I was thinkin about starting a 'Post your RPG Collection' thread, but...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhockey9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 jhockey9
Member since 2004 • 496 Posts
Well, the lines have blurred over the years as to what an RPG is. Some are obvious (Final Fantasy), but others not so much (people consider Kingdom Hearts action-RPGs, but where does that leave the Zelda games or Okami, which are very similar). So unless someone starts it first, I doubt I will because the criteria of what an RPG is really left to the individual. What do you think?
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts
i wouldnt consider okami(from what i played of it) or Zelda(which doesnt really have any RPG characteristics) as rpgs
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I thought RPG games were any games that have a leveling system such as Pokemon or Kingdom Hearts.

p.s. - i hate turn based rpg's.

RogueGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 RogueGoose
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts
Just from the name I would guess its a Game where you play the role of the Main Character... But, thinking about that I think that would include every game... So I have no Idea what An RPG is now... Thanks for making me think, Jerk....
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts

Having played them for years, I find it odd no one knows what RPGs are.

Put simply they are games where you gain experience as you beat foes, translating into increases stats and abilities. The storyline is normally epic in scope, save the world type thing. Multiple playable characters exist with numerous unique and generic non-playable characters (NPCs) help advance the story. The playable characters would be defined by their stats as physical, magical, tanks and rogues each with their own stat gains.

From the top of my head at 4:30am this is all I can come up with.

willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
RPG - role playing game, as long as you role play something( basically for all games is like that) but have a band of characters venturing out to save the world and has a love story and has Leveling up sistem that might be an RPG
Ironfungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ironfungus
Member since 2007 • 1123 Posts

i wouldnt consider okami(from what i played of it) or Zelda(which doesnt really have any RPG characteristics) as rpgswarmaster670

They're not "RPGs" but ACTION RPGs (ARPG).

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

I thought RPG games were any games that have a leveling system such as Pokemon or Kingdom Hearts.

Lyphe2k

then all new action adventure games are RPGs

Ironfungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ironfungus
Member since 2007 • 1123 Posts
[QUOTE="Lyphe2k"]

TheLegendKnight

I think he really means "ps. I suck at turn-based RPGs"

Anything that isn't turn based isn't an RPG (they'd most likely be labeled as action RPGs)

jhockey9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 jhockey9
Member since 2004 • 496 Posts
Action RPGs, Turn-Based RPGs......oiiiiii! I appreciate the help trying to help me distinguish these. Maybe if anyone does another 'Post your collection' thread, I'll put some stuff up. Thanks guys.
trestx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 trestx
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts
well, even GTA: San Andreas has RPG elements as far as skill development and character personalization. I would say that a traditional RPG has a traditional points-leveling system for experience/jobs. Anything else can be described as "RPG-like elements". Then again, I'm old school. My first RPG was Dragon Quest on the old NES.
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
[QUOTE="TheLegendKnight"][QUOTE="Lyphe2k"]

Ironfungus

I think he really means "ps. I suck at turn-based RPGs"

Anything that isn't turn based isn't an RPG (they'd most likely be labeled as action RPGs)

Um NO I didn't mean that. Why is it so hard to accept that I just don't like something as opposed to sucking at it?

Next time please don't assume the first thing that comes to your mind is what you should say. k, thanks.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

I consider Morrowind more of an RPG than an Action RPG, though it does have a healthy portion of action.

I don't know if I agree with the classification of non-turn based as action.

I don't see Jade Empire as that much more action-packed than KotOR, though, according to that definition, it would be an Action RPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts
RPG= Rocket Propelled Grenade
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

I found the Wikipedia article on this subject helpful. According to Wikipedia, RPGs are basically video games that incorporate the play elements of the traditional paper and pencil RPG games (i.e., D&D). Which would explain why FF is an RPG and GTA is not.

RPGs have parties of people who join forces to perform quests and overcome challenges. These characters level up over the course of the game by improving their attributes and acquiring better equipment.

Combat is more abstract in comparison to other video games - for instance player actions are chosen thru a series of menus and the outcome of battles are determined by statistical probabilities based on the characters' attributes (e.g. hero's sword vs. monster's armor)

Also according to Wikipedia, SRPGs are a subgroup of RPGs and their difference is that the combat in SRPGs is more like that found in table top war games than D&D.

Action RPGs are another a sub-group of RPGs and the difference is that their combat is based on reflexes and the quickness of the player. Though, according to Wikipedia if non-combat RPG elements (leveling and questing) are given equal importance to action type combat the game will still be considered a RPG and not an Action RPG. Which would make Morrowind an RPG.

So, Kingdom Hearts is an Action RPG because its combat is based on reflexes and character attributes are an important part of the game structure but Okami and Zelda would not be Action-RPGs because character statistics aren't the focus of gameplay. Okami and Zelda are actually action-adventure games which is an even more confusing label than RPG.