Translation: "I heard some people on the internet say it, so it must be true."

Also "bugs" was the least thing you complained about in your anti-Skyrim rants. You dissed everything from writing to gameplay.

I saw the OP's old post about Skyrim, stuff about "bland characters, bland writing, dull world with no depth", etc..., yet now by his own admission he never played it, he was simply reciting something he had read on the net. And by your admission so were you. And it's likely the case with everyone else. So what is it that makes people trash a game they never played? I think we may need a psychologist to answer this.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@ Al-Manyouk

No translation necessary, I played some of Skyrim on a friends PC, can't tell ya how many times I fell throught the floor or how often it just froze. I can only imagine what the console version must be like.

Also whatever issues you got with other people has nothing to do with me. I did my part, I gave TES two chances and it blew it. Besides if you're familiar with my M.O. Then you'd know that even if Skyrim wasn't buggy and moddable I still wouldn't like it because its not a Particularly good Game in General.

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al-Manyouk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Al-Manyouk

No translation necessary, I played some of Skyrim on a friends PC, can't tell ya how many times I fell throught the floor or how often it just froze. I can only imagine what the console version must be like.

Also whatever issues you got with other people has nothing to do with me. I did my part, I gave TES two chances and it blew it. Besides if you're familiar with my M.O. Then you'd know that even if Skyrim wasn't buggy and moddable I still wouldn't like it because its not a Particularly good Game in General.

Here we go again, another "Skyrim sucks" rant from someone who never played it. Of course he denies he just said he never played it, also played it thoroughly.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: never had a problem with skyrim on my 360 it's always ran perfectly, maybe there was something wrong with your friends a PC, I heard gaming pc's need constant updates and upgrades.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

That was a grammitical error, I said I never played Oblivion, and Skyrim...... well, all

that can be said has been said many many times

before. I probably should put a period or a comma there but I didn't. Sue me :)

but I guess playing 30 Minutes of it is no big feat either. Especially if half that time was spent exploring the massive world with nearly nothing in it. I had a simular problem with Just Cause 2, another massive game with little in it.

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al-Manyouk

@ariabed: There is nothing wrong with the PC version, he made 3 posts confirming he never played it, then after being asked how it's possible he thinks the game itself is so bad only then does it suddenly come back to him that he played it. And I will reiterate, this is the exact same case with everyone else around here that trashes Skyrim.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@Al-Manyouk said:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Fallout New Vegas is a vastly superior game to Skyrim though.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@ geniobastardo

I'l stick with my Original Statement. Although I did that once with Mass Effect, but that was different, there was a bug the prevents you from leaving the Citadel after becoming a Spector. And I had a Perfectly good copy of Arkham Asylum just begging me to play it......again :)

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Al-Manyouk

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Al-Manyouk said:

You must be in the third category?

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

skyrim one of the best RPG this gen and of all time for me

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jacanuk

@Al-Manyouk said:

What a load of bull

But you need a 4. People "dislike" Skyrim because its a poor game, and why Skyrim is so popular is because of the mods, not the base game.

And if you disagree then just ask how many people actually play unmodded Skyrim and like it.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ariabed

@geniobastardo: yep that happened with farcry3 when I first played it, it bored me so I would play other games, but now I'm really getting into it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jacanuk

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Al-Manyouk said:

Spot on Fallout 3 and NV is far superior to Skyrim.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ariabed

@Jacanuk: what makes fallout3 and NV far superior to skyrim? It's basically the same model just different setting IMO

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Ariabed

I've asked that same question many times..... I'm not overly fond of the answers that follow.

To me, one is midieval and the other is post apocolyptic. Other than that, they're both dialog, fetch quest, grind and loot machine.

Its even worse with Japanese turn-based RPGs.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ariabed

@Lulu_Lulu: saying that, I did love fallout3 it was the game I always wished for, after playing oblivion I wished they would make a game like oblivion but with guns.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

@ Ariabed

Its Highly plausible that theres an indie or kickstar game working on that.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

That shows you can not just listen to the internet for the answer until toy try to play the game with a more open mind. Also do not allow the bias of other be the judge your taste. I find beat-them-up at their best are just downgraded RPG while others may like beat-them-up and will continue attack RPG.

LMCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LMCampbell
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

@ariabed: Now that would be a great game, you never know there might be a Mod

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu

@ geniobastardo

My Bad... I didn't see, was distracted by something Shiny. :).

Actually its the Previews for Murdered Soul Suspect. Most of them are good but every now and then theres the "Game gets slow sometimes" comment. I mean, isn't slow the whole point of an Adventure game ? If anything I think the game will be bogged down by the Stealth sections.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 loafofgame

@Jacanuk
said:

And if you disagree then just ask how many people actually play unmodded Skyrim and like it.

Ooh! Ooh! Right here. I spent weeks playing that game without any mods and loved it. I must have no standards. Granted, at this point I wouldn't play it without mods, but at the time I thought it was a very enjoyable game. Bugs also weren't really an issue. There were a few quests I couldn't finish, but nothing too dramatic. That said, I can certainly see why people would dislike the game...

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Al-Manyouk

@Jacanuk said:

The 86% that played it on consoles. I guess all those 86% hated the game?

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#49 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

@Rtzon said:

Then play Oblivion and/or Morrowind and prepare to be mind blown.

Don't ever put Oblivion and Morrowind in the same sentence as if they're equals. Oblivion is like a beta compared to Morrowind, and a horrible one at that.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I played Skyrim on the 360 so no mods for me and I loved the game.