I really wish God of War was never made.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Why did this shit set the precedent for so many action games?

-Slow, clunky, braindead combat where enemies run up to stand around you while you spew out simplistic combos that don't care how stylish or well you do at all. It's like a Musou game without the benefit of hundreds of enemies on the screen and even less technical skill involved or style.
-Overuse of lame QTE's that add nothing of value.
-Slow, plodding, borderline automated "cinematic" climbing/platforming segments. A ton of western games have this shit and I can't figure out why.
-Loose, sloppy feeling controls and dodging tied to the right analog stick for some dumb fucking reason.
-A camera that can't be adjusted at all and is often pulled out way too far.
-"MASH BUTTON TO OPEN DOOR" over and over again.
-"MASH/HOLD BUTTON TO OPEN CHEST/ITEM/HEALTH/MAGIC"
-Constant Zack Snyder-esque slowdown shit during combat.

I just started Marlow Briggs after finishing DMC4 a few hours ago and I feel like I'm dying. I didn't know what to expect but I heard it was a surprisingly good action game. Turns out it's this shit. Bayonetta 2 can't come soon enough.

So many games follow this template and I don't understand why. Why does something so thoroughly awful and criminally boring have so much influence.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

I could hug you.I dislike the God of War games and I don't like how Kratos is often considered Sony's mascot. What about Sackboy? :P

What I really disliked was the story. Basically Kratos kills everyone and screams, "You lied to me! You betrayed me!" and ... he gets fooled into killing his family by the gods or something. Boo hoo. He should've been more attentive.

Sorry to anyone who thinks this post was a little harsh.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

God of War sucks, but other people like it, so I'm not going to be childish and wish it was never made.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

They're just doing it to annoy you. Duh.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

You've been complaining alot lately. Stop it, that my job !

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#6 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Don't be so edgy

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#7 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I thought the games were fun adventures that had some great moments in them. There's a lot of crap that could be fixed, and by God of War: Ascension the formula was showing itself so much I couldn't be bothered to finish the game, but all-in-all the games have been good.

icygangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By icygangsta
Member since 2006 • 2897 Posts

What nonsense. God of War is phenomenal. One of my top 5 franchises.

I loved the story of 1, the game play of 2 and the set pieces/boss battles of 3.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

what the hell are you talking about? I just played the first two recently, i went into them very sceptical. But they are great games. Don't blame them for others mistakes...

Avatar image for deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef
deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#10  Edited By deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef
Member since 2004 • 273 Posts

God of War III" - was nice, the bosses where huge, but that was about it.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

okay, okay, let's back up.

You wish God of War was never created? Why? Because it "set the precedent" for other action games?

What God of War did, it did fine. Fun (albeit simplistic combat), catchy visuals, great pacing, ect. Was the story complicated? No, it was a simple action-y revenge romp. But it was fun.

However, your problem seems to be that it hindered other developers. Why? Because those developers (who copy what you call this "crappy game") would have otherwise created timeless masterpieces akin to Half Life 2? In that case, I wish Call of Duty had never been made, or Halo for that matter.

You can't blame a game because other people copy it. You can hate the game because you don't like it, but stop pretending like the world would be filled with the most exceptional games ever to grace the planet if God and War had never been created. If they created a crappy God of War clone and there was no God of War, then they would have just created a copy of another crappy game.

Go play something else and stop whining.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

Why did this shit set the precedent for so many action games?

-Slow, clunky, braindead combat where enemies run up to stand around you while you spew out simplistic combos that don't care how stylish or well you do at all. It's like a Musou game without the benefit of hundreds of enemies on the screen and even less technical skill involved or style.

-Overuse of lame QTE's that add nothing of value.

-Slow, plodding, borderline automated "cinematic" climbing/platforming segments. A ton of western games have this shit and I can't figure out why.

-Loose, sloppy feeling controls and dodging tied to the right analog stick for some dumb fucking reason.

-A camera that can't be adjusted at all and is often pulled out way too far.

-"MASH BUTTON TO OPEN DOOR" over and over again.

-"MASH/HOLD BUTTON TO OPEN CHEST/ITEM/HEALTH/MAGIC"

-Constant Zack Snyder-esque slowdown shit during combat.

I just started Marlow Briggs after finishing DMC4 a few hours ago and I feel like I'm dying. I didn't know what to expect but I heard it was a surprisingly good action game. Turns out it's this shit. Bayonetta 2 can't come soon enough.

So many games follow this template and I don't understand why. Why does something so thoroughly awful and criminally boring have so much influence.

I dont agree God of War might be overrated but its still a pretty good hack/slash game.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'm not the biggest fan of the God of War franchise, but I think you're being a bit dramatic.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Not me, I'm glad they were made. I really enjoyed them as they were great games even if I didn't enjoy Ascension as much as the other ones.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I haven't played them but without them I'm not sure we would have gotten the two great Darksiders games.

AgeThe6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#17 AgeThe6
Member since 2014 • 179 Posts

I believe I could help you since you just finished Devil May cry 4 and to me it seems like you need that action-adventure satisfaction which still is looking for that action adventure game but nothing really compares once you beat just about all of them a good six or seven times lol.

You should check out these games if you have a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

#1 bayonetta (back in the day when this game first came out it was only a small of people that latched onto it) ( and after a couple months it took off with more people) one story short it is the action videogame you need to play. And you know why me and many others bought a system just to play the second

#2 Devil May cry HD collection (you just have they are awesome games that truly deserve a collection) -fun fact they heavily inspired bayonetta-

#3 Darksiders 1 and 2 (really good action and adventure games with a cool story that you don't see every day)

#4 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (is a pretty good action game as long as you don't take it serious and if you're a fan of platinum games you will enjoy it)

#5 Castlevania lords of shadow 1 and 2 (they are inspired by God of war and themes of combat and some quick time events. But the first one is definitely the best it has a really good story and if you're into classic horror monsters like vampires. Werewolves. And that kind of stuff you will probably really enjoy it. A little note self the second one is not as good as first)

As for the topic itself God of war used to be awesome franchise of course it did have your quick time events that was cool and used properly in the first three games. pretty much God of war was at its peak with the first two games the third game should have been the ending to the Greek mythology part of this franchise.

marlobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 marlobc
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

I never found God of war interesting , but i like its gameplay , it is a good one time play thats it . Kratos should keep his anger in check and stop slaying everyone for his own gain , but he wants his family to be safe and come back from dead , hypocrite!

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

God Of War 2 was pretty dope. Didn't really get into 3 like that. I didn't even bother with Ascensions and the other prequels.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

what the hell are you talking about?

Everything I listed in the first post.

@Essian said:

What God of War did, it did fine.

Are you sure because what it did was terrible. It's agonizing to play.

"However, your problem seems to be that it hindered other developers. Why? Because those developers (who copy what you call this "crappy game") would have otherwise created timeless masterpieces"
Most likely not. They might've attempted to follow the example set by far better action games though. Like Devil May Cry. Or at the very least try to come up with something of their own that has the potential of being decent.

"You can't blame a game because other people copy it."
I can blame it for being so shitty in the first place.

@agethe6 said:
You should check out these games if you have a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

-Bayonetta is one of my all time favorite games.
-I already have DMC Collection
-Not interested in Darksiders as those games have atrocious art and cruddy, simplistic combat.
-Already have MGR, it's a fantastic game as well.
-Not interested in Lords of Shadow games since they have terrible GoW style combat and constant slow "cinematic" climbing bullshit.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure QTE's, basic hack & slashers, and afterthought platforming would have come around without GoW's help :P

Anyway, I doubt I'll ever buy another GoW game (certainly not full price) but I do have a soft spot for the puzzles. They're not even particularly clever puzzles but Santa Monica has a knack for creating annoying characters and then promptly using them as sacrificial lambs. Even beyond that, I like turning really big switches and gears and I don't why.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Pffrbt

Damn It ! You did it again, I hate agreeing with you :( don't you know how painfull it is ?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@jeager_titan said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

I haven't played them but without them I'm not sure we would have gotten the two great Darksiders games.

Darksiders was heavily inspired from DMC, Zelda with a hint of portal.

There's God of War in there somewhere.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

The games are good at what they do. Mind-less hack and slash. Not everyone is going to like them, but saying they should not have been made...why? Every game that has ever been made, should have been made. It was someone's vision, someone's baby.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah, the God of War games are definitely child's play compared to much stronger and well designed action games like the DMC franchise, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, metal gear rising, etc.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

While I do agree that a lot of developers have copied and put their own little spin on elements that God of War popularized, I disagree with the combat being braindead. It is not like you can play on the harder difficulties and just button mash your way through to victory. Besides, we all know that you like fast paced combat. It may not the be the best or hardest, far from it, but it is not super easy,.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I enjoyed GoW a lot, can't say I give a crap what the OP thinks about the series but I'm happy they exist. They were a damn good lot of fun, if you're not "too cool" for them. The combat took some skill to master so what the OP was saying is pretty much pure BS. Loose and sloppy controls? Your opinion is shit...

Blame the shitty devs that use their ideas and can't make them into their own quality game.

MFPunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 MFPunch
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

I liked the God of War games but I'm not going to bother arguing about it because to each his own. But I will say that it did lead directly to Dante's Inferno and that's unforgivable.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

To me the first two games were good but the second story was rubbish. The game nose dive to absurdity for me after three and I vow never to touch another rubbish construct of the series ever again. I would not say that I wish the games weren't made(especially the first two) but that other devs should not simply copy mechanics simply because it was implemented in a successful game but analyse whether the mechanics make their game better or worse before implementing it. So many devs are implementing this mundane button mashing for every interaction I wish I can bash these devs with a sponge bat (just want it to be symbolic not incur harm).