I was wrong about Skyrim

  • 98 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by thereal25 (443 posts) -

Okay, so I recently made a thread detailing why I thought the game sucked but I just hadn't really taken the time to learn it properly and really give it a chance.

Now that I've done so, I must say it's a really good game.

Very time consuming though.

The amount of depth and content in this game is really something!!!

#2 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

LMAO ! Wow ! This is the 1st I've heard of something like this happening.

However I am keen on hearing why the change of heart ?

Did you discover mods or something ?

#3 Edited by SovietsUnited (2305 posts) -

Always give games a second chance, you never know what you might like.

For example, I have just finished playing King's Field US/EU after giving it a second go; from what felt like controlling a tank went on to be a highly immersive, enthralling game with fantastic exploration and dark, ominous atmosphere

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ SovietsUnited

Liking and disliking games has never been an issue for me because compartmentalising is easy for me. I don't just like or dislike an entire game, theres always somethings I like and some thing I don't. And I give all the parts that make up the game fair consideration before laying down the Hammer of judgement. Going back has never changed my feelings towards a game.

#5 Posted by Jacanuk (4576 posts) -

@thereal25 said:

Okay, so I recently made a thread detailing why I thought the game sucked but I just hadn't really taken the time to learn it properly and really give it a chance.

Now that I've done so, I must say it's a really good game.

Very time consuming though.

The amount of depth and content in this game is really something!!!

First who cares? .

And you admit that you just bashed a game because you didn´t really understand it or spent time in it.

Nice.

#6 Edited by loafofgame (577 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@thereal25 said:

Okay, so I recently made a thread detailing why I thought the game sucked but I just hadn't really taken the time to learn it properly and really give it a chance.

Now that I've done so, I must say it's a really good game.

Very time consuming though.

The amount of depth and content in this game is really something!!!

And you admit that you just bashed a game because you didn´t really understand it or spent time in it.

Nice.

Aaw, come on, it might be a bit questionable, but isn't it also a tiny bit admirable? It made my cold and bitter gaming heart light up a little...

#7 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7894 posts) -

Skyrim is the size of an ocean, but the depth of a puddle.

#8 Posted by SovietsUnited (2305 posts) -
@loafofgame said:
@Jacanuk said:

And you admit that you just bashed a game because you didn´t really understand it or spent time in it.

Nice.

Aaw, come on, it might be a bit questionable, but isn't it also a tiny bit admirable? It made my cold and bitter gaming heart light up a little...

There is no need to be snide and cynical about this, opinions change constantly; you only scare users away

#9 Posted by jasonredemption (302 posts) -

I often try to give a game a second chance. For instance the demo of Kingdoms of Amalur was AWFUL. However I loved the game and showed me that a good third-person action-rpg when done right could be a WONDERFUL experience and one of my favorite games. Bioshock Infinate is another example of this, the first go at it and I only got about 20 minutes in and just couldn't get into the experience. Once I started the game over and actually gave it a chance (a few hours) I was hooked and I really enjoyed the game. There are other games that after several tries I still don't like. Dishonored looks really cool but I just can't get into it, maybe I just suck at it but it's just not scratching my itch. I've tried several times to like Far Cry 2 but end up giving up after a few hours. I often find indie games to lack the interest to keep me playing them.

#10 Posted by Pffrbt (6556 posts) -

@thereal25 said:
The amount of depth and content in this game is really something!!!

There is none.

#11 Posted by Rtzon (10 posts) -

Then play Oblivion and/or Morrowind and prepare to be mind blown.

#12 Posted by loafofgame (577 posts) -

@SovietsUnited said:

@loafofgame said:
@Jacanuk said:

And you admit that you just bashed a game because you didn´t really understand it or spent time in it.

Nice.

Aaw, come on, it might be a bit questionable, but isn't it also a tiny bit admirable? It made my cold and bitter gaming heart light up a little...

There is no need to be snide and cynical about this, opinions change constantly; you only scare users away

Are you talking about me...? I was being positive about his comment. It doesn't happen very often that a user openly admits he misjudged a game. I might have exaggerated the 'cold and bitter gaming heart' a little, but I meant it in a positive way...

#13 Posted by Splatted (34 posts) -

@thereal25: I don't like Skyrim, but thanks for being one of the good people on the internet. Nice to see someone who possesses both an open mind and the ability to admit they were wrong.

#14 Edited by Archangel3371 (15663 posts) -

Good to see that you're enjoying the game now. I thought it was a fantastic game and loved every minute of it. I just purchased the dlc for it recently so I'll be returning to play more of it again real soon.

#15 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18479 posts) -

Not to criticise you or anything like that, but if you're going to make a thread about this topic you need to be more specific in the opening post. Why did you think Skyrim sucked and why have you changed your mind? That's how you get people to discuss the topic.

#16 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

The same happened to me when the first time I played Crysis 2 . I was just stuck on the first few missions and thought it sucked. Then after a year or two, when I played it and got past those missions, it became one of my all-time favorites. Every game deserve a second chance.

#17 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ geniobastardo

It wouldn't deserve a second chance if you had just commited to playing it alil longer.

#18 Edited by Al-Manyouk (83 posts) -

There are 3 types of people that dislike Skyrim:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Everyone else loves it, provided they actually played it.

#19 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ Al-Manyouk

I'm in Category 1. I was like maybe 12 or 11 when I first tried Morrowind.... So much freedom and stuff, it got into me way too early and I've hated it ever since. Never Played oblivion and Skyrim..... well, all that can be said has been said many many times before.

#20 Posted by Al-Manyouk (83 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Never Played oblivion and Skyrim.....

Though you see fit to trash it any chance you get?

#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ Al-Manyouk

Ofcourse, Bethesda's Incompetence makes it so damn Easy ! You can't hold me responsible for that.

#22 Posted by Al-Manyouk (83 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Al-Manyouk

Ofcourse, Bethesda's Incompetence makes it so damn Easy ! You can't hold me responsible for that.

...wat?

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ Al-Manyouk

The Constant bugs, The fact that the community drastically improved the vanilla version so easily.

Its not exactly inspiring much faith in Bethesda as a developer.

#24 Edited by Al-Manyouk (83 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Al-Manyouk

The Constant bugs, The fact that the community drastically improved the vanilla version so easily.

Its not exactly inspiring much faith in Bethesda as a developer.

Translation: "I heard some people on the internet say it, so it must be true."

Also "bugs" was the least thing you complained about in your anti-Skyrim rants. You dissed everything from writing to gameplay.

I saw the OP's old post about Skyrim, stuff about "bland characters, bland writing, dull world with no depth", etc..., yet now by his own admission he never played it, he was simply reciting something he had read on the net. And by your admission so were you. And it's likely the case with everyone else. So what is it that makes people trash a game they never played? I think we may need a psychologist to answer this.

#25 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ Al-Manyouk

No translation necessary, I played some of Skyrim on a friends PC, can't tell ya how many times I fell throught the floor or how often it just froze. I can only imagine what the console version must be like.

Also whatever issues you got with other people has nothing to do with me. I did my part, I gave TES two chances and it blew it. Besides if you're familiar with my M.O. Then you'd know that even if Skyrim wasn't buggy and moddable I still wouldn't like it because its not a Particularly good Game in General.

#26 Edited by Al-Manyouk (83 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Al-Manyouk

No translation necessary, I played some of Skyrim on a friends PC, can't tell ya how many times I fell throught the floor or how often it just froze. I can only imagine what the console version must be like.

Also whatever issues you got with other people has nothing to do with me. I did my part, I gave TES two chances and it blew it. Besides if you're familiar with my M.O. Then you'd know that even if Skyrim wasn't buggy and moddable I still wouldn't like it because its not a Particularly good Game in General.

Here we go again, another "Skyrim sucks" rant from someone who never played it. Of course he denies he just said he never played it, also played it thoroughly.

#27 Posted by Ariabed (1105 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: never had a problem with skyrim on my 360 it's always ran perfectly, maybe there was something wrong with your friends a PC, I heard gaming pc's need constant updates and upgrades.

#28 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

That was a grammitical error, I said I never played Oblivion, and Skyrim...... well, all

that can be said has been said many many times

before. I probably should put a period or a comma there but I didn't. Sue me :)

but I guess playing 30 Minutes of it is no big feat either. Especially if half that time was spent exploring the massive world with nearly nothing in it. I had a simular problem with Just Cause 2, another massive game with little in it.

#29 Edited by Al-Manyouk (83 posts) -

@ariabed: There is nothing wrong with the PC version, he made 3 posts confirming he never played it, then after being asked how it's possible he thinks the game itself is so bad only then does it suddenly come back to him that he played it. And I will reiterate, this is the exact same case with everyone else around here that trashes Skyrim.

#30 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ geniobastardo

It wouldn't deserve a second chance if you had just commited to playing it alil longer.

sometimes you don't. Like the first time I played Crysis 2, I already had a boatload of other games at hand, so getting bored at one game suddenly meant " Pass on it!". That's why!

#31 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7894 posts) -

@Al-Manyouk said:

There are 3 types of people that dislike Skyrim:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Everyone else loves it, provided they actually played it.

Fallout New Vegas is a vastly superior game to Skyrim though.

#32 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ geniobastardo

I'l stick with my Original Statement. Although I did that once with Mass Effect, but that was different, there was a bug the prevents you from leaving the Citadel after becoming a Spector. And I had a Perfectly good copy of Arkham Asylum just begging me to play it......again :)

#33 Posted by Al-Manyouk (83 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Al-Manyouk said:

There are 3 types of people that dislike Skyrim:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Everyone else loves it, provided they actually played it.

Fallout New Vegas is a vastly superior game to Skyrim though.

You must be in the third category?

#34 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Why do you always go against me??? are you trying to taunt me with Arkham Asylum??? *starts crying*

#35 Posted by CTR360 (7087 posts) -

skyrim one of the best RPG this gen and of all time for me

#36 Posted by Jacanuk (4576 posts) -

@Al-Manyouk said:

There are 3 types of people that dislike Skyrim:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Everyone else loves it, provided they actually played it.

What a load of bull

But you need a 4. People "dislike" Skyrim because its a poor game, and why Skyrim is so popular is because of the mods, not the base game.

And if you disagree then just ask how many people actually play unmodded Skyrim and like it.

#37 Posted by Ariabed (1105 posts) -

@geniobastardo: yep that happened with farcry3 when I first played it, it bored me so I would play other games, but now I'm really getting into it.

#38 Edited by Jacanuk (4576 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Al-Manyouk said:

There are 3 types of people that dislike Skyrim:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Everyone else loves it, provided they actually played it.

Fallout New Vegas is a vastly superior game to Skyrim though.

Spot on Fallout 3 and NV is far superior to Skyrim.

#39 Posted by Ariabed (1105 posts) -

@Jacanuk: what makes fallout3 and NV far superior to skyrim? It's basically the same model just different setting IMO

#40 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ Ariabed

I've asked that same question many times..... I'm not overly fond of the answers that follow.

To me, one is midieval and the other is post apocolyptic. Other than that, they're both dialog, fetch quest, grind and loot machine.

Its even worse with Japanese turn-based RPGs.

#41 Posted by Ariabed (1105 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: saying that, I did love fallout3 it was the game I always wished for, after playing oblivion I wished they would make a game like oblivion but with guns.

#42 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ Ariabed

Its Highly plausible that theres an indie or kickstar game working on that.

#43 Posted by wiouds (5208 posts) -

That shows you can not just listen to the internet for the answer until toy try to play the game with a more open mind. Also do not allow the bias of other be the judge your taste. I find beat-them-up at their best are just downgraded RPG while others may like beat-them-up and will continue attack RPG.

#44 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: you're not ignoring me, are you??

#45 Posted by LMCampbell (2 posts) -

@ariabed: Now that would be a great game, you never know there might be a Mod

#46 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13205 posts) -

@ geniobastardo

My Bad... I didn't see, was distracted by something Shiny. :).

Actually its the Previews for Murdered Soul Suspect. Most of them are good but every now and then theres the "Game gets slow sometimes" comment. I mean, isn't slow the whole point of an Adventure game ? If anything I think the game will be bogged down by the Stealth sections.

#47 Posted by loafofgame (577 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

And if you disagree then just ask how many people actually play unmodded Skyrim and like it.

Ooh! Ooh! Right here. I spent weeks playing that game without any mods and loved it. I must have no standards. Granted, at this point I wouldn't play it without mods, but at the time I thought it was a very enjoyable game. Bugs also weren't really an issue. There were a few quests I couldn't finish, but nothing too dramatic. That said, I can certainly see why people would dislike the game...

#48 Edited by Al-Manyouk (83 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

And if you disagree then just ask how many people actually play unmodded Skyrim and like it.

The 86% that played it on consoles. I guess all those 86% hated the game?

#49 Posted by huerito323 (1375 posts) -

@Rtzon said:

Then play Oblivion and/or Morrowind and prepare to be mind blown.

Don't ever put Oblivion and Morrowind in the same sentence as if they're equals. Oblivion is like a beta compared to Morrowind, and a horrible one at that.

#50 Posted by Archangel3371 (15663 posts) -

I played Skyrim on the 360 so no mods for me and I loved the game.