I'm 30+ and loosing interest in these popcorn games...

#1 Edited by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

I was thinking a lot of games are developed with the younger gamer in mind, so I'm finding it difficult to get into a lot of the newer games that are coming out like Gta5 in my younger day I would have been all over that shit but now it just bores me, AC4 at first I loved it but now I've lost all interest in playing it, all missions are repetitive including main missions, now the last AC game I played before AC4 was AC2 now granted AC4 has the pirate theme going on but but the on land part of the game is the same as when I last played AC all those years ago it's f**king ridiculous, I've recently purchased watchdogs and I have been enjoying it but I can tell I will soon get bored of it also.

As you can see I like my open world games because I just can't stand linear scripted gameplay, most open world games coming out now are just to shallow, I call them popcorn games, I don't know why I call them that It just seems fitting. I think devs are not putting enough thought into pleasing us older gamers who require a bit more substance to missions story and gameplay.

Now I loved games like dragon age, dark souls, dishonored, deus ex HR, fallout 3, mass effect, These are the kinda games I can get into, but unless R* come up with some major changes I'm done with the gta series, same with AC and watchdogs, farcry all these popcorn titles that just bore me with release after release of the same formula with slight changes, it's just not good enough.

Ok rant over

#2 Posted by iTrueColors (52 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption?

#3 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Play some Divinity: Original Sin, it's kept me well satisfied. Enjoyable, deep, satisfying open world RPG. Check it out, you can even coop if you so choose. The game releases in 2 weeks but it's still great in beta.

#4 Posted by Shmiity (5241 posts) -

Seems like you have a problem with Ubisoft sandbox games. I do, too.

Try some outside-the-box adventure/story games, like: Catherine, Heavy Rain, Walking Dead (Telltale).

#5 Posted by Mesomorphin (864 posts) -

You are looking in all the wrong places.

#6 Posted by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@mesomorphin: where are the right places?

#7 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Maybe try playing some indie games.

#8 Posted by Pffrbt (6594 posts) -

@ariabed said:
As you can see I like my open world games because I just can't stand linear scripted gameplay

The missions in open world games are linear, shallow, and scripted as shit though. Try playing some not open world games that actually have decent pacing and gameplay.

#9 Posted by sukraj (23648 posts) -

Don't lose faith my brother and sisters

#10 Posted by Bigboi500 (30511 posts) -

Try something other than mainstream blockbusters. Try something like Child of Light or Transistor.

#11 Posted by blangenakker (2533 posts) -

Get a PC?

#12 Edited by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@Pffrbt: "The missions in open world games are linear, shallow, and scripted as shit though"

That's true for some of the popcorn titles I mentioned, which is also why I'm not enjoying them anymore, but games like deus ex HR, fallout3, dishonored give a lot of freedom during missions, these are the kinda games I like.

#14 Posted by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@behardy24: I've never played any indie titles I didn't think that they could provide a good gaming experience, are indie games

Good quality? Any good open world indie titles or stealth shooters?

#15 Posted by thehig1 (3036 posts) -

@blangenakker: get a pc. ..exactly what I was thinking too

#16 Posted by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@thehig1: everything about PC gaming scares me to death. It just seems so complicated and expensive.

#17 Edited by Pedro (21318 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@thehig1: everything about PC gaming scares me to death. It just seems so complicated and expensive.

Its as complicated as using PSN and Xbox Live and as expensive as you want it to be.

#18 Posted by Minishdriveby (10291 posts) -

Look into the Witcher games. Witcher 3 is going to be openworld.

#19 Posted by loafofgame (785 posts) -
@ariabed said:

It can be expensive, yes, but it's not as complicated as it seems (although modding can be a bit of a hassle). Once you've learned what to do, you can often easily repeat it later on. I'm not a technical person and I had never built a pc before, but I built a new rig in an afternoon, using a Youtube tutorial. You can find everything you need to know on the internet.

Anyway, on topic, getting a pc won't really change anything, I think. I'm not sure indie games will give you the kind of open world experience you seem to desire... But really, if open world is your main interest, you might want to broaden your horizon and just play different games. I mean, I play shooters, puzzle games, strategy games, point and click, rpg's, platformers, etc, and I must say, I'm never bored. I also tend to play several games during the same period, so that I don't fatigue myself too quickly by being overexposed to one particular game.

Of course, it kind of depends on how broad your idea of open world is. How important are graphics for you? Does a roguelike or survival aspect appeal to you? (several indie games have procedurally generated worlds to explore, but they often don't look as good as AAA titles and death in these games is usually permanent without the option to save your progress) Also, if you liked DE:HR, then maybe you'll like the Batman Arkham games? Or the Witcher 2? The Hitman games aren't open world, but they offer several ways to complete a level...

And if all else fails, let's just hope The Witcher 3 will be as good as everyone hopes it will be... ;-)

#20 Posted by SovietsUnited (2369 posts) -

Sounds to me like you're burned out on open-world and need to broaden your horizon; play genres you're not too familiar with, try games with overworlds, and give indie and older games a shot.

But if you're determined to play only open-world, give an RPG a chance

#21 Edited by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@loafofgame: cheers man for your suggestions, yeah I don't just play openworld games, I also like racing games like forza4/horizon erm fighting games like UFC3, strategy games like xcom enemy within, but I would say open world is my favourite genre. I do have batman AC it's amazing, I didn't bother with Arkham origins I heard it's more of the same but Arkham knight looks good.

I'm not a graphics whore, gameplay means more to me than graphics.

Like I said I think I'm just done with the mainstream titles, and I will just stick with Bethesda Rpg's and serious RPGs of that sort, and games like deus ex and dishonored actual serious games. The new dragon age should be good and the new MGS5 also.

#22 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7752 posts) -

I have found that my opinion of modern games gets a whole lot better if I just stop playing games made by EA, Ubisoft, and Activision. Just stick to the quality developers and publishers like Naughty Dog, Nintendo, CD Projekt Red, Stardock, and Rocksteady.

#23 Edited by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@SovietsUnited: ok I've always thought games like fallout3, mass effect, skyrim are RPG's are they not? Also I don't just play open world games I have a mixed selection but open world games are my favourite genre.

#24 Edited by bussinrounds (2276 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@SovietsUnited: ok I've always thought games like fallout3, mass effect, skyrim are RPG's are they not? Also I don't just play open world games I have a mixed selection but open world games are my favourite genre.

Hmm...You're tired of popcorn games, yet you name the most mainstream/casual RPGs there are, I think perspective is a problem.

Consoles don't get most of the deeper games, especially these days. You liked X-com ? There's a sweet X-com like game called Xenonauts that just came out for pc, check it out. Strategy games don't even really come out on consoles and the new X-com was kind of a rarity, to tell you the truth.

There are RPGs coming down the pipe like Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Age of Decadence, Tides of Numenera which will be similar to the deeper, more thoughtful and tactical RPGs of the past. (not just action games with light RPG elements)

You have great immersive sims like System Shock 2, Thief games (1 & 2 are prob the best stealth games ever), original Deus Ex, Vampire: Bloodlines, STALKER games...

Horror games, adventure games….stuff that never sees the light of day on consoles.

Seriously, just get a pc.

#25 Edited by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@bussinrounds: "Hmm...You're tired of popcorn games, yet you name the most mainstream/casual RPGs there are, I think perspective is a problem"

Hey I came up with the phrase so I will decide what games qualify to be called popcorn games ok :P

Now my definition of a popcorn game is a an open world game with little or no substance to side missions, quite linear scripted main missions, and is filled with numerous repetitive side quest that just feel like a chore to get through them all. Also the gameplay isn't the most challenging either.

I've played all the deus ex games so far and I love the series,

I really could do with a solid RPG surely there are some on 360?

I did buy stalker years ago but as I didn't really understand PC gaming I thought it would just work on my standard PC, it did work but it ran like an old man and was unbearable to play, it looked like a really good game.

I heard PC gaming is expensive I mean like getting a good rig build, If I had the spare money I prob would look into PC gaming but I think any spare money I have will go on getting an XB1.

#26 Edited by bussinrounds (2276 posts) -
@ariabed said:

Now my definition of a popcorn game is a an open world game with little or no substance to side missions, quite linear scripted main missions, and is filled with numerous repetitive side quest that just feel like a chore to get through them all. Also the gameplay isn't the most challenging either.

You've pretty much just described Behesda's game design.

As for good RPGs on the 360….I'd say Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen and Fallout: New Vegas.

(yea, New Vegas is done in the same shitty engine as Fallout 3/Oblivion/Skyrim, but at least it has some decent writing that falls more in line with Fallout 1/2) Plus it has better reactivity/choices & consequences..

And bro, you don't even need to spend a lot of money on a pc/have this 'great rig', if you're into crpgs/strategy anyway really. There's a shitload of great older titles which are worth playing, that run on lower specs machines. You say you want to get into 'more serious rpgs', you're not a graphics whore, sick of popcorn games, ect… well getting a console over pc kinda contradicts that. Plus the upcoming crpgs and the like I mentioned shouldn't have that high specs anyway.

#27 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3901 posts) -

i think your outta luck there TC, rockstar isn't gonna change their GTA formula just to please a few people that have gotten to old to play it anymore. The game sold insanely well so I don't think they will change anything much in their GTA formula unless people stop buying them.

I'm a bit like you in a way cause I'm older and don't like wasting time in games that make you do repetitive boring stuff, but I take what I can from games.

You ever played Saints row 3 and 4? I really prefer them to any other GTA type game.

#28 Posted by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@bussinrounds: "As for good RPGs on the 360….I'd say Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen and Fallout: New Vegas"

Yeh I've clocked Darksouls I mentioned it in my OP, I've heard mixed reviews about new Vegas but it will be dead cheap now so guess it's worth a go, and I will look into your other suggestions, cheers

"And bro, you don't even need to spend a lot of money on a pc/have this 'great rig', if you're into crpgs/strategy anyway really"

Bro if i was to have a gaming PC I would want one that's good enough to play all the best titles for it for sure.

#29 Posted by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

@Old_Gooseberry: I don't think it's wise to totally alienate us old guys, we are still a sizeable consumer.

saints row it always seemed a bit silly and over the top with its storylines and gameplay. I haven't played saints row since the very first one. I have been eyeing up saints row4 though.

#30 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3901 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@Old_Gooseberry:

saints row it always seemed a bit silly and over the top with its storylines and gameplay. I haven't played saints row since the very first one. I have been eyeing up saints row4 though.

you should play Saints Row 3 before 4 if you can. The storyline picks up nicely from the end of the third game in a crazy way to say the least. I didn't play the console versions just the PC ones, and I found Saints Row 4 ran a bit better then Saints Row 3, so i think it was better optimized... i never saw my framerate drop at any point in SR4.

Saints Row 1 and 2 were kinda boring to be honest, it wasn't until the third and fourth one i was shocked and impressed at how the game took off in its own direction.

#31 Posted by marlobc (802 posts) -

i recommend you lolly pop chainsaw ( lol jk) , try The last of us and destiny when it comes out . I thought AC4 was great , i am in my late 20s too , so i know what you mean

#32 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17142 posts) -

Play some Non-linear games that are not Open World.... Like Hitman and Splinter Cell.

Or buy Disney Infinity and make your own mini games...