I find it hard to sell games, tell me I'm not alone

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

I'm 18 and find it extremely hard to sell games, even if it means profit. When I was in early teenage-hood and below I would sell or swap games without a second thought. But now, collecting older games also, I find myself not wanting to sell them even it I'm making double my money.

Take these for example: I bought Super Mario Kart (SNES) and Super Mario 64 (N64) both boxed with manuals for £10 each, Pokémon Stadium unboxed for £5 and Starfox Adventures for £4. My offers were Mario Kart - £20, Mario 64 - £20, Stadium - £10 and Starfox £6. I'm making profit but I feel emotionally bad if I sell them. All they do is sit on a shelf and get played maybe once every blue moon.

Anyone else get this kind of feeling?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I rarely sell games either. I'm cheap when buying them as I'll usually go for used. Or I'll even just rent the game if I know it's only going to last me like a week. But I just don't feel it's worth it to sell the games I've bought and finished playing through. I always think there's the remote chance I'll play it again ,even if I haven't touched it in years. Then there's the fact that I'd probably only make like $5-10 on each of my older games. And for that price, I'd rather just keep it on my shelf and have it as a part of my collection.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

I think I've only sold a couple games in my entire life. I guess I'm just one of those hoarder collector-types. You never know, what's cheap today could go for super-high prices tomorrow.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Yeah, I don't sell games anymore, I just keep them and add them to my collection. And not for re-sale. For me.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

I rarely sell games either. I'm cheap when buying them as I'll usually go for used. Or I'll even just rent the game if I know it's only going to last me like a week. But I just don't feel it's worth it to sell the games I've bought and finished playing through. I always think there's the remote chance I'll play it again ,even if I haven't touched it in years. Then there's the fact that I'd probably only make like $5-10 on each of my older games. And for that price, I'd rather just keep it on my shelf and have it as a part of my collection.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Selling games is stupid, even for a small profit. If you're making a profit then that means if you ever want to re-acquire them it will cost you heavily.

Things in this industry are changing rapidly, so having physical copies is like owning gold. Services like Playstation Now are banking on gamers selling them and paying fees to play them again digitally.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I hooked up my Dreamcast recently and played some Ready 2 rumble and some other games that I have and they were really fun to play. I don't get rid of games either. You never know when you may want to play them again. Not to mention as time progresses gameplay is lacking so old school games are seemingly more fun to play plus it's cool to compare how games use to look to how they look now. And soon consoles wont exist anymore. Fun times! I would rather collect games than girlfriends!

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

I actually have OCD and have the tendencies of selling my stuff, so I've sold 100+ games throughout my life. I just can't control it. The cure for it was the rise in digital distribution. Now I buy all my games digitally and don't have to worry about my obsession.

bodybyvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bodybyvi
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Thanks for the post

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I never sell games. It's fun collecting them. Then I can game swap with friends for stuff I haven't played and they haven't as well. Variety is the key to stimulation. Having a bigger collection allows you to play a huge variety of games at any given time.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@CoquiNegro said:

I actually have OCD and have the tendencies of selling my stuff, so I've sold 100+ games throughout my life. I just can't control it. The cure for it was the rise in digital distribution. Now I buy all my games digitally and don't have to worry about my obsession.

I can relate to this so very much. I sell and rebuy way too much. I don't just sell games, I sell hardware often too. The good side of digital is that if I sell a PS3 and the physical games, then get the urge to rebuy it, all I have to do for the bulk of my collection is re-download them.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

@Randolph said:

@CoquiNegro said:

I can relate to this so very much. I sell and rebuy way too much. I don't just sell games, I sell hardware often too. The good side of digital is that if I sell a PS3 and the physical games, then get the urge to rebuy it, all I have to do for the bulk of my collection is re-download them.

Exactly. I sold my wii twice and my 360. I really regret selling them, but it was during a period that I could not stop selling my stuff. Luckily now I've been able to hold to them, but if I had physical games I would probably sell them again.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I sell games, but usually at the end of a generation. Never good games with lasting appeal, though. Just games I got for something to play and have been sucked dry.

I used to sell EVERYTHING when I was younger, I had a problem... which is why i'm very careful and savvy these days. So many games and consoles i'd love to have today, like gamecube and Xbox stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998864a726a0
deactivated-5998864a726a0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5998864a726a0
Member since 2014 • 105 Posts

When i buy a game, i m feel good. Im feel good because i feel that i have a treasure. I dont like sell games, i want it for all my life.

farazahmed83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 farazahmed83
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I like simple versions of the games like bejeweled, solitaire, Free Goblin Coins etc.

crewe8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 crewe8
Member since 2008 • 703 Posts

I must be the only one that will sell games then.. If i haven't played it within 6 months i will sell it, or if it is a story game and i complete the story i will sell it, there was only one game i re-brought that was gta v , i completed it in about a month, sold it and rebrought it about a year or so later when it was on platium ( but hardly played it )

Now i have the ps4, i've sold all my ps3 games, just got the games i've downloaded on psn.

And within the last week i sold my wii and all the games ( as i've only played it once in about 18 months )

Sometimes cash is king !

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I stopped selling them in the Gamecube era. I'm not a "collector" on purpose. I just don't sell things once I buy them.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

First of all, this is the internet. You're never "alone". It's never "just you". Not ever.

But to the point of the thread, I completely agree. I still have my Pong console. Not a cartridge, the console. I still have my Atari VCS 2600, my ColecoVision, my original NES (and it works too), etc, etc. And the cartridges and discs that I collected over the years are all stored safely in the same place.

The only time I sold off any of them was a time of financial crisis. And even then while I was happy to make the sacrifice, it was a last resort. And once the crisis passed, I went about reacquiring most of the games I let go of once again. The only casualty of that time is my N64. But it was originally a present from X-wife, so I never bothered to replace it. I do still wish I had WWF: No Mercy though.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play some Time Pilot.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I've only ever sold games when I've needed money when I was in bad times, and I sold my ps3 collection for cheap and made no profit, I still have my ps2 games from now on I'm going to collect games because I love being a collector love showing off

LightEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By LightEffect
Member since 2012 • 63 Posts

I keep most every game. I used to sell a couple but never good games, mainly ones that were bad before I read reviews. I want to always own the game so if I ever feel like playing it again I can. It's just fun to go back to older games like Donkey Kong Country on my SNES. Replay about once a year.