I like Tom McShea and his reviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I know there have been a lot of comments and posts bashing him, criticizng him and accusing him of many things, but honestly, he's one of my favorite reviewers of this era and he's bringing journalism in gaming in the right direction.

I like Tom because he gives his unique, personal and original opinion rather than just saying what people want to hear.  It's always okay for gamer to say that they don't like or don't love a game that's extremely popular.  It hasn't been very acceptable for a critic to do so.  This could explain why GTA IV got a perfect 10 from most critics, yet lots players hate it.  Kevin VanOrd said that the job of a critic isn't to be a mirror of the reader's opinions but rather a portal to the writer's perspective, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Basically, there's a mentality that just because a series is popular, or the game has a giant budget, that it's automatically entitled to a 9.  It just seems to me that if someone were to give a game from the Halo or Half-Life series an 8 out of 10, the response would be "oh, why didn't you like it", but if someone were to give an 8 to an Indie game, the response would be "wow, you must love it".  I don't understand the double standard. 

This degree intolerance for scores under a 9 didn't exist back in the 90's.  Gamespot gave Majora's Mask an 8.3 about 14 years ago.  Had Majora's Mask been given that score now, there would have been a huge rage.  

The fact that him assigning a score between 7 and 9 for a game that is loved by most other critics doesn't make him untrustworthy.  In fact, I think it makes him more trustworthy.  Though, if you believe he deliberately gives games lower scores just to attract views and the high scores he gives are simply token concessions from industry pressure, go ahead and believe that.  If you want to believe he's a Microsoft fanboy, when he gave all 3 Uncharted games 9+ and constantly bashed the Xbox One on twitter, go ahead.  If McShea just buffed all his scores to please you, would that make him more honest?

With The Last of Us, I agree that the video review was offensively curt, but the written review was excellent.  I liked TLOU more than McShea did, but all of the flaws he mentioned were, in fact, spot-on.  I have friends who say it was the best game they ever played and friends who totally agree with McShea's assesment as well.  As a gamer, you have the liberty to express your opinions.  As a critic, if you aren't a walking breathing boilerplate, you will get lots of hate mail.

Reviewers should try to look at things as objectively as possible, but should never strive for their reviews to be 100% objective.  Why?  Because that's impossible.  Reviews are naturally subjective, no matter how much objectivity you can base your opinions on.  There's nothing wrong with a review having a personal perspective, as long as you approach it with an open mind and put care and effort into your craft.

With Pikmin 3, there was nothing offensively wrong with his review other than the fact that people are angry it didn't get an 8.5+, its score was equal to TLOU, and the way he pronounced "Peekmin" made the video review seem like a troll (which I found funny).  To be fair, the Pikmin fanbase was much more mature about it, but still.

With the Skyward Sword review, his score of 7.5 caught lots of controversy.  He said he was a huge Zelda fan, and I believe it.  I've talked to hardcore Zelda fans (not fanboys) and they all agreed with his assessments.  As for the controls, my Wiimote Plus performed accurately 100% of the time, but once I went to a friend's house and the controls worked about 60% of the time(and after 20 minutes of trying to recalibrate it, it still didn't work, which is unacceptable), so it's more of a hardware problem than a software problem, but the controls are still a problem for some Wii's and even some is too many.  While I thought it was a great game, I felt that McShea's review was much better than the reviews that gave it a perfect 10, not mentioning its significant flaws at all.

McShea would have gotten much less hate comments in the 90's, but now it seems gaming is saturated by entitlement and expectations as games have been undergoing an awkward transition from a fad and a pastime to something much more.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Tom, you didn't have to create a new account to try to persuade people to like you and your reviews. The majority of people seem to disagree with your view point.. there is nothing wrong with that. It's your opinion.. thats fine.. the issue is the content of your reviews doesn't seem to match the review score. It doesn't matter though.. GS still pays you so keep doing what your doing unless they threaten to fire you. Your reviews cause lots of people to view them out of the rage that builds from the terrible scores.. works well for GS as they get more hits.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Let's add drekula2 to the Tom McShea fan crowd. Total count: 1 ;)
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Let's add drekula2 to the Tom McShea fan crowd. Total count: 1 ;)

:lol:
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I don't mind him either.

Then again, I'm not someone who gets their panties in a bunch everytime some random reviewer on the internet doesn't like my favorite game.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
He isn't worth all the attention he gets.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I don't mind him either.

Then again, I'm not someone who gets their panties in a bunch everytime some random reviewer on the internet doesn't like my favorite game.

Lucky_Krystal
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
Tom, you didn't have to create a new account to try to persuade people to like you and your reviews. The majority of people seem to disagree with your view point.. there is nothing wrong with that. It's your opinion.. thats fine.. the issue is the content of your reviews doesn't seem to match the review score. It doesn't matter though.. GS still pays you so keep doing what your doing unless they threaten to fire you. Your reviews cause lots of people to view them out of the rage that builds from the terrible scores.. works well for GS as they get more hits. Rattlesnake_8
lol :D But the problem i have with Tom is not his score but that he has to turn everything into a poem or sound like he is reading a poem.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

He actually gives games that I've played around the same score I would.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Hit on the nail with the entitlement issue. The Internet produces more loud-mouthed obnoxious gamers every year.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 drekula2
there is nothing wrong with that. It's your opinion.. thats fine.. the issue is the content of your reviews doesn't seem to match the review score. It doesn't matter though.. Rattlesnake_8
how so? according to gamespot, a 7.5 is a very good game and an 8 is a game that has few flaws and those flaws aren't significant anyway. but according to most people, a 7.5 is alright, but an 8 is good, and only 9's are great games.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drekula2

I don't mind him either.

Lucky_Krystal

I agree with your overall point, but the whole "doesn't like" thing is precisely my point.

An 8/10 signifies a GREAT game on this website, yet if a reviewer gives The Last of Us an 8.0 it means he doesn't like it to many people.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 drekula2

There are reviewers for everyone. If you get hung up on really strange issues that ruin an entire game for you then his reviews are for you. If you seem to suck out all the joy of gaming, then his reviews are for you.  When he craps on a game it's not just him, he represents the entire web site so it's all of gamespot that craps on the game. dvader654

I understand what you're saying.  That he analyzes into the finer details that most gamers don't look into, and that strange annoyances for him might not be a problem for the public in general.

The point is, he still enjoys Skyward Sword and really enjoys The Last of Us.  And the assumption that because a game got less than a 9, the reviewer crapped over it is a big entitlement.  

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
Impossible.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I dislike him for two major reasons

-he doesn't have any consistency between his reviews. He'll describe an aspect of one game positively in one review and do a 180 and describe that same element in adifferent game negatively. A lot of the time it seems his mood determines how he reviews a game and that's just wrong.

-he's made too many factual errors about the games he's reviewed. He's had to edit and change his own reviews because of this.

He's just wishy washy and unreliable. I'd rather my reviewer have a strong and definable opinion on what makes a game good so that I can tell with some degree of certainty where he's coming from.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Millions of people think mcdonalds has good food.

Millions of people think michael bay is a great director.

Millions of people think justin bieber is a great singer and music artist.

Millions of people think honey booboo is a talent star.

Millions of people think dancing with the stars is great television.

Millions of people think tom cruise is an amazing actor.

I dont agree with any of those people. So why would I care what 1 random guy on the internet that I dont even know personally thinks about some video games? He is one out of billions, he means nothing to me and neither does his opinion, just like how every other reviewer on the planet means nothing to me.

A reviewer is just some random person giving their opinion. That makes their opinion just as valid as if you were walking down the street and some person walking the other way stops and says "Hey I loved the new angry birds star wars game" and then kept on walking never to be seen again.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

I like him,It's just the snotty whining brats who don't.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 drekula2

-he's made too many factual errors about the games he's reviewed. He's had to edit and change his own reviews because of this.

Pikminmaniac

He hasn't made a lot of factual errors to my knowledge.  The biggest error players cite is about Skyward Sword's controls and how they aren't infared.

The problem with that criticism of Tom McShea is that it's very superficial.  The controls aren't infared, but they do function like infared.

And it doesn't change the fact that Skyward Swords controls CAN be dysfunctional.  Not that they are, but they CAN be.

Most Wii's wont have a problem with the controls, but SOME CERTAINLY WILL.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 drekula2

I like him,It's just the snotty whining brats who don't.

CUDGEdave

mmmm bacon

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I agree with most of his reviews.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
 yeah, he is the best reviewer on the net... He blatantly takes his own issues with the games and overshadow on how the game actually is. His reviews are sloppy
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

gameofthering

This. Besides, its insane how fans can get there panties all knotted up over one person's opinion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#24 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

HipHopBeats

This. Besides, its insane how fans can get there panties all knotted up over one person's opinion.

i think it's because he is a journalist and the game he reviews are bad overall. Not just when it comes to the score
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#25 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

HipHopBeats

Anyone else how it's mostly PS3 fanboys getting upset over scores for their exclusives? I don't remember seeing a uproar for any xbox/PC/Nintendo game.

(skyward sword aside)

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#26 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Anyone else how it's mostly PS3 fanboys getting upset over scores for their exclusives? I don't remember seeing a uproar for any xbox/PC/Nintendo game.

(skyward sword aside)

speedfreak48t5p

Well I've made the awful mistake of scrolling down to read the comments on quite a few reviews (I should really know better). Some Nintendo fanboys seem to be pissed that Gamespot hasn't given a single 3DS game a 9 yet. People were also really pissed over the Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Project X Zone, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Paper Mario Sticker Star reviews. There are people who kick a fuss over reviews for all platforms. Its not just ps3 fanboys.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

speedfreak48t5p

(skyward sword aside)

I'm a PS3 fan and I didn't feel upset about the 8.0 rating for TLOU. In fact, I agreed with Tom's critiques after completing it. I've seen fans of all platforms catch feelings over  review ratings for their favorite games.

In fact, certain games like GTA IV and Bioshock Ingfinite have been over rated imo. I can imagine the shitstorm to come should GTA V recieve anything lower than a 9.5 rating.

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#29 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

I'll just leave this here...

CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#30 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

My opinion is simple, let the reviewer express his opinion. Done.