I'm solely disappointed by Dark Souls 2.

• 68 results
#51 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8539 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

Yeah, I made some significant contributions to that.

#52 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16372 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: I'm just curious. 90% of the time when I see you post, it's about how bad RPGs are. Are there games you actually like?

#53 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8539 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

Remove the RPG Elements from pretty much any RPG and I'l like it. Bastion is the Only RPG that this does not apply to.... It was well thought out in its design, infact its difficulty rivals that of Dark Souls..

To be honest though... I'l play anything... I've got wide ranging appreciation for many Genres. From racing games to Adventure Games.

I just don't like the Stats and attributes and level up systems. Its putting an extra layer in between me and the game.

#54 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16372 posts) -
#55 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8539 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

few people are.

Even fewer understand.

#56 Edited by maynardburger (187 posts) -

Its probably because you muck up threads about games you don't like or care about in what is seemingly a campaign to be the person with the most posts on the board.

#57 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8539 posts) -

@maynardburger

You make an excellent point.

#58 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8539 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

Theres is one type of level up mechanic I like..... The Temporary kind.

like Chaos and Reaper form from Dark Siders and The Devil Trigger from Devil May Cry, The Sword of Athena from God Of War.... Wolverine also has one.....

Its Quite simple really... You do a short grind to fill up a "Super Meter" and when its full, you trigger it... Giving you unimaginable power, enough to give god a bloody nose !.... For 10 Seconds...... then you go back to wimp mode ! Temporary Level Up Mechanics are the best. :p

Sadly they are fround upon by even the most hardcore of action gamers. They had a word for it.... Escape Magic or something like that.

#59 Edited by xxninja666xx (396 posts) -

Well, I came here to discuss and what I got was people who don't agree with my opinion (that's good of course, I have no problem with that) without giving any significant points in their statements (that's not good at all) and a troll-rpg-hater, who came here and made the most posts, almost all of them about how bad Dark Souls and RPGs are in general and making fun of everybody. I'm out of here, cause it looks like we won't be able to debate properly.

#60 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

My opinions on your flaws with the game:

I actually felt similar to you when it came to the armor aspect but that slowly changed after I made several other characters. I kinda felt that my knight was too quick, and then I played a Dex build and thought that my character was all the same, but then I made my Mage. I never seemed to hit the level of mobility that I wanted. One tiny piece of clothe would severely limit my roll animation and speed of my character. Considering she relied on dodging to survive, this made some areas tricky. Eventually, I went back to my knight and holy cow I felt like a tank. I also managed to over burden him to the point where he could only walk, which is something that simply didn't happen in the first game. So I understand the complaint, but it's still there, only a bit more subtle.

As for the difficulty: Yeah... there are some enemies that are complete bullshit. The mummies in the Lost Bastille instantly come to mind. They actually appear a few times later in the game, each time on a narrow bridge that you'll just fly off of. There's also an area that's laughably sadistic. Despite these though, I think Dark Souls II is by far the easiest of the Souls series. You can acquire boss weapons very early on, enemy patterns are simple to get down, and there really aren't any bosses that present too large of a challenge. The mummies can still go screw themselves.

To the atmosphere: It definitely isn't as good as DS1. Not at all. There are bits I've mentioned before of how the world just isn't connected all that well (The Iron Keep is literally nowhere) and it annoys the absolute hell out of me. DS2 would be my favorite Souls game if it wasn't for the world feeling so disconnected. However, the rest of your concerns, I disagree with. You're in Drangleic to find a cure. It doesn't matter if someone tells you that you're going to fail. I don't want to live this undead hell, I'm going to try my damndest to get rid of it. As for the game featuring similar stories and locations/monsters and what have you... yeah, without spoilers, that was intentional and it's actually pretty freaking cool. Go talk to the cat in Majula and really listen to what she has to say.

Finally, yes, like I said, the world is disappointingly disconnected to the point where I don't even get the design of the game. You know that foreboding castle off in the distance? That one you can see from Majula? Yeah, once you have to go there, it's about a 2 minute run from Majula. It doesn't make any sense.

#62 Edited by xxninja666xx (396 posts) -

You're in Drangleic to find a cure. It doesn't matter if someone tells you that you're going to fail. I don't want to live this undead hell, I'm going to try my damndest to get rid of it. As for the game featuring similar stories and locations/monsters and what have you... yeah, without spoilers, that was intentional and it's actually pretty freaking cool. Go talk to the cat in Majula and really listen to what she has to say.

Well, maybe you discover the purpose later in the game, who knows? What I meant by that is that you literally don't know why you're even here and just wander aimlessly from place to place only to kill the boss and proceed further. Dark Souls 1 had clear objectives right from the beginning:

1) Go to Undead Church by passing through Undead Burg and ring the first Bell of Awakening

2)Go to Blighttown and ring the Second Bell of Awakening

3) The cutscene shows you gates of Sen's Fortress opening, so you know where to head to. Furthermore, Frampt shows at Firelink Shrine and tells you to go to Anor Londo through Sen's Fortress and acquire the Lordvessel. Then return to him.

4) After getting the Lordvessel, he tells you to kill the 4 Great Lords, get their Souls and sacrifice them in the Lordvessel, giving you the exact location of each Lord.

5) Finally, he tells you to succeed Gwyn.

While all the information you get in DS2 is to "seek the king". Pretty ambiguous, to say the least. Where is he? How do I meet him? Where the hell am I supposed to go? You don't know s*** and the game doesn't give you a slightest hint.

#63 Edited by Hammersmith777 (9 posts) -
#64 Posted by xxninja666xx (396 posts) -

@hammersmith777:

Thanks, that's helpful, but probably won't use it, since there's GeDoSaTo that can do this and much more.

#65 Edited by Byshop (10961 posts) -

Well, I came here to discuss and what I got was people who don't agree with my opinion (that's good of course, I have no problem with that) without giving any significant points in their statements (that's not good at all) and a troll-rpg-hater, who came here and made the most posts, almost all of them about how bad Dark Souls and RPGs are in general and making fun of everybody. I'm out of here, cause it looks like we won't be able to debate properly.

Don't let one jerk ruin the thread for you. The rest of us are here to actually talk about the game.

-Byshop

#66 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8539 posts) -

Byshop's Right..... I don't have the power to single handedly ruin a thread :(..... One Day perhaps :)

#67 Posted by cooolio (427 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39 said:

You're in Drangleic to find a cure. It doesn't matter if someone tells you that you're going to fail. I don't want to live this undead hell, I'm going to try my damndest to get rid of it. As for the game featuring similar stories and locations/monsters and what have you... yeah, without spoilers, that was intentional and it's actually pretty freaking cool. Go talk to the cat in Majula and really listen to what she has to say.

Well, maybe you discover the purpose later in the game, who knows? What I meant by that is that you literally don't know why you're even here and just wander aimlessly from place to place only to kill the boss and proceed further. Dark Souls 1 had clear objectives right from the beginning:

1) Go to Undead Church by passing through Undead Burg and ring the first Bell of Awakening

3) The cutscene shows you gates of Sen's Fortress opening, so you know where to head to. Furthermore, Frampt shows at Firelink Shrine and tells you to go to Anor Londo through Sen's Fortress and acquire the Lordvessel. Then return to him.

4) After getting the Lordvessel, he tells you to kill the 4 Great Lords, get their Souls and sacrifice them in the Lordvessel, giving you the exact location of each Lord.

While all the information you get in DS2 is to "seek the king". Pretty ambiguous, to say the least. Where is he? How do I meet him? Where the hell am I supposed to go? You don't know s*** and the game doesn't give you a slightest hint.

I think those clear objectives are an example of how the world felt connected in Dark Souls 1. You also never have a cutscene moment like the on for Sen's fortress.

#68 Posted by huerito323 (1371 posts) -

I am solely disappointed by your disgraceful opinion.

#69 Edited by xxninja666xx (396 posts) -

@huerito323 said:

I am solely disappointed by your disgraceful opinion.

Why do you think so? Care to explain?

#70 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39 said:

If you talk to the Emerald Maiden and the other NPCs in Majula they make it pretty clear that you're to seek out four great souls from powerful enemies scattered across the land. Once you collect each soul the Maiden will guide you to the castle.

It's no more ambiguous than finding the Bells of Awakening in DS1. You know that's what you're supposed to do but it's basically the same concept in DS2. Sure, you get that nifty cutscene letting you know to go to Sen's Fortress but did anyone really see gargoyles bringing you to Anor Lando happening? It's all about discovery and I think DS1 and 2 are pretty similar in that regard.