I'm not interested in this gen of gaming at all

#1 Edited by psx2514 (224 posts) -

I have zero interest in this generation of gaming. However, I'm trying to figure out if this is just me (if it's a personal issue I have (such as getting too old and busy for gaming or losing my personal interest in gaming even though gaming hasn't gone downhill), or if there's a legitimate reason (such as gaming has gone downhill, for example) that many other people agree with and because of that share my lack of interest in this gen or gaming). I'm not looking to argue with people who are interested in this gen. I'm looking for feedback from guys around my age (early 30s) who also aren't interested in gaming this gen who believe it's the gaming industries fault.

For me, I think it could be a combination of the state of gaming today in general and personal issues such as not having the time or money to be buying or playing new games.

And by the way, this is the first time since I started gaming back in the 80s that I had no interest in any of the consoles from a generation.

#2 Edited by Archangel3371 (15555 posts) -

It might be you have just lost interest in gaming or other things have simply become more important to you. Personally I find gaming to be better then it has ever been and I've been an avid gamer for over 35 years now so I've pretty much been through it all. You may just be going through a temporary phase as well.

#3 Edited by Behardy24 (3909 posts) -

It might be you have just lost interest in gaming or other things have simply become more important to you. Personally I find gaming to be better then it has ever been and I've been an avid gamer for over 35 years now so I've pretty much been through it all. You may just be going through a temporary phase as well.

I agree with you. There are so much options in what games you play and where you play them that it is the best time in all of video game history to be a game player.

#4 Edited by sukraj (22613 posts) -

Maybe u should look for a new hobby.

#5 Edited by naz99 (1323 posts) -

More genres of games and more diversity than ever before and you paint all the games with the same brush because they are released recently??

Time to give up gaming if that's how you think

#6 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8468 posts) -

I am 32, married, have my own house with lots if work to do. I work 12 hour days at work. I have very little free time. But I still love gaming when I can fit it in. I have every current system hooked up to my tv and jump around. I don't see myself ever totally giving up gaming. Even though now I feel more like a game collector than player lol

#7 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@psx2514 said:

I'm not looking to argue with people who are interested in this gen. I'm looking for feedback from guys around my age (early 30s) who also aren't interested in gaming this gen who believe it's the gaming industries fault.

This line makes me think you just want people to agree with you. Why ask the question if you do not want dissenting opinion and state the only people you want to hear frm are those that feel the same.

You gave the answer you want in your own question, and I am not sure how many like minded individuals you will fin on gamespot, at least in games discussion.

#8 Edited by juboner (454 posts) -

I am around your age and so far nothing has got me excited for x1 and ps4. Its the games, I do not care one bit about indie games and I have played Halo so much it doesn't get me excited in the least. But all this could change during E3, I need to see new IP's new ideas and experiences that look as enticing as the games shown at the E3 at beginning of 360/ps3 generation where they showed Assassins Creed along with ES 4 Oblivion. The only game that got me hyped and excited so far was MGS 5 but not so much anymore after the release of ground zereos.

#9 Edited by psx2514 (224 posts) -

@mattykovax: You're right. I am looking for people who agree with me. I'm not looking to argue with people about this because that's not my intent. I'm looking for people who feel the same way I do. I'm trying to decide if my lack of interest in video games is an internal issue with myself, or if there's a legitimate reason that people agree with (such as lack of good games) for me not being interested. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with me for not being interested in this gaming gen or if it's gaming itself that let me down, and if it's let other gamers around my age down as well.

#10 Posted by psx2514 (224 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn: I said I had no interest in this gen of gaming. I never said I was giving up on gaming completely. I still enjoy playing the games I already own. I just have no interest in the PS4/X1 gen or any of it's games. I just find this weird for me because it's the first time in my gaming life that I haven't been interested let alone excited about any of the new consoles.

#11 Edited by Ariabed (1104 posts) -

Seems like your done with gaming altogether, you say you have no interest in nx gen gaming, then you say;

"I don't know (if it's a personal issue I have (such as getting too old and busy for gaming or losing my personal interest in gaming even though gaming hasn't gone downhill)"

Why would any of that make a difference to your interest in nx gen gaming, it would make a difference to your interest in gaming over all.

You are confused.

#12 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8468 posts) -

@psx2514: I couldn't wait to the new gen to start. I thought it was overdue if anything. I watched e3 last year excited for the new console reveals and the next day ran out and preordered a ps4 and xbox one.

#13 Posted by blamix (203 posts) -

@psx2514: maybe its because there no games on PS4 and X1 interests you yet. Even this year the best games i played are not even on PS4/X1. Dark Souls 2 and South Park is the best this year for me so far

#14 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@psx2514:

my point Is how can you make an honest assessment if you only want opinions that agree with you. I am not saying you should have to argue, just that a more well rounded response pool makes for better critical judgements.

#15 Edited by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

I'm in my 30's and I've felt that my level of excitement towards gaming has diminished somewhat over the past few years. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still get excited when a new game releases that I really want, and I was stoked that I got my PS4 on launch day and all, but I just don't have the desire to game like I used to. I feel that my time could be better spent doing things that better my life.

#16 Posted by gamenerd15 (4448 posts) -

interests and priorities change. As of right now, the gaming industry is in a transitional period. The digital market is flaring up and some people do not like that physical media is taking somewhat of a back seat. With the new hardware just recently released, everyone wants to make an open world game or some kind of multi-mass player game. Infamous, Assassins Creed, The Witcher, Titanfall, Destiny, Sunset Overdrive. Right now the market is saturated with a lot of the same type of game. Once we get over the hurdle of the consoles being new and how much power they have, then the creativity will begin to flow. There are still some creative games out there like Octodad, Contrast, Transistor, Thomas Was Alone, and so on.

I would suggest trying a new genre that does not normally interest you. If that does not help, then just stop gaming. You had your fill, just find something else to do.

#17 Edited by M8ingSeezun (2002 posts) -

I felt the same way last gen. I'm 36 now, going for 37 next month. A few years ago, my level of excitement for video games diminished, but deep down I knew gaming was still a part of me. I realize that owning more than 1 CONSOLE per gen can be overwhelming FOR ME. So at the end, I decided to own just a PS3 and couldn't be more happier. That way, I'm more focused on investing into the system and experiencing MORE games the PS3 has to offer, rather than jumping from one system after another. The logic in this, and i'm sure some may disagree, is that I get to spend more time and get the best experience out of 1 console, eliminating the burden of backlogs and clutter. And timing in my schedule is also very limited, therefore owning just 1 console fits perfect into that logic I just mentioned. Next month, likely after E3, I'm getting a PS4 and that would likely be more than enough for me to enjoy gaming for an entire generation.

#18 Posted by HipHopBeats (2893 posts) -

This 'next gen' nonsense so far sucks unless you're a graphics whore stressing 1080p bullshit. Nothing but AAA hype, annual sequels, HD remakes, season passes and more pre order bonuses. Second Son and Titanfall are two examples of exclusives that cashed in off the hype but failed to deliver anything 'next gen'. So far I haven't seen a reason to buy a next gen console. I'm sticking with my PS3 for now.

#19 Edited by trollop_scat (2648 posts) -

@psx2514: I agree with you 100%, the only game I'm looking forward to is Fallout 4. The kids on this site think gaming is at an all-time high, try not to flame their dumb asses - you may get reported by the goofballs.

I can't remember seeing the announcement of a game that pushed my Interesting button in a long time. Even Blizzard has gone down the gutter. MMORPGs suck, even the new ones. FPSs are all the same game with different skins. Capcom has imploded. Nintendo has become putrid puke, despite introducing me to gaming when I was a kid and loved them (NES, then SNES).

Gaming is for youngsters, like Hollywood movies. Mature adults look around and begin to sneer at the crap before moving on to other things. I'm 35 now and wish I liked gaming as much as I did awhile ago, I have a gaming PC and a 30" monitor that shows graphics off at the 25x16 resolution. When Fallout 4 comes out in a couple years I'll upgrade to a 4K monitor and a better rig. I don't have much hope in any other RPGs.

Anyway, ignore the immature posters here claiming you don't understand gaming. They'll grow up in the coming years and repeat what you said in the OP. I don't think anyone should buy any of the new consoles; invest that money into a PC upgrade you can surf the internet with before playing a maxed out video game against/with a superior, more mature community. Or wait for Fallout 4 to upgrade your rig...

#20 Edited by blueboxdoctor (2397 posts) -

Probably just need a break from gaming. People say gaming now is horrible because of AAA games and yearly releases (but I really only see that for COD and AC so IDK how solid that argument really is) but there are tons of indie games that have a cool retro feel and there's a lot of diversity in genres. Sure, the new systems are currently lacking games but that makes sense considering how new they are. But yeah, probably just a break is needed. I've been finding it better when I get into just a few games throughout a year instead of rushing to play everything that comes out (especially since prices drop so quickly anymore it's best just to get what you really want and wait for the rest) so that way I can get into a game (doing it right now for Dark Souls II but last year the big games for me were Tomb Raider, Bioshock: Infinite, The Last of Us [unfortunately I didn't enjoy it much], Beyond: Two Souls). I've taken breaks from gaming/just casually gamed for a couple months and went back to it, usually spend the time doing other things like catching up on reading or writing a few songs.

#21 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71410 posts) -

@psx2514: by the sound of it, it looks like you have lost the interest. It might just be that you just have played too much and you are oversaturated. Just take a break. There are other things in life you can enjoy

#22 Edited by Ariabed (1104 posts) -

@HipHopBeats: "This 'next gen' nonsense so far sucks unless you're a graphics whore stressing 1080p bullshit. Nothing but AAA hype, annual sequels, HD remakes, season passes and more pre order bonuses. Second Son and Titanfall are two examples of exclusives that cashed in off the hype but failed to deliver anything 'next gen'. So far I haven't seen a reason to buy a next gen console. I'm sticking with my PS3 for now."

Totally agree except I'm sticking with my 360, I may give it 6months to a year before breaking into the next gen I still have a bunch of games yet to play, plus there will still be games coming out for 360/ps3 for a while yet.

#23 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4871 posts) -

Then System Wars is not the place for you. (but I get what you mean in a way)

#24 Edited by HipHopBeats (2893 posts) -

@ariabed: Exactly. I don't mind playing next gen games on my PS3. Especially if the only difference is a slight downgrade in graphics. I just saw Wolfenstein on 360 and it looks fine if you're not a graphics whore.

#25 Edited by Justin_G (199 posts) -

i'd say it's probably because (like me) you find that a: this generation of gaming and the last isn't that comparably different, aside from the new tech providing a more visually stimulating experience and somewhat faster and smoother experience and b: the release of next gen games has been slow as a trickle and c: the last vestige of the last generation of games are actually still coming out and people are quick to hype a game as "next gen" simply because we're in the next generation of gaming; when some of these games (GTA5, AC4, Destiny, Watch Dogs, ect) were in development before this generation of gaming. (sure some of them were right on the cusp of it, and were developing for next gen consoles, but does that make them next gen gaming?)

the only next gen games i see out right now are 1: Resogun 2: the new Killzone 3: Infamous Second Son. and MAYBE Titanfall? though all of the aforementioned are almost still hard to describe as next gen period.)

that may be why... i know i'm still excited for gaming (always will be) but this is one reason why i am not jumping on a new PS4 or Xbox One. there is no prevalent games for neither at this point, that couldn't have been done (although with worse framerate/graphics, smaller development cycle ect) on the last gen consoles.

#26 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (681 posts) -

I'm with you buddy! I got GTA for the PS3 and it's the only game I'm interested in playing on my console these days. I play Dota 2 on the PC, and I'm not really a huge fan of that game either, I would have rathered be playing Warcraft 4 and Half-Life 3, alas video game companies don't listen.

#27 Edited by jasonredemption (253 posts) -

We need new IPs enough with the indie hype and the sequel delusions. End of discussion.

#28 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

I think it's mainly you. I have less time than ever, too. But there's so many different ways to game now-a-days.

#29 Edited by Justin_G (199 posts) -

I'm with you buddy! I got GTA for the PS3 and it's the only game I'm interested in playing on my console these days. I play Dota 2 on the PC, and I'm not really a huge fan of that game either, I would have rathered be playing Warcraft 4 and Half-Life 3, alas video game companies don't listen.

yes, they really need to you specifically... because you are the arbiter of all truth and knowledge on the aspect of what is good in gaming. and what is good is solely three games.

#30 Posted by Justin_G (199 posts) -

We need new IPs enough with the indie hype and the sequel delusions. End of discussion.

yes, indie games suck (because making games is only about you) and new IP's are SOOO easy to make. *shakes head*

#31 Edited by psx2514 (224 posts) -

@mattykovax: I'm looking for people who agree with me on the issue of not being interested in this gen of gaming. Then I want to find out if those people, in general, aren't interested in this gen of gaming because they don't like the direction gaming is going, or if it's more because of personal issues such as lack of money and/or time or perhaps they lost interest in video games all together. Basically, it boils down to two categories: (1) People who want to be interested in this gen of gaming, but just can't afford to due to lack of time or money (this could also include people who such a large backlog of games to finish that it wouldn't be in their best interest to buy new games right now). (2) People who even if they had the time or money to be interested, choose not to anyways because there's nothing about this gen of gaming itself that interests them.

However, there are some people like me, I assume, who fall into both categories. I lack the time or money to be interested in gaming this gen, but even if I had the time or money, I still don't think I'd be interested because I just don't like the direction gaming is heading. All games seem the same to me (one FPS after another, for instance), the only thing that's gotten better, as I've seen it are the technical issues (the technical side of gaming has improved while the creative side has diminished, and the latter is more important), all the games that are really just interactive movies (the ones where the trailer looks more like a movie trailer than a game trailer), and finally the heavy emphasis on online multi-player while making the single player campaign an after thought.

#32 Edited by Behardy24 (3909 posts) -

@psx2514: If you find yourself not enjoying the AAA releases, you could play indie games. They are both cheap and non time consuming. Plus, they aren't a strain to most PCs out there. If your looking for more creative theme games, that is where I advise you should look.

#33 Posted by BigCat2K20 (248 posts) -

This 'next gen' nonsense so far sucks unless you're a graphics whore stressing 1080p bullshit. Nothing but AAA hype, annual sequels, HD remakes, season passes and more pre order bonuses. Second Son and Titanfall are two examples of exclusives that cashed in off the hype but failed to deliver anything 'next gen'. So far I haven't seen a reason to buy a next gen console. I'm sticking with my PS3 for now.

It feels that 8th generation video game era (next gen) are all about those things you listed. When it comes to remakes, there are people who haven't play certain games (Ratchet & Clank, Killzone, God Of War, Sly Cooper & other series). Plus, it'll give them the chance to play & know what's going on. As for AAA hype, annual sequels, MORE pre-order bonuses & season passes, no argument there. I haven't play Infamous Second Son yet & will play it in the future. As for Titanfall, I can go get the game for Xbox 360 & be cool about it! I'll get an PS4 (pending on bundle & price) in the future.

#34 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3602 posts) -

at this point theres nothing to be excited about either, im getting where everyones disappointment is coming from. Just hd remakes of games that were already in HD, and horrible short games with dlcs you have to dish out more money for to complete the game the way it was originally meant to be.

Theres not an exclusive console game anywhere i'd get a console to play. I'm done for good with any Halo or Uncharted game, and any rehash of any so called great first party games which i've played most of them and never took a second look at after I finished them. Theres bound to be a few fun games eventually but i'll get them on PC if possible rather then waste hundreds of dollars on a weak gaming machine.