I want to get into rpgs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gambit10138213 (17 posts) -
I am looking to get into RPGs but just don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend me a starter rpg? Systems I have are nes snes genesis n64 ps3. Can't play ps2 games on ps3 but I can play psone games.
#2 Posted by MrNuttyboh (137 posts) -

I am looking to get into RPGs but just don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend me a starter rpg? Systems I have are nes snes genesis n64 ps3. Can't play ps2 games on ps3 but I can play psone games.gambit10138213

Some of the best RPGs I have ever played were on the PSone. Some that you might wanna look for:

-Final Fantasy 7, 8, or 9

-Chrono Cross

-Legend of Dragoon

-Wild ARMs 1 or 2 (didnt play the others)

There are also some others I enjoyed alot but everyone might not agree with:

-Parasite Eve

-Legend of Legia

-Final Fantasy Anthology (FF5 and 6)

I also have some modern era suggestions for you:

-Fallout 3

-Mass Effect Series

The PSone games are more traditional RPGs, which may be what your looking for. Any of these games are winners for me though. Good luck

#4 Posted by Pvt_r3d (7897 posts) -
It's tough to pick an old rpg for someone like you to play because the mechanics can be tedious to most. You should try Secret of Mana for the PSone.
#5 Posted by YoBrandino (1546 posts) -
While MrNuttyboh gave great idea - I will second Legend of Legaia (PSOne). As that is the game that really got me into RPG's. Its also one of the only one I have played through multiple times. On the PS3, I would look into Tales of Graces F.
#6 Posted by wiouds (5527 posts) -

What do you want from the RPG?

#7 Posted by santinegrete (930 posts) -
I can recommend you Tales of Graces F in playstation 3 if you want actual real time battles. If you are or were a action gamer it's an easier transition that way. Story wise it's good, but other RPGs mentioned before maybe have better one, so it won't ruin the rest of universe RPG story-wise, unless you grab RPGs with bad story. Also I can give you the same recommendation with Odins Sphere of Playstation2. You can get it on PSN store for Playstation 3, great combat and interesting item managment.
#8 Posted by digitaltiger (240 posts) -

I really liked Grandia for the PS1, its on the ps store for 5 or 10 dollars.

#9 Posted by JayPearson4 (12 posts) -
Final Fantasy series is always a good place to start or go old school with borderlands, then you can get borderlands 2 if you like it
#10 Posted by Sackarono (6 posts) -
if you have a ds DRAGON QUEST 9!!!!!! Chrono trigger is also very good. Earthbound for the super nintendo. Any dragon quest game is Extremely good. Pokemon. Final Fantasy 6. The others are kind meh to me. Oh and for an action rpg i cannot recommend MEGAMAN BATTLE NETWORK enough! its a must play for any gamer
#11 Posted by Sackarono (6 posts) -
Wow where do you live where borderlands is old school >.> n64 and back are "old school"
#12 Posted by Geordielass78 (3 posts) -

Probably a good idea to let everyone know what you currently like to play - it would definitely affect what I would recommend to you - e.g. if you love strategy games, then RPGs that have a tactical element to combat are more likely to appeal, whereas if you love running around killing everything in sight, in an FPS, you'd be better starting with Action RPGs.

#13 Posted by Sackarono (6 posts) -

Probably a good idea to let everyone know what you currently like to play - it would definitely affect what I would recommend to you - e.g. if you love strategy games, then RPGs that have a tactical element to combat are more likely to appeal, whereas if you love running around killing everything in sight, in an FPS, you'd be better starting with Action RPGs.

Geordielass78
i agree with geordie here i recommended games that i really like but it depends what you are into what i would definately recommend.
#14 Posted by macintosh336 (8 posts) -
Chrono Trigger Chrono Trigger Chrono Trigger Chrono Trigger
#15 Posted by HardGames420 (233 posts) -

From Software's Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for the Sony Playstation 3. If you let them, they will consume your life.

#16 Posted by kingWithNoCrown (9 posts) -
You gotta play the legend of dragoon! And you can't go wrong with final fantasy. Ignore xiii at least...
#17 Posted by oASSASSINo (27 posts) -
Just remember, RPGs aren't for everyone, it takes a special kind of gamer to enjoy rpgs. ME series is good, any ff is sure to entertain, fallout 3, oblivion, syrim
#18 Posted by Amorphis2k (21 posts) -

Dude just do yourself a favour and pick up a copy of Skyrim. It's the RPG of RPG's.

#19 Posted by AmosMoses981 (27 posts) -

I have to plug my favourite. Disgaea Hour of Darkness.

#20 Posted by DaneGamer (373 posts) -

Go out - invest in a Wii and buy Xenoblade and The Last Story - the best RPG's the last couple of years. Forget all about these new stupid western rpg's that can have you defeat the game with a stick - where every upgrade is only an illusion, and it's no more than an action game with a few numbers - get back to the old fashioned 'get your head in the game'-rpg that requires some attention and maybe even grind!

#23 Posted by Rat_King (142 posts) -

Everything mentioned is great. But there are a few I'm incredibly shocked haven't been, though everything suggested is a classic. You definitely need to give more details into what you like. Such a broad question. RPG isn't even a genre anymore it's grown so many branches.

EXTREMELY surprised, and a little upset, nobody has even hinted at Dragon Age Origins. One of the best modern fantasy RPGs without a doubt. Has a little bit of everything while maintaining the classic RPG feel - Run and gun, tactics, loot, professions and excellent story/dialogue. I have about 325 hours put into it. You also have the always amazing Oblivion and Skyrim, or Fallout 3 if you're looking more "sci fi" than fantasy.

To go more old school, I also love Legend of Dragoon. And you mention N64 so I'm going to ASSUME you've played either of the two Zelda games for it?? If not, then you need to get on top of Ocarina of Time IMMEDIATELY. That game has aged incredibly well. Personally, I'm having trouble getting into a lot of the old PS1 RPGs because I DON'T think they've aged well. I can easily pick up Zelda and still be into it, whereas FF7 or Legend of Dragoon I'm in it more for nostalgia. I just don't think it would be a good choice for a modern age gamer looking to get into an RPG. But, you never know.

#25 Posted by CBN16 (407 posts) -

All PS3 Games:

Dark Souls, Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and many people don't recommend Dragon's Dogma, but I like it.

#26 Posted by kriggy (952 posts) -

From Software's Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for the Sony Playstation 3. If you let them, they will consume your life.

HardGames420

They are not starter rpgs though. They took punishment of failing to a new level. imo, they are hardcore rpgs for people who already are fans of rpg.