I want to get into Far Cry but where should I start?

#1 Posted by Dannystaples14 (1038 posts) -

My issue is, I don't normally like jumping straight into a series at numbers more than 1 because of the story matters and some of the lore and whatever. But I also find it very difficult to truly enjoy a game that is old.

Like when you experience a game for the first time you will like is or dislike it but the mechanics will generally be cutting edge for the time. Fast forward five years and the games of old really start to show their age.

I for example never played Diablo 1 when it was first released but now I can't get into it because of simply how old the game is. The limitations of the movement, limitations of the interface and inventory system for example. Doom is fun but gives an hour of fun before giving me a retinal bleed from the planet sized pixels.

Now I know Far Cry 1 is not that old but my point is is it worth going in at 3 to try it? And then going back to 1 and 2? Is it worth going back to 1 and 2 at all? Does it even matter?

#2 Posted by agux987 (234 posts) -

If I were you, I'd start with Far Cry 3. It's far more "approchable" for people new in the series. It has awesome gameplay, interesting story and great characters, and it also has online multiplayer.

Far Cry 2 is a good game, but the first hours might get boring because of all the walking and travelling. It's slower paced.

The first one is awesome too and it has a lot of differences with the first two but I don't want to write a spoiler. If you have a PS3 or XBOX 360 you can get Far Cry: Classic, which is a remake with better graphics.

Mind knowing that the first Far Cry and both 2 and 3 had a different developers, being Crytek for 1 and Ubisoft Montreal for 2 and 3, so expect a lot of changes.

#3 Posted by Dannystaples14 (1038 posts) -

@agux987: Awesome thanks for the info.

#4 Posted by XOne_ShotX91 (152 posts) -

I say 3. Unfortunately, I havent played 1 but I have 2 also and, while Im still at the beginning, it's kind of, sort of pretty boring lol. I hope it opens up after a couple more hours. If not, well, atleast I only spent $4 on it.

#5 Posted by cyborg100000 (2875 posts) -

I also say start with 3. it's the most solid one of the 3 and the stories are all completely different anyway. I never got into the second, it was too oddly paced for my liking. The first is great but becomes a bit frustrating when the mutants arrive (especially the rocket mutants in close combat), and the ending's anti-climactic.

#6 Posted by marcheegsr (3000 posts) -

Just play Far cry 3.

#7 Edited by coasterguy65 (6273 posts) -

Far Cry 3. The first two sucked. You're not loosing anything by jumping right into FC3. Since the story has nothing to do with the first two games anyway.

Far Cry is a series in numbers only. Speaking of which, also check out FC3 Blood Dragon. It has absolutely nothing to do with FC3 story wise, but it's just as fun (probably a little more fun) to play.

#8 Posted by SovietsUnited (2380 posts) -

They aren't connected storywise in any way; perhaps 2 and 3 share the the same theme but other than that, nothing is the related. Start with Far Cry 3

#9 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19115 posts) -

FarCry 1 is a different kind of game from FarCry 2 and 3. It's not an open world sandbox, just a level-based shooter with open ended maps. In fact, every FarCry game feels completely different. So don't worry, you can play FC3 and go back to 1 and 2 without any issue.

#10 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17561 posts) -

I'd stick with Far Cry 3. There's no story to keep track of because each Far Cry has a different story and different set of characters. Then you could try Far Cry 2 if you wish.

#11 Posted by zBzaahh (12 posts) -

First one I played was Far Cry 2, but Far Cry 3 is what got me into the series.

#12 Posted by Kevlar101 (6257 posts) -

@Dannystaples14: I agree with most here. You should absolutely play FarCry 3 first, because as others here have said, it is more approachable. And since there is no cross-over lore (because the story in each game is separate from the other) then you don't have to worry about missing any important plot-lines or anything. :)

#13 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

As far as I know the game aren't really connected. I'd say start with three, it's a blast. From what I've played of two it's not very good. Haven't played one.

#14 Edited by Kevlar101 (6257 posts) -
@Black_Knight_00 said:

FarCry 1 is a different kind of game from FarCry 2 and 3. It's not an open world sandbox, just a level-based shooter with open ended maps. In fact, every FarCry game feels completely different. So don't worry, you can play FC3 and go back to 1 and 2 without any issue.

Finally...someone else who understands how the FarCry title is stylized haha . there are no spaces bectween the lowercase "r" and the uppercase "C" , and the fact that most people don't do this has been driving my OCPD crazy lol

#15 Posted by SoNin360 (5689 posts) -

As many have said, you may as well just start with Far Cry 3. I played a little bit of Far Cry 2 but didn't really get far into it. I didn't give it much of a chance, it was "free" to me anyway. But once I played through Far Cry 3, I felt Far Cry 2 would have been too far of a step down for me to bother with.

#17 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17561 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

Finally...someone else who understands how the FarCry title is stylized haha . there are no spaces bectween the lowercase "r" and the uppercase "C" , and the fact that most people don't do this has been driving my OCPD crazy lol

That's just for the cover. In regular talk, it's Far Cry and Far Cry 3. Even my manual for Far Cry (PC CD) shows it as two words.

#18 Edited by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Each of the Far Cry games are their own independent stories and structure asides from the sequels which are Far Cry Evolution and Predator. But even then, you really don't need the previous games to play and understand them. Far Cry 3 nailed the original concept of Far Cry. So start with that. But other ones are pretty alright.

Here's a list of all the Far Cry games. Avoid Vengeance. It's a Wii game and it is not good.

• Far Cry 4
  • Far Cry 3: Blood Drago
  • Far Cry 2
  • Far Cry:Vengeance
  • Far Cry: Instincts - Predator
  • Far Cry: Instincts - Evolution
  • Far Cry: Instincts
  • Far Cry

Happy playing.

#19 Posted by sukraj (23979 posts) -

If i we're u i'd play Far Cry 3

#20 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19115 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

It's probably "Far Cry", but since the style has remained constant over the years, I like to stylize it. Looks cooler.

By the way, I just realized the franchise turns 10 this year. Nice.

#21 Posted by a55a55inx (4188 posts) -

I think skipping ahead to Far Cry 3 is fine. I played Far Cry 2 when it was first released and found it very boring (too repetitive and missions felt like a chore) I don't even remember the storyline.

#22 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (7149 posts) -

Even though FC3 is the better game overall, FC2 is pretty cool. I'd start with that.

#23 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

Far Cry 1 is, in my opinion, the greatest shooter ever made. Its mechanics still hold up very well today, though you will need to get a community-made patch to keep the AI from seeing you inside of some buildings. The game is very difficult and has a checkpoint-based save system, but the stealth mechanics and gunplay are very satisfying. It's a real treat.