I love the G-Spot....scoring system.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RickPhoenixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Edited By RickPhoenixxx
Member since 2013 • 264 Posts

Big release titles that are competent without any glaring flaws? 8. For reference see Watch Dogs, Mario Kart, ect. Big release titles that are near perfect? 9. See Dark Souls 2, Gta 5, ect. 1-7? Obvious garbage you shouldn't waste your time on. I LOVE this system, it's much more accurate and well thought out than the older .5's or that dumb Ign 100 point scale:)

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

ummmmm.......okay.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Uh huh. So anything under an 8 is a piece of shit under the "new" system whereas the line was drawn in the previous rating system where? Honestly, I hate the narrowed down rating system. Way too much rounding and most games fall within the same 3 scores.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I HATE ALL SCORING/RATING SYSTEMS ! ! !

But I will settle for the 5 Star Sytem (Yes it has to have Stars) its proven too be the least backwards of all of them.

But if it were up to me.... If you wanted to know whether or not to buy a game you will READ THE WHOLE REVIEW, 5 pages of it..... (Yes reveiws will be long as f*#*#)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

also there would be no video reviews either.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

also there would be no video reviews either.

But those are my favorites :(

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

There would be gameplay videos but you won't hear somebody trying to frame the context.....

I was watching an Arkham Origins Video Review and the dude made some negative comment about the voice acting and took a tiny snippet of Alfred out context to back it up..... I believed him.... Untill I played the game.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I HATE ALL SCORING/RATING SYSTEMS ! ! !

But I will settle for the 5 Star Sytem (Yes it has to have Stars) its proven too be the least backwards of all of them.

But if it were up to me.... If you wanted to know whether or not to buy a game you will READ THE WHOLE REVIEW, 5 pages of it..... (Yes reveiws will be long as f*#*#)

I'm fine with the 10 point scale here on GameSpot, but I do agree with you that a 5 star system is the best. It serves as a score, then it doesn't as the site visitor will have read through the actual review.

But if a review was 5 pages, I would call that more of an analyst of the whole game! Which actual might be interesting.....

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

Some people write 2 page articles about a single gameplay mechanic...... Those are my favourite !

I could read about Gears Of War's "Active Reload" System For Hours !

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Glad to see you live your sadist life in such a borrowing blind direction. Also great to see you lay all your confidence and judgment in the precious hands of Gamespot employees.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

Some people write 2 page articles about a single gameplay mechanic...... Those are my favourite !

I could read about Gears Of War's "Active Reload" System For Hours !

Could you link an example of an article that does that? I've never seen anyone that actually writes that much about a single thing in a game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

LOL I may have Exagerate just alil bit.... But this is pretty close

www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/218696/the_blue_shell_and_its_discontents.php

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

It's ok. My favourite is the 100 point scale as it more finely narrows things down. The 20 point scale would be my second favourite and the current 10 point my third.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@Archangel3371

I don't understand...... I've always believed that the simpler the system the better it is.

What exactly does having so many numbers narrow down ?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

LOL I may have Exagerate just alil bit.... But this is pretty close

www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/218696/the_blue_shell_and_its_discontents.php

I heard talks of that article in different parts of the internet *wink wink*, but never got myself to read it.

Anyway, that would be cool if a whole site out there was devoted to breaking down the game in both mechanics and stories and review each bit of it individually and then give their thoughts on it when it's all piece together. But more isn't always better. I also imagine keeping your reader entertain and interested throughout the whole article is mind-bloggly hard. Maybe if the writer releases it in daily bits, that might help. We might be on to something here @Lulu_Lulu.......

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

We are :O ?

I don't think people are interested.... Most of the time they just want to know how many hours they can get out of game.... Which is funny because developers want to know how many hours they can get out of gamers.

www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27646/GDC_Heckers_Nightmare_Scenario__A_Future_Of_Rewarding_Players_For_Dull_Tasks.php

Gamesutra likes talking about these things.... Its a website for game developer to discuss the "underneath the hood" type game design. I go there and educate myself frequently..... I wanted to create an account but it seems like you have to be a developer if you wana join. :(

no worries..... When Project Spark comes out... I'l be a "developer" :p...... We all will!

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

We are :O ?

I don't think people are interested.... Most of the time they just want to know how many hours they can get out of game.... Which is funny because developers want to know how many hours they can get out of gamers.

www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27646/GDC_Heckers_Nightmare_Scenario__A_Future_Of_Rewarding_Players_For_Dull_Tasks.php

Gamesutra likes talking about these things.... Its a website for game developer to discuss the "underneath the hood" type game design. I go there and educate myself frequently..... I wanted to create an account but it seems like you have to be a developer if you wana join. :(

no worries..... When Project Spark comes out... I'l be a "developer" :p...... We all will!

I can see what your saying in that a mass number of people online won't care much for our idea, but there will always be that niche market that needs it :D. I also think it would be great way to spark conservation about certain mechanics and story elements within a game and how it's good in the game or not and how to make it better.

I know what Gamesurta is, never find myself on there often though (Which I should be since I find the business side of video games really interesting). Never knew that you had to be a developer to make an account though. A smart idea actually since it filters all the trolls and internet spam bots off their sites.

And yes, you will be a developer when Project Spark comes out. At least, in your heart you will :P

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

Project Spark should have its own seperate board in this forumn..... :)

I'm hoping E3 has a release date.... The beta seems to going well so I say the wrap things and ship it out.... Hopefully with more payment models other than free to play.....

But you know... Theres a bunch of people here on gamepot who are interested in things other than "Whats/List your favourite Game Whatever" and Resolution Wars and Exclusives and all that Jazz...... I show them love the best way I know how.... A debate.... A chance to exercise and use that knowledge.... I'm sure at some point or another Kamiya and Itagaki argue about who would win in a Breakdancing Tournament between Platinum and Team Ninja characters ;).

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

Project Spark should have its own seperate board in this forumn..... :)

I'm hoping E3 has a release date.... The beta seems to going well so I say the wrap things and ship it out.... Hopefully with more payment models other than free to play.....

But you know... Theres a bunch of people here on gamepot who are interested in things other than "Whats/List your favourite Game Whatever" and Resolution Wars and Exclusives and all that Jazz...... I show them love the best way I know how.... A debate.... A chance to exercise and use that knowledge.... I'm sure at some point or another Kamiya and Itagaki argue about who would win in a Breakdancing Tournament between Platinum and Team Ninja characters ;).

But there is already a Project Spark forum on the GameSpace: http://www.gamespot.com/project-spark/forums/

E3 sounds like the best time to announced that stuff, especially at Microsoft's Press conference

And you just called GameSpot gamepot. :P Who is this Kamita and Itagaki? Are they users cause I never seen'em around. But a debate on a breakdancing tournament between Platinum and Team Ninja characters sounds like an honest debate.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

I don't Qualify for the Beta so I have nothing to contribute.... Will check it out when its available....

Oh I miss Spelt those names.

Hideki Kamiya, Creator and Director of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta and Okami.

Tomonobu Itagaki, Creator and Director of Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive.....

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

They just give games an 8 to avoid the screaming of fanboys

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Archangel3371

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Archangel3371

I don't understand...... I've always believed that the simpler the system the better it is.

What exactly does having so many numbers narrow down ?

I prefer more precision in my review scores by having more numbers. On a ten point scale two games can have an 8 but on a 20 point one may be an 8 and another may be an 8.5 while further along on the 100 point scale one may be an 8.1 and the other an 8.9.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@Archangel3371

Yeah and ?

Still not seeing why the accuracy matters...... But then I did say the whole concept of scoring is ridiculous...... Soooo maybe thats why its not clicking for me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Archangel3371

Yeah and ?

Still not seeing why the accuracy matters...... But then I did say the whole concept of scoring is ridiculous...... Soooo maybe thats why its not clicking for me.

Yeah exactly. I like the accuracy it brings and you don't think it matters.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu

@Archangel3371

Or Maybe it only Matters because thinking it matters makes it matter. :)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Archangel3371

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Archangel3371

Or Maybe it only Matters because thinking it matters makes it matter. :)

Well it matters to me so in the end that's all that really, well, matters. :P

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#26 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Most of my reviews should be read in context. I point out flaws, but whether or not it hindered my experience depends on how long I write about it in my review. I only put in a number score because sites won't let me post without one XD

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Exactly ! I really wish the Score wasn't mandatory....

RickPhoenixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RickPhoenixxx

@behardy24: the second part was sarcastic lol.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

I don't Qualify for the Beta so I have nothing to contribute.... Will check it out when its available....

Oh I miss Spelt those names.

Hideki Kamiya, Creator and Director of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta and Okami.

Tomonobu Itagaki, Creator and Director of Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive.....

Oh okay. That makes sense now. A Kamiya and Itagaki character dance battle seems like a respectively debate. But if I had to bet money, I think Kamiya's characters would smash Itagaki's if any took place. :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#30 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

the new one is crap. The old one they had two site designs ago was the best. They gave a character to each part of the game which basicly was the final score. Instead of just slapping some random number

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

Considering I don't know of any of Itagaki's to dance then I'm inclined to agree with you.

RickPhoenixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RickPhoenixxx

@The_Last_Ride: That sounds pretty nice actually, they should go back to that.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#33 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

the new one is crap. The old one they had two site designs ago was the best. They gave a character to each part of the game which basicly was the final score. Instead of just slapping some random number

Never quite understood the "reviewer's tilt" there... I believe it was used to boost or reduce the final score based on the overall experience, right?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#34 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@SovietsUnited: Yeah, it was basicly what the reviewer thought about the overall game. Meaning you could either put the score up for the game or subtract a few points. Meaning what the reviewer thought of the game. Which is totally fine. At the end of the day we aren't robots, we are people with subjective opinions. If someone can break down the game with text and justify it with a score and then give their own score as something additional is something i like

@rickphoenixxx: They won't. They went from a 100 points scale, to a 20 points scale and now only a 10 point scale. I've never really liked just giving the overall game a score. Give us the strong and weak points of the game in the form of the game and then give a score